main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Think-Tank: NSWRPF Flagship Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Kalio_Dynkos, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Good question. I feel like he ought to be here, and his absence makes me wonder.

2. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    even if we did a HP game just like KH i wouldn't play do to lack of knowledge

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So you'd rather learn about whatever game world(s) and system we devise, as opposed to an established universe like Kingdom Hearts or Harry Potter?

Don't think I'm criticizing, I mean I'd rather invent something new than use some existing fandom anyway - I'm just curious, is all.

4. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    It's just that for me, a new world to me doesnt have all the huge story build up of franchises. And although we are all familiar with at least a few, joining a game thst just been made doesnt have this feeeling i need to know alllt his stuff or im going to be hopelessly lost.

I hope my point made it threw

5. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    Remember when we used to say things in this thread?

6. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Think we're still waiting on a poll of some sort ...

7. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    I don't see what that has to do with our total drought of discussion.

8. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    That info must have never trickled down to this thread. I think I wrote it to Kalio, and that was it. Hmmm...

Well, I hope you aren't waiting on the poll, b/c its going to be hard to make happen...

The RPF isn't set for polling, and I think I need to be a manager to change that...

Now I can ask someone else to, but theres a few things...

1.) Did I see that we've actually re-decided on a game? There was talk about doing one genre, but was that for naught? If so, then we're back with the portal/multi-world game, yes?

*IF SO, THEN*

2.) Polls only allow for one choice per username. I think it would be better to have any surveying done via thread posts. If its important that this has its own thread, then just make one, and have people put there top three choices in the form of normal posts. Then you can have multi-preferences, and there you go. Someone can count em up, and you have all your info.

Sorry for the delay in this post. After my trip to Illinois, I had like one day, and then a busy weekend. *HOPEFULLY* this week will allow me to catch up everywhere.

Thanks!
    -I_H

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    So, let's narrow it down. Here's what we need to decide. These were basically, I think, gonna be the topics of the polls:

1st question: Original setting or Established franchise (I've seen Harry Potter and Kingdom Hearts as suggestions)
  10. Well, this is pretty self-explanatory. We spent most of the thread planning around an original setting, then along comes a few people suggesting franchises, such as Harry Potter or Kingdom Hearts. The arguments in favor of franchises are pretty easy: A franchise brings with it an established audience, a bit of a guaranteed readership and hopefully guaranteed participation. It also brings with it the established prejudices. For everyone here that likes a given franchise, there's at least one person who'd never play a game in that franchise. On the other hand, the common arguments in favor of the original setting are that it's a clean slate so we can do anything. The most popular against is that for original content, we've got no pedigree to draw in players.

11. 2nd question: One world or multiple worlds
  12. This assumes the original idea. There were two prevailing ideas, both of which centered around the concept of multiple....genres. The idea that I saw first was the multiple worlds theory. This idea was that there were multiple worlds connected to each other through the Nexus, a world that connected all other worlds. The main advantages of this is the freedom and the potential modularity. In multiple worlds, we can add any worlds we want with minimum difficulty; It's not too hard to justify any world in this. We can easily throw futuristic Cyberpunk against fantasy warriors. The difficulties come from balancing said futuristic technophiles versus the sword-and-sorcery types (for example). The other big, but kinda nebulous issue could perhaps be the old axiom about freedom being paralyzing. The one-world idea states that these genres existed together on the same planet, possibly even an alternate past Earth. For example, Britain would become our Steampunk Empire. Perhaps central Europe (I know we were talking Greenland before, but, I think Romania-Transylvania etc. would work better, seeing as how it's the home of Dracula and not too tough to shoehorn other horror-type stories into that neighborhood) as the fantasy/horror locale. America would cover Wild West in the South and the frontier and a bit of Golden Age Superhero/Crime Drama covering a big city in the Northeast (roughly 1940s-'50s). In the single-world's favor is the simplicity. There's no big dimension-hopping pseudo-science required, no multiple world-histories for players and GMs to memorize, just one world with a common history. The major con is that this is more limiting than the multi-worlds plan. We can't really expand as much. We can only logically cover a few genres with a pretty similar timeframe, otherwise we'd have future space marines dropping in with flamethrowers and pulse rifles and pwning everything in sight.

13. 3rd question: genres?
  14. This isn't a simple one-or-the-other question. There's literally dozens of possibilities, and we need to figure out the worlds or nations we'd do and what kind of stuff is possible there. The common suggestions are Fantasy, Steampunk, Wild West, Mafia, Superheroes, Lovecraftian-style horror, Sci-Fi (only really works in multi-worlds) etc. Generally, we've come up with 3 as a good starting number.

