The Top 5 Star Wars FanFilms

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VinDyr01, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. VinDyr01 Jedi Youngling

We have certainly created a debate here. Very well... In response to the growing concern (and with regards to the fact that you guys have a point, but then again, so do I) I have decided to revise the categories on the list. I appreciate the feedback. Stay tuned for a new review-by-categories along with the justifications for each film in due time.

Thanks to the gallery.

May The Force Be With You.

VinDyr01
  2. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    man, you should see some DVD BTS stuff, you'd realize how different things are. Did you know George Lucas didn't choreographed the fights, not in ANY of the SW movies ?

Oh, check out the BTS videos for BA.
  3. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    Beware, Vin, I am about to REALLY let you have it. As a screenwriter, I take GREAT offense to your notion that because the director is considered "god" that he indeed should get credit for the written word of the film. The film is first created by the writer who places it down on paper. Without the writer, there is simply NO FILM. Period. The writer creates not only the dialogue and the narrative, but the very blueprint by which the film is interpreted. The writer is, in essence, the architect of a film.

Now, a director may indeed rewrite a film or even write it and get writing credit, but in that instance, the director WEARS A WRITER'S HAT.

Where we to use your argument, then the editor would trump the director, or - as in the case of many movies in hollywood - the producer - who often times recuts a film to appease the studios.

This is also true about films based on another work, such as a book. What about Kenneth Brannaugh's Shakespearean films? Did Shakespeare simply cease being the author just because KB decided to make a movie based on one of his plays? I think not.

There is simply NO WAY that a category for writer can simply be overlooked or lumped in with director just because the director takes the written word and interprets it according to his vision on film.

4. JediTAC Jedi Knight

star 5
    You know what .....
    No offense Vin, but I think you should probably just nix this whole rating thing altogether.

Seems like too many people are taking offense to things ....... just like I thought they might. ;)
  5. VinDyr01 Jedi Youngling

I can't believe how much flak I got on this little post. I like touching on hot topics. It creates a debate unlike anywhere else. But all the same, here goes nothing.

To Semaj: I appreciate your feedback. I apologize for offending you. I meant nothing personal by the remark, but it is a creative fact of filmmaking that the director is the "auteur" of the film, and thus receives the credit. The writer receives the story credit, but once the director comes on the production, the screen writer is only referred to sparingly for story reference, and rarely has any say on what appears on screen (I speak from personal experiences.) If it will make you feel better, I will develop a new category for the list: Story/Screenplay. Okay?

To Everyone Else: Stay tuned. Because of the new changes, the categories on the list shall be revised, and posted on this topic in due time.

May The Force Be With You.

VinDyr01
  6. JediTAC Jedi Knight

star 5
    We're a fiesty bunch .... aint we ??? ;)
  7. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "one undisputed champion of fan films"

First of all, you stated two. Second, I would dispute them, so they aren't undisputed.

I agree that it would seem you don't have an entirely realistic grasp of what the director does and what his place is. That's okay, for a long time I had no idea what a producer really did, but be careful about what you say.

The Ebert bit doesn't really work for most people, so I'd just say forget it.

As for this:

"It is a creative fact of filmmaking that the director is the "auteur" of the film, and thus receives the credit."

But not a universally accepted one. Screenwriters despise this practice and WGA for one has been fighting like mad to change it. The director puts the film on screen, but without the writer there'd be nothing for the director to film.

M. Scott
  8. el_director Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I tell you, PA Wars/Duel of the Fakes is the best! I still can't get enough of the Yoda Cola bit!
  9. Aerin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

yo now ya'll back off my bud vyndr here theres nothin wrong with a little newbie opinionation here. Some of the wisest characters come in to play as newbies (as you will see in my upcoming film :D) anyways i like what he's got going here and if you all think that thers a better way to rate it more fairly lets see it! Its a matter of opinion mostly but there is some reasoning, now the only thing i dont agree with here is the low rating for duality's fight coreography. I wouldnt give it a 5 because its not quit up to par as far as fluency but i think it deserves a 4.5 its pretty bad ass. Anyways its just an opinion. No offense. None taken. Hehehe. So anyways I'd like to see my film rated like this when we're done!
  10. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just as a question, what exactly is "par" for a fight?

