main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll probably be buying the Legacy hardcovers. I like the big collections a lot, and I'll probably be getting to Legacy (finally) in the coming months.

2. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Just bought and read the entire series of Legacy, will not be buying these hardcovers, at least not in the near future.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The size of this hardcover looks to the same as the Omnibuses! Plus, the size of the books are better with hardback binding too.

I would expect Legacy to probably be 3-4 volumes in total in this new format.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmm... I have the single issues... but only ever bought the first TPB... hmm...

I've been meaning to get the rest, but maybe this might be a better option.

For some reason, though, a floppy soft cover like a normal TPB just feels more appropriate for a medium like comics, but a hard jacket obviously has more lifespan in it, so... hmm... decisions.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I hear many comic books fans say that, but I find I actually really love the oversized editions. Maybe I just haven't been into it long enough, but I really like to get as much story as possible in one package.

On the other hand, I really dislike buying single issues. The ads man, the ads [face_hypnotized]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I was wondering if Legacy and Kotor might get the omnibus treatment. In the end I've decided to buy the Legacy TPBs because I can't wait. Once I've got Legacy, I'll hunt down Kotor as well.

8. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm going to do the exact opposite and wait til the KOTOR hardcovers come out, and just keep my Legacy trades.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One important point: The hardcovers mentioned so far - Legacy, CE, DE - are not oversized!

The term oversized is in relation to the standard comic page size, in relation to that the omnibuses and hardcovers that measure 6" by "9 are actually undersized! People tend to not object to the trade-off as these volumes tend to be 300-400+ pages, but be clear on what you're contemplating buying!

I would consider upgrading to oversized Legacy hardbacks, but that isn't on the cards!

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've got the CE trilogy compilation, so I might pull that out and decide if I'd want more like it.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I didn't even know "oversized" was an official comic term; I just use it to mean "really freaking huge".

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, then you're talking Absolute-size ie. twice the normal comic page size!

This stuff doesn't really matter all that much until you start contemplating spending $30-50 or £25-45 on 1 book, then it really does matter!

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Looking at my CE trilogy, I think I'm leaning back toward just finishing off my TPB collection.

The slightly smaller page size doesn't really bother me as it's not really noticeable, but they're quite chunky, so I'm unsure about longevity if you're constantly unfolding the spine all the way to flatten the pages and take in the whole artwork. Prose obviously has margins, but comic pages sometimes go right to the edges, which makes being a stiff hardcover something I'm unsure about.

I admit I've always been indifferent toward Omnibuses as well, as I like my old TOTJ trades and sometimes just want to read a particular volume rather than simply "pages X to Y" of an Omnibus, but... I do like the inclusion of things I didn't even know existed, like the Bounty Hunters: Kenix Kil story, though. (Not that Legacy has anything uncollected of that nature that would be included.)

Decisions, decisions...

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Kenix Kil story was in a TPB called SW: Bounty Hunters. You can see it here on Amazon UK. It was a pretty good tpb if you're a bounty hunter fan..

15. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013
    Best part is the cover by Doug Wheatley, which I believe was his first Star Wars art.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that was a pretty good cover..

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This might be of help to people navigating the trades sizing minefield:

SW Omnibus size: 8.9 x 6 x 1.2 inches / 22.8 x 15.2 x 2.2 cm
    CE HC: 9.1 x 6.1 x 1.7 inches / 23.1 x 15.5 x 3 cm 9 (likely size of the Legacy Vol 1 hardback)
    Standard TPB: 10.1 x 6.6 x 0.4 inches / 25.6 x 16.4 x 0.8 cm
    Oversized: 11.7 x 7.7 x 2.7 inches / 29.7 x 19.6 x 6.9 cm - this is the size of the big Luke Skywalker: Last Hope of the Galaxy book
    DHC Library Edition: 9 x 1.2 x 12 inches / 22.9 x 3 x 30.5 cm - no SW editions exist in this format which is DHC's Omnibus format.

Amazon gives some odd sizes that don't look right, so, basically it boils down to:

22-23cm - Undersized, less than standard comic size
    25-26cm: Standard comic size
    28-29cm: Oversized
    30-32cm: Deluxe super-sized hardback!

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have yet to find the Clone Wars Volume 3 Omnibus at any of the Barnes & Nobles near me. I have other Omnibus' to collect but I'm starting to get annoyed.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Is Amazon or Book Depository not an option for you FS?

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Going in person to a store has been my MO so no I haven't gotten around to using Amazon or Book Depository. What is Book Depository?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    www.bookdepository.co.uk - it uses IP scan software so will probably default to .com for you, they do worldwide free shipping but the price of the item does vary depending on your IP location.

They're owned by Amazon but are separate in operational terms, so no Amazon pre-order guarantee for instance and they take pre-order payments at point of order for instance! But, I've often grabbed items that Amazon don't offer or at better price from BD. Some people haven't had as good an experience, but for me they've always been excellent.

Benefit of buying trades online is discounts in the 30-45% off range!

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you, I'll have to look into it then.

23. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    I've been using bookdepository for more than a year now and I'm happy with the service. Plus you don't have to pay for shipping. I haven't compared their comics (without shipping) to Amazon (with shipping) to see if the price is the lower or not but for books they are definetly worth it. It takes something like 2 max 3 weeks for the order to arrive (depends on the post office as well) and they are sent individually - so if you've bought 10 books, get ready to pick up 10 packages.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It does exist - mine is in the 'SW comic to-read' pile. I got mine from Amazon UK. My local Waterstones (UK) is haphazard about carrying SW TPBs.

25. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.