main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Time Has Come. The OT NEEDS The RLM Treatment

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But the thing is, I don't think tearing up on the OT will solve the problem. If anything, I have a feeling it will only bring even more vitriol down on the PT. It will be an endless cycle of each side trying to 'one up' the other. At this point, I say focus on the things you enjoy and try to shut out the opposition, whomever they may be.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    EDIT: Um...wow

Okay, I don't know what happened

3. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

Right, because no SW fan of ANY 'stripe' has EVER criticized ROTJ for this point..ever.

[face_plain] [face_shame_on_you][face_tired][face_clown] (end sarcasm)

Master Yoda says: "Not very original, are you."

ROTJ has flaws, I've said so myself on these forums in the past. But apparently, the 'solution' or 'correction' to that was to make three more films with even MORE problems/flaws than ROTJ. =D=

Valairy Scot,

With all due respect, I think SweetZombieJesus is referring to the type of poster - like Anakin_Darth - who engages in "scorched-earth" tactics of debate; in this case 'defending' the PT by attacking the OT, or trying to 'level the playing field', as it were. He is stirring the pot/trolling. He's done this before in other threads, like the one about the OT restoration/blue-rays.

Darth_Pevra and HanSolo29 like this.
  4. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    [Removed. ~Sx3]
    The OT is severely flawed, get over it.

OT Logic - "They're tracking us, eh? Then let's lead them right to our secret base!"

OT Logic - "There is good in you, father! Er, well you haven't really shown it at all, what with your murdering your co workers, cutting off my hand, torturing my friends, and killing both my mentor and aunt/uncle. That just SCREAMS 'I'm good inside'!"

So lame. The writing in the OT is so sloppy, especially in the filler infested ESB.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ewoks are one of the best things about the OT!

That makes me a defender and basher at the same time.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    OK!
    Anakin_Darth

Your Idea is flawed, but It does have potential,

Let me explain. The flawed part is that it will divide star wars fans even more, and stop other fans from enjoying star wars! There is enough division in our community, and we don't need more! In order to do something like this, you would have to take extreme caution!

But there is a bright side. If there is to be a video like this, it must be a defense video, not a "let's try bashing the OT" video! It also shouldn't be as insulting as RLM, it must be funny, but not to the point some people may be insulted. It's simple, we get the biggest "problems" and defend them with proof that the OT has the same problems. But we can't bash the OT. It's complicated I'll dwell on the topic and come back later when I got a good idea!

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Bringing up the Ewoks is strange, seeing as how people have been ragging on Ewoks for three decades. That ridicule has been around for as long as Return of the Jedi has been with us.

8. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Hence my status as an Ewok defender.

9. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh]

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I am an Ewok hater to a degree. I don't mind them until the battle itself. Their role in the battle is too prominent and stretches reality way too far.

11. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, "stretches reality" is exactly why I like them and other aspects of ROTJ. I actually think it was a stroke of brilliance to follow the more "grounded" ESB with surreal stuff like a giant gangster slug and unironic teddy bear fighters.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I watched the Red Letter Media reviews of the Prequels and wanted to watch the one for the Indiana Jones movie, but I see the point in perpetuating a dislike for something I want to like.

13. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I see them as a symbol of how no matter how primitive, or how you look, you can win with heart. Not as ridiculous as promoting Jar Jar to General for finding a place that all of his people know anyway.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

And in fact that was part of what it meant to convey, the primitive against the Imperial with the native primitive coming out on top. As an idea it's fine, but the execution of that idea in the form of the Ewoks that we see doesn't work at all. It's not the concept so much as the end product that is at fault.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  15. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I see your point, however, like I said, you can not use ewoks as an excuse to bash the OT when Jar Jar is made a general for no reason.

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I would not try, Jar Jar is one of the worst characters in film history. He's Star Wars answer to Wesley Crusher. A horrible, flawed character that should have never made it to screen, at least in the form that we got.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I'd really like to believe this is possible, that you can just focus on your agenda and hope the other side's nastiness and vitriol will just go away sooner or later. But I'm a liberal, so I know better.

Vthuil likes this.
  18. Anakin_Darth

Mar 28, 2005
    What a detailed argument! Blah blah blah worst thing ever blah blah blah.

How anyone can hate Jar Jar and love 3PO is beyond me. They're almost the same character, except Jar Jar has an actual part in the story. 3PO in Empire is utterly USELESS, but it's tough to acknowledge that fact with rose tinted glasses about the oh-so-perfect OT lol.

I'm still waiting for someone to address the MAJOR flaws I brought up, but then again, it's always best to ignore what you can't refute. :)

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While I don't agree - logically, if not emotionally - in stooping to RLM's level to "attack the OT" just to "get back at him" there is a certain element common, I think, to many of us PT fans ("gushers" to some, but I acknowledge the flaws while applauding them overall): if we continue to remain silent as we did for so many years, we are pepetuating the myth that "no one likes the prequels" that has all but swept the internet. It's invaded practically every thread whether or not it is even relevant to the thread.

We can remain silent so that the "bashers" (and please, could we all find some less inflammatory terms?) dictate the terms of the fandom's "likes."

Or we can speak up, defend where appropriate, interject our opinions, and debunk outright misconceptions - and sometimes, by some, get called "trolls" or "gushers."

Personally, I'd like to see the "PT hate" injected only where relevant to the thread and without the use of "all fans know" and "we dislike" so that the rest of us can concentrate on the thread and not go, "oh, no - not again, here we go."

Just like the Sifo-Dyas disagreement - I acknowledge many feel the films left a loose plot point hanging. And stated that way, I would agree. I also agree the point is not necessary to advance the plot. I wouldn't say it's a plot "hole" or its one of the things that ruined the prequels.

And if is certainly fair to point out the hypocrisy of a poster saying the "CGI sucks and therefore so does the PT" when that same poster refuses to acknowledge there are similar issues with SFX in the OT (NOT saying that is a specific post by any specific poster).

There is a difference between pointing out hypocrisy and "retaliation bashing."

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    edit:

Posters here can read the first two pages of the "Red Letter Media and Other Prequel Reviews" from over a year ago to see for themselves what I am talking about.

Great argument....can I try?

The OT is universally loved (even by NON-fans!!) in ways that the PT is NOT!! Get over it!!"

There.....did YOU just disappear??? Were you floored by that rip-roaring wizardly riposte?

And now, for those "major flaws", as you put it:

....."so that we can fight them ONCE AND FOR ALL!" Think about it: what if the DS just kept moving around, with the Rebel Fleet vainly chasing after it all over the galaxy but never finding it? What good would the DS schematic data have done then?

Did you watch the film? Luke said that he FELT the good inside his father/Vader.

^^^^^^This.

21. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    3PO doesn't step in poop, grab food with a coiled tongue, or speak in a shrill and unintelligible cartoon rabbit voice. Jar Jar is virtually Dick Van Dyke tripping over couches.

If you want to complain about 3PO, lets start with his actions on Geonosis in AOTC.

#1 -- everything

22. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    AOTC is set up as a mystery that Obi-Wan is investigating. I actually looked forward to a good detective story in the Star Wars universe. Not proof that Obi-Wan is a moron.

Darth Dnej and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Exchange "Obi-Wan" for "Phillip Marlowe" and you have how I feel about "The Big Sleep".

24. Anakin_Darth

Mar 28, 2005
    Mod edit: No personal attacks

25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    And I think this thread has run its course. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.