main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ties that bind.....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth_ral, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    After an extremely good post from Jedi_Aron_Tylander over here
    I felt compelled to start this topic. Whats so great about star wars, is that it can be compared to just about anything in some form. I believe George's goal truly is to find a way to connect you to his movies personally, be it through christianity, buddhism, mythology, or just personal experience. So, I would like to create a topic that is about finding as many possible ways to connect to something. The connections can be as factual/scientifical as the christian symbolism found throughout the saga or as funny as "lets connect star wars to scooby doo!" Lets just try and only discuss one "connection" at a time so it doesn't get too confusing. Everyone will get a chance to eventually suggest a connection.

The floor is open....

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    My connection to Star Wars is simply that it embodied the adventure and dreams that I had when I was a young boy. I saw the movies and was deeply impressed by the journeys the various characters went on to discover their destinies.

Also, the story of a family being torn apart by forces greater than themselves was extremely compelling, especially when a faithful, diligent son redeems the father who had come to believe that all was lost. To me, there was something epic about that particular strain of the story for some reason. Luke was a young man bereft of any true parent for the bulk of his life. He had no brothers or sisters and yet what he finds in the saga, a family, is just a powerfully, amazing story. I always felt Luke's solitude when he gazed at the binary sunset; yet, the story takes him on a fantastic journey. He starts an orphan and ends up with a family identity, a family legacy, and a role to play for the greater good. That resonated with me.

Just my thoughts.
    :)

3. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    thats really good, i've always thought of look finding his family, but ive never really considered him being an "orphan" at the beginning. thats very powerful and it will add a new look to how i view the movies. thats whats so great is that every time i read something on these boards, it changes/adds new insight to how you view the movies.

4. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think this is why Joseph Campbell called Lucas his greatest student. Star Wars is based on the universal and common links in all myths and beilef systems. So on many levels it identifies with all faiths. Also the spectrum of the time and how things change appeal to the historian aspects. Plus it's a coming of age story so that has appeal to most of the younger audience who arent interested in the other things as much. And every kid dreams of being the hero; (or even anti-hero) saving the day and being loved by everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.