main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    See, the thing is, we were supposed to, since WFC/Exodus originally had nothing to do with Prime...until Hasbro decided to make it a prequel, despite stating it to be the start of a new G1 canon.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, that's it for the intro mini-series. I think that's it until next February? At least it set up things, and was pretty good on its own. The Optimus vs. Megatron fight was pretty good, especially with how Optimus was mainly planning to just distract Megatron long enough for them to blow up the space bridge, and of course the immortal epic line of "one shall stand, one shall fall", and unlike the first live-action movie you can actually hear the line easily.

I like Fowler well enough, after the last movie glad to see someone from the government who isn't the friendliest but seems pretty competent too. Still don't really care for the kids much, but oh well, they're part of most Transformers stories. I'm liking Starscream well enough so far. Ambitious, but not quite as outright treacherous as Animated, and even when he flew away at the end, his reason (no way are they going to survive that explosion!) made sense.

Nice to see Cybertron, even a dead Cybertron. While most continuities usually have a depleted Cybertron (after millions of years of war), usually don't see a completely dead planet, usually there's still some survivors up to something. Or if there's anyone still alive there, hope the zombies didn't get them.

Ratchet's probably my favorite character so far, I like the grouchy old 'bot, although the aren't too bad, but Optimus is still classic Optimus, which is great. I just still wish Bumblebee talked in this continuity. Wonder where they'll go from here now. Whether it'll just be an energon race, or if some other more specific goal will show up. And of course Megatron will be back, but its kind of funny hearing them all pronounce him dead. Starscream is one thing, but Optimus probably shouldn't dismiss his survival quite so quickly. Just hope it won't have to wait until the end of the first season, unlike the last series.

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Optimus Prime dies and comes back. Megatron is said to have died and comes back. Such is the way of things in Transformers.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the mini-series has concluded, with the regular series to premiere in February.

And, not bad- not bad at all. Though the zombie horde army plotline isn't too original, it's combination with the dead-Cybertron concept is the first time I've found there to be a good use for the dead-Cybertron concept (though IDW apparently did something vaguely along those lines with the Insecticon hordes, from what I can tell).

Welker also sounded much more G1-Megatron in several scenes (hopefully I'll get a chance to mess with the audio eventually- add a little flange or metallic echo to it would make it sound almost identical, I'd bet) at the same time he managed to avoid the dryer sound he had as Megs in the movie games (albeit at the loss of the "scratchy throat" effect).

His interactions with Starscream also worked extremely well, as did the Agent's teasing of Starscream (nothing pisses off Starscream more than assuming he's not the 'con in charge, [face_laugh] ). "All Hail Starscream."

Again, they've used the vehicles modes remarkably well and far better than the films even attempted to do.

Bulkhead's much better here than he was in Animated. Soundwave I'm mixed on. I like the redesign with the COBRA B.A.T.S.-like faceplate style and it's ability to show data Soundwave is processing, though I dislike his lack of a real voice (why are they avoiding his awesome modulator voice?).

The use of the tentacles on him isn't too bad (an obvious nod to his movie counterpart) and at least contributes to his primary function as the main Decepticon used to deploy devices/bots that can infiltrate human buildings with ease and go after individuals without taking down the whole building.

It'll be interesting to see where they take things- "Unicron the Destroyer" does exist in this continuity in some form, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them work into that down the road (though, I would assume, without the Primus/Cybertron angle).

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    If it is I wonder how long it will take for him to end up humping someones leg. :(

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    On the Malazan fourms they are saying that in TF2 Megatron goes to a Decep. ship on the moon or a moon somewhere in our Solar System. I thought he had traveled back to Cybertron? Can someone shed light on this for me?

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Got to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the 3D quality of the trailer. Last night at work we snuck it on our midnight show of Narnia even though we weren't supposed too >.>

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    How do you sneak trailers in and make them into 3D?

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The distributors tell us what trailers they want us to play on their films. We added Transformers onto Narnia, the trailer was already formatted for 3D.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh Damn I bet the crowd liked that then....

12. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    According to the prequel comics, the Decepticons set up shop on Mars, which is presumably where the Nemesis crashed.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That. Looks. AWESOME!!!! The toy looks great, too.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It looks just like Megatron's awful barnacle-chandelier design.

With Megatron I figured they were just stuck with it, but for them to intentionally use it again...ugh.

At least they vaguely kept some of his defining features' outlines- the gun cable, chest, the horns and the eye.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Just prayer the rumor that they were getting David Warner pans out. We couldn't get Corey Burton, but getting the actual guy he based Shockwave's voice on could be even better.

And it's just the chest that looks bad really, I mean they might be able to do some last minute fixes to it, like they did with Megatron's face.

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I can't see Shockwave now without thinking of a hardcore band called Shockwave that used clips from Transformers in almost every song they did. In fact, they did an intro track to their record in which they just changed "Shockwave" and had soundbites of Megatron and Starscream throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KPQ1kfPZM

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, since I rather liked Megatron's design, I see nothing wrong here. And there was nothing wrong with Megatron's design, either.

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    And apparently the gold bearded transformer from the Neil Armstrong trailer isn't Alpha Trion, it's Sentinel Prime.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Full Trailer is Up

The alien invasion angle looks amazing (kinda takes the thunder out of my eventual reboot being centered around All Hail Megatron :p).

Looks like they'll play up the dropped-like-a-stone "what if you're wrong?" subplot the second film briefly introduced.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah it does look like All Hail Megatron, or should that be All Hail Shockwave? Looks like the Autobots leave the humans for lying to them, or maybe they are going back to Cybertron for reinforcements. But it looks like Earth will be fighting the Decepticons alone for a good part of the movie. Which means once again we get no Autobot characterization. :mad:

I don't care about Sam, his parents, his girlfriend issues, the soldiers are bearable as background characters. I do care about Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet, Arcee, Bumblee, ect... you know the actual Transformers who these movies are named after.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The only hope for this movie is that it isn't written by the *#@% __________ (genetic defectives) who made the first two scripts.

Still, with Bay at the helm, this is still definately a 'wait for the DVD' as far as I'm concerned.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Autobot characterization? They at least had a couple decent scenes for them in the first film. How about we get any Decepticon characterization first? They've been nothing but nameless, generic monsters on the whole (shy Megatron when he's fighting Prime).

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    ROTF we got good classic Starscream and Megatron. Soundwave did pretty much exactly what he did in the cartoon. Shockwave hopefully will get some good moments.

But look at Jolt in ROTF, did anyone even notice he was there?