main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Trailer Park: The Three Stooges (2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think it's a good trailer. It sets up the central plot of the film, but doesn't really show you anything at all of the main focus (ie. the 1969 stuff) except the briefest of teases. Tommy Lee Jones does a great delivery of the line, "I promised you the secrets of the universe. Nothing more." And Josh Brolin looks absolutely fantastic. I do think the 1969 thing could be interesting; it gives them some neat ways to open up the MiB universe a bit and take the film in a different direction.

Now, to the bad. I found the first MiB only sporadically amusing and the second was absolutely awful. Josh Brolin's genius aside, the absence of the real Tommy Lee Jones is not a good thing. I have always found Smith to be somewhat obnoxious and this trailer does not reassure me. "He smiles like this." *glowers fiercely* Wait, was that supposed to be funny?

Final verdict? I doubt I'll be seeing it.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I don't think there's any doubt from that trailer that Sonnenfeld intends to give the audience
    exactly what it wants...more of the same...and plenty of Will Smith. Men in Black 3, just on
    name recognition alone will probably have a huge opening weekend. And I'll bet Will Smith is
    gonna be on so many talk shows promoting it you're gonna get sick of seeing him.

Moving right along, I think it's interesting that even though the Johnny Depp-Tim Burton film
    Dark Shadows is only (!) 4 months away, I can't find a trailer for it online. Does that strike
    anyone else as odd? YES I know there are still photos out there, but why no trailer?
    If you can find one, let me know.

To make it even odder, there IS a trailer out for a new Tim Burton film that opens on October 5th.
    It's called Frankenweenie, it's stop motion animation (like Nightmare Before Christmas and The
    Corpse Bride) and it's an expanded version of a live action short Burton did for Disney when he
    was not yet "the" Tim Burton back in 1984. He's always wanted to expand it to a feature, and
    when Disney wanted him to direct Alice in Wonderland, I'll bet anything he made it a conditon.
    "If you want me to do Alice, you have to let me re-do Frankenweenie." And so, there you go.

Now - get a load of this - it's in 3 D AND Black and White! I think the last time Disney
    released a black and white feature film was...Tim Burton's Ed Wood in 1994!!!! I'm not sure of
    that though, but since this is the internet, I know if I'm wrong, I will be corrected.

Frankenweenie(2012)

I'm kind of amazed by what Tim got to do: Stop Motion, Black and White AND 3 D!!!

Win or Fail?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Meh. The original Frankenweenie was cute, but I have trouble imagining the concept inflated to feature-length. And Tim Burton, to be quite honest, has not made a good film in quite some time, and is nowhere near the stop-motion genius that Henry Selick is.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sweeney Todd was a good movie, Alice in Wonderland not so much but it wasn't bad.

Given that the public shy away from films such as The Artist largely based on the fact they are black & white or have no dialogue/have subtitles I'm not sure a black & white movie is going to get good initial success, Burton's name notwithstanding. I remember people coming out of Sweeney Todd and being confused as to why there was lots of singing in it then demanding refunds

That being said, if it's a movie for kids then whether it is colour or not won't really matter.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall reading somewhere that the original short is what got Burton fired from Disney because it was too scary. Now here he is making a feature length version made by Disney.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm excited for this, since it seems like the first Tim Burton project that is legitimately driven by him in a long time.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

That is some of the smoothest, most fluid stop motion I've ever seen.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Exactly. I got a great vibe from that trailer. It legitimately felt like the old Burton, the guy from Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice. I think it looks great. I loved the little sheet covered form being ominously raised to the roof, I actually felt a legitimate emotion when the kid hugged the dog and then the tail started to wag and I think this could be a lot of fun. That dog looks amazing to be stop motion. Very realistic movements. Great scoring to the trailer too. I just can't get over the actual emotion I felt when the kind thought he'd failed and hugged the dog. Oh, man, real emotion? In a trailer? They don't even have that in most movies these days. I'm sold.

9. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

My initial reaction when I heard of this was, wow, Disney is just indulging Tim Burton so he will
    do their big blockbuster literary classic with Johnny Depp. A very expensive self-indulgent
    vanity project. Now I see it may actually be a worthwhile movie.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Real emotion in a trailer is exactly what I thought.

If this works, there's a dog I want to resurrect. :_|

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's still got a long ways to go to take the resurrected-dog-tear-jerker crown from Jurassic Bark. :_|

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Isn't that the reason this movie may actually work? Because we all have a dog we'd like to bring back?

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Absolutely. :_|

14. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Wow, I'm impressed with the emotional pull of the trailer.

That people-pet connection may pull in a lot people. We all love
    our pets, especially our dogs.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I like a lot of things about the trailer. One it screams vintage Burton. I can see Ed Wood and Beetlejuice in there and I am ecstatic about it. Looking at the credits too I see no Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter and that is so refreshing.

But the whole plot seems a little morbid for me. I too see the universality of the theme of the loss of childhood in the death of a pet but I think this kind of plot will be a hard sell as a straight Disney children's film. I think Burton can do it but I fear that the movie will be ideologically schizophrenic because of Disney and will probably burn Burton's bridges with Disney.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It depends who has the power in the relationship.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    I fear that the movie will be ideologically schizophrenic because of Disney and will probably burn Burton's bridges with Disney

Drac, this scenario you are describing is basically what happened in 1984. When Burton did the live action short film of Frankenweenie and spent over half a million dollars, Disney (the regime at the time anyway) was upset it was too dark and not suitable to play prior to a children's feature film, which is what they'd planned to do with it.

However, that was long before Burton became a household name and virtually a genre/brand name unto himself. That was before Nightmare Before Christmas made them a lot of money and became a classic of sorts. Everyone now knows pretty much what to expect from Tim Burton now, including Disney. Burton directed Alice in Wonderland to a one billion dollar plus gross, so I think they're very happy with him and glad to indulge him.

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I still think even with Burton Disney is going to have a really hard time selling this to children but then again Disney is kind of evolving and that might not be their full intent. I get the feeling Alice was viewed more by teenagers and Burton goth fans.

19. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Now, a classic film that has grown on me over the years to the point where it's my favorite
    Hitchcock, which is really saying something.

Vertigo(1958)

I'm assuming most of you have seen the entire film. So is the trailer a Win or Fail?

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The one you posted wouldn't open, so I tried another on the 'net.

The one that starts with the dictionery definition of vertigo.

The voice-over is corny, but look of the film is not.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Well I tried my link, and it did open (for me), though it was preceded by a remarkably sexy commercial
    for Victoria's Secret. Always a plus, though you've pointed out before it's a shame to have to watch
    a commercial to reach a trailer which is, in essence, a commercial itself. But this time, I have no complaints.

The one you watched was the same one, it opened with the dictionary definition.

The narration is a bit overblown. Very standard for the era though. That same announcer must have done a
    million of those.

It's well-known Vertigo was not a commercial success upon initial release. Considering the trailer that
    promoted it, I can see why. It's pretty mediocre. The film's look is one of it's strongest points and
    I'd agree the trailer at least got that right.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It doesn't have the tremendous wit of some of Hitchcock's trailers. But then, "Vertigo" is a remarkably serious film, especially for him.

As a trailer, though, I think this fails. It doesn't really give you a coherent account of the film and why you should see it. The distinctive look of the film is there, yes; but that voice-over sort of distorts it.

(It prolly won't work 'cause I'm in Canada. Lots of things don't. Hulu for one.)

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I appreciate the nostalgia for promotions for films like that from that era, so even though it's cheesy, I don't think it's that bad.

My father took me to see it at the theater when they remasterd, recoloured, and stretched the print to a 70mm angle. It was probably one of my top five filmgoing experiences in my life. I's also my favourite Hitch film.

Trailer for the re-release...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1tOILkIP4

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The comments say that is a fan trailer...it's a really good one, too.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004