15. So, here's another idea that just popped into my head as I followed one of the links on TF.N's little list o' news: [link=http://www.sillof.com/C-Steampunk-SW.htm]Steampunk Star Wars[/link]. We've already established that Star Wars is likely to be the only franchise commonly liked by everyone here, given that it's a Star Wars board, and Steampunk has been one of the uniting franchises in all our discussions. I bet we could have some fun with that...

16. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    I have to say its interesting.

Not to mention until this thread started I had no idea what steampunk was but i think i like what i see.

Although i still favor the multi genre single world concept.

In short I think you hit and gathered everything together plain and simple in a pretty good way

17. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    I would hesitate before we did a 'steampunk Star Wars' type thing. That would strike me almost as something that would belong in the SWRPF, and I think one of the goals of the Flagship Project should be to show what the NSWRPF can do that the SWRPF can't.

And this thread's really in a bad state. I can't remember who we put in charge of it, but I am 100% in support of removing their leadership status. They have failed.

18. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    And this thread's really in a bad state. I can't remember who we put in charge of it, but I am 100% in support of removing their leadership status. They have failed.

I would not be opposed to this. Its time for this project to be re-awakened. Anyone who wants to grab the open reigns and take charge should speak up.

-I_H

19. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Hmmm... we need to restimulate interest in the conversation in a way that simple BUMPing cannot do.

Everyone pretend to be having an interesting conversation, quick!

Blah blah blah blah blah Game Mechanics. Blah blah blah blah blah Large Player Base.

:p

20. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    blah blah blah steampunk cowboy apocalypse blah blah blah gothic horror blah blah blah sounds like a plan blah blah blah

21. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    HEHEHE....

It was Darth_Elu I think, although Kalio_Dynkos was sort of the second. If we do switch, then we must be certain the person can be desicive and such. I believe that rules me out ;)

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, if Darth_Elu has disappeared, surely it falls to Kalio now, no? Somebody needs to take responsibility and get things moving again. I would have thought it's a little farcical to conduct a second GM election when you've got a clear alternative candidate. Nobody else seems to have put their hand up, so why doesn't someone PM Kalio and ask him to get back on board, if Darth_Elu is not interested or doesn't respond? IMHHO.

I find it a little ... unfortunate ... that the game has lost its GM during the planning stage, chaps. Though I suppose we should all be happy this didn't happen during the running of the game.

23. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Sent Elu and Kailo PMs asking what happened and suggesting they come back. I forgot to include links, so we'll just have to keep the thread bumped until they find their ways back, ok?

24. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    We might be waiting quite a while ladies and gents. Kalio hasn't logged in for a week (and hasn't posted for about a month), and Elu hasn't logged or posted in for about 2 and a 1/2. Those kind of absences are troublesome. I'm at least open to entertaining the thought of 3rd party candidates. Preferably someone a bit more active.

-I_H

25. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    I agree, and like i said reject myself as not ready to handle a full GM stuff

26. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, I'm just glad this happened now and not when the game actually started.

We had a few people wanting to be sub-GMs/faction leaders ... perhaps one of you guys could be Flagmaster?

27. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    It might be better to wait before we pick a definite leader. We seemed to get along better back when the thread was less organized.

28. The_Jesstar

The_Jesstar Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't think you necessarily have to pick a GM now, but someone to organise your thoughts all into a coherent state and get the game plannign back on track. Whether they become GM in the end or not is not really important.

I must admit I haven't taken the time to read ALL of this thread, but I've been skimming over, and you were ont he right track for a while, but you're going in circles a little now.

29. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Despite the absurd amount of **** on my plate over the next couple days, I'm very tempted to volunteer to lead the discussion if no one else steps up, at least until the rightful heirs return, that is.

However, if I lead, I've gotta say I'm a bit biased and would focus a great deal of the discussion on story and probably somewhat neglect gameplay issues. Perhaps if someone gameplay-oriented stepped up, we could run a joint thread-leader thing until our original fearless leaders return.

30. The_Jesstar

The_Jesstar Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    At this stage, Seph, any discussion is better than what's happening now, which is nothing. ;)

31. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    *runs in panting*

He-Hello all...Sorry, been lazy and have had some stuff on my plate as well. Before we begin to jump right back into things, I need to speak to Kalio. Has he been on lately?

To be honest, as of late, I'm not sure if I could lead this. Thought I could, but all of a sudden, ya know. So I'll discuss some things with the second-in-command and see what comes of it. How is everyone otherwise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.