M. Scott
  11. JediTAC Jedi Knight

star 5
    <So anyways I'd like to see my film rated like this when we're done! >

YOU GOT IT :D

12. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't take offense, I took acception. And it is also a creative fact that writers have been getting screwed in Hollywood for a hundred years with this attitude and it was only a matter of time before it leaked onto this board.

I too have experience in this. And I agree with Scott. The WGA nearly went on strike this year because of that auteur attitude and has been fighting it almost since day one of shooting a century ago. But the fact is ... and it isn't a creative one ... that directors don't like to share the auteur pie. That is an ego thing.

Actually, I don't really care if the director chooses to have the "a film by credit" over the film. It is a film by the director. That really isn't the point here. If directors and writers could have the same relationship as an architect and builder, it wouldn't happen. But we all know that it never will.

And you shouldn't make the story/screenplay category to placate me. You should have it because it's the right thing to do.

You have your opinions, Vin, and you are certainly entitled to them.

Oh, and BTW - I thought you should be reminded of who WROTE the highest grossing films of all time - even if some were the directors as well:

1. Titanic
    Written by James Cameron 1997

2. Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace
    Written by George Lucas 1999

3. Jurassic Park
    Screenplay by Michael Crichton and David Koepp, based on the novel by Michael Crichton 1993

4. Independence Day Written by Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich 1996

5. Star Wars
    Written by George Lucas 1977

6. The Lion King Written by Irene Mecchi, Story by Jim Capoblanco 1994

7. E.T. the Extraterrestrial
    Written by Melissa Mathison 1982

8. Forrest Gump Screenplay by Eric Roth, based on the novel by Winston Groom 1994

9. The Sixth Sense
    Written by M. Night Shyamalan 1999

10. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Screenplay by David Koepp, based on the novel The Lost World by Michael Crichton 1997
  13. Wookie Pnub Jedi Master

star 1
    Five out of the top ten movies written by the (respective) director? That's a pretty good ratio.

I know that's not the point you were making, but don't you find it heartening to see so many top directors writing their own material?
  14. Zayn Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I wrote director next to everything the director is involved in:

it took me one night to write last man... (writer)

it took me one month to storyboard, get cast/crew, block, and paint the set (director)

3 days shooting (director)

4 days to drive to LA to get the film processed (director)

6 weeks of editing (director)

maybe there is a reason directors feel they should get more creds then the writer... I dont know- what do you all think? This might be smaller scale but it's almost the same when you get into bigger producions (cept if your in LA you dont have to go as far to go telecini and lots of times it's just the DP there)

I hate writing myself, in fact I try to avoid writing when I can but as hard as it is for me making the film come to life is about 1000x's harder... it's one thing to put on paper: "Jan is blown up" it's another thing to raise the money (get a budget) to hire a stunt guy and rent all the eqt. you need. Then film all of that. I don?t this it?s a ego thing, I think it?s a ?give credit where credit is due thing.? To me the argument of ?without a writer there is no film? isn?t very strong, because you can easily say ?without the _____ there would be no film? the blank is about 50 crew positions that I can think of? (eg- the DP, AD, the film commission, the studio, the FX guys) FYI did you know your DP shoot, lights, and films your eniter film- yet I dont know one DP's name off the top of my head, hows that for lack of recognition? I feel bad for them...

dorkman said "The director puts the film on screen, but without the writer there'd be nothing for the director to film."
    I say the writer puts the film on paper, but without the director there'd be no one to bring the story to life.

