main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Trailer Park: The Three Stooges (2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    You'd be surprised at their acting abilities, maybe; alot of Special Operations Command folks I've met are characters in and of themselves.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

That makes sense to me. A lot of these guys have to bluff their way through situations, they're bound to have some acting ability.

What worries me about this movie is that it might start a trend that echoes what happened to the TV industry. Movies without actors.
    Just "real" people. Ugh. I don't like real people and characters. I get enough of that in real life. I don't want "reality" movies.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, as an example, one Army Special Forces soldier I met in Afghanistan went around their base with this as his uniform:

[image=http://www.caririsflipflops.com/line/LineBrown.jpg]

[image=http://soccer.epicsports.com/images/16963/0//soffe/m020_b.jpg]

And a set of nipple rings. With a chain.

Mind you, this is on a dude that looks like he'd beat the crap out of 80s Ahnuld. He also dipped alot and wore a Caterpillar hat. :p

4. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I hope that doesn't give any directors or producers ideas. Flip flops? In a war zone? Almost sounds like a M.A.S.H. episode.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, you'd be surprised at soldier attempts at decorating their living spaces. My next-door neighbors in Baghdad had a hookah they smoked flavored tobacco in; another guy had used mortar rounds as table legs.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The question is will this flip-flop/nipple ring guy be in the movie and, if so, why is he not in the trailer? :p

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That already happened to the extent that it's going to happen, I think, with neorealism and mumblecore. Seeing idiots humiliating themselves may be sufficient for TV, but I think mass audiences paying a premium at the theater want spectacle and professionalism.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The visuals like great but I have zero interest in seeing this. It just seems to be presenting war as honorable and I'll never believe that.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Besides there already are reality movies. They're called documentaries....

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Cinema has not reached the point of being able to successfully capture Nipple Ring Guy. Remember how Audie Murphy had the studio edit out parts of his WW2 story because he thought audiences wouldn't believe it? Yeah. :p

Branching off abit, if you want a good look at modern war, go watch Generation Kill. That is how it is.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, you're right. They should have let the terrorists go ahead with their plot. Silly dishonorable SEALs, defending their country!

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    I hope you're right!

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Non-professionals are always a dicey proposition. Otherwise, this looks interesting.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I heard something interesting about this movie today. Apparently, not only does this movie feature an active duty SEAL Team, but they use real guns. And shoot real bullets.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I head that as well. FWIW, Combat Cameramen film us with live rounds pretty regularly; it's just a matter of rigid safety protocols to film with live rounds, like nobody downrange of where the bullets are going, and barriers to keep the bullets from going in unanticipated directions and distances. For example-the majority of the SEALs in the trailer seemed to be carrying Colt M4s:

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/M4A1-CQBR.jpg]

This is the standard service weapon of practically the entire US military; it's my assigned weapon. It has a maximum effective range of 500 meters, which means that it will kill or injure to that distance. However, it has a maximum range of 3,600 meters, which means the conceivable distance the bullet will fly before it runs out of energy and hits the ground. Now, it doesn't have enough energy to be lethal or even inflict injury at that range; just the same, getting sued over emotional distress because bullets are smacking random people 3,600 meters away probably wasn't in the studio's game plan.

In any case, the main draw for this movie would be for those who are curious about how this stuff actually looks. Movies typically don't capture firefights very well; the best one in my memory is probably Heat.

16. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Looking foward to seeing this movie.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Act of Valor is doing very, very well at the box office.

Here's another film that will probably do pretty good, too.

It opens May 25th.

Men in Black 3(2012)

I'll bet director Barry Sonnenfeld is awfully glad this got put into production.
    He's had a "fallow" period of late.

Win or Fail?

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Y'know . . . I don't know.

I liked The Addams Family movies as a kid, but Men in Black never really did it for me -- and I could never put my finger on why, really. It was amusing, but at the end all I could think was, That's it? Like, it's decent entertainment, but it exists on only one level, with no depth and no subtext and nothing to sink one's teeth into. Were there even any subplots? It played like an extended TV episode rather than like a feature film. I don't remember if I ever saw MIB 2.

That said, this sequel looks . . . much the same. It should be amusing, at least, but whether it provides anything beyond some surface-level chuckles remains to be seen. The trailer has me curious to see the movie, so I guess that's a win, though I'm hardly excited about it.

19. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

The trailer has me curious to see the movie, so I guess that's a win, though I'm hardly excited about it.

I pretty much concur with this, and boy are you damning it with faint praise!

If you remove Will Smith's patented charm from these films, it's a pretty empty experience.

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, give away major plot points, why don't you. :p

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    MIB 2 was not good IMO, this looks better but that wouldn't be hard.

22. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    It looks interesting, and Josh Brolin does a pretty mean Tommy Lee Jones impression (I'm not 100% certain if they've dubbed Jones' voice in, or it's Brolin himself doing such a good impression).

I'll say win.

23. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Is it just me or is this a blatant attempt by Will Smith togo back to the "glory days" of his career and get back to the A-list as a movie star. I have felt he has faltered the last 4 years or so sense Hancock.

I also thought Tommy Lee drove the show and Will was better as a side kick, that was the problem I thought with MIB II.

We shall see if this is better, the previews do a good job getting your interest.

24. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

It's interesting that Will Smith's amazing career started wobbling a bit right about the
    time the scientology rumors started.

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Not seeing it. I kind of hate Will Smith Summer blockbusters. Smith plays the same arrogant jerk character every time and they all follow the same plot.