main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I couldn't get into Beast Wars. To me, it was the equivalent of the franchise "jumping the shark." Although one of my friends was into it and keep on trying to get me to watch it. I'm too narrow minded for that, I guess.

I love the part of the "The Toys That Made Us" regarding the Transformers animated movie and featuring people reaction to all the G1 characters dying.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. Hasbro took the Diaclone and Micro Change toys to their marketing team who came up with the brand name, the faction names and the symbols. Marvel then did the rest.

The Transformers in most media have the ability to mass shift when transforming, which is why certain ones can be held by humans and by other Transformers. As to why be a jet, the point was that the ones with jet alt modes have a greater range of speed and maneuverability in those forms. The other Deceptions only needed to fly because of where the Decepticon base was in the cartoon and later, when the series spent more time in space.

Actually, it holds up pretty well compared to most cartoons of the time. But we have to remember that there was the edict of action over story, which has kinda diminished in the years since.

That's because in the 80's, cartoon series having an ending wasn't deemed a necessity in western fiction.

How could it jump the shark when there were already the Dinobots, the Insecticons, half of the cassettes, the Predacons, Sky Lynx, the Seacons, the Sharkticons, the Beast Pretenders, the Sixchangers and Victory Leo who had beast alt modes. Anyway, you should really give it another try.

News updates.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/31/...of-transformers-movies-2019-and-beyond-364648

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/31/...s-barricade-for-transformers-bumblebee-364640

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/31/...lebee-movie-to-be-released-on-june-5th-364662

And the next Encore figure to be released...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    There's too much content out there for me to watch Beast Wars. I mean, I've wanting to watch go90's Power of the Primes but haven't been able to find or make time to watch it.

I will make time tomorrow for the Bumble Bee trailer should it drop tomorrow.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The Bay movies have been crap & maybe this will be too. Mind you I found this one trailer more enjoyable than anything in those other awful films.

1.48 being the highlight :cool:

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    its Directed by Travis Knight the head Animator for Stop Motion movie Company, Laika Entertainment. He Directed two great films Kubo And The Two Strings and ParaNorman they are two great films in the vain of Tim Burton Stop Motion films made the same way. I loved the look of the Trailer fresh and original definitely different then a Michael Bay Film.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth Downunder like this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Looks dope. I like the aesthetic of it. Very warm, light-hearted, and lacks the bombastic cynicism of The Last Knight or other Bay Transformers films.

I enjoyed the 2007 film quite a bit, and since expectations were so low after Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon was an fun time too.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah this seems more of an adventure vibe which recalls the 2007 film, although mystically quoting the car dealer from the original and "Every Story Has A Beginning!" may not be for the best to tie it in so closely when this seems like a tonal reset. But I totally have faith in Travis Knight, his movies are awesome. Even if this basically just turns out to be "Iron Giant / E.T. with a robot transforming car" I'm okay with that.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The teaser looks very promising- they've scaled back the number of moving parts for the transformations to make them more visually comprehensible and pleasing (and Knight s skilled enough to make that shot from under the car look beautiful), they scaled down their size (Bee can fit in a garage/large lobby), they upped their armor (he's not as exposed) and, in general, gave him a much better design (and 100,000x all of that for the Starscream design here- a shame to think he'll devolved into the waste of a character in the later films). I like how they even acknowledge that, yes, a Transformer isn't 100% a car. It's a robot disguised as a car. If you pop the hood or look under the engine, you're going to run into a creepy robot face.

The first season-to-season-and-a-half is really kind of a slog since the animation is really rough and they didn't yet have a direction for the story and the character designs just aren't as appealing for the most part (obviously there are exceptions). It doesn't have much of a pace to it at all so it's rather aimless and just hitting some checkboxes half the time.

But it does get there, eventually. The backhalf of season 2 has some really good episodes and the G1 connections in Season 3 are really cool.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So is BubbleBee movie the end of the Bay era or the beginning of the reboot?

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Yup.

They finally wisened up and moved on from Bay though he's only a producer on the Bumblebee movie.

I haven't been remotely interested in a Transformers movie at this point in their production in some time but this one has my eye, mostly because of Knight. The trailer looks promising.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You answered Yes to my OR question, so this is the final movie in the Bay set of films and then they reboot will be completely separate and unrelated to anything before it, right?

12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Sorry. Yes this is the last of the Bay era. They haven't announced any planned reboot though that's the popular assumption. I guess they still have a writers room working on story ideas for the franchise.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is meant to be a prequel to the Bay films- thus the car salesman dialogue from the first film in the trailer background, and The Last Knight's random Bumblebee-fought-Nazis-and-doesn't-remember flashback/subplot.

The forthcoming animated Cybertron prequel (sometimes referred to as "Transformers One") has been said both to be connected to the movieverse and not, so hard to say where that goes.

They have numerous other writers room films plotted out for the movieverse- which included BB, TLK & TFO. So, if there is a reboot, you might get some kind of weird half-relaunch since any reworked continuity films would likely still have some lingering carryover plot threads (like Hulk to The Incredible Hulk).

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Bobby Bolivia aka Bernie Mac
    RIP @};-

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really like the BumbleBee trailer. It has that E.T./Iron Giant feel to it. Additionally, I like seeing BumbleBee as an actual VW Bug. And yes, the sound effects and the manner of Bee's transformation gives the G1 cartoon feels. Additionally, the look and size of Bee is so G1, and not that Bayformers/Bionicles look.

The trailer sold me.

cerealbox and Deliveranze like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Bubblebee hiding from the girl and then moving his face to touch her hands is brilliant. Give the Transformers non racist personalities and keep the human element to a minimum. That's all you have to do.

I hope it's just bad trailer editing and not the final dialogue when the girl asks Bee if he could talk and he shakes his head no, then she asks him name. He's not going to say his name if he can't talk.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I didn't catch that. But, it would be nice if they can fix that in post.

I also hope the film can pull off the 80s vibe like Stranger Things. I'd imagine besides the Rick Roll there will be plenty of 80's tunes, perhaps where Bee first hears the Cars' Who's Gonna Drive You Home, which he plays for Sam years later. Connective threads.

Great fan service would be Stan Bush's The Touch.

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right and John Cena's character is a member of Sector Seven.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bumblebee could be an interesting continuity glitch if since it's meant to be a prequel but they end up restarting the franchise free of continuity from the Bay films anyway. Unless Bumblebee time travels at the end like Old Spock to reset the timeline. Which is not out of the realm of possibility in the Transformers franchise!

Anyway, that Toys that Made Us Transformers episode is a solid watch, S2 Ep 2 on the Netflixs if anyone is looking for it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    cerealbox and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. If you read what Brian Goldner said in that link I provided, he's not thinking about a reboot with this. Just doing something that's more for the fans, which is what this film is. I wager that down the line, they'll return to the time period after TLK and wrap up that storyline.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I hope BumbleBee is awesome and is a huge box office success. So much so, that it does become a soft reboot like X-Men: First Class and just makes Transformers films in the 1980s or 1990s at the latest.

cerealbox likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the pre-TF1 backstory continuity is utter rubbish in the films already, so fitting in even more Transformers into the pre-TF1 time period really can't do any harm, at the very least.

24. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    With a new film coming out, I feel it's time to revisit or visit the movies. Loved G1 and Beast Wars as a child and enjoyed the 2007 film however Revenge of the Fallen soured my interest in the rest of the series. I'll be seeing the others for the first time over the next few days.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000