main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Thrawn Trilogy - My Brutally Honest Review

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthGaul, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's written in third person.

2. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006

I know, but there has to be some explanation. Perhaps it isn't really canon. Whatever.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or it was canon for a short time and then the writer of the Dark Empire Sourcebook took it upon themselves to decanonize it.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And? Delta Source is still an important part of what gives Thrawn his ability to often be two/three steeps ahead of the Republic. Without it he would still be a highly competent warlord and threat to the NR but he would not have come so far as he did.
    There was also one fallen Jedi, don't remember his name, in one of the WotCbooks or internet supplements that was practically immortal thanks to lots and lots of hidden clone chambers all over the galaxy and everytimehe was killed or was becoming to old he transported his soul into a new clone. Beside paranoia over peoplefindinghis hidden clone bodies so did he not seem to have any realdownsideswiththewholethingwhatIrecall.

5. Darth_Calgmoth

Jul 7, 2006

The whole Droga stuff isn't from the Dark Empire Sourcebook but I get your point. The problems there have to do with the beginning of the EU in the 1990s. We have effectively three continuations of the movies at this point (four, if we add the Marvel comics). TTT, DE (during the writing process successfully retconned as taking place after TTT), and the Jedi Prince series.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Jorus may have been envisioned differently when TTT was written. Joruus was going to be a clone of Obi-Wan but Story Group rejected that idea.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Did Delta Source even make it into the comics adaptation of TTT? I don't remeber it being there. I mean, I think they may have shown the trees, but I don't remember it being acknowledged. It has been a while since I read them, though.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    there was no story group at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure there was. It was called Lucas. Some things had to be run past him, back then.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lucas isn't the Story Group, though. they may have filled similar roles but the Story Group is a post-Lucas, post-Disney acquisition thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't have the comics in front of me but what I remember so was it there

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The name "story group" wasn't there, but there were people in LFL who maintained continuity.

Son of a Bith and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Darth_Calgmoth

Jul 7, 2006
    I know that, and it is quite clear that an Obi-Wan clone would have been somewhat different (more like Obi-Wan, I guess) but my point was more that the original Jorus in OB turned out to be pretty much like the clone character-wise.

The Noghri were originally supposed to be the Sith and I don't think that Zahn changed much there. The whole focus of Vader being 'the lord' and Leia being his daughter attests to that.

Slater, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's true that I expected Jorus to be a little more mellow than he was in OBF... Given his impressive resumé and all, I expected him to be more like Dooku. (BTW, you people have no idea how excited I was back in the day when James Luceno gave C'baoth a cameo in Cloak of Deception).

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's pretty likely that Jorus turning about to be about as crazy as his clone was partly a retcon for "clone madness" not really being a thing once we actually saw the Clone Wars.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Those clones were 10+ years old rather than 1 year or less though. It's true that few prequel-era stories even hinted at it. That said, "mad Force Sensitive Clones" did crop up in the Legendsverse after C'baoth - Galen Marek's in TFU2, possibly some in Galaxy of Fear, and the people in Riptide.

Arawn_Fenn and Gamiel like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.
    Going by the fact that Zahn didn't write TTT with DE in mind yet still gave Palpatine a secret cloning facility, I suspect that GL told Zahn that Palpatine engineered the Clone Wars so that the Senate would give him more and more power until he became an Emperor. Zahn's intention may have been that Palpatine created Joruus to be part of whatever faction used clones in the Clone Wars (and perhaps was discarded for being too ambitious for Palpatine's liking).

Slater, Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  18. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    I doubt that GL said anything to Zahn. Probably only got some vague references from his PR manager about what sort of thing Lucas's "Clone Wars" was about. I chalk it up to the publisher just shrugging their shoulders and telling him Palpy probably created them to take over the Republic...so just go with that.

19. Darth_Calgmoth

Jul 7, 2006

Oh, Zahn has some sort of background stuff in TTT about the Clone Wars being some sort of war fought against some (mad) clones the (Republic/Imperial) fleet was fighting against at one point. There are vague references to all that.

However, those do not explain why the hell Palpatine (or anyone, really) should want to clone Jorus C'baoth of all people. There is this talk about the Emperor's guardian protecting Mount Tantiss and some people have theorized Joruus might be that guy and just wrongly believe that he killed him. But that's really convoluted. If Palpatine (or whoever cloned C'baoth) could manipulate the clone's memory - and we know he could - why not shape it a way that this guy believes he is that guardian? Why make him believe he was the Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth and not somebody else? C'baoth sort of acted as a guarding of the mountain but only because he had means to leave the planet.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Actually if you read the Special Edition of Heir to the Empire George and Zahn did talk quite a bit on certain things if i recall.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas simply didn't have everything figured out for what would eventually end up being the PT during the 80's and early 90's, the information he gave WEG left them with a timeline where the Clone Wars happened around the time TPM ended up taking place, which is the timeline Zahn based his dates on for the TT.

22. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    That's suprising....almost I suppose. GL usually wasn't interested in the EU novels, but I guess he had to give some sort of general info so Zahn could get a "vision" of where the character could possibly go. Then again, it was Lucas's franchise....so I'm sure he had hand in just about everything to keep a level of control.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    George wasn't involved in the EU. The authors worked with Lucasfilm and Lucas Books.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ehhh, not quite. Before it became THE THING IT WAS, George read the comic books and approved all of the story outlines.

He stopped well before Del Ray but still gave the occasional permission like killing Chewbacca and marrying Luke to Mara.

George meddles in projects which intrigue him as is his right--like when he made the nerfshavit insane plot for the Darth Maul game (when Maul was really most sincerely dead) guest-starring Darth Talon.

He also is the guy who said they should do Vader's apprentice for The Force Unleashed.