main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm probably the lone man out, but I actually found ROTF to be fun. **** on top of ****, but it was actually entertaining.

DOTM I found it to be boring. Though not as boring as......as......what ever the last one was called.

Still say they missed an incredible opportunity at making the last one a smaller more focused movie with a broken Prime at the farm.

2. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Resurrect Starscream.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

These films run together for me so help me out….was ROTF the one with the skydivers in Chicago where they had to fight their way back in or was that DOTM?

Deliveranze likes this.
  4. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

The Skyscraper scene where it gets cut in half was in DOTM. There may have been another Skyscraper scene in the last movie. Can't remember. I know they have to go across some cables to pass from the alien ship to the building.

Deliveranze likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Transformers- One with the Allspark and Battle in city at the end

ROTF- Basically a giant battle in Egypt. Something about a sun destroyer machine

DOTM- Full on Decepticon Invasion in Chicago.

AOE- Battle in China I think. Technically no Decepticons in this one.

ShaneP likes this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

The wingsuit sequence was in Dark of the Moon, which was the third film. DOTM also had the Buzz Aldrin cameo.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ahh okay. I remember now. Geez, there's a lot of action in these films that seems indistinguishable.

I like ROTF better as a story but the action sequences in Chicago I really liked. Plus, I thought The Fallen's demise was anticlimactic. ROTF also had those really cool sequences where the aircraft carrier gets cut in two and the Giza pyramids.

Michael Bay and ILM really bring their A games to the films but it hasn't resulted in a truly terrific cohesive movie yet in my opinion. Some really cool sequences scattered across all of the movies.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I thought that Transformers and Dark of the Moon were the most cohesive from a storytelling perspective. Revenge of the Fallen was sort of the middle and Age of Extinction was at the bottom. Optimus Prime riding Grimlock felt kind of meh. A shape-shifting robot carrying a sword while riding a dinosaur should be full blown inner nine year old material and yet it felt kind of phoned it. I mean how do you possibly screw that up? :oops:[face_dunno]:confused:

Darth_Invidious and cerealbox like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Having crazy action and developed characters aren't mutally exclusive. There's no reason why the films couldn't have comics-level (or even Transformers Prime-level) character development. It only enhances the action when you care about the characters.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Of course but I sure wouldn't expect it from Bay. Maybe in the future but since the formula is still making billions, I'm not gonna put the expectation for this one since we don't even know yet where they are taking it. Would it be great to have action, developed characters and throw in other complex elements? Sure. Is it likely gonna happen now? Maybe. But I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Actually, word has it that Dino/Mirage is alive.

Even the cartoons have more going on in terms of developing characters and coming up with interesting stories, than the Bay films.

There were two skyscraper scenes in AOE. The Chicago scene where the Autobots anchored Lockdown's ship to, I think the Willis Tower and then in Hong Kong, where Joshua Joyce is trying to protect the Seed and he rides up a skyscraper to meet with the Autobots.

Here's the rundown of known plot points.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/12/06/transformers-last-knight-plot-roundup-329777#more-329777

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    He was only in DOTM tho, right?

Yeah I was talking about the 80s cartoon. The reincarnations of the show since have only become more character focused. Armada and Animated were my fav. Haven't seen Prime yet but I heard it was pretty good.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I happily accept about 90% of Prime as the definitive non-comics incarnation of the franchise.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but he was part of the same team of Autobots that arrived on Earth in ROTF. But he had apparently stayed on the Xantium. Those Autobots weren't in the first film, but they were part of Optimus's team that came to Earth initially, before they actually came to Earth. Hound, Crosshairs and Drift coming later. They were supposed to be scattered across the galaxy looking for the Cube. The core Autobot team were supposed to be the same team that hunted for the Cube and the other three had just migrated their way there.

The G1 Hasbro cartoon was more action than plot at the start, but as time went on, we got to see more development of the cast and this was especially true in season three.

It was a well done series, indeed. But then it was written with an older audience in mind.

15. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Ah true. So this will be Dino's second or third appearance? I can't remember if he was in AOE. I only remember Hound.

