main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Over the weekend I thought I was watching the Bumble Bee movie, but it turned out I was watching Herbie Fully Loaded.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You know a movie is really terrible when even the Honest Trailer doesn’t have time to touch on the location continuity problems- something that would have been a notable segment in an HT for any other film...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I guess Bumblebee will be a post-script prequel to the Bay Transformers films. I am still quite looking forward to it, lots more than I was The Last Knight, mostly due to the title Transformer they chose, the actors and the director (Kubo and the 2 strings is legit great)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @darth-sinister and others that buy Transformers

So I've been wanting an Optimus Prime to have at my desk at work, to not only display, but transform from time to time.

I see there is the Oversize, the Masterpiece, and the Voyager editions. After watching Youtube and talking to my friend, I guess scale is VERY important to people when displaying their toys.

At this point, there is no way I'd drop $250-350 for the MP-10. My friend says the Oversize is too big, so I'm considering the Voyager since it's the cheapest at $60. Yes, it is smaller than the MP, but I wouldn't be displaying it next to anything else. A Megatron would be cool someday, but I'm not sure why there isn't a Voyager version of him. Is the V edition a new thing?

At the end of the day, if companies like Kubianbao or WeiJiang are going to make booklegs, why don't they make them close to the same size as the MPs?

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First, I haven't bought a "Transformers" toy since 1991. But I have been paying attention to the figures and have visited a couple of forums. So anything that I can say will be based on observations. When it comes to scale, it is only important if you desire it to be important. Some fans want to recreate the look of the original toys in terms of scale, while others wish to follow the cartoon. Neither side is right or wrong here. What matters most is what you feel. See, I know that some people will say that Bumblebee should be small because that's how the original toy was made and how the original cartoon depicted him. Me, I'm different. I'll choose a deluxe sized Bumblebee if it is a well done figure.

[​IMG]

Your basic purist would go for the legends class figure released in 2016. He is a good mold size wise and overall, but for me, I'd go with a larger figure that comes with a weapon.

[​IMG]

Masterpiece Bumblebee isn't meant for the CHUG (Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations) line, but my feeling is that he best represents Bumblebee to me, over the other two deluxe molds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's nothing wrong with those molds, but I prefer what I prefer.

[​IMG]

Likewise, someone will tell you that having a deluxe Warpath is wrong next to the other legends scaled figures, but I like the deluxe better as it better represents the character for me. And then there's the Seekers. Most will want a voyager class mold to go along with both the original toy and the cartoon versions being bigger than most of the other Autobots. While this is true, I find that the deluxe mold works better and for one simple reason.

[​IMG]

Hasbro and Fun Publications gave us a whole swath of Seekers between 2006 and 2016. Hasbro has rarely created other seekers outside of Thundercracker and Skywarp in other size classes. So far, only Acid Storm has been given a shot in the other size classes, in relation to the CHUG lines. I'll settle for a deluxe size mold that has a whole range of different variations, over a trio in other size classes.

Oversized figures, I assume you refer to the Authentics line? Those are toys for causal collectors and younger kids who have trouble with the more complex transformations. Unless you mean knock offs, well, those are a different matter. You can find a good knock off toy that will serve your purpose, while being less expensive.

[​IMG]

This knock off of Masterpiece Optimus Prime is a voyager sized figure, that retains all the complexities of the original and is far cheaper, but is still of a good quality. Unless you're talking about the knock off already, in which case, then I'd go with it. As to Megatron, you can find a couple of good third party figures to serve as a substitute. But only one will turn into a gun and none are Masterpiece in design.

[​IMG]

Toyworld Hegemon does have the old school G1 look and outside of his translucent elbows, is considered a good figure.

[​IMG]

Mastermind Creations Tyrantron. He is based on the IDW version and is a voyager figure, but turns into a tank.

It all depends on what you want out of scale and what design works for you.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for the insight @darth-sinister

I decided to pull the trigger and bought the Optimus Prime MP-10V on ebay for $45.99. My hope is that KBB will eventually make a Voyager version of Megatron, but if they never do, that's fine. I got a good spot picked out at work for Optimus and I look forward to the joy that he will bring.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think KBB will do an MP of Megatron, but they're going to wait a bit before they do. The official MP-10 was released in 2011 and MP-36, aka Megatron was just released last year. They probably don't want to step on Hasbro and Takara's toes so soon. Plus, it'll take a while to engineer a scaled down version of Megatron and retain all the gimmicks like they did with Optimus.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Where's the best place to read up or see all the KBB Voyager toys released thus far?

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You know, thinking about it, you could have gone a different route.

[​IMG]

You could have gone with the Music Label Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Rumble and Frenzy figures. In addition to being fully functioning figures, they're also great for music listening.

[​IMG]

While Device Label Blaster/Broadblast, Cheetor and Grimlock would work for your computer.

The trailer for "Power Of The Primes".

Darth Downunder likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Avengers: Infinity War Meme SPOILER

[​IMG]

Darth_Furio and FatBurt like this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Transformers 7 Officially Pulled From Paramount’s Calendar
    It's about time. The Bayformers should have been rebooted long ago as the franchise kept devolving.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Netflix's "The Toys that Made Us" season two had an episode that featured The Transformers which is a great documentary on the toys and franchise as it notes the seeds came out of World War II and tuna cans.

I'm glad the episode went in detail about Marvel comic's involvement with the Transformers, specifically, Bob Budiansky, who came up with the character names and profiles.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Toys that Made Us is solid geekery all around, they also in the GI Joe episode lend some credit to Marvel for coming up with the mythology, I'm assuming Transformers was just them doing the GI Joe approach again.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I watched it last night and I highly recommend it. The narrator is a little annoying at times, but I guess he's trying to keep it light and silly. Towards the end it actually gets a little serious and emotional and I liked that.

22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah that's great. The He-Man episode is good too. "Transformers" is the only one of the 3 toy obsessions I had as a kid where I kept all of them. Still have over 100 packed away somewhere. Star Wars & Masters of the Universe figures were all lost to the sands of time.
    I thought the first Bay movie was ok, after that they became horrendous. Haven't seen the last couple.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Well the one person they spoke to said it needed to be more than the good guys verse the bad guys so they gave them all names and personalities, but ultimately, it still felt like the good guys verses the bad guys in my memory. As I kid I remember loving Optimus and the Dinobots and maybe Bubble Bee, but that was it for the good guys. I don't really remember names or personalities of the other Autobots. On the Decepticon side I remember Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave but I couldn't name the other ones.

I remember the Megatron spacial issues with his robot form and gun form not making sense to me as well as how they could all fly. Why be a jet when everyone can fly anyway?

It's amazing all the work that went into the series, but at the same time how lazy the cartoon felt. Often our memories and nostalgia outshine the actual reality.

I do love Beast Wars, and even though Beast Machines was very slow, I did like the mix of the technological and organic and it had a satisfying end that I didn't think we got with the 85 series.