"The writer receives the story credit, but once the director comes on the production, the screen writer is only referred to sparingly for story reference, and rarely has any say on what appears on screen"

true and there is a reason for this- too many cooks in the kitchen... too many chefs in the tribe (need I say more?)

but with all I the writer is the one who did make the charters and I agree that there should be a category ---I just don?t agree w/ writers almost striking because they want films to say: ?A film by ________? with there name in the blank when they have almost nothing to do with what happens on the screen. (I think that's the reason Im kinda in a ranty mood right now, when I hear these things it just makes me mad)

as for some film history- writers use to work 9-5 jobs- they would clock in and punch out, one might do the dialog and the next might do a fight scene and before that writers wrote silent films so to say ?And it is also a creative fact that writers have been getting screwed in Hollywood for a hundred years with this attitude and it was only a matter of time before it leaked onto this board.? is a little misleading most of the early early stuff was written by the film maker? and before that they were just ?reality?s? like ?workers leaving the factory? or shots like ?watering the gardener? and a little bitter... I think any person who is part of a film can complain about not getting enough credit (except actors)- eg the director gets tons of credit but they are the #1 person to get blamed if the film is bad, while ppl who are into film might be able to see that it was bad writing the gen public cant. And other then maybe 20 top directors (if that) there is not a whole lot of recognition

oh BTW- JP was just bumped to #11 by harry potter who took #10

(so im also guessing we have no editors in the crowd because they get even less then writers and they put the eniter film together... they are one of the '3 times a film is made')

wow I looked at this post in preview- this is prob the longest one I've ever written... I guess that servers me right attempting to write a post at 2am :\
  15. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    Zayn,

first off, if your raising money, hiring a stunt guy, and renting all the eqt - you aren't wearing the director's hat, you're wearing the producer's hat. Secondly, I don't think the writer's should have "a film by" credit at all. I agree with you that that was a silly thing, however, writer's have historically had their craft minimalized in favor of the diefication of the director. Thank god the Academy at least recognizes the writer's efforts with awards for best screenplay and best adaptation.

And did you know that those so-called 9-5 writers were basically locked in their offices with security posted to make sure they stayed at their desks and wrote? In the golden age of Hollywood they were practically jailed until they finished their work.

Also, I find your statement that "without the director there'd be no one to bring the story to life". Using that bar, any Shakespearean play was dead until Brannaugh came along. Or any book that was adapted to film was dead until the director came along. That's just plain silly. THE STORY IS ALIVE IN THE IMAGINATION.

Writing is HARD. It's a constant battle in the mind. And REWRITING is just as hard.

Look, I'm not saying that the writer should be on the set cometing with the director. An army can't have two generals.

And I'm not saying the director shouldn't get credit for the work they do. DAMN STRAIGHT THEY SHOULD.

But the writer's efforts shouldn't be minimalized simply because he sits at a computer and types.

ps - look for Lord of the Rings to top Potter.
  16. Zayn Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "first off, if your raising money, hiring a stunt guy, and renting all the eqt - you aren't wearing the director's hat, you're wearing the producer's hat."
    gee thanks of telling I didn't know what ::rolls eyes:: I said anything a director was part of, did they not storyboard all this? Did they not give the producer all the info they need so the producer could get this stuff? And did they not approve it when it came in?

"Secondly, I don't think the writer's should have "a film by" credit at all."

then your taking so much offence to what Im saying because...?

"I agree with you that that was a silly thing, however, writer's have historically had their craft minimalized in favor of the diefication of the director. Thank god the Academy at least recognizes the writer's efforts with awards for best screenplay and best adaptation."

ok then as a director im going to coplain that actors get all the gloy when all they do is show up for a month, put on a costume, and say some lines. However I know better... it's all about the public- if your a writer and you wanna have a name you have to promote yourself

"And did you know that those so-called 9-5 writers were basically locked in their offices with security posted to make sure they stayed at their desks and wrote? In the golden age of Hollywood they were practically jailed until they finished their work."

or are newspaper writers... so are is any one in an office job, yet some how a lot of them were creavtive... And some of the best movies came from that time

"Also, I find your statement that "without the director there'd be no one to bring the story to life". Using that bar, any Shakespearean play was dead until Brannaugh came along. Or any book that was adapted to film was dead until the director came along. That's just plain silly. THE STORY IS ALIVE IN THE IMAGINATION."

then write a book or a play, I dont know many in the gen public who sit down to read a screen play that isn't in production or hasn't been produced

"Writing is HARD. It's a constant battle in the mind. And REWRITING is just as hard."

