main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Tide Turns - OT/X-wing characters, pre-Dark Empire, updated 11/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Anakin_Solo, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    STAR WARS
    The Tide Turns

Rating- PG-13

Genres- Adventure, Drama, Romance, X-wing (Rogues)

Time Period- Post-RotJ (10 years after ANH)

Pairings- Han/Leia, Myn/Lara, Tycho/Winter, Corran/Mirax

[b]Dramatis Personae[/b]

Rogue Squadron
    General Wedge Antilles; Rogue Leader (human male from Corellia)
    Major Tycho Celchu; Rogue Two (human male from Alderaan)
    Major Wes Janson; Rogue Three (human male from Taanab)
    Major Derek ?Hobbie? Klivian; Rogue Four (human male from Ralltiir)
    Captain Gavin Darklighter; Rogue Five (human male from Tatooine)
    Lieutenant Inyri Forge; Rogue Six (human female from Kessel)
    Lieutenant Myn Donos; Rogue Seven (human male from Corellia)
    Flight Officer Reme Pollar; Rogue Eight (female human from Kuat)
    Captain Corran Horn; Rogue Nine (human male from Corellia)
    Lieutenant Ooryl Qrygg; Rogue Ten (Gand male from Gand)
    Flight Officer Vurrulf; Rogue Eleven (Klatooinian male from Klatooine)
    Flight Officer Ghufran; Rogue Twelve (Barabel male from Barab I)
    Lieutenant Nawara Ven; Executive Officer (Twi'lek male from Ryloth)

New Republic Inner Council
    Leia Organa Solo; Inner Councilor (human female from Alderaan)
    Winter; Inner Council Aide (human female from Alderaan)
    Mon Mothma; Inner Council Chief of State (human female from Chandrila)
    Admiral Ackbar; Inner Councilor, commander of the New Republic Space Navy (Mon Calamari from Mon Calamari)
    General Jan Dodonna; Inner Councilor, commander of New Republic Ground Forces (human male from Commenor)
    Borsk Fey'lya; Inner Councilor (Bothan male from Kothlis)
    General Crix Madine; Inner Councilor, commander of New Republic Special Forces (human male from Corellia)
    Tevv Sol; Inner Councilor (Sullustan male from Sullust)
    Aramad; Inner Councilor (Ithorian female from Ithor)

Crew of the Millennium Falcon
    Han Solo; captain (human male from Corellia)
    Chewbacca; copilot (wookiee male from Kashyyk)

Crew of the Wraith Sentinel
    Kirney Slane (aka Lara Nostil and Gara Petothel); captain (human female from Corellia)
    Kolot; copilot (Ewok male from Endor)

Crew of the Pulsar Scate
    Mirax Terrik; captain (human female from Corellia)

Crew of the Lady Luck
    Lando Calrissian (human male)

Civilians
    Luke Skywalker; Jedi Master (human male from Tatooine)
    Jacen Solo (human male from Coruscant)
    Jaina Solo (human female from Coruscant)

[hr]

[b]1[/b]

Direct addresses to the New Republic?s citizens were much less of a hassle than press conferences. No crowds of holojournalists, no last minute preparations, no flurry of questions the second she was done. Mon Mothma was in complete control of the situation, knew exactly what she was going to say, and, without any media interference, could get that message to the people. If she wished, she could deliver her prepared speech without the slightest deviation, or she could digress as much as she wished.

Mothma had given many such speeches since becoming the head of the provisional government. She liked to have at least one such address once a month to keep the people up to date on what the government was doing, with additional addresses during emergencies, such as this one.

Nodding to the holocam operator, Mothma composed herself, folding her hands before her on the desk. An announcer said, ?Ladies and gentlemen, the Chief of State of the New Republic Inner Council,? as the camera light came on.

?Good evening. As many of you are already aware, large elements of the Imperial Remnant and the warlord fleets have joined together under the banner of the Imperial Ruling Council. We believe they may be preparing for large-scale military operations from within the deep core.?

Most of that had already been public knowledge. To some extent, even the fact that the New Republic?s fleet was occupied in the outer rim, and that Corellia?s diktat was wavering towards joining with the Empire, was also known. And any educated person could infer that if that happened, Kuat would likely not be far behind. And Mon Mothma?s homeworld of Chandrila was well wit

2. JainaSticksSolo19

JainaSticksSolo19 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 31, 2003
    great wonderful.
    more soon? please/

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Muy interesante, Kev... Voy a mirar este. :D

4. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    JainaSticksSolo19- Thanks

Mi- Thanks. I didn't understand half of it, but thanks ;).

