main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ticket-touting scum *******!!! Named and shamed!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Happy Ninja, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Given the obvious demand they were going to get for this, perhaps UCI should have enforced a two tickets per person max - most people are going to go with someone, meaning less chance of people buying extra tickets to sell on.

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    It would be fairer than the prices we're seeing now, but still not as fair as at cost (£50 ticket + booking fee). Remember we're all fans here and should treat each other the way we'd like to be treated.

I know it sounds corny but think about it, if you hadn't been able to get tickets wouldn't you like it better if another fan asked only that you covered the cost and maybe got them a drink or something on the day. If it were reversed would you like someone who says there a fan to say to you "you can come but only if you pay for me"? Since it was such luck of the draw who got through we should think of this as a time to help other fans, not try and cover our own cost or (worse) profit from their misery!

3. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    making a profit never came into my mind when i passed on my spares and i don't regret that looking at the prices on ebay.

i, like some others, was extraordinarily lucky and got onto the booking site twice. thinking i wouldnt be able to use my card twice i quickly asked people on my msn, the second person i tried and first who answered was RajVader. he tried to give me his cc details but it took too long and i got a sold out message as i tried to process the order. because i let him down i instantly offered him my spares at cost (rather than giving it to people higher on the list or who had helped organise things etc). he kindly offered my a place to stay on the monday night so i wouldn't either miss my coach, miss ROTS or fork out money for a hotel. this is from someone who i met the day before on an internet chat board. such generosity is wonderful and would only be felt amongst fans

sorry for the blabber, but the moral of the story is always add strangers to MSN lists and don't rip off people who have to sit next to you for 14 hours :p

4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Well said Stuey, and thanks for helping Raj out. From our chats on MSN he seems like a great guy and I can't wait to meet him, and the rest of you, on the day.

5. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    indeed - thank you Stuey !! :D :D Like I said, next premiere's happening in Wales so be prepared..... ;-) I must admit I was a little shocked when you asked me for my credit card/uci account details ..... - I was thinking so fast I forgot my password ! :p By that stage I had implicit trust in everyone on MSN - if we'd all managed to get tickets I'm sure there would have been a hell of a lot more spares floating around. You offered me those spares without hesitation - I won't be forgetting that in a hurry! A role model for us all :)

I think it was brilliant the way people got together on MSN - the atmosphere online was electrifying.

I agree Chris, it should be a time to help out other fans - I'm sure there'll be people there 'just for a laugh', but 14 hours is a long time for someone who doesn't like Star Wars as much as we do! Oh, and I agree, I am a great guy :D :D

6. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    you were incredibly trusting, the chat went something along the lines of

Me: Do you have tickets?
    Raj: No :(
    Me: Want some? i'm on the booking page again

then in the time it took to say that and you get your details across they were gone. there aren't many circumstances where you would unquestionably give your credit info to someone you met online the day before

7. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    All in all, I think this has been a demonstration of the true spirit among the fans here. Unfortunately not everyone has the tickets they want but those who are able to have each done their part to help others out.

Although, I still think that Fox, Lucasfilm and UCI should have made more effort to ensure that tickets didn't fall into the hands of touts and scalpers. And a presale for Hyperspace members would have been a good idea too.

8. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    i disagree with the pre-sale for hyperspace. i would consider myself a massive fan but i chose not to sign up to hyperspace because i'm spoiler free and the majority of the good stuff on hyperspace was episode 3 related. i don't think people should suffer for decision like the one i made. even though there were problems i think this was probably the best way to do it, basically luck of the draw. the touts would have probably just signed up to hyperspace anyway because of the profit they're going to make

9. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    Yeah you're probably right. In the end there is no real way to test who is a real fan that isn't flawed in some way.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed
    Some fans are honest
    Some are dishonest and exploit fellow fans to make a profit

11. aisha1

aisha1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I might bid a really high price on the e.bay tickets and then not pay just to pee them off. 8-}

12. Konmeister

Konmeister Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2005
    Interesting idea because if they then reported you for non-payment, you could counter-report and tell ebay that they are illegally selling tickets on.
    It's still a risk if you are a regular ebay user.

