main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The throne room Praetorian Guard fight scene!!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So - What did you guys think of Rey and Kylo vs the Praetorian Guard??

I thought this was the best SW fight scene since Qui Gon and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul! I was disappointed we didn't get a traditional lightsaber fight in the film BUT this certainly made up for that. I hated the idea of these guys before the film and thought "I'll wait to see them in action to make a proper assessment..." They were great! :cool: (Side note - Are they human?)

I saw this film with about 20 guys and this was the scene everyone was talking about! Highlight - The guard that gets the reverse saber through the face from Kylo. Awesome.

Thoughts?

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Definitely one of the best combat sequences in all of Star Wars. The color palette, the cheoreography, the chemistry of Rey and Ben. The flames. The way the guards moved. All of it was incredible.

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    So so good. It's the kind of fight you'd imagine should have been in the prequels. Choreography and cinematography were both top notch.

Strongbow and Avnar like this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I thought it was a good fight, but at the same time, felt like Reylo fan fiction. So I’m 50/50.

Sarge and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I hear what you are saying... I loved it and during our "SW debrief" after the film (over a few beers :D ) we came to the (obvious) conclusion that they were helping each other hoping for different outcomes. Rey wanted to redeem Kylo and Kylo wanted Rey to join him. They just needed to deal with the guards first who were pissed about Snoke! So I wasn't too concerned about the Reylo angle... Both seemed sure the other would see things their way based on the force connection [face_thinking]

6. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    I loved the fight so much! I'm not sure but does someone else noticed the Praetorian guard being cut in small pieces by some sort of blender?

7. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    It looked good but Rey and Kylo struggling against a few guards, when they have been built up to be ridiculously powerful didn't sit right with me.

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    On the contrary we should be glad they (Rey and Kylo) are not crazily over-powered! The guards were also clearly the best of the best... Even the Magna guards put up a decent fight against Obi Wan and Anakin and there were only two of them! This was 2 vs 8 and they barely got a scratch :cool:

Yora - Yes you are remembering that correctly! I wonder what that machine was...?

9. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    It was an awesome fight. On the best and coolest i have seen in Star Wars. But Snoke was already dead right? Hux coming into the throne - room later finding Snoke. And the rest of his body fall off his chair haha

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It was epic - one of the best fight scenes in the whole saga , really awesome stuff .

11. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Looked like a fantasy video game sequence. Very poorly shot as well just another lift from the ROTS & ROTJ Throne room scenes minus the top natch actors & music.

Sarge and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  12. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    It was brilliantly executed. The light and the dark working together

Tobi likes this.
  13. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    the entire sequence from Snokes interrogation of Rey, Kylo killing him, and then the fight is probably the best sequence in SW history. Only other one that comes close is Vadar and Luke in ESB.

MaciekRS, hermiona52 and Ruffmeian like this.
  14. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    The crowd I was with really loved it. I think it was the combination of the choreography and, perhaps, the crowd was pulling for Ren to end up as the good guy. It was a very interesting dynamic.

JediLight and Mostly Handless like this.
  15. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I loved it. It makes me really excited to see them battle in IX. Rey's scream half way in and Kylo's lethal ferocity in the way he fights... So good. I can't wait to see more.

It made for a very impactful emotional roller coaster, too.

16. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I actually laughed at that. It was like... some sort of lightning or something? I thought I saw blue light in it. I see it again tomorrow, so I'll watch for it.

17. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

their were massive cheers when Kylo killed Snoke.... I have never in my life heard the massive cheering that took place when Kylo and Rey ignited their lightsabers.

18. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It was just another fight scene. The two of them against faceless, nameless mute cannon fodder, no different from your average Stormtrooper. They really should have been fighting the Ren Knights, there's at least some backstory there. Or Snoke. They took down the supposedly powerful main baddie out like a joke, but struggled to fight some random goons. I don't see anything special in this average action scene.

Darth Stratocaster likes this.
  19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    In my theatre the Lightsaber-ignition-through-head got cheers.

moonjump05 likes this.
  20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Fantastic scene. Actually made Snokes guards menacing, something the OT never did with the Emperors Royal Guards.

However, it kind feels like it came a movie to early.

21. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

yep that too. That entire scene was getting audible response from the crowd. But when they both lit their lightsabers the entire crowd went nuts... pure pandemonium.

Gamma626 likes this.
  22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014

Same here. It was a serious crowd pleaser.

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Relly chocked when i see this scene, well done!!

24. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    Kylo has started a killing trend, I think.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    One of my favorite sequences in the film. One of the most intriguing elements that wasn't explored in past films was the mysterious red guards and what they're capable of. Reminded me a bit of the Mangaguard fight from Revenge of the Sith in terms of non-lightsaber combatants taking on the heroes (and actually putting up a fight). Speaking of ROTS, the last time we saw a lightsaber ignition kill was the deleted scene where Grievous killed Shaak-Ti.