main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

What no Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? :p

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

Has Bay signed on to direct TF 5 and/or 6? I ask, not because I think it'll make much of a difference with those films (as the template for this saga is already firmly in place by this point), but because even with Pain & Gain slipped in there, surely after four films and nearly a decade Bay is anxious to move on and direct something that doesn't involve wide-scale robot carnage.

Of course knowing Bay, he'll probably announce he's moving on and then sign on to direct a live action GoBots movie.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    He hasn't signed on yet, hope he doesn't.

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmmm, I believe TF 5 is due in '16, right? If so, he's going to have to decide soon. Maybe it all depends on the progress of Bad Boys 3.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bay said somewhere he basically takes them one at a time. Recall that Paramount really pushed for Bay to do 3 & 4, so I imagine something like "we'll pay for you to do a Pain & Gain between TF films" arrangement is at play.

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Oh yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Bay has a lot of leverage and I'm sure he's using it to the max.

If he does go on to direct part 5, that would have to put him in some exclusive company. How many people have directed five or more films in a particular franchise? Peter Jackson comes to mind with his soon to be six film Middle Earth saga. I believe John Glen directed five Bond movies.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah. I would go to the movies more if I lived closer to or fewer traffic lights to a theater. I can't even say for sure I'll see The Expendables.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Hasbro was the one that requested that both Cullen and Welker at least audition for the first film. Bay was convinced that Cullen could do it, but not Welker. However, Welker's run on "Transformers Prime" showed that he could do more than just yell and deliver 80's dialogue.

Welker did voice Megatron in the "Transformers Prime" video game.

Megatron and Optimus being friends started with the G1 episode, "War Dawn" where the Aerialbots went back in time nine million years to the day Megatron befriended Orion Pax and then gravely wounded him, resulting in his rebirth as Optimus Prime. IDW's G1 universe, Fun Publications "Wings Of Honor" universe, the movieverse and the Aligned ("Prime", WOC, FOC, ROTDS, "Exodus", "Exiles", "Retribution", "Rescue Bots" and "Robots In Disguise") universe pay homage to that episode.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Please god, Please no more transformer movies. I can't take my childhood getting trampled on anymore. Let my childhood die a peaceful existence. I am almost 40 years old. Please give Hollywood some real creativity.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sadly, there will be more. Opening weekend is estimated at 100 million (the highest opening of the year) domestic and 300 million worldwide (including 90 million from Chiba, which might be the biggest opening there ever- at the very least it's the biggest non-Chinese film opening ever).

Which basically means that by the time I manage to reboot this series, Cullen and Welker will probably no longer be around to participate... Oh, cruel irony.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The2ndQuest: Would your Transformers reboot have any of the following:

Cosmos
    Skylynx
    Omega Supreme
    Metroplex
    Trypticon
    Fortress Maximus
    combiners other than the Constructicons
    ?

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    If it were up to me, I'd say...

ALL OF THEM!!!

13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    At this point they could just take the ship into space with just a few characters and land on a few odd places and call it a movie and still make millions. No need for massive explosions except in space. Just more green screen and some dialogue. You may end up with a better quality movie.

14. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Basically, a live-action movie version of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

?

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Film was about what I expected. I will praise it for probably having the most Transformers screen time and Transformers action then all the other movies combined. Drift, Crosshairs, and Hound were actualy attempted to be made into real characters. Dinobots were nice, but a missed opportunity. Just having Grimlock speak would have added so much more to their time on screen. Lockdown was probably the best villain of the series, and,again, probably had more screen time then every villain from the first 3 movies. Optimus was great, and it was nice to see him actually be a character in the movie. I do dislike his grunting though. And Welkers Galvatron was Ok, he does add a little original Megatron twang to his Galvy voice.

So to sum that part up, it was nice to see more Transformers in a Transformers movie doing other stuff then just fighting each other.

In saying that it's still probably the worst of the series. Just way to long. There's like 5 acts in this movie. Cared little for the new leads, and at times almost missed Shea Lebeef. CIA stuff was just to much. Stanley Tucci went from series @#$hole funny to slapstick funny. AND even though Marky Marks friends death was a little gruesome, I was so happy when he bought it. I knew he was dead. @#$^, Optimus was only big enough for 3. The boyfriend gets the worst actor award for the movie.

