main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The time frame of Vaders operation and recovery

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AndyLGR, May 28, 2014.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    One of the things that intrigued me about the transformation in to Vader the costume was the speed of it all.

It seems as though hes injured, brought back to Coruscant (I love that scene btw as they land in the rain and then theres the solemn procession carrying Anakin), operated on, put in the suit and then woken up. All within hours of the fight with Obi-Wan.

It looks like he's still wearing his burnt Jedi clothes as they operate on him and then put him in the suit. The fact they seem to leave the burnt clothes on really bugged me.

In the ESB we see Luke recovering in a bacta tank after the Wanpa attack, yet a gravely injured Anakin seems to have nothing done.

So is it supposed to be dicpicted over a matter of hours? If so how was he able to wake up so quickly? How was he healed?

andresfelix likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think with time distortion in the story line, the Anakin / Vader transformation could have occurred over a period of weeks.

3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    From what I've read, it took a week or two for them to put him in the suit. I can buy that it would have been an hour or so from Palpatine finding him on Mustafar to the operation. They can't dawdle when they've got a burnt amputee victim to save.

As to why they left the burnt clothes on him? We see a droid lifting a piece of it off of him and he screamed. They probably figured it wasn't worth taking the whole outfit off and decided to operate around that.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah clothes melt to the skin and sometimes can't be removed.

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    In real world burn debridement, all debris must be removed as well as dead skin or you risk a life threatening infection. However, in the SW universe, perhaps Vader's suit protects him from those complications.

6. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    Absolutely right AndyLGR, may I add
    As it turns out, there's actually no good reason for Darth Vader to wear the suit at all. He is a burn victim and a multiple amputee. Why does he need help breathing? He doesn't. He needs skin grafts and the high tec artificial limbs and that's it.

NO NEED for the suit. His lungs were fine when he was groaning on the table. Hell, the put him in the suit while his skin/flesh was still smoking!!! I think that hospitals in the nether regions of planet Earth could even treat burns better.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think he was supposed to have suffered irreversible lung damage from breathing in all that hot air near the lava flow for so long.

jc1138 and TommyDawnbounder like this.
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

To show the true length of time that led to Anakin being placed in the Vader armor would take another half hour running time, let alone another movie. Lucas did it in a series of montages. It seemed quite obvious to me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I always figured it took a few months from the moment Palpatine found him on Mustafar until that final shot of him on the bridge of the Star Destroyer. The intercutting between that and Padme was for dramatic purpose, not in real time, which I think confused a lot of people.

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But in truth, there's nothing in the movies confirming that Vader needs help to breath (I know it WAS the intention, but...). He might be using the mask just to hide his scarred and deformed face, to be able to look imposing to others.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Screaming on the table with burnt lungs is SW's analogical counterpart to sounds in space

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    It's been many years since I read it, but I seem to recall Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader making mention of the lung damage as well as numerous other injuries he sustained on Mustafar.

True, you would think the scream would have been absent in such an instance. If anything, showing Vader gasping and unable to speak would have explained the breathing issue better than anything.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    Iron_lord likes this.
  15. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Vaders lungs were damaged according to "legends" contiunutiy sourse(the pre Disney EU). I know he is controversial here but Saxton, the guy who is famous for the writing some technical cross section books that caused alot of ship size controversy also did a analysis of vaders injuries and what really caused his death in ROTJ using images from the film including the shots where you see his skeleton glow from the lightning.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. There were also hints in the novelizations of the movies.

mes520 likes this.
  17. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I always thought that was a nice touch in ROTJ. They could have gotten away with just showing a regular skeleton, but by adding the metal bits and screws and all it really shows that the injuries he sustained were considerable.

AnakinColodin likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

you know i never noticed this. did they add this? i guess it's clearer on the blu-ray?

[​IMG]

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, it is pretty clear that at some point between his surgery at the end of rots(ir maybe even during) and ROTJ he had a major spinal injury. It is even possible that the spinal surgery(there is definitely replaced vertebrae in that shot) may have even been done during the surgery in ROTS probably to connect his nervous system to some to the life support stuff.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I would speculate the spinal column replacement is post ROTS. As burnt as Anakin was after the dual with Obi-Wan, he was still moving and there was no indication during the fight that his neck was otherwise injured.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The sequences were originally separate, with the birth happening first and then his rebirth. But Lucas opted to intercut the scenes.

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    How would that have played out?

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not sure, but there probably would have been a more apparent gap between things. Thus it wouldn't seem as if Palpatine somehow knew that she was dead, when he shouldn't have in the final film.

24. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

Add to the list: the fact that Sidious just happened to have the Vader suit lying around to be used someday.

Something which technically should have affected Obi-Wan as well.

AndyLGR likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Vialco likes this.