main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Trade Federation as a villain in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by brosnanfan, Aug 12, 2015.

1. brosnanfan

brosnanfan Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2015
    Not nearly as much as the Galactic Empire, but I love the idea of the Trade Federation. A lot of people hate Episode I for being about "trade" and "disputes" and such, but if you think about it the concept of the Trade Federation makes a lot of sense. The Empire represents the evils of fascism and totalitarianism, while the TF embodies the evils of capitalism and greed.

Why does the TF employ only droids? Well odds are that at some point the Nemoidians made up the work force (or employed other aliens), and over time replaced them with droids since they require no pay. The Nemoidians are shown to be excessively greedy and out for themselves. Why all the battle droids and tanks? Because the TF wants to do business with anyone on their own terms, and its easy to strong-arm people with your own military. Plus the TF probably owns the companies that make the AATs, MTTs, and ships which would further lower the cost, and the Republic during this time has disarmed itself since the Sith are no longer a threat. Thus, as long as the TF maintains a military large enough to compete with the planets it deals with (such as Naboo, which is also very pacifist) the TF can do whatever it wants.

also comment here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-despicable-neimodians-or-the-hutts.50032931/

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I love the Trade Federation. I love, as you say, they embody the other extreme evil of the universe. Give anyone too much power and they will abuse it to try and gain more power. In a nebulous sense, the Trade Federation is no different than the Moffs or any other power hungry villain, but its interesting to see a villain that isn't representative of some fascist power.

3. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think the TF represents when capitalism fails more than the evil of it. However I like them as villans, a space East Indie Trading company, such a neat idea. The trade taxes are the Republic's attempt to curb the power of mega corporations like the TF. Just the existence of the TF is a major failing of the Republic.

4. Barada Nikto

Barada Nikto Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2015
    I like the concept of the TF. Its a spin on a common theme in sci fi where transnational corporations grow so big they begin to hold more sway than individual world governments. I'd have liked to have seen more development and details on who they were and how they retain their control.

New to the boards - been lurking a while.

5. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    The Trade Federation reminds me of the East India Company, which helped Great Britain take control of most of the India subcontinent. The East India Company also played a part in the opium trade in the Far East and the First and Second Opium Wars.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The ANH novelization dropped hints about greed, and the "organs of commerce" being involved in the rise of the Empire:

Another galaxy, another time.
    The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that ... it was the Republic.
    Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.
    So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.
    Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.
    Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

7. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I don't really care much for the Trade Federation. They can be interesting when they're a bit more fleshed out though, as proved by TCW. I actually liked "Sphere of Influence."

Would've been cool to see more of a backstory like Barada Nikto said.

AshiusX likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Editing Thread title to clarify and focus thread.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Welcome.

And what you said, it's happening, now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

Our rights are being eroded as we speak.

What the Star Wars prequel trilogy depicts is very, very real.

xezene, Ezon Pin and Andy Wylde like this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Cryogenic Please lets not bring this thread into a discussion about real world events.

Ezon Pin and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

You're right.

Heaven forbid a bunch of silly space movies should speak to our present condition in any way.

Paparazzo, xezene, QuangoFett and 2 others like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Just not the thread or forum for such discussion.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Message received.

Ezon Pin and Bazinga'd like this.
  14. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    I actually didn't mind the Trade Federation, whilst I can see the issues people have with them, I honestly thought they were decent lower level antagonists. I would have liked to have seen a bit more diversity from the TF and the Neimoidians in general, rather than having them all being one homogeneous unit with the same characteristics (not to mention the vaguely racist accents were a bit touch an go...), but other than that I thought they worked well as good pawns for Sidious, and hey, they have droideka, and droideka will always be badass in my eyes :p

15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Again with the perceived racism.
    I don't understand it. At all. When I hear the Neimoidians speak, I hear a Neimoidian accent. That's it.

