main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Top Ten Most Annoying Characters On TV: Now Disc. 1) Eric Murphy & Johnny Chase, Entourage

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Top Ten Most Annoying Characters On TV
    by TV.com

"We love TV. We love TV shows. We love TV characters. Well, for the most part. Unfortunately there are some characters on TV?on shows we like, on shows we hate?that are just so freaking annoying. Characters who make us groan every time they show up, who make us throw things (soft things) at the television set, who make us, however briefly, consider not watching the show at all. Because it's the holidays and our cold, Grinch-like hearts are extra black this time of year, and because everyone's doing top 10 lists right now, we decided to make a list of the top 10 most annoying characters on television. Agree with us? Vociferously disagree? Let us know in the comments!

10) Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly, The Office

They didn't use to be annoying. Oh how we loved them once. We awwwed at their doe-eyed budding romance, guffawed at their cutely sarcastic asides, even swooned at their regular-folks good looks. But now? The two characters have just gotten so smug, haven't they? Jim's little eye rolls to the cameras and Pam's bordering-on-cruel humoring of Michael's crazy ideas?it all just seems so mean-spirited now. We get it, Jim and Pam. You're cute and young and have found love, while everyone else in the office is old and weird and alone. But you know what? We like those weirdos a lot more than you two these days. Heck, we even like Ryan more than you two. And we really don't enjoy Ryan. The writers need to write more scenes, or whole episodes even, where Jim and Pam prove to be just as silly and clueless as the other characters, or we may never like them again."

OK, guys, just remember...this is *their* opinion.

2. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Man I gotta agree with this. Up through the end of season 3 these characters were great but particular over the past 2 seasons or so theyve made particularly Pam so unlikeable that I dont even watch it anymore

3. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I'll agree as well. They both had really great development, and their relationship had so much awkwardness it could almost be chemistry. But I think many of the characters in the office have gone stale as well (Michael, especially). It's hard to develop a character, and a story, when you're playing a stereotype: once built, they have nowhere else to go. They still deliver some good stuff, but it's getting old.

4. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    That's interesting. I like the show, but somehow thought their cruelty was almost humorous. In fact their cruelty seems to be their main flaw--just as every character seems to have certain flaws. Michael is actually a much nicer person than those two even though he's not so bright--he's more innocent at heart in my opinion, despite his accidental insults, racism, etc.

My father doesn't like the show because he thinks it's just too mean, though. I've heard several other people express similar concerns.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, I disagree in a sense, but I also agree. I think they are different, and right now they might not be as likable, but I think its on purpose. Pam, is pregnant, and her hormones are kind of going crazy, and its made her a bit short tempered. That makes life in general not so much fun. She's not in a position to screw with Dwight, or sit around ad goof off with Jim. She's a saleswoman now, and from the sound of it, not a great one. She's learning a new job, and so far, not learning it well. That also contributes to a bit of a short temper.

With Jim, I think his current state is very much on purpose, and the writers might be setting something up with him. I saw an early episode, from season 2, I think, where Jim mentioned, mostly joking, but with a bit of honesty, that if his job at Dunder-Mifflin became his career, he'd have to kill himself. Well, now, all of sudden, it is his career. He's management, and he can't just walk away from the job. Not with a wife and a new baby on the way. That's not the time to quit your job and look for something better. He realizes this, and I don't think Jim is very happy right now. He loves Pam, he's looking forward to being a father, but he's miserable at work. And to top it all off, the person who was always his outlet, the person he could goof around with, is pregnant, and short tempered, and not up for any hijinks.

I think the current state of the two characters is very much something the writer's are doing with a plan (at least I hope so), and this year could end with something like Jim leaving D-M, getting a different job somewhere, or something major happening to him with this new owner of the company.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure if it's the same moment you're referring to or not, ut there was an episode where they suggested Jim could become Michael eventually if he wasn't careful. I think that's the path they've set for Jim- him trying to avoid being Michael but still taking the promotions due to the above. Small things like Jim letting Michael fall, etc.

And I really don't think they're annoying- they're still the normal gateway characters for the show, but they are more stressed due to circumstances, as well as in reaction to Michael's increasing blundering (the promised college tuition, running his own paper company into the hole even after having to be forced to start it up again- I'd be a bit snippy at Michael too after all that).

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

9) Vanessa Abrams, Gossip Girl

"Why, exactly, is Vanessa even on this show? The character in the books was interesting?a shaved-headed, sexually curious artiste. But because The CW seems mostly unwilling to have any truly off-beat characters, they've served us this wan, lukewarm, centrist version of Vanessa. For the first two seasons her presence was only occasional, which we could tolerate. But now she's on every darn episode, stinking up the joint with her dumb video projects and wicked habit of dating really annoying boys (Dan's half-brother, anyone?) Vanessa doesn't really serve any grand purpose as a character on the show, she's only tied to Dan after all, and Jessica Szohr isn't exactly Kitty Hepburn in the acting department, so we're really not sure why she's not only still on the show, but been given a far bigger role this year. We suspect it has something to do with the fact that she's the only person of color in the otherwise lily-white cast."

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

8) Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

"Legen... wait for it... darily annoying. What began five seasons ago as a fun little joke?look it's little Doogie Howser, an out gay person, as a total lady-hound!?has devolved into a lazy and uninteresting and overacted nightmare. Around the time the whole Bro Bible or Bro Code book came out, the dude-bro Barney jokes started to become increasingly stale and painfully forced. While the writers stirred up some interesting new notes last season by having Barney fall genuinely in love with Robin, that relationship is done now and he's back to his old, tiresome phrase-coining tricks. On a sitcom where most of the other characters are admirably fleshed-out as real people, Barney remains the sole caricature, a series of jokes your college buddies came up with that you laugh at less and less as the years go by."

