main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The TJ Whosyourmamma Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JediCouncilMember, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    This thread can be for any type of fantasy football discussion, get feedback on your team, possible trades, good FA pick-ups, strategy, etc.

As for me, I'm in a Keeper league and my roster looks like this:

My Keepers were: LJ and Willie Parker.

QBs: Bulger (STL), Big Ben (Pit)
    RB: LJ (KC), Parker (Pit), McAllister (NO), Betts (Wash)
    WR: R. Moss (NE), D. Jackson (SF), G Jennings (GB), V Jackson (SD), Henderson (NO)
    TE: McMicheal (STL), Johnson (NO)
    K: Rackers (Ari)
    Def: KC Def

It's a 12 team league and you can start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 def. You're allowed a 3rd wr if you only start 1 rb.

I wanted 5 RBs, but I wasn't sure about Moss and D. Jackson so I went with 5 WRs. The FA market is going to be pretty bare in out league with 12 teams and expanded rosters to 15, last year we had 13 but with the keepers our commish forgot to change the draft so we got to draft another 13.

Championship.

2. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I'm the defending champ in the JC NFL fantasy league...and I intend to keep it that way. ;)

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Are you in the Yahoo league we have going?

Because if so, you're going down.

But I'm beating Kobe first.

:p

4. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Yep, that's the league that I'm in, and the league that I won last season...and the league that I'll win again this season. I'm "Lenny's Jag." ;)

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, who do you guys have as your break-out and drop off players of 2007?

For me, the most obvious pick for drop off player is Larry Johnson. I've drafted 2 of the 3 leagues I'm in so far, and have had fourth pick both times, and have both times opted for Shaun Alexander over Johnson (and Frank Gore). I can't see him coming close to his numbers from last year, and I see him probably getting injured. The offense is bad, the line isn't great, and he had too many carries last season.

Other guys I see headed for drop-off years include: Chad Johnson (TJ is going to steal a lot more looks this year), the Ravens Defense (playing the high-octane Bengals and newly spreading it out Steelers for 1/4th of their games is brutal), Tony Gonzales (see: Johnson, Larry), and Chris Chambers (who I've never been high on, but have seen him go amazingly high in both leagues so far, despite Trent Green being his quarterback).

The biggest guy I have tabbed for a breakout season is Alex Smith. I grabbed him in one of my leagues (to back up Philip Rivers), and just missed out on him in the other. He's surrounded by good talent, has a good grasp on his system, and has the endorsement of Urban Meyer that he's going to have a break-out year since he finally has a full grasp on the playbook.

Some other guys I like to break out: Kellen Winslow II (his 89 catches last year helped me to a fantasy league title, and I'm still grabbing him in round 10 ... or later), Joseph Addai (not much room to go up, but I think he'll easily be a top-three pick in most leagues next year), Edgerrin James (lots of folks on down on him for his ypc, but I think in that offense he'll get plenty of room to run), and Santonio Holmes (he looked very comfortable the last quarter of his rookie season, and his quarterback should be past TBI by now).

Other guys I won't touch in leagues unless they experience a significant Aaron Rogers type drop: Randy Moss (Tom Brady doesn't throw the deep ball much, Randy doesn't run the short routes as well), Andre Johnson (not until the Texans prove they can protect their QB), Maurice Jones-Drew (over hyped thanks to the ESPN commercial), Donovan McNabb (I got burned by a quarterback rushing back from knee injury in one league last year, not gonna let it happen again), Alge Crumpler (I don't trust Joey Harrington to get him the ball often enough), and Bret Favre (bad TD/INT ratio)

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Bring it, Blubie Yoda!!!:cool:

7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good thread title. :p
    I think Shaun Alexander is gonna be back in full force this season.

8. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I think Cadillac might have a good year, Alstott is gone and Garcia should handle the O well enough. but as always it will probably come down to health.
    Alex Smith is a pretty good choice, he's certainly got the potential to have a good year.
    Rivers and Cutler also have potential to be good fantasy players, but their running systems could steal most of the TDs.
    I've heard that about Holmes too, he could have a real good year in Pit.
    I took a flyer on V. Jackson in SD. Of course SD is loaded with weapons, but I figured it was worth the 8th or 9th rd pick I used to get him. Gates will be the big target in the passing game, but if Rivers throws for 3200 yrds that should be plenty to go around for a guy like Jackson (like Holmes) that had a good close to last year.

