main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Tone/Genre Of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, Apr 13, 2017.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I wouldn't call that a fourth-wall breaking moment. It's not like he winked at the camera or anything.

2. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Or Stand By Me. The movie ends with Han sitting at his electronic wordscreen, looking out the window, watching young Ben very aggressively swordfighting with a friend in the front yard. Han mutters to himself: "Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"
    Happy malt shop music..... iris out..... credits.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Definitely a Space Western vibe. A heist film. An action/adventure film. What else did you guys notice?

4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    That's definitely what I'm seeing but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Not enough familiarity. (it's just a minute long trailer though so I'm not saying there won't be any)

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Not the Lando moment, no, but I think Threepio's "How typical" to the camera in TESB is the closest SW has ever come to breaking the fourth wall.

Blobofat likes this.
  6. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah, I see action/adventure, which is always safe but good.

With reports that Lord & Miller's version was a comedy, I'm glad Ron Howard was brought in to save this film.

11-4D likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm still expecting lots of comedy, and it looks like Qi'ra is going to be a romantic interest.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It seems like it will feel like some sort of heist movie.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Ron Howard - "Like an Old Western".

We got scoundrels, sidekicks and trains with those scoundrels and sidekicks on said train.

Think we will get some kind of train robbery?

Old Western with train robberies.

wobbits likes this.
  11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Buccaneer swashbuckling?

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Pirates, gunslingers, con-artists, gamblers, Military men gone bad, slavery, prison breaks, knife fights, dogfights, car chases and robberies.

Mary Poppins it ain't.

Luke'sSeveredHand and wobbits like this.
  13. Revan's Revenge

Revan's Revenge Jedi Knight

Dec 27, 2017
    Definitely a heist film, tone of an action/comedy, with all the irreverence of Han himself.

wobbits likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Seems to me (based on the trailer) it resembles a tone similar to Rogue One. Still definitely Star Wars, but with a bit more grittiness and rough edges to it-just perhaps (reportedly) more humor. All of which I would be just fine with.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Nope it ain't, now you have to hope that interest is there and that this movie don't become like the animated Clone War movie. Granted, it will make more than that movie, but, I'm not feeling the vibe.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Certainly it will be lighter in tone than the last 2 SW movies, and it has every reason to be. It should and probably will be a wild, fun, fairly suspenseful adventure movie. It will have bits of darkness and grit like all SW movies (more so than TPM or ROTJ I think), but overall, it will be a blast.

Nor should it be. But there is a big gap between Mary Poppins and TLJ or R1; lots of room to be somewhere in between.

Your first sentence describes movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which are pretty fun, and I think are about the type of tone that this should be.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Bossk_Baby, 11-4D and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll be so grim and so dark, Salo will be a laugh riot by comparison.

Lee_ likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That would be too lightweight for this movie- it should be a cross between Salo and the Re-animator.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Lighter in tone than the last few Star Wars movies? Definitely. But they made the right choice in keeping the look and feel of the underworld dark. Gritty and realistic, rather than going the goofy, neon-streaked Guardians of the Galaxy route. That's what distinguishes Star Wars from Marvel. They are fun adventure movies, but they are grounded in at least a semblance of reality.

ETA: Also, I think the difference between the ST and the Anthologies is not humor. It's visual and storytelling style. Rogue One and Solo seem to be told a more realistic, slightly more adult storytelling medium. It looks like it's life, rather than larger than life. Solo will be funny, but the humor will be grounded in realistic banter, ribbing and ball-busting. And it will all look plausible. The ST, on the other hand, adheres to a more comic book style, with the situations, humor and visuals being more over the top. I mean, imagine the Crait standoff with Luke and Kylo in an Anthology film? No way. The ST is mythic, and the Anthologies are mimetic. All good to me. I'm just more in the mood for the latter these days.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    TheRebelFleet likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought the tone turned out pretty much perfect.

Glitterstimm, Siphonophore and AV-6R7 like this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It was darker than what I anticipated. Yet it was still a fun adventure.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I liked that Ron Howard seems to have watched the original SW movies with an eye for tone and matched it up pretty well. Unlike some others...

UK Sullustian likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got a little Kelly's Heroes vibe when Han was trying to join up with Beckett on Mimban.