main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, May 11, 2009.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I said most profitable, not biggest. I believe the top four teams for ticket sales are Toronto, Montreal, Philly, and Vancouver.

As to absolute value, I believe Toronto rules there, too. Unfortunately this is from 2006, but it gives you an idea: Team Valuations: Rank. You'll note that the Rangers are second, and the Caps dead last. Granted, this is before Ovechkin became such a draw.

2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Back to reality. Lose to Atlanta. A shame, just a shame.

3. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Finally! Beat the Sabres!

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Toronto now has the dubious distinction of being the team that hasn't won the Stanley Cup for the longest period of time...43 years.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They also don't have a pick in the first or second round of the upcoming draft.

6. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    The Kaberle Deal will net us a pick somewhere, wheather that's this draft or next years is a different matter.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    What did the Leafs get for him?

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    He hasn't been traded yet but it just seems inevitable. Then again the same thing was said last year and it didn't happen.

9. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    If it's not tomorrow night at the Draft then he'll be traded during the window in his contract that let's the Leafs trade him. If they don't they should re-sign him.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It's been inevitable for 3 years, just saying.

11. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I never said it was inevitable, but all I'm just saying is that if they do deal him, it will be in the window that his contract allows. They've been getting offers, and their listening. As to what they're being offered, who knows. If they don't trade him they should re-sign him.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Not with a no-trade clause they shouldn't, and that would probably be his price.

13. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I think that the age of the all out no-trade clause is over. To restrictive for teams and too much power to the player. Hopefully the Leafs can work something out at the draft or later.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Like last year, nothing major will happen until July 1st.

15. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I like the second round draft pick the Leafs got today. Bradley Ross is a big kid who had 68 points in 71 games and 203 penalty minutes. Definetly a Brian Burke type of player.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Brian Burke drafted the Sedin twins.

17. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    BB drafted the Sedins because they were best talent available in the draft. He couldn't pass that up. He does like skill too NM. [face_peace]

I like Colby Armstrong but think the Leafs over paid, 3 million for a 3rd liner is a bit much. Versteeg is a great pick up for the top six forwards. Paradis and Stalberg might be a good players later but KV is a good player now. Mike Brown gives us even more sand paper.

18. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    The Leafs keeping Kaberle isn't the worst thing ever. I mean I would liked another skilled forward, but I can live with this for now. Still not enough up front though.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    When the Canucks traded for Ballard, I was surprised by Leaf fans saying, basically, how dare they not try for Kaberle.

The reasons:

1. He's 32;
    2. He's got a big contract;
    3. He's got a no-trade clause; and most important
    4. Gillis loathes Burke.

20. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Yeah, you're probably right, Burke burnt that bridge a while ago. This seems like the roster we're going into camp with. If that's the case then we'll have problems scoring goals this year IMO. If the D and the goaltenders play amazing, then the team will be competitive but not much else. Another long year. :rolleyes:

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Burke goes over well with the media, but he's burned a *lot* of bridges.

But the Toronto media is the most cut-throat in English Canada (the Quebec media are in a league of their own). They campaigned for Burke to be hired and now they will campaign to have him fired.

22. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I wonder if there is an actual rift between Ron Wilson and Tomas Kaberle?[face_thinking] If so then Burke's hand might be forced and then the return won't be as good. Another year in Leaf land.

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    What did Burke imagine he would get for him?

24. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I think he imagined a "top six" forward in return, or maybe a bigger deal with someone else packaged for that "top six" forward. Either way it looks like he didn't get offered anything close to what he wanted.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    See, there's a problem; because the Toronto press talk Kaberle up, the fans don't realize that older, soft European defencemen are 1) fairly common; and 2) not that valuable. In the wake of Detroit's win, everyone's looking for tougher players (even Burke himself). Burke thinks if he says Kaberle is worth a lot, he will con someone into paying it (he's done that before). Other GMs appear to be getting wise. They want younger, tougher and cheaper. For example, Willie Mitchell has had some terrible concession problems, but despite that, teams were interested, including the Canucks (he went to LA). Because he's tough and good, it's worth a gamble, and he wouldn't cost too much.