main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Third Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    How many Drafts are we gonna do?

Not one.

Not two ...

How many times will the opening post of a basketball draft contain that joke? Not one, not two ...

Anyways, let's get down to business here. This is the thread where I play David Stern, EmpireForever plays Adam Silver, and the rest of you play Pat Riley/Dork Elvis/Danny Ferry/Isiah Thomas.

Basically, you're trying to put together the best basketball team ever.

[​IMG]

We've done this before.

Check out:

The First Basketball Draft (Won by EmpireForever) - any player, any time
    The Basketball Draft II (won by tom) - limited to 2012/13 players

Now, how do we play this game? Two types of participants are needed, and five phases are utilized.

The Participants:

1) The Commish and Co-Commish. That's me. And EmpireForever. It's our job to randomize draft order, post matches and results, and keep the game flowing.
    2) The GMs. There will be 8 or 12 of these. It's your job through the draft, free agency and trades to build your team, select your starting lineup, and create your sub strategy.

The Phases of the Game:

1) The Draft.

The GMs will be randomized into an order that will reverse every round. This will continue for 12 rounds. When your turn to pick is up, you will have 24 hours to make your selection. When making a selection, you will need to specify a specific year this draft, as it is an all-time draft.

During the draft, trades of players and future picks can be made. All parties must produce a private conversation and involve the Commish. The Commish has the ability to veto any trade.

You will also have the opportunity to name a "home arena" for your games. This can be done at any time during drafting, and need not be unique to your team (that is, two different GMs can pick the same Arena .. hell, every GM could). You should also feel free to designate a head coach, which will have no impact whatsoever on the game. But it's fun.

2) Free Agency Period

The GMs will be given 48 hours after the close of drafting to make add/drops to their team. Once they are done, they will post their final roster and team name. Trades can be done during this time, with the same rules as above. Once this phase is done, rosters are locked, and no trades or add/drops can be done, until midway through the season when a second Free Agency Period will open.

3) Regular Season

This is conditional ...

If we get 8 GMs ...

Each team will play the other team four times, with each team being designated as "home" for two of the games. When the schedule is posted for the next set of games, each GM will have 24 hours to post their starting lineup. The GM will also post their first and second sub at each position, and target minutes for each player at each position.

Then, the games will be simulated at www.whatifsports.com. The Commish will provide the results and box scores, as well as any exciting/amusing acts from the simulation. All four games will be simulated back-to-back-to-back-to-back, and lineup changes will not be permitted during the four game series. Lineup changes will always be permitted between series.

If we get 12, 6 per conference and 4 games against in-conference teams and 2 games against out of conference teams.

4) The Playoffs

For eight teams, the top four teams will advance to the playoffs. The #1 team in the regular season will play the #4 team, and the #2 will play the #3. These will be best 4-of-7 series. Each GM will be allowed to change their starting lineup and sub strategy between each game.For ten or twelve teams, the top three in each conference will make the playoffs, with the top seed getting a bye to the conference finals.

In the case of a tie for determining who will advance to the playoffs (or to determine seed), the following tie-breakers will be used:

• Record in games involving tied teams
    • Margin of victory in games involving tied teams
    • Overall Margin of Victory
    • One Game Playoff
    The winners of each playoff series will continue to advance until only one team stands. Again, each GM will be allowed to change their starting lineup and sub strategy between each game.

5) The Championship Parade

The winner of the championship game will be given a parade in his honor, with the mayor blocking off much of downtown. Or, well, Game winner VIPship and colors for a week.
    But, before we get to any of that, we need to finish the preliminary phase. Sign-ups!
    Once we have all our participants, we'll play.

And, we'll still look into other sports such as Baseball, Football, hockey, and even college basketball or football in the future!

Good luck, and let's see who can come out on top!

1) tom (defending champion)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

* - Spot not guaranteed

To sign up, just copy/past the list and add your name to it.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    may as well, since i made the finals last time. before lebron destroyed me.

2) the great no one
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

I give you the official soundtrack.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This is all-time, right? Might want to fix that in the 1. Draft section.

Or did we change out minds?

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think it was all-time. At least that's what was being discussed most recently.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Damn copy/paste. Point Given, can you fix that?

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5) PG
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what did we end up deciding on wilt?

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No restrictions

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'd rather limit when you can take him personally, but *shrugs*.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5) PG
    6) Tunick
    7)
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

The no restrictions on Wilt doesn't bother me at all.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    In.

2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5) PG
    6) Tunick
    7) heels
    8)
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Bring it on! :)

2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5) PG
    6) Tunick
    7) heels
    8) DLOTE
    9*)
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    2) the great no one
    3) sexy boy prenn
    4) JG
    5) PG
    6) Tunick
    7) heels
    8) DLOTE
    9*) RX_Sith
    10*)
    11*)
    12*)

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I just had a thought regarding Wilt: What if we limit his minutes? If you wanted another option. If we leave it unrestricted I don't think it will be a problem. It was just an idea I had too late.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Put him on a 30 minutes per game cap? I like it.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sounds good to me. could limit first rounders in general, to make it more fair to everyone. or have a rule that everyone has to play at least a minute or something.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nah, the whole point of a restriction on wilt is that he's such a huge outlier. limiting the rest of the first rounders would defeat the purpose. but i would vote yes on a 30 minute cap for wilt only.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree with tom

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    it was more ensuring everyone plays that seemed more interesting to me. limit wilt more, yes, for that, however.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I disagree with any sort of limits on Wilt, but it's obvious I'm in the minority opinion here. :p

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    tunick, you're in the minority because you're WRONG

The Great No One likes this.