main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Trailer Park: The Three Stooges (2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not much else to say- they basically realized how godawful the first movie was and have done the only sensible thing in an effort to salvage the perfect casting of Parks as Snake Eyes that was almost entirely ruined by the first film: kill off everyone else and add The Rock, Bruce Willis and a ton of ninjas. :D

Oh, and lest we not forget they removed the stupid molded mouth on Snake Eyes and have given Cobra Commander a ****ing proper ***damn mirror mask.

So, a shockingly good trailer for a sequel to a shockingly terrible movie (one that looked awful even in it's previews). It actually looks and feels like GI Joe. They may just yet be able to salvage the film franchise and not waste the source material's potential afterall.

The Bruce Willis tag didn't feel like the trailer was building up to it to me- it just felt like a tag. I thought the ninjas sequence was the clear crescendo they built to (thus making sure to show Jinx, Storm Shadow, etc).

I think it was more about him having to play both a nice guy-president and the eventual Zartan posing as the president.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    From G.I. Joe we go to a trailer for a movie a few people might buy a ticket for.

Starring Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman,
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy, among others.

Directed by Christopher Nolan.

The Dark Knight Rises(2012)

Win or Fail?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I actually saw this one in theaters and, well, it does nothing for me. I'll probably see it, but I don't particularly feel any need to.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This one works for me, but not entirely. It's a huge improvement over the first teaser (which was muddled by unintelligible dialogue and a very, very weak, seemingly-incomplete, final moment/shot). You get a very real sense of the epic "city at war" vibe it's portraying, Bane's great "When Gotham is in Ashes, you have my permission to die." line (and I love the voice there too- threatening yet avoids being a copy of something familiar like Vader) and it actually escalates to that shot of the camo-tumbler being chased by Bat's hoverjet.

Overall, it succeeds in conveying an unsettling feel in the viewer that is memorable, but doesn't inspire a traditional "OMG I have to see it now" trailer excitement.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

For me, the most interesting thing in the trailer was the line Michael Caine had.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno, his accent came across a bit goofier/over the top than it usually is. Unless that's him saying "Rise." and thats what you're referring to?

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I saw this on the IMAX screen when I caught Ghost Protocol over the weekend. It doesn't do a whole lot for me. I'm surprised by the whole "we are the 99%" vibe to Hathaway's speech; I doubt the movie as a whole will have a serious slant in that direction though. Bane does not look particularly great to me; I don't care for his giant coat or whatever that is. Hathaway actually looks pretty good; she appears muted, more in keeping with the tone of Nolan's films so far. I missed the glimpse of JGL on the big screen it was so fast, but I caught it this time. It doesn't blow me away or anything, but I still trust Nolan and I appreciate that he didn't really tell me much about the movie: time has passed (we know how much from other comments Nolan has made), Gotham is in a period of peace and prosperity, Gordon is on the way out, Batman is probably retired, "there's a storm coming," Bane appears to have engineered something rather like the Arkham release that he did in Knightfall, he's aiming to take Gotham down and . . . that's about all. I dig that. Not a great trailer, but I appreciate that it isn't a tell-all and I'm still going to see the movie.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I've got my own little theory about how the film will play out, based on the trailer, but I won't spoil anyone. :p

I liked it. Brought alot of spoilers that had previously led nowhere to something approaching a cohesive whole, and had some nifty scenes. Nowhere near as good as any of the trailers for the prequels, but those were a class act (and my personal bar for good trailers) and this was decent.

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's Tom Conti.

The trailer meanders until the "...permission to die." line leads straight into the sizzle reel with the chanting (which was hugely effective in the prologue). Which is terrific. Not as good as the first theatrical trailer for The Dark Knight, but then that was one of the all-time great modern trailers.

The great thing is that it gives you an idea of what the film will be like with no idea of what will actually happen in the film. I remember that one of the masterstrokes of The Dark Knight's marketing campaign is that next to nothing from the final act was used in any of the materials released before the film. Everything that happens after Gotham General is destroyed was completely unseen.

But even if the trailer itself isn't great, the film itself looks superb. Photographically and in terms of scale, which somehow looks larger again than The Dark Knight. Apparently two key influences on the film are A Tale of Two Cities and Prince of the City, which is very intriguing. One shot in particular is almost lifted straight out of Prince of the City.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I was referring to when Caine said,

"I swore to them I would protect you. And I haven't."

I thought it was powerfully delivered.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Not entirely. There's the final shot of the film, "And here . . . we . . . go!", the Two-Face in the car glimpse, and Gordon destroying the Batsignal. Though only the latter two have any real giveaway potential, and Two-Face shouldn't be anything surprising. But overall, yeah, you really have no idea of the narrative or glimpse into the final act of the film.