13. aisha1

aisha1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah true, I do sometimes use e.bay.

They were talking on the radio 1 bout tickets they have for there Big Weekend event.

They were sold for free all you have to do was turn up to where they were being sold, basically about 1000 people qued over night on saturday and now there are 4 pages on e.bay with people selling these tickets and they were free in the first place.

E.bay have said they are not pulling them as it is not illegal , how unfair is that. Some of these people who que got turned away and they had que all night.

14. Si_Snootles

Si_Snootles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    I still think 2 tickets per booking, and a simple named ticket/id showing system was the way to do it.

Touts are less inclined when they can't buy higher quantities, and less "fans" could buy up all the spares.

There are plenty on ebay now, some badly categorised, so prices are dropping considerably. This looks like my best option now.

But there are quite a few dodgy looking offers on there. There are going to be a lot of upset people being ripped off real soon.

15. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    The prices aren't really dropping, you can't compare unfinished ebay auctions, as the majority of the bids are in the last hour usually.

So far, as far as I can tell, 4 tickets have been sold in ebay completed items, 3 at £500, one at £480 all were "buy it now". Correction, another pair went for £450 buy it now yesterday.

Two current auctions finishing soon are over £500 for one ticket, several others over £200 still.

16. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    teh star wars community here is a lot more generous and kind-hearted that I originally thought. your good people [face_dancing]

17. Raj_Vader

Mar 28, 2005
    hey guys - from what I remember of contract lectures, if you have the highest bid when an auction ends you've entered into a legally binding contract. You'd have to buy the tickets or face some sort of legal action/disciplinary action by ebay....

.....so if you are going to do it, set up a fake account and use ..ehrm.. details :p :D

18. Si_Snootles

Jun 15, 2003
    There were 108 for sale under various different categories as of this afternoon. The average price has aleady dropped from about £400 to about £200.

Its going to get a bit lower I feel.

Bigger news! Some of the auctions are getting withdrawn! I bookmarked a fair few. Ebay have pulled some of them.

It will be interesting to see if the person will have their entire booking cancelled.

19. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    "...from what I remember of contract lectures, if you have the highest bid when an auction ends you've entered into a legally binding contract. You'd have to buy the tickets or face some sort of legal action/disciplinary action by ebay...."

- I refused to pay a seller after winning an auction (I had reasons - the seller was hostile and abusive just because I politely asked if he could reduce the postage cost which he hadn't specified in the listing). While I am currently banned from ebay (I'll appeal it next time I want to bid on something) there was never any talk of legal action.

20. Raj_Vader

Mar 28, 2005
    I stand corrected :p I better brush up on contract before exams ....!:S

21. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Si, seriously, only the end price is important. And they're still very high.

And a lot of the auctions are being ended early by the sellers, presumably because they've agreed a price with a buyer by email, and don't want to pay the final listing fees. When ebay removes an auction, an error saying "the auction record you requested is not in the database" or something like that.

22. Darth_Jaxons_Wife

Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Being a fan, coming from the states, that would want tickets. I would be fine with paying a person 100 pounds per ticket. After all, they stayed out in line or got through. And, they could have sold them on Ebay for 4 times that amount. I would just be happy that I got my tickets and would want to do something nice for them since they are helping me out.

I would offer to pay more anyway knowing that the person could get more money.

Just my opinion.

23. Si_Snootles

Jun 15, 2003
    They auctions have been pulled by ebay, not withdrawn by the buyer. I have an ebay rating of 2148 (and an ebay shop), so I know how it works.

If it is withdrawn, it has to state it.

By the way, there are already 2 auctions below £120 with only a day left to go. Theres more coming too by the looks of it.

Are you trying to talk the prices up to get a better deal on yours?

24. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    the auctions going at those low prices, are doing so due to the fact to look fake

25. Jimbo2183

Jimbo2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    What happened to the auction with the photo as Anna Kournakova? It had like 8 days left on bidding last time I checked and now its no longer on the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.