I agree
  17. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    I wasn't taking offence to the film by credit. In fact, I haven't taken offence to anything.

But I do take exception to the notion that a story is lifeless unless a director comes along and does some sort of magic to make it come to life.

My issue was that a film is born in the imagination of the screenwriter. And it should be recognized as such.
  18. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    When you buy "Lord of the Rings" at a bookshop, does it say on the cover "Lord of the Rings published by Boxtree Publications" in great big letters?
    Of course not. But why shouldn't it. We wouldn't get the magic of the book unless someone got the words, rearranged them on the page, added page numbers, put it through a press, and made loads of copies for us to read.

No, instead we get "by JRR Tolkien" in big letters, because he wrote the blasted thing in the first place!

(In case this isn't clear, I'm agreeing with James!)
  19. Zayn Jedi Youngling

star 3
    yeah but the printing copy only prints it- a director does a little more then print the film... if you have ever directed you would know that

what you are saying is more like comparing it to Fox or Dream works...

If you want the writer to be reconized more how would you suggest doing that? stand on a roof and shout? Give out tons more awards? The gen public has to care about them in order for that to happen, most people only care about the actors anyway. I know I dont go out of my way to find out who wrote a movie unless it really impressed me. And the 'great' writers in hollywood that ppl really love I dont think are that great. Again a lot of it comes from self permotion.
  20. JediTAC Jedi Knight

star 5
    That's an EXCELLENT point, Zayn . . . . .

If you want the writer to be recognized more, then HOW would you suggest it be done?
  21. andakin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    During the summer, I served during an extra on a Disney TV Movie. There was a writers chair sitting right next to the Producer and Director chairs. That was surprising. However, the director sucked. He, (through the AD's and PA's) would have us, the crowd, pantomime on screen whenever there was significant noise or dialogue going on. He had the opposing basketball team warm up in the background during dialog "Without having the ball touch the ground" because it made background noise. Obviously, this man knew little about editing, since the sound would end up being re-dubbed and mixed later. The writer seemed more of a tag along, maybe feeding lines, giving no help to the director. Though this has turned into a rail on Mr. Dunford, I'm trying to say that even with writers on set, they're used very little.
  22. PixelMagic Jedi Master

star 5
    You forgot to mention my movie as one of the top 5. Shame on you people....
  23. jessica_7044 Jedi Youngling

"Usually he does not write the stroy...and does not usually choreograph the fights"

I'm going to have to agree with Animaster here. Yes, the director's task is to direct the action, but he doesn't neccessarily create it.

In response to Vin's ratings, it does seem a bit arrogant to rate someone else's work without giving reasons to why a rating was given, but at the same time, let's not get over-emotional here people. **cough** JediTAC **cough** Excuse me.
  24. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    wow-ho ! Another newbie that puts himself/herself just in JediTAC's line of fire !!! Courage is not a rare virtue anymore, people ! 8-}
  25. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    I don't think James was saying give the writers more credit, but rather let's recognise them for the important job they do - something which Zayn clearly thinks is tantamount to nothing. I didn't take kindly to your remark about "if you have ever directed you would know that". Yes I have directed, and I have written, in both theatre and film. Both are very difficult roles, but it has to be said. Not even the greatest director can take a crap story and turn it into a good film. The argument mentioned earlier about saying you can say "Without a ______ there will be no film" for any person in the film making process simply does not hold water. You can make a good film with a mediocre editor, a mediocre Sound Effects guy, a mediocre cosutme desginer etc etc, but you CAN'T make a good film without a good story.

To get a good film together, there are 3 essential people. Director, Producer, and Writer. Although all the other roles can't be done by pretty much anybody, there are certainly a hell of a lot more people that can do those roles.

I say let credit be given where credit is due, but let's not undervalue the writers role in film production. Yes, it's not as demanding a role as the director, but it's still a very important one, and should be treated as such
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.