main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Trade Federation should have known Sidious was Palpatine

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Master Endz-One, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    After watching TPM the scene where the TF talking was to Sidious, The Trade should have known Sidious and Palpatine was the same person, between Sidious's and the part of his face they saw and his voice.

What are your thoughts ?

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, I suppose if they could recognise Sidious' chin they'd be onto a winner.

He does slightly change his tone of voice in the Sidious role when talking to his underlings. Perhaps being a hologram further obscures his identity, and it's interesting how he never appears in person to any of his non-Sith underlings.

3. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    He shows half his face and speaks in a sinister tone, but it's still his own voice and the TF see him close enough in the Senate. When Palpatine was with Amidala in the Senate during the no confidence vote the TF were very close to him. They also should have been fairly confident of his power in Politics, when he ordered the TF to invade Naboo and said he will make it legal.

I wonder did they think Dooku was a Sith or just a Jedi who was no longer in the Order ?

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    They had little reason to think it could be him. From their point of view, Sidious told them to invade Naboo, while Palpatine attacked them in the senate for this move. Someone wouldn't act against his own interests like that.

As for looking and sounding like him, they never saw more than the lower bit of his head, and plenty of people can have similar looking facial features. His voice also sounded different depending on who he was talking to. Seeing how the two characters hold fundamentally opposed views, the whole idea that they could be the same person probably wouldn't even come to their mind.
    That also doesn't take into consideration that some alien species may not be able to recognize humans in the same way as their own species. Something foreign may look all the same to them, thus making it harder to connect people who actually look similar, even if that sounds a bit like a racial stereotype.

5. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

All of you guys make excellent points. I guess it's just me, after rewatching TPM and AOTC wondering how could they not know.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It has nothing to do with that. Sidious being able to disguise himself simply by drawing a cloak up over the top of his face is nothing more than a pulpy convention, no different than Superman putting on a pair of glasses and becoming Clark Kent.

boonjj, oierem and Darthman92 like this.
  7. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The casual Star Wars fans I saw TPM with did not know Palpatine was Sidious. I made the connection simply because I had my Emperor "Palpatine" figure as a kid.

I recall reading these forums right before Revenge of the Sith and there were theories that Sidious was a clone (or the Senator was the clone of Sidious).

So I don't really have a problem with the Trade Federation not putting them together as the same person. Even if they thought it possible, they probably dismissed it as crazy conspiracy thoughts.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Vader should have taken out his Lightsaber and start cutting off Leia' limbs one by one until he got the location of the Rebel base.

The point being this is not how the movies work.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is a difference between an explanation for why things were done in a certain way and and explanation about how stuff works inside the fictional universe. One has nothing to do with the other.

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    This. It's highly possible they held so little respect for humans that to them, all humans looked the same.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  11. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    There is a Core World( Mostly Human ) division with the Mid and Outer Rim in the Republic. It gets a lot worse with the Empire. I could see the TF looking at all humans the same.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    You have to remember that Palpatine disguised his upper arms and shoulders.
    [​IMG]

MarcJordan and Seagoat like this.
  14. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The whole point is the perception of who they think the person is and not some random similarities between two random persons. The whole idea of Supeman is that the people see in him superhero in a cap who can do everything, not some weird nerd who needs glasses and who needs to work (generally). The same with every protagonist/antagonist: could he/she be connected with a potential alter ego?
    Let see the case of TF. They are not the viewers. What they know for sure is that Sidious wants power. How can he be Palpatine as Palpatine is already in the power? Also, TF are greedy and they look from their point of view: if they had this advantage (to be Sith lord on the top of the Republic) they would use that immediately, i.e. reveal themselves. So from their point of view Sidious cannot be Palpatine.

Kronin likes this.
  15. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    They may have known this all along, but just didn't care. As long as he gets them the revenge, money and power they want, who cares what he wants to call himself? It wasn't until they realized just how far his ambitions went that they started to worry, and even then they may have figured they could outwit or overpower him. They weren't all that smart.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    And much like Christopher Reeve, Ian McDiarmid is such a good actor that you still believe that the disguise can work.

After all, it did fool people.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    He's been working out with Hanz and Franz.

[​IMG]

19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm not sure if Nute Gunray ever had seen Senator Palpatine or heard his voice. Even if he had, I don't think he'd connect a politician trying to protect his homeworld with a Sith Lord trying to invade it.
    On the other hand, he'd probably wonder how Sidious could "make it legal".

About Dooku, I think the Separatist leaders knew he was a former Jedi, buti don't know how much they knew about his connections to Sidious. Gunray had to be aware that Sidious was still behind the scenes, judging by the scene in ROTS just before Anakin murdered the separatists.

Darthman92 likes this.
  20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It was most likely interpreted as meaning "I'll manipulate the politicians from the shadows"

Which, in a way, is exactly what he did

That's the brilliance of it. Sidious had little reason to care about the outcome of the blockade other than to make people lose confidence in the system as it was, garner sympathy for Naboo, and put himself forth as a candidate for replacement chancellor. Once he was in power, it made little difference to him

The question then became "How quickly can a galactic war be incited?", which did slightly depend on the outcome but, again, ultimately didn't really matter too much

21. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    This criticism seems to be reaching don't you think?
    It's a fantasy space-opera, it isn't real. I have to seriously force myself to notice, for Palpatine's double-identity with the TF, to even be a problem.