Yeah. Unfortunately most people think Season 1 and 2 plus the film when it comes to G1 cartoon. The movie added a much maturity level and I like how season 3 developed Rodimus. Kup, Arcee and Rodimus always held more weight to me than the cast of Season 1 and 2.

Cool how Season 4 had the Headmasters and Targetmasters introduced.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    This will be Dino's second appearance. Hound, Crosshairs and Drift were in AOE. Ratchet was the only other Autobot to be in all four films.

Having a smaller cast helps. Season three had a smaller focus of new characters in 1986, compared to the previous two seasons which was much larger and thus more of a juggling act. This is the same reason "Beast Wars", "Beast Machines", "Prime" and "Robots In Disguise" work. "Armada", "Energon" and "Cybertron" had trouble maintaining focus due to the large cast, but also just losing focus all together. "Animated" fluctuated between big and smaller, so your mileage varies.

If only it had been five episodes instead of three. But, yeah, I like them.

[​IMG]

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Apparently Barricade, the police car Decepticon, is still alive and will be in The Last Knight.

Now that guy is lucky.

First movie: beat up by Bumblebee, fight with Prime is offscreen
    RotF: not in this
    DotM: shot by bumbleee, leg is blown off, last seen crawling away
    AoE: not in this
    TLK: will be in this

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    LOL Oh damn! I could've sworn he died in DOTM.

darth-sinister What is your favorite out of all them? The only one I think I ever sat through fully was Animated. Helped that it came out right after the success of the 2007 film. Also like the inexperienced young Optimus idea.

I forget which country it was but I heard they changed the story so it somehow fit with the movie continuity.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Barricade is even luckier- they cut his death scene from the first film (it's why he disappears from the film in the middle of the freeway chase), although one of his car doors are among the Decepticon trash being dumped into the ocean with Megatron at the end.

Then they had Barricade clones in ROTF, IIRC.

cerealbox likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I've only watched the Hasbro G1 cartoon series, "Super God Masterforce", "Victory", "Beast Wars", "Armada" and "Prime" all the way through. RID 2015 is still ongoing. But I'm familiar with what happened in the other series. The Takara cartoons often have good ideas, but some lousy execution. I know that not all anime has that problem, but it seems to be a common theme with TF. "Headmasters" has some good potential, but the way the 84-86 characters were treated feels wrong. "Beast Wars II" and "Beast Wars Neo" have too much silly humor. "Energon" was poorly paced. At least RID 2015 decided to switch things around to avoid that.

As to inexperienced Optimus, I think BW did it well Optimus Primal. Not too inexperienced, but more than enough to get the job done

It was "Animated", but this never happened. Only Bulkhead was re-named to be Ironhide in the Japanese dub.

Deliveranze likes this.
  21. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Ahhh yes. Your avi is Powermaster Optimus from Super God Masterforce right? I thought the Unicron Trilogy was alright. I literally lost all interest by Cybertron though.
    I own Beast Wars but I only watched a few episodes. It was good from what I remember. Had no interest in Beast Machines tbh. Energon definitely had problems but I have nostalgia for it since it was my first show.

So TF Animated in Japan isn't a loose TF film continuity show?

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    God Ginrai, but yes, that's correct.

Nope. It was intended to be that way, but when the episodes were translated, this never took place. It was to take place before the first film, since in the show Optimus isn't a Supreme Commander yet and he is in the films.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Theatrical poster has been revealed. Spoiler tags due to size.

[​IMG]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a good poster- the Prime/Bee thing is the more interesting hook they've thrown out in this trailer. Still wish I had any idea what the moon eating thing is, though (outside of a "please don't be Unicron" fear).

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    New stuff.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/12/29/...rmers-5-plot-elements-future-franchise-330419

Still shot from the film.

[​IMG]

Second TV spot.

Sad bit of news.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/01/14/r-p-dick-gautier-1931-2017-331047

"The Last Knight" Shadow Strike Optimus Prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLK Voyager Optimus Prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tenth Anniversary Masterpiece Bumblebee.

[​IMG]

Masterpiece Supreme Commander Optimus Primal. A repaint with the mutant mask accessory.

[​IMG]

Commercial for "Combiner Force" toys.