The spaceport was a flurry of activity, and Corellian Security officers were visible everywhere. Myn Donos didn?t know why, but their presence alarmed him. He hoped it was just part of the general unease he had felt since receiving his recall order ? when he received a recall order in the middle of leave, that meant that the war was in high gear again. When the war was in high gear again, good people died.

Even so, Myn would be taking registered transport back to Coruscant, no reason to arouse suspicion by chartering a private flight. Besides, it was a waste of credits, and he didn?t have the connections he used to have on Corellia. He had barely even enjoyed his leave; something about his homeworld seemed different, though he didn?t know what.

?Attention,? an automated computer voice called. Very few people actually looked up from what they were doing to listen until they heard the next part. ?By order of the diktat, all flights to New Republic space are canceled. We apologize for the inconvenience.?

Well [i]that[/i] was interesting. With three quarters of space under Republican control, that would certainly cut into the spaceport?s profits. Donos had a very bad feeling about this.

?Please allow our security personnel to run through routine checks on your way out. Thank you for your cooperation.?

Myn?s insides went cold. Well, that settled that. Corellia was covertly joining the Empire, and if he was recognized as a New Republic pilot, he was a deadman.

Moving with a sense of urgency that he hoped others would attribute to his destination, Myn headed towards the nearest ?fresher station. Hopefully they would merely chuckle at his mixed up priorities.

Donos ducked in to the unoccupied ?fresher and locked the door behind him. First things first. He quickly opened his pack and emptied its contents into the sink. His military ID and spare rank bars he flushed down the waste unit, the rest he replaced in the pack.

Except his blaster. That, he tucked neatly into the inside of his jacket. Satisfied that he had done his best to limit the damage to the New Republic if he was taken, Donos knocked the access hatch for the ventilation system out of place and crawled into the opening.

The interior of the ventilation shafts was a slick metal surface, and the air was noticeably cooler and less humid within. Donos worked his way through the ventilation shaft, heading in the direction his instincts told him was towards the exit. He reached another grate, kicked it out, rolled?

Right past someone who was walking past. [i]Sithspit, there goes my cover.[/i] Donos whirled, bringing his blaster out of his jacket and up into a solid aim at his target?s torso. Then he saw who she was, and froze.

The memories came surging back to him like a tidal wave. The agony of Talon Squadron?s destruction, the breakdowns that had almost destroyed what was left of his career, the stolen kiss beneath the shade of a TIE Interceptors wing, the renewed agony upon learning that the person he loved was also the person he hated?

He had decided long ago that he didn?t want to kill her. But that seemed to wither under the tide of pain and loss. The tip of the blaster wavered as his hand trembled, but the weapon remained leveled at her chest. And when he spoke again, his voice was raw, more animal than human. ?Give me one good reason why I shouldn?t kill you.?

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    oooh..... *hasn't read X-Wing series in so long that she forgets who it is* :D

Muy interesante, Kev... Voy a mirar este. (Very interesting, Kev... I'm going to watch this.) ;)

6. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Ohhhhh...

Will we see Rogriss and Pellaeon making a cameo appearance, incidentally?

7. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    It's a possibility :). To be honest, I only actually have the New Republic parts planned out, I haven't decided how much of the behind the scenes Imperial stuff to show, if any.

8. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    I havent even gotten to read a single post of Peace and Peril yet, and you come out with this

I dont know what I'm going to do

well, besides keep reading this ;)

9. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    The short form (just got up - Euro here):

Saw the title - decided to go in - read the posts - bookmarked the topic - will come back ...

Now where's my coffee ? ... *yawn*

10. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Oooooh, Myn's in a load of crap. Stupid Diktat. :p ;)

And, hey, guess who he ran into. Hehehe. I can think of several responses to the "One good reason," bit. ;)

11. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Coruscant was as different from Tatooine as any planet, except possibly Mon Calamari. Instead of endless sand dunes, there were endless mazes of skyscrapers. There were more people in most large buildings on Coruscant?s surface than a Tatooine city. The stars that were so crystal clear on Tatooine were barely visible on the clearest Coruscant night.

For all the differences the two planets had, Luke Skywalker still felt like he was returning home whenever he brought his X-wing through the cloudy Coruscant sky. His only surviving blood relative was here, as well as his brother-in-law and the others he had come to regard as his family. Those he had fought beside since joining the Rebellion.