To me the missed opportunity was not having this be a smaller film with a lot of time dealing with Optimus at the farm. I actually liked that part of the movie. I actually think a movie with Optimus being taken care of by the family, coming to grips with his revenge, and frustration with humanity would have made for a good first half of that movie.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Those are ***damned beautiful.

EDIT- Yeah, when the film is smaller in scale (even when focusing on the car chases and factory research, Galvatron deployment, Lockdown showing up, etc) it actually works so much better than when it goes super-big and loses focus.

Obviously at this point it's just fan wishlisting but everything would ultimately come down to what works best for the story being told (otherwise it'd be no better than Bay's use of Shockwave and the Dinobots, amongst others). My initial inclination would be that the Omega Supreme/Constructicons history would make for a compelling reason to include them both (and a final showdown between the two of them would satisfy the "Giant Fracking Robots" spectacle that would be offset by my preference of shrinking the bots down a bit (so as not to require an extensive amount of exposed design like the Bayformers aesthetic uses- but a robot only 40 feet tall is a still a ***damn 40 foot robot).

The FOC trailer shows that including "Metroplex heeds the call of the last Prime" would be a fantastic element to center flashback (or even contemporary) Cybertron sequences around. Fortress Maximus is, in broad strokes, redundant to Metroplex so I'd say no there. Dreamwave's version of Trypticon as a mobile base during the war might be a valid inclusion depending on how extensive flashback sequences could be.

I'd say no to Cosmos- his design was always kinda goofy and a stubby flying saucer is hard to justify. But if an Autobot serving the orbital communications function like Soundwave did in Bay's movies was needed, I could see reworking the character.

Despite my love of space shuttles, Skylynx runs into the redundancy problem when you already have Omega Supreme. But if the story requires multiple space transports, he'd be an obvious secondary candidate.

Other Combiners would be at the mercy of the story- if something like AOE's plotline was being used where bringing in the Stunticons would make absolute sense, there's no reason why not to do it. But you also don't want to go too crazy with the Combiners or you run into too many characters sharing similar roles (since one set of Combiners is effectively 5-6 characters a pop).

I would assume Bruticus and Superion would make the short list if one were to explore more combiners, but Defensor, Computron & Predaking would probably not (unless a story starts delving into the beast mythology, then Predaking could work- though you still have the issue of overshadowing Devastator). Abominus might have potential for the unique Terrorcon monster-angle (though once could simply merge the concept with Predaking- so long as you keep the lovely color scheme).

[​IMG]

But, who knows- with the right budget and story you might be able to do a last-battle-on-Cybertron Armageddon type deal like the FOC trailer and just load those scenes up with background combiner cameos that aren't relevant to the main cast dynamic in a present day earth plot.

17. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    You know they could if they were visiting a different planet run into the insecticons just not looking like regular insects we see on earth.

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    This just reminded me to check and see if the TRANSFORMERS toy art book has been released yet.

EDIT: Nope, not yet. Went from May, to July, and now it's August.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Unless you want to do something like "Transformers Zone" with the Decepticon Demon Generals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Well, Rob Bricken's at it again.

The Transformers: Age of Extinction:The FAQ (NSFW language and movie spoilers contained in link)

I, for one, did not know that the movie had a brief discussion about Texas' age-of-consent laws, which seems creepy and rather out-of-place for a Transformers movie. But this is Michael Bay, so what do you expect?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that was a pretty big WTF? moment. My favorite line in that FAQ is:

"...the movie eventually makes it clear that Frasier is only supposed to be hunting those evil Decepticons who destroyed Chicago, not the heroic Autobots who destroyed Chicago. Frasier doesn't seem to care about the difference, although maybe he can't tell any of the Transformers apart like the rest of us."

And, from the comments:

"Live action Transformers being hugely budgeted and successful but absolutely terrible feels like some sort of monkeys paw wish gone wrong or something."

Also, another article on TF coined a term that best describes the canvas that Michael Bay creates these films upon: a crapestry.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Wonder what the movies would have been liked if Spielberg directed them instead of producing them.

23. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    [​IMG]
    trukk not munky.

Nobody145 and The2ndQuest like this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given Prime's out of character psychotic tendencies in these films, I feel a short "The Assassination of Optimus Prime By the Coward Michael Bay" is in order...

Darth_Invidious likes this.