main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The "TRAITOR!" Riot Trooper aka "TR-8R"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
  2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    As small as his role was, this guy actually had a really great scene. J.J. was definitely successful in making the Stormtroopers feel like more of a threat again, and then we see this guy whipping around a staff... against a guy with a lightsaber(!). I feel like we finally got that lightsaber duel with a Stormtrooper that McQuarrie teased so long ago. Finn was actually losing, which adds more believability to the fact that you can't just pick of a lightsaber and be great.

It seems like Disney has also retained more control over the EU, because the backstory to Finn's troop actually really added a lot more emotional impact to the film. One of Finn's close friends dying in his hands at the beginning of the movie seemed much more likely to set him off, instead of some random trooper. And of course, this guy being a former comrade Finn's makes the duel mean a lot more; especially him singling out Finn over anyone else. He could have blasted him right then and there, but this guy was seriously pissed enough to whip out a baton and take him on man to man.

Also, according to Wookiepedia, FN-2199 was only wounded in the battle, despite having hole blown through him. If he actually is still alive, this will be the first instance of Stormtrooper armor doing anything, and putting FN-2199 in the running for best Stormtrooper of all time.

Rhyoth, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  3. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    and also nines is a ginger!

4. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Target Exclusive.
    The store decides what they want to sell....................#wheresfinn

5. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012

[​IMG]

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    TR-8R voice actor, aka Lucasfilm sound designer David Acord, speaks!

http://nerdist.com/kylo-rens-signature-force-sound-was-a-purring-kitty-say-sound-designers/

N: Dave, I would be remiss if I didn’t ask you about voicing FN-2199, a.k.a. TR-8R. I know it was part of the “additional voices” recording—how were those recorded and how did “Traitor!” come about?

DA: Occasionally, you’ll just be working and, “We need this guy to say this right now” and we’ll go record it. That’s another way; it’s on the spot. You find somebody that can do it, and you do it. That’s how FN-2199 happened. Originally, it was J.J. His voice was a temp placeholder, and he wanted to replace it. It went through four other actors, I think, before it landed on my performance and he was okay with it. It’s a really funny thing to me. It’s a cool scene; the stunt actor, Liang Yang, really did all the hard work in that scene, but it’s fun to be part of. I didn’t even know it was a thing on the Internet until Pablo Hidalgo emailed me and asked if he could post on StarWars.com that I was the voice of FN-2199.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    With the Blu Rey release we can see TR-8R in all his loyal glory! Again and again!

also deleted scene!

[​IMG]

8. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    After watching the light sabre duel again (between Kylo and Rey), the fight makes more sense to me, force-wise.

She did not best him really, he clearly could have finished her if he wanted to. She is clearly very strong with the force and it was enough to fight him off and force him back. From then, the ground separation and his injury, it was a minor victory for Rey. But one that was allowed to happen by Kylo's mercy.

9. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Wrong Thread??? :p

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think this guy could have easily been Phasma. It would have given her something interesting to do in the movie, and amplified her as a primary antagonist for Finn. She was even photographed on the Maz's Castle set for Vanity Fair.

[​IMG]

Rou-eru likes this.
  11. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I was pretty disappointed by the use of phasma in tfa, I expected more tbh.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    When Kylo yells "Traitor!" before the duel, I think maybe he's calling in TR-8R for backup. :p

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Even Kylo Ren knew to show respect for TR-8R's loyalty and sick spins.

also this:

14. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    aw man that would be cool if they had a post credits scene of the camera sweeping through the ruins of Maz' castle and the camera pans over to a stormtrooper body , the helmet is broke and we can see part of the troopers eye it is closed but then all of a sudden it opens and his hand reaches for the the stun baton and grips it tightly then cut to black!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The funny thing is that Finn was about to be absolutely decimated and his story completely over had it not been for Han's rescue. I still view the Stormtrooper as having won that fight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    We get to see the contrast between the PT clone troopers and the ST conditioned troops. With the OT it's unclear whether or not they are clones or not, although there is a reference in a deleted scene that says that people are being drafted by the empire, presumably as storm troopers. Either way, OT troops don't show any kind of personality though we see that they're pretty bad at hand to hand combat even though they have the advantage of being covered by a metal suit.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hey, look who made it into the Star Wars Emoji vid! Wappity-wappity-wappity!

One Quarter Portion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.