As for this trailer, I think we have even less of a glimpse into the narrative here. We can tell that Bane is out to bring Gotham to its knees, and only leaks and casting lets you put that together to know that it's probably on behalf of the League of Shadows. Batman has been out of commission a while, Catwoman appears to resent the upper crust of Gotham but we have no idea what her game is, and pretty much all the other shots raise more questions than they answer. In terms of the trailer craft, it's clunky, but it performs the real goal of getting me excited and looking forward to the film admirably. Even if I am distracted by Hines Ward's Hines Wardness.

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Batman sitting atop his Batpod surveying the... soundscape was also in a TV spot, as well as Maroni's car flipping but yeah, you know what I mean. They were all really brief snippets. In addition to that, the whole city hunting for Reese wasn't revealed either, which was major. And even though a lot of Inception was revealed, it was how it was all pieced together that was the joy of it.

Honestly, I don't care that the trailer isn't exactly some stroke of genius, it's the questions are raised that matters. Rather than most films where you can pretty much apply genre convention and figure out precisely what will happen. To whom.

More importantly, the film looks like it will very much be continuing Nolan's thematic through line of the value and morality of lies which he's been doing since The Prestige. Characters actually being punished for their lies is disturbingly scarce in Hollywood, and that is perhaps the most tantalizing aspect of this whole piece.

That and the Batplane.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that struck me too, but I think it'll mostly be coincidence as the script was most likely locked long before OWS began (let alone became the enduring movement it evolved into), and the majority of filming was done before that began as well.

It'll probably be more about her justifying her role within the events of the film as (presumably) a thief than commentary on any "99%" issues- though I suppose that brief overlap could work it's way into the film in a minor way, but it'd have to be something even less developed than the Patriot Act/surveillance/big brother stuff in TDK.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Agreeing with 2nd Quest that it's a coincidence: there's a lot of Year One and Long Halloween influence in Begins and TDK, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Catwoman's angle was taking down the system that screwed her. Especially since that was her angle in those books.:p

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I liked the trailer but I will admit a lot of it was underwhelming because it was so simplistic. I really disagree though about Bane being a reason for it being underwhelming. I think Hardy and his voice are awesome. I guess I think I needed to see more of what happened to Batman and Gordon to really get into it but I'm glad Nolan is being hush hush in a way.

Great trailer? I'd say very good instead.

16. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I like the first teaser a lot more now that I've seen it with subtitles, it's on youtube. The second one is just okay for me, are the women in these Nolan batmans miscast? I prefer Katie Holmes in the first one to Maggie and Anne in the sequels. I'm not saying she was spectacular but I wasn't annoyed by her like I was the other ladies.

I don't see the big deal with a bunch of prisoners walking out chanting and carrying guns lol, it's nothing new. Here's hoping this movie does good though.

And I too found Alfred's line to be powerful, and the best part of the whole trailer.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Nolan gets full credit for staying true to the recent film history of the franchise, since miscasting Catwoman is a time-honored tradition, now stretching across at least three movies. And Anne Hathaway seems like an authentic effort to make the worst possible choice, with the possible exception of Miley Cyrus. Hathaway is such an unfortunately underwhelming bad girl. Anyone see Havoc? I think Miranda Cosgrove or maybe Jennifer Aniston could have competed as bad Catwomen. Claire Danes? I know, Katherine Heigl. No wait: Zooey Deschanel.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Who would you cast, Jabba?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Oprah Winfrey or Carrie Fisher.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing that did strike me odd about the trailer's events- we're seeing what is presumably a breakout at Arkham there with the prisoners and the guns. Isn't that basically repeating what happened in Begins?

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Kind of. I'm betting we'll get a full-on replay of Batman being forced to recapture literally all of them, like in Knightfall; that happened after the fact in Begins and TBH, the Arkham breakout in Begins was kind of minor in terms of what was going on around it.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I think that's a Blackgate (or whatever it's called) breakout. If it was Arkham, you wouldn't have an army - there'd just be rampaging nutters, like in Begins. Bane wants an army, so he goes to the vanilla gaol.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Besides the Alfred line, I wasn't crazy about the trailer. I'll give Christopher Nolan the benefit of the doubt (and I don't fault him for the Hathaway casting--yet.) Should be epic.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes and no- it was actually the bigger of the two things since it was the major distraction that allowed the real plan to happen. SO, while the real plan was a greater threat, it was seemingly minor by comparison that it needed a larger diversion to implement.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Lots of great trailers are playing right now with all the big Christmas movies coming out.

Here's a compilation of five of the biggest of them:

The Alien Prequel
    Ridley Scott's Prometheus(2012)

Starring Tom Hardy, Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon
    Spy vs. Spy(2012)

Liam Neeson and Taylor Kitsch star in this one
    Battleship(2012)

Sacha Baron Cohen stars in this one, with a cameo by Barack Obama
    The Dictator(2012)
    When I saw this in the theatre, it got a lot of laughs and strong reaction

Nicholas Cage has lots of financial problems, so he did this sequel for the money
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance(2012)

Wins or fails?