main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'll definitely be getting Dark Times–aside from KOTOR and Invasion, it's the only series that I like so much that I actually have to own it instead of just reading it from the library. I have KOTOR Vol. 1, and I'm just waiting for an announcement of an Invasion Omnibus (hopefully including Equals and Opposites?) before I decide whether or not to just get the TPBs.

spicer likes this.
  2. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

just u lol.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, we might know the real answer soon as the issue's out I think next week.

4. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013

I dont get why they dont have a Tales Omnibus book announced yet. there NEEDS to be a tales omnibus, i mean seriously whats next after Dark Times? almost everything is an omnibus form except Legacy and Crimson Empire.

spicer likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I hope Dass doesn't die. [face_praying]

spicer likes this.
  6. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    Boromir's Fan, where do you get ur news from? i just check the Dark Horse website all the time.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Solicits get posted at sites like CBR and Newsarama Django, that's where we're grabbing the info from.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Soon know the answer to that too. However the big arc ends, I want it to conclude - I don't want another case of what happened with Invasion....

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. NO cliffhangers!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013

gotcha ill def check that out. when boromirs fan announced kotor volume 3, i just couldnt believe the cover looked like that but as soon as i checked the Dark Horse website it has the same cover.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Strange as it'll sound, the company sites aren't always the most up-to-date!

12. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Dear god I'm gonna have to ignore this forum when the DT issue comes out..... I really do not want to be spoiled.

I do obsessively check for new solicits. Once I find out if DH keeps the license or not I will cool it, but I keep looking every month for a sign.

The Force Wars #5 preview doesn't scream "this is the end". Neither do the trade for DT volume 7.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Decided to grab a proper copy of this on the cheap....

X-Wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair

As a nice little bonus, this has an introduction by Stan Sakai, plus at the back there's character sketches by Buikovic and the covers from the original issues! A great little set of extras!

The story is 4 issues of awesome - we get the introduction of Mirax and Booster, via flashback to Wedge's past, which in turn links to Loka Hask, now an Imperial Interdictor captain. It even starts off with a bang, with a convoy under Imperial attack. The way that attack is foiled is both thrilling and logical, which makes i all the more satisfying. The idea of there being an academic faction called the Anti-Endor Association is quite a wry one, given how academia tends to operate. And then there's the Ghost Jedi....

On top of this, the theme of the legacy of the past recurs time and again - in the form of Wedge's adversary, Loka Hask; in the form of Elscol's husband's death; what the Empire did with the researching of the university in using it to create the Death Star and how people respond to it. Some rise above it, some pursue vengeance, some are crushed. And it works due to the wondrous art, which is adept at depicting everything the script throws in - including a highly amusing hospital escape!

Reading this time around also gave it a far greater emotional punch than before as well. However you pursue getting a copy - cheap TPB, Omnibus, digital, whatever the format - you need this story in your SW collection.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So I got yet another email from Amazon UK basically saying they didn't know when they'd get Wild Space 2. I've cancelled the order with them and put it in at Amazon.com. Yeah, I'll have to pay shipping on it (and another book not available on the UK site) but at least they have it in stock.

15. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013

One day, I plan on getting all 3 Volumes of this series. the very first omnibus was this series surprisingly. i have so many omnibus and plan on getting so many more, I dont think I can even get them now lol.

"One omnibus to rule them all"

spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Be aware Django, the quality of the series is quite variable, with some real lows to match the highs!

17. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    I recently posted a new vid to give you a first look at KOTOR Omnibus Volume 2. I recieved my copy 1-2 days ago and have been absolutely loving it. A must buy at Amazon.

18. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    Outside of solicitations have we heard anything about upcoming Omnibuses? I remember Dark Horse mentioning at a panel that the Newspaper strips were confirmed for Omnibus treatment but who knows how long formatting those will take. Has there been anymore stuff to be confirmed for collection or even stuff that they've said they can't collect?

(Since the other Omnibus thread is dead, I assume this would be the best place to post this.)

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubt it'd take long at all, as the re-formatting and sequencing revisions were done as part of the work for the original issues.

If they issue the Goodwin-Williamson run in an Omnibus, you should buy it!

20. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012

Absolutelty dude Iv'e been buying every Omnibus day one since Other Sons Of Tatooine!
    But on formatting, If they were to collect the entire strip run unabridged (which after the way they did the Marvel UK stuff seems to be the route they're going for) they'll have to start from scratch. If I remember correctly the Classic Star Wars trades straight up edited many of the strips on top of omitting extraneous material so they can't just resize the formatting they had in the old trades. It won't take too long but it'll certainly take more time then most other omnibuses

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, they did so the material flowed better in a 22-page monthly comic, colored it and then printed it as 20-issue series. That in turn was collected into 3 trades which I'd expect to be combined into 1 omnibus - I wouldn't expect them to be doing anything other than this. The only changes to formatting I've ever seen in terms of trade-Omnibus is paper size, as Omnibus is a little smaller but that's it.

Unless they're planning on an unabridged, uncoloured version but DHC had good reason for making the changes they did on the first run.

22. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    I figure if they didn't cut out the recap panels and extraneous stuff from the Marvel UK stories for Omnibus release they'll probably do the same for the Newspaper strips. But In this case since there is such a massive difference between the originals and the Dark Horse edit I figure they might do something like a hardcover collectors type deal for the unabridged strips and then collect the Dark Horse coloured edits in a normal omnibus.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't really see that happening, but this is all hypothetical for now at any rate.....

jaoblias likes this.
  24. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    Speaking of hypothetical, I REALLY hope the reason Dark Horse hasn't collected Tales yet is because they're putting each individual story in chronological order. Its the only possible reason why they haven't omnibused it yet... right?

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd be sceptical of that! The Tales TPBs are big by themselves! You'd need at least 3 Omnibuses to collect the 6 volumes due to their size.

The bigger problem is they may fear they wouldn't sell due to not being deemed as canon, thus no Omnibus version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.