I'm a little worried about LJ, but not enough to not keep him. He may have a little drop off but he's really the only viable option for TDs along with Gonzales. I'm just hoping he doesn't get like 800 carries.
    Defenses are too risky, and you're right about the Ravens, not only Cincy and Pit, but they also have a 1st place Schd this year, not a 3rd placer like last year. If I'm not mistaken, they'll be playing SD, Indy and NE as well.

9. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I have some good players on my team (thanks to Autopick :eek:):

QB: Jon Kitna; Steve McNair
    RB: Maurice Jones-Drew; Obefemi Ayanbadejo; Micheal Bush
    TE: Vernon Davis; Des Clark
    WR: TJ Houshmandzadeh :p; Mike Furry; Devery Henderson; Devin Hester
    K: Robbie Gould
    Def: Indy; San Francisco

Its a pretty ok team me thinks.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    average QB's, average RB's, TE is good, WR's are average, K doesn't really matter and Indy and San Fran for your D?

Your team sucks. :)

And this is coming from someone who's only playing fantasy football for the first time this year.

11. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    If there's a breakout TE this year, Vernon Davis could possibly be it.

I'm kind of "meh" about my team (Horsemen). I was trying to load up on RB's which wasn't exactly conducive to a 14th pick, but I did what I could. I have plenty of depth there now, but I feel like I have good RB's from teams with crappy O-lines, or they're in RBBC's, so it might be a moot point. I have W. McGahee, E. James, J. Lewis, B. Jackson, and Ju. Jones. Unfortunately Jones will have all his TD's sucked up by Barber and I imagine once V. Morency gets healthy, Jackson will be useless. It'd be great of James and/or Lewis reverted back to their former selves, but they're just not surrounded by the same talent. I feel pretty good about McGahee if he can stay healthy. I hope at least two or three of these guys work out because I completely sacrificed the WR position for it. After Andre Johnson, I have Bobby Wade, A. Randle-El and Demetrius Williams. :oops: I'll be thrilled to get one TD a week out of those four.

12. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    My starting lineup which sucks majorly...

QB: Jay Cutler
    WR: Chad Johnson, Laveranues Coles, & Santonio Holmes
    RB: Larry Johnson & DeAngelo Williams
    TE: Antonio Gates

K: Jason Elam

DEF: Kansas City

13. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    Well maybe it would've been better if I was actually present for the first 10 picks :) But I have to work with what I have. And this is the first year for me playing fantasy football also :) we all can't have perfect teams like you :)

14. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    didn't mean for you to get butthurt. sorry.

15. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    I missed the entire draft. :(

Oh well, at least I got one good player in Gates. [face_dancing]

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Word. :)

17. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002

I didnt get butthurt, but thanks for worrying anyways :)

18. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    then why have you used four of the 'butthurt' smilies in your last two posts?

19. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
  20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    didn't mean for you to get butthurt. sorry.

21. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I would like to draft Molly Qerim.

22. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Go Joseph Addai, baby!

He's my running back on both of my teams, and I'm pretty stoked about that right now.

23. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    New WR strategy - Find out who Jason David is covering next week and try to get him.

I haven't seen somebody individually abused like that in a while. Reminded me of Steve Smith abusing Fred Smoot back in '05.

24. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So what do you need to happen Monday night to win your game?

In my big money league, I have TJ Houshamazilli and Joe Nedney going against Edgerrin James and I'm currently down by three (Thanks to Tony Romo, who killed me last night). In that league, QB's carry a bit more value and RB's are not absurdly more valuable as they are in a lot of leagues. There are nice bonuses for TD's over 10+ yards which gives WR's a chance to put up big numbers on just a few nice plays. (Plaxico got 16 points just on that 60-yd TD he had last night). Even kickers get nice bonuses when the FG's get over 40 and there are not deductions for misses. It'll be an interesting game.

I'm getting beat badly right now in the JC league, but my QB and both RB's won't play 'til tonight. The downside to playing in 5 leagues is a lot of overlap in players competing for and against your teams. So while I need Edge to do well tonight if I have any hope of coming back, I hope he tanks 'cause I'd much rather win in my money league where he's going against me. On the plus side, RB's are much more valuable in the JC League so maybe even an average night will result in lots of points there and minimal ones in my pay league.

25. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm down 75 points and all I have playing tonight is a field goal kicker.

I think it's safe to say I lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.