main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Hmm, torn. I've been collecting the comics in the omnibus series, and honestly, I'd prefer continuity and prefer to wait and get Legacy (and Crimson Empire) in the same format. At least this has a similarity of size (both in dimensions and content), but I wish I knew if they were still planning to omnibus Legacy, if they are but this collection means delaying it for years, or if this is intended instead of an omnibus edition. TORN.

Lugija likes this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have the exact same problem. If these were normal Omnibuses, I'd buy them without thinking. But now... If they go out of print like The Thrawn Trilogy already has, and then there's no softcover coming, that would not be cool.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the dark side of trades! My advice would be to do this: Buy the hardbacks for these reasons:

1. They are practically the same size as Omnibuses but in hardback
    2. Chances are the price you pay now, for a hardback Omnibus-type collection, will likely be the same or cheaper as a future Omnibus paperback due to trade prices always going up, not down.

Lugija likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So, I finally decided to finish my KOTOR trade collection... and wow, just wow. I never realised how many of the dang things there were :p

I then went and looked at my shelves and cross checked what I have with what I don't have... and more wow. Here I was thinking my collection was extensive! This has subsequently led me to decide that I'll just go with the Legacy hardback collection after all. I was expecting the second hand market to be cheaper like it is with the novels, but some of the volumes are just outrageously expensive compared to the others that I've decided that extra inch of TPB page size isn't worth it.

I am now also going to make a habit of buying trades when they come out, not waiting years. :p

*makes a note to himself that procrastination is bad*

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, yeah, once a trade goes out of print there's all manner of merchant chicanery in whacking the price up!

What most of them fail to realise is there is a vast difference between the price they've set and what people will actually pay, up to 3-4 times trade price in my experience for an out-of-print book.

6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed. There's one guy selling Legacy: Claws of the Dragon for £100! £100!

Seriously. Who the heck would ever pay that? :eek:

If I was that desperate, I'd just get it from TFAW or something, as I'm sure they'd have it in stock.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've had people pay up to £30 for a trade on Amazon, but that's the limit so far. Of course, everyone else was flogging it for £100+!

8. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've paid around 12-13 euro for a TPB on bookdepository. Even so Legacy and KOTOR will not be cheap to collect. Add Invasion and the Clone Wars Omnibuses ........ I really should have gotten the trades when they came out (only I didn't have a job back then so there was that).

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a 999,999-2 chance Zorr that someone might, just might, in the fever of collector mentality pay that, simply because they can't get it anywhere else cheaper and they got to have it! Highest I ever paid for a book was £96 for a copy of Absolute Authority Volume 1 - it has not been reprinted and can be sold for an insane amount of money, like £300.

This is my one eternal bugbear with TPBs, knowing when they're going to go out of print is akin to playing roulette - you really cannot know and there's no surefire way to predict it. Practically, to guarantee getting a set, buying as they come out is the only way but that assumes people know when things are coming out. TPBs are, in this respect, not consumer-friendly! You missed it? Too bad, we're not reprinting as not enough people bought it the first time round!

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wrong topic for this but deals with things going out of print. I managed to start collecting some of the YJK books and the stores near me had the last few but by the time I made an effort to collect them they were gone.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Or they could just type "Knights of the Old Republic Vindication Buy" into Google and instantly find dozens of places selling it for £20 or less. :p

If nothing else, I've now realised I definitely should get hold of Invasion and Dark Times sooner rather than later, as those aren't Omnibused and I'd probably reread things more if I didn't just have them in single issues.

I'm also trying to decide whether to get hold of the few Rogue Squadron trades I lack or just go with the Omnibus for those... but I think I'm leaning toward Omnibus for those, as I think the first few issues never got republished as a TPB?

Don't think I care about getting those crappy Clone Wars comics in trade form though, as I disliked reading them the first time.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Force Smuggler

I know some of the YJK novels were reprinted in Omnibus editions but I don't know if they all were. The two I have are Jedi Shadow and Jedi Sunrise.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have those two and am pretty certain that there are a couple more. To Amazon I guess

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tell me which XWRS ones you're lacking and I'll tell you if it's worth getting 'em.

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If I recall right, I think the ones I have are all the later volumes, and that I'm missing either the first three or first four.

I was amazed when I checked my bookshelves over the weekend to discover I only ever bought the first volume of Rebellion too! I've got all of Empire, but then seem to have just switched to monthlies and never got the rest... which makes my shelf look lonely. [face_sigh]

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I missed out completely on XWRS so got the Omnibuses.

The high point of the early stories is The Phantom Affair. Operation Tattooine is all right, but Phantom Affair is A-grade fun. It's also the last art of Edvin Biuković (1969-1999)! And it really shows what was lost in his passing.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I didn't realise how many Omnibuses they'd released either until yesterday. I thought there were only like a dozen or so... then I discover there's nearly three times that. :p

Part of me is very close to getting those at some point, but I've always kept my books and comics together in chronological order, which is what's always made the Omnibuses often "mixed" anthologies hold less appeal to me. But after the past four years collecting monthlies, I've realised that I'm missing out on all the one-shots of yesteryear.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. 32 of them probably counting ones that are going to be coming out. If I could go back in time I'd warn my past self to get them ASAP. I have 4 and hope to get up to 10 total before going online

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I started buying them two and a half years ago, just before they started to come out bi-monthly. If I had to start now I can see myself saying "I'm going to university, and I can't eat these" and giving up. But now that I already have every softcover Omnibus and Infinities is pre-ordered...

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    My annoyance is I've got all these unfinished TPB collections, but also want the special singles in the Omnibuses, but don't like having my shelves stopping on things like KOTOR Vol. 2. :p

For the time being, I think I'll just get KOTOR, Dark Times and Invasion, then decide after that what way to handle Legacy and the older stuff. I've got all of TOTJ and Clone Wars, and don't think there's anything special in their Omnibuses...?

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say Wookiepedia it. That's what I do to see what has what.

22. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Man, I just looked it up and saw they have 30 omnibuses! :eek:

I hope they get to the more recent things before they lose the license like Dark Times, Invasion, Legacy, KOTOR (which I'm on edge about. I have 1-2 trades and 13-35 singles (though missing around 5 and going to see what the omnibus costs and if it's worth it to buy the singles I'm missing plus the trades or just the whole omnibus). Also, I would LOVE a Dark Empire Omnibus (Which I'm very surprised hasn't been collected yet! It's the perfect size and it's an essential!)

I wonder if Dark Horse can make a deal to extend it for one more year to provide a COMPLETE omnibus of ALL the Star Wars comics as well as give each series a final miniseries to wrap it up. But only if Marvel has to get the license.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Empire-Trilogy-Horse/dp/1595826122/ref=cm_lmf_tit_29
    Here's your Dark Empire Omnibus

24. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    :eek:[face_hypnotized]^:)^

I forgot they also did those hardcovers. Time to see what else they have! :D

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Thrawn, Dark Empire and Crimson Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.