I think the TF works splendidly as a major antagonistic force. Trade disputes aren't terribly exciting by themselves, but that isn't really the main issue in TPM, either. The problem is that the TF decides to invade Naboo. That is the conflict. That is the reason Amidala decides to fight back. It's a simple matter of liberating the inhabitants of Naboo from oppression.
    The trade dispute is just what's motivating the TF.

The way they're coaxed into offensive action by Sidious, who takes advantage of their greed, also foreshadows Anakin's fall from grace quite beautifully.

xezene, AshiusX, Andy Wylde and 3 others like this.
  16. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    I don't personally perceive it as racist, but I can understand why others do. It's a sort of stereotypical Asian accent, and I can understand how many fans, especially those of Asian origin, could be a bit offended that their only major source of representation in the Star Wars universe was a stereotyped voice given to an dodgy organisation of snivelling cowards. But like I said, I don't think this was intentional in any way, and it doesn't really both me.

I agree with you Lulu_Mars I found the TF invasion angle of TPM to be a simple yet effective premise, and we have the TF to thank for that :)

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Well the bad guys of the PT - Clone Wars was the Separatist and the TF were apart of the Separatist. In TPM there were only 2 visable villians to the story, Nute and Maul, both reported to Palpatine. In AOTC you had 3 villians, Zam, Jango and Dooku, only Dooku reported to Palpatine. Then in ROTS you have Dooku and Grevious then Vader, all 3 reporting to Palpatine. In fact the only villains not directly connected to Palpatine are the Fetts and Jabba. My question is who were all the Separatist?

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I definitely liked the Trade Federation. They reflect the fact that the galaxy hasn't seen the evils of the Empire yet. The Trade Federation seems so big and powerful when they're really just pawns of a far greater evil.
    I was thinking this too.

I wonder if Maul could have been given a stronger connection to the Trade Federation.

AshiusX, mes520 and Saga Explorer like this.
  19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The Trade Federation (and the other "corporate entities") were really just tools for Palpatine. They were so narrowly focused on their own immediate goals (as corporate entities so often are), that they were easy for Palpatine to bend to is will, especially through Count Dooku's conniving leadership of the separatists.

AshiusX likes this.
  20. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    The Trade Federation was very relatable in a different way. Through the value of money. Lucas had said in a couple of interviews before the PT came out that it was greed that caused the collapse of the Republic. He did an interview right before TPM was shown in theaters, that the PT will show the elements that will factor into the demise of the Republic.

21. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    One other reason that the Trade Federation works as villains is they give us a good glimpse into the state of the galaxy at their time. It shows how peaceful the galaxy is at the time if a mere corporation is able to cause such a conflict through the Galactic Senate.

22. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Yes, you don't have to pay the droids to do the dirty work but you still have to amount the funds to create the droids. I do think they're cool though. I love the Trade Federation Episode 1.

They aren't a galactic threat, but they flexed their (droid) muscle when they occupied Naboo. And you're right, they do sum up what greed is about. The cowardly Nute Gunray basking in his wealth & glory while he deprives a planet of trade.

23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The Trade Federation are a cool sub enemy of the SW Saga. I wish we got to see more Nemodian soldiers but I love the fact, unlike awful PT rewrites, that the villains in Episode I are cartoon evil clones, or genocidal Mandalorians. Just a corrupt business empire trying to blockade a planet from the Republic. Shows a massive contrast compared to the Evil Empire vs The Heroic Rebellion. It's like you are actually swing the Golden Age of the Republic where issues weren't so clear cut and the galaxy ran on a fair system, not a tyrannical dictatorship.

QuangoFett likes this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm okay with the Trade Federation, the cowardly businessman angle is unique. My only problem with them is their not terribly interesting or threatening IMO.

Avnar and DrDre like this.
  25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm a capitalist so u'd think I'd love the TF then the Seps rite? WRONG! I'm a bigger patriot! I love the OR & the GE. One of my favorite scenes in the saga was Anikin slaughtering the Sep leaders!