main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The thing that confused me most when I first started reading SW...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    When I first started reading HttE I was really young. I had no idea what a bridge was other than a thing bridging a river, and I didn't know what batteries were other than little coppertop type stuff. So when it was talking about turbolaser batteries opening up while Pellaeon stood on the mock-bridge, I was absolutely lost.

Sorry, it just popped into my head...it's funny what you remember...

2. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I think that you have to have watched the movies first to possibly understand.

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I had seen the movies, but I don't think they use the terms "turbolaser battery" or "bridge" in them. Maybe bridge, I don't really recall.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I think they reffered to them as gun batteries in ANH. Anyway, I tended to have a fairly good understanding of various things when I was young, somethings though I would have been like you. Sometimes, though, my knowledge was fairly shocking. Of course, this was all compensated for in other fields of knowledge, making me in no way a genius. I think sometimes we just tend to know things, maybe picking them up from various sources without realizing it.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I remeber an officer saying "Sir we've lost or bridge deflector sheild" Then Peitt saying " Intenseify the forward batteries I don't want anything to get thourgh" In ROTJ.

6. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    I think I just picked it up from context. Of course, it might very well have been a non-SW book I picked it up from, and I just don't remember...

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Yeah, that scene in ROTJ helped, plus I've been watching war movies with my dad since the early 80s, and he was in the Navy, so I already knew quite a bit about ships.

wk

8. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I had the same problem with vocabulary when I was six or seven, because I started reading things that were beyond my age group and sometimes beyond my understanding. As a result, I have really weird pronounciations sometimes (like pronouncing ceramic as creamic), and people ask me, "What does that word mean?" at least four times a day.

9. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Though I don't often show it, I have a pretty good vocabulary. I also don't mind coming across new words then I get to run to my dictionary to see what they mean.

10. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I have learned much from SW. Without SW, I wouldn't know much about politics, real ships, survival... not that I know that much :p

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    One should look up a word a day in the dictionary, just to keep one's mind sharp.

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Dude, exactly. I've learned a lot of words through the EU, which was my first big reading experiance. I always managed to figure out words through context, but I do remember 'batteries' had me at a loss for more than a few seconds. I'm sure I didn't understand quite a few things in JAT, which were my first 'adult' (hehe) novels.

What is really sad is that people in English class at school don't know the meanings of words like that and I'm in the 10th grade. It goes so far that I laugh when some people are called upon to read outloud (I know its mean [face_devil] ). Ignorance sure is funny.

13. ZamWesell

ZamWesell Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    hey _Tenel_Ka_ I too have often had the same problem with pronouncing words that no ever has the need to say in normal context throughout the day. I had the biggest problem with the word "sift."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.