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    This list is now dead to me.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Annoying?

Pfft.

More like awesome. Pfft.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've only see one episode of HIMYM, but I didn't like it at all. I sort of agree with their take on the character.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    When he becomes annoying, he stops being annoying and becomes awesome instead.

True story.

13. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I don't like this list.

I find neither Jim, Pam or Barney annoying. I havent seen Gossip Girl, but I'm sure the list is wrong there too.

14. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I think whomever placed Barney on the Most Annoying Characters On TV list should get a surprise SLAP!

I just started watching HIMYM and have caught myself up to the current season and I can rightfully say that no episode made me hate Barney. In fact, he got funnier as the show went on. I did sort of question why he wanted to be with Robin. Those two are too similar to date. The Playbook was just downright hilarious! The Cheap Trick Play was priceless! He's back to his old tricks again. Or as Barney would put it:

Daddy's home!

15. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999

Yeah!

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    7) Rita Bennett, Dexter

"While we mostly love the beatific Julie Benz, her complaining wifey character has been reduced to little more than whimpering and murmuring about Dexter's commitment to the family. We thought the character might go a little dark by stepping out on Dexter with the hunky next door neighbor, but all we got was a little kiss, Rita apologizing, and then feeling bad that Dexter didn't feel bad. Why the Dexter writers, who have shown that they can craft interesting well-rounded women characters in Deb and LaGuerta, tromp so heavily into nagging wife cliches with Rita is a more baffling mystery than some of Miami Metro's murder cases. Might Rita die next week? For the first time since the series began, we really feel like we wouldn't miss her."

Well...that's good. [face_whistling]

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I actually stopped watching the show because of Rita Bennett, she fully deserve to be on the list.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I kept hoping that Rita could end up in a situation where she needed to kill someone to save Dexter/the kids, and be horrified at how much she enjoys the feeling of power it gives her. Leading to a season where Rita comes to share all aspects of Dexter's life.

Sigh.

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That would have been great indeed.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    6) Mark Benford, FlashForward

"Mark Benford is an alcoholic. And that's the best thing about him. A poor man's Jack from Lost that talks like Christian Bale's Batman and Steven Seagal, Benford is so one-dimensional that he disappears when he turns sideways. And he's supposed to be our hero? Never before in the history of television have we had to rely on such an incompetent FBI agent. Not only do we not trust him to figure out what happened in the event of a worldwide blackout, we wouldn't even trust him to find out what happened in the event of a freshman coed's blackout at a frat party. And for God's sake, unfurrow your brow."

21. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    You know something, Zaz... you have more guts and honesty... thanks...

I'm going to Antarctica, ... I"ll call from Ross ....

Note: Going to play "Chevalier De Sangreal" on the...

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Owen, are you okay? :confused:

Next:

5) Brandon, V

"The heavyset sidekick is a staple of entertainment, and almost impossible to screw up. But along comes V with the most annoying fat friend ever. Brandon, Tyler's portly wingman, is just around to say things like, "Dude! Awesome! That chick is hot!" The guy is so annoying he makes Tyler look tolerable by comparison. Our theory? The writers needed an alien to befriend Tyler before the invasion and came up with Brandon, a lizard in disguise (it's so obvious). Only they forgot to give him a human side, too."

23. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I agree with 5 and 6.

Mark Benford only wears one expression. It gets annoying after awhile. And Brandon is just kind of pointless. If you edited in a giant potted plant over him in all of his shots, you probably wouldn't get too much of a change.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    4) Elliot Stabler, Law & Order: SVU

"While we still love this show's silly/grim melodrama, our beloved Det. Stabler is wearing on our nerves a bit. Seriously, just how many cases can you get Too Close To? How many times can you let your bellicose Catholicism and old-guard Marines-iness affect how you handle a case before you have to turn in your gun and badge, permanently? SVU has always been the most interesting iteration of Dick Wolf's theater-industry-saving (so many actors employed...) juggernaut franchise, but not only because it deals with wicked and prurient things like sex crimes. We also enjoy that you do get to know the characters a little bit, that there's some genuine psychology at work in the heroes beyond the original series' weary seen-it-all-ism. But it has gotten to be a bit much. Olivia's problems are at least a bit more nuanced, whereas every other week the show seems to simply be the Christopher Meloni Acts Intense Hour. For example, did you see that ludicrous solitary-confinement episode? We half expected "White Rabbit" to start playing while Elliot went slowly mad in his cell. Talk about melodrama."

I frankly prefer not to know much about the detectives, and this is the only thing I don't much like about SVU.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    3) Bill Compton, True Blood

"The worst thing that can happen to a TV show is for its romantic lead to make his big entrance and then sorta... whiff it. While we love love love True Blood, we're just not down with the fangs that Sookie Stackhouse is banging. Because he's short and whiny and prudish and a too-awkward mixture of gruff and tender. There's nothing dangerous about him, and isn't the implicit danger sort of the whole point of a vampire/human love story? A nation of TB fans seem to agree with us, judging by the collective sighs of relief (and moans of... well, relief) that went up when the far more intriguing Eric strode onto the screen. We get that Bill is central to the whole saga and mythos of the story, but does he have to be such a weenie all the time, especially when standing next to the (way taller) Eric?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.