It was not every man who could go from farmboy to Jedi Master, from the remote desert to the largest city in the galaxy. And even Luke hadn?t done so without going through changes so profound he doubted the boy he had been on Tatooine would have recognized him now.

As Luke climbed down the ladder of his starfighter, he was embraced by a pair of strong, furry arms before he even reached the last rung. He grinned ? an expression that would?ve looked more natural on the boy?s face than the man?s, and that many told him took years off of his appearance. ?I missed you, too, Chewie,? he said, hopping off the last few rungs and stepping away from the wookiee. ?Where?s Han??

Chewbacca rumbled unhappily, a sure sign that the former smuggler wasn?t anywhere near the Millennium Falcon, and gestured in the general direction of the Imperial Palace.

?Is there a council meeting??

With a nod and an affirmative bark, Chewie managed to erase part of the smile from Luke?s features. Just his luck, he wouldn?t get a chance to talk to Leia for hours unless the meeting nearing its conclusion. ?All right; thanks, Chewie.?

The wookiee rumbled inquiringly.

?No, that?s all right. I can find my own way there.?

At least the delay would give him a chance to change. Luke stopped at his stateroom and lost his flight suit in favor of more comfortable black Jedi-style robes that he normally wore. A few minutes later, he was walking down the hall to the Inner Council chamber, and saw Han waiting for him outside.

Han was wearing his trademark white shirt and black vest, and he waved as Luke approached. ?Hey, kid.?

?Hi, Han,? Luke answered, shaking his head at Han?s greeting. ?You?re really going to have to stop calling me that.?

A lopsided grin was offered in response. ?If I can get away with it when you?re a Jedi Master, when exactly will I not be able to get away with it??

Luke smiled, and let the point go unanswered. ?Chewie didn?t look happy. You?ve been neglecting the Falcon?s maintenance again,? he teased. Of course, that merely underscored the seriousness of the galactic situation right now ? nothing less would tear him away from the ship, even Leia had given up in all but the most important cases. ?How?s Leia??

Han shrugged. ?Fine, other than these meetings.?

Radiating sympathy, Luke asked, ?Dogfight??

?They should just use real lasers instead of glares and sharp words. It would be much less brutal.?

Luke sighed. ?Everything is less brutal than politics, Han. Vader was less brutal than politics. The only good thing he did was kill the politicians.?

?Good point.?

?So, what is it this time?? Luke asked.

Another sigh. Han appeared unusually weary, Luke noticed. ?What is it always? Everything. How did the trip go??

?Fairly productive,? Luke answered. ?I didn?t recover any artifacts, but got several solid leads.? Luke had been searching for Jedi artifacts and texts since the months following the Battle of Endor. He knew he would have to learn about the order before trying to rebuild it ? of course, he would also have to avoid the mistakes that had led to the downfall of the Jedi. It wouldn?t be easy, but no one became a Jedi because it was easy.

Several council members and aides began to leave the chamber then, but Leia wasn?t among them. Han peeked in, and nodded to Luke that it was all rig

12. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Closing her eyes, Leia rubbed her temples. ?Why can?t I just have a normal family??

Because someone needs to entertain us :p ;)

*leans back, waiting for more*

13. jonng

jonng Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    Very interesting.
    Vader was less brutal than politics. The only good thing he did was kill the politicians. [face_laugh]

14. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    LOL! Nice comedy in there, Kev. You write Luke, Leia, and Han great. :D

Oh, and look.. Anakin showed up. Whoda thunk it? ;)

15. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    -thor- Heheheh. Yes, but still, poor Leia ;).

jonng- glad ya like it so far :). :D The line you pointed out has to be my favorite line I've written so far ;).

Matt- Thanks :). I wasn't sure I could write OT characters well, but I'm glad you think I did a good job :).

16. Clef

Clef Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2003
    Hey, just found this! Great story, Jedi_Anakin_Solo. Please post more! :D

17. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Ask and you shall recieve :) (Just be warned, I wrote this between the hours of 1 and 2 am, so, yeah (lol))

She had been born Gara Petothel, a Coruscanti and daughter of two Imperial Intelligence operatives. She had loyally served the Empire, even after her parents had been executed for treason ? a treason they had likely never committed, as that was the Imperial excuse for the death of many operatives guilty of a multitude of other, lesser offenses ? and had even thought of them as traitors for the longest time.

But Gara was a murderer. She didn?t like being Gara.

