The Top 5 Star Wars FanFilms

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VinDyr01, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. VinDyr01 Jedi Knight

After careful research of all existing Star Wars FanFilms, I have come up with the cream of the crop. To allow the best possible review of each title, I have decided to rate each film in four seperate categories, each on a 5 number system. As time goes by, I will provide detailed justifications for each film on the list, which is always subject to change.

Categories
    Music: Did the musical score chosen for the film match the action?

Special Effects: Were the effects used in the film make sense?

Sound: Did the sound effects used in the film match the action? Were the actors heard clearly?

Direction/Fight Choreography: How was the action directed? Did the film flow easily from one incident to the next?

Acting: How did the actors perform their roles? Did they provide adequate, believeable characters, with appropriate emotional and psychological depth.

Well, here goes nothing....

#5: Knight Quest
    Music: 3.0
    Special Effects: 3.5
    Sound: 3.0
    Direction/Fight Choreography: 3.5
    Acting: 2.5

#4: A Question of Faith
    Music: 3.5
    Special Effects: 3.5
    Sound: 3.0
    Directon/Fight Choreography: 3.5
    Acting: 3.0

#3: Seeds of Darkness
    Music: 3.5
    Special Effects: 4.0
    Sound: 4.0
    Direction/Fight Choreography: 3.5
    Acting: 3.0

#2: Duality
    Music: 4.0
    Special Effects: 4.0
    Sound: 4.0
    Direction/Fight Choreography: 4.0
    Acting: 4.0

#1: Troops
    Music: 4.5
    Special Effects: 4.5
    Sound: 5.0
    Direction/Fight Choreography: 5.0
    Acting: 5.0

Well, that's it for the "by-category" listing. A detailed justification of the list's ordering will be posted in due time.
  2. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not going to dispute your choices, since everyone has a right to their opinion. What i do have issues with is that you've put fight choreography and directing in the same catagory. Those are two VERY different things.

-Chris
  3. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not going to be the one to do it, though I have a feeling your gonna get flamed for bringing up a "which is best" topic. I've seen many people get flamed for doing the same thing.

i agree with Chris and everybody who thinks the following: Directing and fight choreography are completely different things. They should not be in the same category.
  4. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL !

This is his first post...! Wew ! This one is by far the most courageous newbie I've ever seen ! :)

We got a second Judge on the boards, now ! (wonder how JediTAC will react, though) ;)

Oh, and yeah, Chris is right, those are your opinion. KnightQuest = Joe Monroe had hired professional actors, for the most of them. I personnaly think it would deserve 4.0 as well. Not because they just are professional actors, but rather because I really thought they were good. OK. Just my opinion here...
  5. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    I noticed one mistake there Seeds of Darkness deserves the highest in music...it was oringal!
  6. Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    JEDIBYKNIGHT is right, you've got to give him credit for bravery. :)
  7. buliwif Jedi Master

star 4
    well, you have to admit, he's taken a different route than most "which *blank* is better" threads... he's just straight out giving his opinions... think of it like a Siskel & Ebert type of thing... he's a fanfilm movie critic....

so, until next time, we'll see YOU at the computer!
  8. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    << I noticed one mistake there Seeds of Darkness deserves the highest in music...it was oringal! >>

Duality (eventually) had original music too.
  9. Darth_Gehenna Jedi Master

star 3
    My personal favorites in no particular order . . .

Duality
    Two-Ness
    Park Wars
    The Ancient Power
    A Question of Faith
    The Empire Strikes Backyard

EDIT: DOH! Forgot TESBY!
  10. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    First of all . . . . . . . . . . .
    NO ONE replaces or overtakes Judge JediTAC . . . . NO ONE. :mad: 8-}

Geez, the guy can't even say "hello" first ......
    He just comes right out with his quasi rating system and decides (in classic Newbie fashion) to compare FanFilms to each other.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but I have to say that I think his little "rating system" is a bit insulting to the filmmakers. It's one thing to offer up comments and constructive opinions/criticism, it's another to "rate" a person's work with some kind of pseudo credentials to do so. Kind of disrespectful if you ask me.

Welcome to the Forum, Vin.

11. buliwif Jedi Master

star 4
    hey, vin... i think he likes you! ;)
  12. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Judge JediTAC has judged the new judge...

13. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    The judge judged the judge who judged the judged.
  14. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    it's Judgement Day... 8-}

Ok, let's stop those stupid jokes !
  15. Cunard Jedi Knight

star 1
    Doesn't anyone care that he left out Best Original Screenplay/story (or something along those lines}?
    Story is what makes or breaks a film for me, honestly. Though I did like Duality's SFX.
  16. The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    "He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but I have to say that I think his little "rating system" is a bit insulting to the filmmakers."

