main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Three Strike Policy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Errant_Venture, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    And here I thought I missed something... important for two days [face_frustrated]

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    So, I've asked this many times, but will we actually get notified when we receive a strike?

3. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    We should do that, shouldn't we? I think we will, too. Didn't happen since I'm mod, though.

The best thing, of course, is not to start one!

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Granted, but it's still handy to have a running tally of how many you've accrued.

5. Darth_Dominious

Darth_Dominious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
  6. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    What is this, california? What if my 1st two strikes are misdeamenors like driving with proof of insurance, and petty theft...my third is shoplifting (value under 50 bucks) I should get 25 ta life??? Is this a case by case basis or is there a matrix which filters out the EVILDOERS? Sigh. Like Burroughs said this is "A nation of finks". The thoughtpolice are everywhere.

[face_plain]

7. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    so how tightly censored are these forums? Do you accept [strilo edit: no we don't]

Excuse me, but how are we to know what is unacceptable if it is edited out?

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Think "family friendly"
    If it's questionable, ask a mod.
    But even if you post it, it doesn't always end up in admin notes, only if it's repeated.
    I know, I'm replying to old posts here, but better late than never. And, currently we have a thread about this in Comms.

This thread is about inciting canon wars, after all. Which has nothing to do with a thought police.

9. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    The three strike policy sounds fair enough to me.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Hey, a vote of confidence. Cool! :D

11. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Once the ban has been served, the user is put on the 2-strike system, which is one warning and then a ban. The ban time is then doubled and this will repeat until the user is perm-banned.

This sounds like Baseball's Steroid Policy. :p

10 strikes before you're out. ;)

12. Wutang

Wutang Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    Sounds like a great policy.

13. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    What a crazy policy.

Who thought this junk up? [face_whistling]

14. lookatitthisway

lookatitthisway Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    whos been watching baseball and most importanly who has time for deleting users with picture and a near - humourous saying on the bottom . WHO ???
    white male , seeking indian jew with an irish parentage .
    so we just keep checking off name s till we get to the botom of this .

15. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Is this for real? It seems pretty silly to me. Why even bother with a three strike policy? If someone is being a jerk, the mods should have the stones to ban them on the first offense. Wait a sec?that might include me! Anyway, even if someone is banned how hard is it to create a new e-mail address and sign up again?

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    And yet, how hard is it for a mod to check an IP address and ban again?

When the policy was put into place, things were much, much worse than they are now. However, there is nothing wrong with keeping it in place as a preventitive measure.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    This thing was a must back in the day and now thankfully either A) it fixed the problem or B) certain individuals either left or were banned. I must admit with Bib gone life is so much easier.

And its easy to ban. But saying "OMG the EU is crap" is worthy of a strike but not a ban. Hence the strikes. I still enforce it on a semi-regular basis. Its more picking and choosing just to show that the thing is still enforced to a degree. But now most people don't bother to get into the canon debates so my example of "OMG the EU is crap" now more often than not gets ignored. Instead of a reply. Which leads to another reply...

18. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Can someone please explain the history of this forum's Canon Wars?!

Pretty interesting for a forum newbie! :)

19. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Darth-Naga-Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    i dnt get it wut is a canon war?

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, for starters I'd suggest looking under the inactive forums category on the main boards page and reading up on the CT Canon Wars focus group stuff. Essentially, some of us (myself included) seemed to be able to turn literally every thread into a canon war, and it was getting tiresome.

We didn't hate each other - far from it. We just couldn't agree on the subject of the EU. We got together in a private forum and came up with a policy together, and since then there have been very few problems.

Those are the very basics... but the wars go much further back, from before I even registered here.

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Oh yeah much too long to tell that and I'm too lazy to give a detailed description. JMO's is a nice short short version but for more you can go... here for a very detailed description.

22. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    I've only been on this forum for a few days, but I like to read the heck out of a forum before I start posting, to see the tone, the people and sometimes if I even want to be a part of it (some car forums are absolutely brutal when it comes to people being disrespectful). I haven't seen TOO MUCH of that here...the occassional, "get it through your heads" type of thing...which might be on the verge of disrespectful (especially when what you're telling them to get into their heads is just your opinion), but I don't see it as a ban offence. Everyone has to learn that these are only words and to take things with a grain of salt, and if you're a 30 year old man arguing with a 13 year old...relax, and take the more mature road that your age should indicate.

That having been said, I would have to say that I do see a certain bias towards the EU here...but purists kind of tick me off more than they do, so....and the only EU stuff I've ever read was the Bounty Hunter book many years ago, and I only bought and read that because Boba Fett was on the cover;).

To be honest, I don't see why anyone has to fight about anything... debate it, keep your criticisms to the point, and don't be as fragile as an egg anytime someone doesn't agree with you... Sticks and Stones people...but some people are only here to stir the pot, they don't even seem like they like Star Wars... I love Star Wars, I have a picture of me watching Star Wars in the theatre when I was 2 shaking my fist at Darth Vader, and in my intoxicated teenaged years, we watched the OT soo many times I can't even venture a guess on how many times... Because I'm a Star Wars fan, I value all different views on the subject, especially on something that the movies left open to debate...that's why they were left, so we could all discuss.

But the people that are just here to trash talk, we could do without... a little trash talking is fine...but if you only joined a Star Trek forum so you could insult everyone and call them Trekkie losers that need a life, then you don't belong, and the same goes here... but if I were to say "I guess you could do better than George Lucas" after you critcize him, I think that's valid. And I've generally seen good behavior on this site so keep it up, and remember... "do not give in to anger and hate...the Dark side are they..."

Keep open the clean debates... there is room for all of us here, even for people like me who have no idea who this Aayla Secura person is[face_thinking];)=D=

23. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    (ignore... I was testing something and accidentally hit reply instead of preview)

24. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I'm gonna need more then 3 strikes look at my signature.

;)

LOL

25. Darth_Masticator

Darth_Masticator Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    and the bureaucracy grows ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.