main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Tone/Genre Of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Pure speculation.

I think it will happen if this first one is both commercially and critically successful. The former is a given but the latter is of course to be determined.

Even though LFL has said the stand-alones won't have sequels, if it's really good there's no in-universe or real-world reason not to make another Han film because the main characters will of course all survive the story and the actors will be in prime age for a follow-up.

Adventures with Han and Chewie on the Falcon just sells itself. And if it's well written and executed and fun, there will be a big demand for more. Print money.

Sarge and Satipo like this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    To be really successful the Han film needs a good villain! Luke had Vader - Give Han Boba Fett. Two birds - one stone and all that.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  3. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Exactly -- that's precisely what the sequel will do I'm guessing.

In my dream scenario, it's a trilogy with the second Han film being about a Jabba-employed heist mission with Fett as the villain. It would show how Fett's maneuvering forced Han to dump his cargo before ANH.

The third movie would be a reimagined Shadows of the Empire film set in between Empire and ROTJ with Fett carrying a frozen Han while Xizor and Black Sun matched political wits against Vader.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    "Bright and colorful" and "realistic" aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. This film seems to be taking a heavy influence from westerns, particularly the romanticized kind, and Kennedy has cited the bright, vibrantly colorful paintings of Frederic Remington as a visual influence, so I expect a kind of primary color-rich frontier vibe to be on display in at least some of the locations. But the look of the movie should reflect its tone, and I doubt this film will be as serious as something like Rogue One. It's going to be a more playful movie, and it should dress the part.

5. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I wasn't saying I preferred it I was just asking jeez :(

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wasn't having a crack - Should have added a :cool: Sorry!

7. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm sure Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy will make an exception about a sequel, if the Han Solo film does well at the box office. There's always another adventure for Han and Chewie, and I'm sure it's in their contracts as well, regarding possible sequels.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    You never know, there is always the possibility that if its successful that they could recast the other main characters and do an adventure set in between the OT films or just after Jedi. I'm sure thats something they will probably look at in the future.

9. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Na man they better not waste more time on more Han Solo movies. I still can't even believe they chose to do this one when there are so many other stories they could've told and recasting Ford is just ridiculous.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Sebastian Stan for Luke Skywalker anyone??

11. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i think this would be a great movie to make you love characters, like if they make me care about the characters then it will be a success.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Awesome. I'm hoping it's very much in line with the "I never ask that question until after we've done it" attitude of The Force Awakens, but with a younger and even more brash Solo. That would be really fun.

13. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    Absolutely! I love the humour in GotG, but I don't think that type of humour is in line with Star Wars.

14. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Something like this:

[​IMG]

15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I was reminded today of the fact that one of the main differences between Rogue One and the rest of the saga is it seems to fall into somewhat of a different genre. While the saga can be view as a fun fantasy/western, Rogue One seemed to fall into the War Film genre a little more. Do it got me thinking if maybe these Spin Off will be experimenting with different genres within the Star War universe. Knowing the Han Solo is a smuggler around the time this movie is set, what sorts of genres do you think/hope it will fall into?

For me, even though Rogue One was technically a heist movie, you're typical heist movie doesn't usually have full out open battle lasting a third of the movie. I would love to see a more chess-like twisty heist movie with Han Solo ala Mamet's "Heist" or Soderbergh's "Ocean's Eleven".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    My ideal "genre" for the Han Solo film would be the fun, but not cartoonish heist film as characterized by the Oceans series.

With a light splash of Indiana Jones and the Searchers.

17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Something like Cowboy Bebop.
    Space western with humor and drama, and a tiny bit of wackiness too.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  19. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Anyone seen Maverick? :D

Sarge likes this.
  20. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    I think that the young Han Solo film should show the seedy underbelly of the Star Wars Galaxy what with smuggling and all.

21. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lord and Miller stuff is funny and zany. I expect that, mostly, but they can hit you with some genuinely heartfelt moments too. But R1 and even TFA are a tad on the heavy side so it would be nice to see a Star Wars movie that leans more zany than brooding.

B3 and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

In a post-credits scene, Vin Diesel tells Han, "You still owe me a ten-second pod."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    "Chewie and me got into a lot of places more heavily guarded than this." I hope to see a fun but not funny movie. Han Solo is pretty witty but he's not funny.

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think Han racing for credits would fit his character. Something that precedes the Kessell Run.