Amph The Trailer Park: The Three Stooges (2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This, I think. Right now we've already seen one of the most forgettable movies of the year and one of the worst with the Queen Latifah movie and the exorcism movie respectively, and next week the new Liam Neeson action thriller is up against the improbably-titled Man on a Ledge starring the boring Mr Worthington, the new Katherine Heigl movie, and the sequel to a 40-year-old cult favorite.

It will have to contend with Red Tails and Haywire, so I guess we'll see if dogfight effects are enough to get general audiences into a movie full of black characters, and if Soderbergh and a bunch of good actors can draw general audiences into a movie in which top billing goes to someone best known for MMA.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Someone best known for MMA that is drop dead gorgeous, one should point out. Yeah, the day Ewan MacGregor, Bill Paxton, Antonio Banderas and Michael Douglas can't get me into the theater is the day I've just given up completely. I'll be seeing Haywire.

Oh, and, by the way, if you missed that Liam Neeson link JohnWesley posted up there, man, that is absolutely gold; go watch it.

"Let's do some improvisational comedy." "Oh, I can't now Liam . . ." "Let's do some improvisational comedy . . . now." "O . . . kay."

"As I said before, I've got full blown AIDS."

"Tring." "WE'RE CLOSED."

That was fantastic. [face_laugh]
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yes, but you are not the average moviegoer, I think. I'm really curious to see how turnout is for both Haywire and Red Tails.
  4. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5
    That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And because it's Liam Neeson, it works 100 times better.
  5. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    That Liam Neeson clip was really funny, I needed that this morning.

And Liam can do comedy, it might not be an Oscar winner, but it is a funny film. Gun Shy
  6. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5
    From Liam Neeson's the Grey we go to Steve Soderbergh's Haywire.

Haywire(2012)

Gina Carano, Channing Tatum, Ewan McGregor, Michael Douglas, Michael Fassbender.
    That's some casting director.

Yet another Haywire Trailer(2012)

Opens January 20th.

Win or Fail?
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Seems like I've talked about the Haywire trailer before here, but maybe that was another thread.

I like the trailer; it has a nice rhythm to it; I like the low-key opening, though I do hope Channing Tatum dies in that scene. The trailer doesn't have me convinced about Carino's acting ability; we don't get to see her deliver too many lines and the ones we do see seem a bit stilted, so it remains to be seen if she has the charisma for this. The trailer convinces me on several other things though:

1. Carino looks fantastic, no matter how she's going to sound and I mean this as both a sort of "she's totally hot" and also as a "she actually looks very cool and almost iconic doing the running and fighting"
    2. The action appears to be shot in a more straight-forward, less shaky cam style than we're used to now, which is a good thing, I think. It looks high impact and pretty great.
    3. Antonio Banderas ("Beard"), Michael Fassbender and Michael Douglas may have small parts, but they'll make them count.
    4. Bill Paxton has been gone way too long and I am going to be damn glad to see him on the big screen again
    5. Ewan McGregor's haircut tells you everything you need to know about him in the movie: namely, he's going to be fan-frigging-tastic
    6. I will have a ticket in hand shortly

8. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

This film was barely on my radar, but after seeing these trailers, I'm definitely going to see it.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The film looked pretty decent when i saw it in theaters- though I had initially dismissed it as a throwaway B movie action flick (yet one with a neat cast, and, hey, i love me some revenge flicks), once I saw who was directing, I had more faith in it delivering.

Though the last line in the tag of the trailer should have been dropped- it comes across as way too cliched and was a major contributor to my initial assessment of the film's quality.
  10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think I've ever loved a Soderbergh film, but he always gets my ticket. Always interesting, even the failures.
  11. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

And he always seems to attract a top notch cast of actors.
    People like to work with him.
  12. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

This year is the one hundredth anniversary of Paramount Pictures and as part of their celebration,
    they did a massive restoration effort on one of Paramount's historic films, Wings, the first movie
    to win a "Best Picture" Academy Award. The Blu Ray version was released yesterday. Here's the
    trailer for it. The movie was shot primarily in San Antonio, Texas.

Paramount went all out on this, including a re-recording of the original score.

Wings(1927)

I got the idea for showing this trailer from the article on the restoration that Nevermind posted
    in another thread. I highly recommend you read the article, if you're interested in film history
    and preservation.

Win or Fail?
  13. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
    It's a win for me. Blessedly short, but makes you want to see it.
  14. TurboExtremist Jedi Master

star 2
    Chinese Zodiac (Release date 12/12/2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHPAD1SAswE

Jackie Chan's next film, going back to the fast-paced action he's known for. Can he still deliver the goods? [face_thinking]
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    The Wings trailer looks great. I can't wait to get that BD.

The Chinese Zodiac trailer is too short and has almost no actual footage, so who can tell?
  16. TurboExtremist Jedi Master

star 2
    It's just a teaser.

In any case, the OP has asked me to put the topic back onto Wings.
  17. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

The latest trailer for the re-boot of Spider-Man, coming to theatres on July 3rd.

The Amazing Spider-Man 3 D(2012)

Maybe this reboot wasn't such a bad idea after all?

I like it. How about you?

Win or Fail?
  18. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master

star 5
    Win!

It's difficult at this point to extricate the Raimi films fully from my mind, but this new movie appears to be going in a direction of which I heartily approve -- towards a more accurate portrayal of the source material. Spidey as a skinny, flippant, high-energy bouncer-arounder is the Spidey I know and love from the comics of the 70s - 90s. Raimi and co. came close -- damn close! -- but to my mind this reboot is hitting closer to the mark.

I also notice that with this second trailer, they're downplaying the origins aspect and presenting it as though it is "just" another Spider-Man movie, albeit with a new cast and long-hidden secrets revealed.
  19. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Win here, too. Much better than the previous trailer. I'm still not all that jazzed by the mysterious past nonsense, but everything else is looking solid.
  20. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

I liked Tobey as Spider Man, but somehow this new guy seems even closer to the mark, based on the trailer.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Haunted! Haunted by the departure of Campbell Scott...

Parker's a weirdo.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    So The Lizard is actually a green scaley monkey...

Well, I guess it's better than the plasic Power Ranger Goblin from the first movie.

Garfield seems like he'll be good, his version of Parker appears to have more atttitude. Still not that big on the costume though.
  23. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    Agreed. The first trailer seemed very caught up in Peter's parents, who (should) have little to no impact on the Spider-man story, much less be party to weird conspiracies. I was okay with the way Ultimate Spider-man did it tying Mr. Parker into its alien-free Venom origin, but there's a big difference between one arc in a long run and an entire film.

This one seemed more concerned with Spider-man bouncing around beating up criminals and being hated by the public (or at least the police). That I can get behind.
  24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Will this one have another one of those god-awful scenes where the people of New York stick up for Spidey?
  25. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7