I agree. But if he had, let's say, wrote a few mini-reviews on each fan film, THEN accompanied that with his ratings, I'd say that'd be okay. But he didn't explain his ratings. And there, I can see how that'd be insulting.
  17. Somedude Jedi Knight

star 2
    Besides, there are alot more fan films out ther that deserve credit aswell.

"The Dark Redemption" was nice,
    "George Lucas In Love" was funny,
    and "Thumb Wars" was also humerous.

"Battle for the Zone" maybe wasn't the best of fan films, but it had a definitly more original idea than simple saber fighting small films.

Vin, don't try and judge fan made films, they do not get payed for doing these movies and so credit is given to anyone who completes a fan film project. No matter how good or bad it is.

Oh and, who's got the remote for JediTAC's restraining bolt? I think somebody's pressing it alot of times.. :D:)
  18. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    <. . . if he had, let's say, wrote a few mini-reviews on each fan film, THEN accompanied that with his ratings,
    I'd say that'd be okay. But he didn't explain his ratings.>

That's a good point ... and I agree, I think it would have given a little bit more validity to his "ratings."
    As it stands right now, it just seems kind of arrogant.

Oh well.
  19. Ryallt Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...and what about writing? Why not a category for writing?

Kev
  20. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    Obviously the newbie thinks that these films write themselves!

Semaj
    WRITER
    Rogue
    http://www.rogue-themovie.com

21. el_director Jedi Knight

star 2
    Not be divisive here, but I disagree with VinDyr01. Those are all great films (well, I must admit I haven't though I have dowloaded both SOD and KQ, I havne't watched them yet.), there is one undisputed champion of fan films.

PA Wars and
    Duel of the Fakes

I don't remember who said it on these boards, but 'cheez is good.'
  22. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    ROGUE gets no respect? ;)

I have to say that the grandaddy of all fan films is, and will always be, my personal favorite ... HARDWARE WARS. Even though it isn't necessarily a fan film per se, it surely was the forerunner and blazed a trail for the rest of us to follow. I mean, who can compete with "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye?"

Also, how can one or award points on music when most (on the order of 99.9%) of all fan films use STAR WARS music in their films? rendering kudos on that seems a wash to me and thus a non sequitor.

IMHO, that is.
  23. VinDyr01 Jedi Knight

First off, Hello....

I'm happy to see that you guys have given me a lot of feedback. To tell you the truth, I was a little worried about what kind of harsh things would be said about my little insignificant "list."
    Please keep in mind that these are only opinions. I thank those that have sympathized with me, and I apologize for not saying that sooner. What really concerned me at the time of writing was to get the list out first, create a little feedback loop, and then add on at a later date. That way I at least would be heard (at best, ignored.)
    Now, don't get me wrong. I am a Star Wars fan. I am not saying that I don't appreciate Fan Films, because they are the fan's way of thanking Lucas for creating the rich, imaginative world that we all have come to love. I respect the filmmakers who have bravely risked all to give us these delightful gems of entertainment. However, as a fan, we are entitled to our own opinion. After all, if it wasn't because of the fan suppoert Star Wars would never have become the power-house "franchise" that it is today (I really hate it when it's called that, by the way.)

Now, onto more pressing concerns:

Because of the debate that has settled around Fight Choreography and Direction being two different aspects of filmmaking, I have decided to give some reasons as to why the two categories were put together.

First (and I may be alone in this line of thought), I am of the opinion that in filmmaking, the director is equivalent to GOD. He is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production, including special effects, ,screenplay, music and fight choreography.
    I know that the direction the scenes of a movie is different than the fight choreography and look seperate, but essentially they're the same thing. A choreographed fight is nothing more than an action sequence that has a beginning, a middle and end. A scene is a dialogue sequence that has a beginning, middle, and end. Now since all action and dialogue scenes fall under to the director to say what stays and what goes, then both should be in the same category. Action and Dialogue go hand in hand. If both are done well, the movie most likely suceeeds, like Star Wars. If only one is done well, the movie appeals only to a certain audience, and its fate is in the audience's hands. To me, that's an example of poor filmmaking.

Well, there's the end of my response. Stay tuned to the boards for the list's detailed justifications.

I thank the gallery for its patience.

May The Force Be With You.
    VinDyr01
  24. GrnJalera Jedi Knight

star 3
    "A choreographed fight is nothing more than an action sequence that has a beginning, a middle and end"

Spoken like someone who has never filmed a fight sequence ;)
  25. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    But the Director isn't the one who creates these things. Usually he does not write the stroy (in fanfilms this is often the case though), and does not usually choreograph the fights.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.