main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tradgedy of Darth Plagueis and the possibility of history repeating.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sith_Dreamer, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Dreamer

Sith_Dreamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    After seeing ROTS now, 3 times, and being a believer that Palpatine was telling the truth about Plagueis and his manipulation of the Force, is it possible, as with many things in the saga, this was a premonition of something to come as well?

For example, Palpatine in ROTJ tells Luke to strike him down, knowing full well Vader will protect him, and hopefully lose, so as to turn Luke to the dark side. However, in the end PAlpatine was ultimately defeated, and lost his power, because of his overconfidence. Just as Plagueis, a man afraid of losing a power to save everyone, lost his power because he couldn't save his self. Also, Plagueis was killed by his own apprentice because of his power. Vader killed him, but for different reasons.

As with other future reoccurences, such as Anakin's arm loss to Dooku/ Luke's arm to Vader, was this another premonition of the future to come?

2. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I posted something like this a page or so back.

I reckon that pre-Vader suit, Palpatine was a committed Sith and knew/accepted that one day Vader would surpass him and he'd either have to step aside or die. Once he's in the suit, we know Vader is dramatically weaker, and I believe that in the intervening 20 years Palpatine has become comfortable in his roles as Emperor and Sith Master. Time has made him repeat Plagueis mistake.

I also believe that Palpatine was telling the truth about Plagueis. Firstly because lies are much easier to tell if they bear at least some resemblence to the truth, and secondly because he turns his face slightly away from Anakin and has a nostalgic look in his eyes and a slight grin on his face - to me he's remembering the kill.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Palpatine even licks his lips in satisfaction remembering when he killed Darth Plagueis.

4. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    that joyful, arrogent look was one of the few victories you get in this film. Being able to laugh at him like. IT IS funny ISNT IT??!!

5. Techno-Union-Elite

Techno-Union-Elite Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2005
    Haha I watched ROTJ today after watching ROTS with my sister and she noticed the exact same thing (about the recurrence of apprentice killing master and overconfidence). I can't believe that I didn't catch it myself.

Yeah it was definitely interesting. But I'm too tired right now to go into detail about it -_-.

6. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Yes, history was repeating itself. The emperor seemed to have forgotten though... being maybe too comfortable or whatever, how much Vader's relations meant to him. How much he wanted to save Padme, he wouldn't have allowed the emperor to kill Luke.

Something I thought was that the emperor encouraged Luke to kill his father. This was similiar to how Palpatine encouraged Vader to kill Tyranus (who was ironically also his former apprentice), and afterwards Anikan was quickly becoming attracted to the Dark Side. In which case, Luke I don't think would have killed him if he was just any Sith in that position, let alone his father. But if he had, its easy to picture Luke turning to the Dark Side, with the emperor saying "you have done a great deed." or whatever.

I suspect that the Sith idea of murder the master once you outdo him would have gone back all the way back to Darth Bane, as it was the reason they lost the first way I thought.

7. Master_Service

Master_Service Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    I agree with the statement that history is repeating itself with the tradgedy of Darth Plagueis in relation to Palpatine and Vader. However, have none of you considered that as Anakin said to Palpatine in ROTS 'The Sith think only of themselves'. This would mean that as the apprentice grows in power, he will only want to become the strongest member of the order, even if it involves killing his/her own master.
    However, I do not agree with Sith_Dreamer's suggestion that this fable is true. Palpatine was an experienced master of the dark side and clearly was able to see through Anakin's clouded and troubled mind. Therfore, I think that the Emperor merely maniupulated the young Jedi's tust in him. This forced Anakin into a position upon hearing this tale where he would instictively want to learn such power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.