After escaping the [i]Implacable[/i], she had assumed the identity of Lara Nostil. Farmgirl, victim of an Imperial assault on her homeworld of Aldivy, and personal victim of Admiral Trigit. The truth was, Gara had been disgusted by Trigit?s unthinking, needless sacrifice of a good crew. She had planned on using the Lara Nostil identity as an escape hatch, but had been given the unexpected opportunity to infiltrate one of Wedge Antilles?s squadrons, she had been forced to assume the identity for much longer than she had anticipated.

At first, it was a necessity, a way to prove herself and find her way back to Imperial service. She knew the risks; intelligence training put a tremendous amount of strain on the mind, and assuming an identity for too long often resulted in psychological problems, but soldiers and intelligence operatives alike took far greater risks on a typical basis, and this was no different.

But unintended realization had come. Trigit had not been worthy. But the Empire was infallible. If it was infallible, then Trigit could not be unworthy. And if the Empire was not infallible, her life had been a lie.

More than that, the Wraiths had begun to accept her, and she to respect, even like, them. So she had decided to become a loyal Wraith. She was living a lie, but the lie had suddenly become worth more than her old life. Gara was dead. Lara was living on the edge, but she lived there as a true member of New Republic Starfighter Command. Until she was discovered, she gave the Wraiths her all. She risked life and limb to keep her fellow squadmates alive, and even after her discovery, helped destroy Zsinj from within.

But Lara was a liar. She deceived those who trusted her most out of necessity. She did not like being Lara.

So she had become Kirney. Kirney Slane was an old identity ? her first alias. A Corellian woman of simple interests. Yet another fresh start. This time, she had intended to do this right. But she couldn?t completely leave behind her past; she had sent Myn a message, more out of desperation than anything. She had to know if they had a chance, if he could accept that she had never betrayed him, if he could forgive her for the destruction of Talon Squadron, a deed that she was accountable for despite the fact that she had quite literally been a different woman when she had been a party to it.

Kirney, Lara, Gara?[i]whoever[/i] in space she was?had serious issues to overcome. Part of her training as an intelligence operative had consisted of intense, intrusive mental conditioning. Her mind had been broken down and put together again in a manner to the liking of her Imperial controllers. In retrospect, it made a certain amount of sense. Her mind was held together by the idea that the Emperor was infallible, and to live was a service of the Empire. If and when she decided this wasn?t true, the strings that held her together started to snap, and that would potentially make her less of a threat to the Empire.

A pragmatic plan. Brutal in its efficiency, ruthlessly uncaring in its spirit. Exactly what one would expect from Imperial intelligence.

Even if she had been mentally stable, literally [i]becoming[/i] another person, which is what a good intelligence operative did, was very mentally taxing. Anyone could lose themselves if they assumed a role for too long. Kirney knew her mind wasn?t quite whole. Kirney had experienced several lapses. At one point, as Lara, she had even had an identity crisis.

18. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Woooooaaaaahhhhh .... PERFECT!!!!!!!

19. jonng

jonng Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    Very profound post. The emotions of the characters were described very well.
    Of course, I liked the lines about killing Janson. :D

20. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I just found this story and I'm loving it!

Wow! Great characterizations all around.

Are you posting on a regular schedule?

21. Clef

Clef Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2003
    Awesome!!! Where's the next post?
    Whoops, impatient again. 8-}

Great job with characters, especially since Janson always seems to really make people angry at him. A certain gift, I think. Heh 8-}

22. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    This is cool. Bad Diktat. Bad Empire.

Would a Barabel fit into an X-wing cockpit?

23. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    -thor- Glad you liked that post :)

jonng- Hehehehe. Janson's great :D.

LadyPadme- Thanks :). Not really on a regular schedule, no. And my pace will probably slow down after school starts (September 2nd).

Clef- Heh. The gift that just keeps giving whether people want it to or not ;).

SpeldoriontheBlended- Yep, there've been plenty of Barabel pilots in the NJO :).

24. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great story, good characterizations. Leia is right about Han trying to protect her, but I really think she should tell him about the baby. Lara/Gara/Kirney needs a shrink ;) Great line about the Ewok and Janson.

25. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Wow, RebelMom! Thanks for reading :). "Lord Vader! This is an unexpected pleasure! We are honored by your presence!" ;). Seriously, now, I'm glad you think I'm doing a good job, I hope you like the rest of the fic as well :). And, yes, Kirney needs a shrink ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.