main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Transformers. More than meets the eye!

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Jan 7, 2006.

1. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Disregarding the G1 cartoon is like disregarding ANH in the SW canon.
    It was the original, and best.
    It did the business, and it did it first - it doesn't matter if a great deal of that fondness is fuelled by nostalgia.
    If the film-makers have a savvy bone in them they will be able to make an original movie which will still tap into that sense of nostalgia - you can balance the two.
    It doesn't have to be one or the other.

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Let's just hope that they don't look to the various Transformers series of the last couple years for inspiration of any kind. After Beast Wars ended, Transformers became dead to me. :(

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Me too. I don't think I've regarded anythign after BW as canon in a long time.

4. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    How could anyone when there's been 52 different Optimus, Starscreams, Megatrons, and Hot Shots? When the storyline has changed 3 times with no continuity whatsoever.

Nevermind the blasphemy of turning the Transformers into a generic Poke-mon hunk of crap.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Preciesly. BW was continuity paradise and one of the finest animated series of all time.

Amrada/Energon/Cyberton share very little in common, despite them supposed to be the same continuity.

I may love anime, but the American TF series>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The anime series.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Simon Furman is involved as a creative consultant for the film. Since he's produced some good comic stories, I think we should have a good script in the offering. And as to the animated film, while it wasn't a huge box office success, it was still a good film and well recieved by the fans. Some fans were mad that their favorites from seasons one and two were killed, but that was more of an executive decision of Hasbro. They stopped putting out the originals not long after the film hit, so to account for their absence, we get their deaths. Optimus Prime was resurrected only because fans wanted him back. That's why all animated and toy versions feature an Optimus Prime/Primal. Power Master, Action Master, Generation 2, Beast Wars, Beast Machine, Robots In Disguise, Armada, Cybertron and Energon.

7. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I didn't mean it as in Cybertron and RiD (from which I got my AOL screenname). I mean as in Beast Machines and the sloppy pile of trash called Universe, even though I found Cybertron's plot somewhat cheesy at the beginning. I personally like seeing Optimus as a firetruck and at teh same time envision red truck transforming on the highway when I'm taking a long, boring drive between states.

Question for all of the vid geeks here: I've wanted to do a Starscream music vid to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars" ever since I first watched the episode "Possession" years ago. I have an electric keyboard that has the song in its songbank, 8 G1 VCD disks, TF:TM, and occassional access to Beast Wars DVD's. THe problem is that I have no idea how to take clips from these disks, get teh sound onto my computer, and make it all into a music vid. Can anybody help me? Oh, and it'd be fantastic to be able to use an altered version of the lyrics as subtitles.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    are any of the transformer shows like the original or beast wars on dvd?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep- both the original series and Beast Wars are all available on DVD.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    sweet. once i get some more money i'll have to pick them up

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Might wanna hurry, though. They've been out for a while, now.

12. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    And BM DVD's are coming out within a month, though I don't care about that eye sore.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Heh. I've got seaseons 1 and 2 of G1 and all 3 seasons of BW on DVD, as well as the Movie. Not sure if i'll ever get seasons 3 and 4 of G1, though.

14. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I actually picked up the whole of Season One (separate DVDs, not the boxset) for £15 in the Blockbuster sale at the weekend here in the UK.
    Bargain... :D

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Thirty bucks ain't bad. So far all I have is G1 Season 1 and G1 Season 2 part 1.

I'm going to try and find G1 Season 2, part 2 soon. Then go and buy the movie. Then finish up with seasons 3 and 4 because those are the most common dvd's to find.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i can't find season 1 anywhere :( if someone finds it at an online store let me know please![face_praying]

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I have the first three discs for Season One, the Movie, and the Season 3 Part 1 set. It's too expensive to go around buying the entire thing.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    how many discs total r in the season 1 set? i'd really like to get it if possible

19. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    There's 4. I sure wish Beast Wars was exported to China like Armada and G1.

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Hasbro's got Beast Wars webisodes. I have yet to see what they are and just to warn you, it's probably a pain to wait for knowing Hasbro's online vids.

http://www.hasbro.com/action/default.cfm?page=videos&brand_id=496

EDIT: Other than the frustrating speed, it's good. Well, at least teh Beast Wars and Cybertron stuff cuz rewatching BM reminded me of why I really hated the show other than Megatron's choice of sparks to corrupt.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i know we haven't heard anything about voices for the transformers but has there been word on casting for the humans in the movie?

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Nope, but I think that it's such an easy part that they'll put that last. I personally hope that if any of my favorites appear in teh movie (i.e. any flyer, Ironhide, Prowl, or Ratchet), they'll kill off at least one less guy than they did in the first movie.

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I LOVED the Transformers growing up. One of my all-time favorite cartoons and toys. That was back when Transformer toys were metal. You put the stickers on yourself. My son is totally into them now at almost 6 years old. His toys are cool but I'm not a big fan of the show. It's very much anime-stylized to me. The first show seemed so much more original.

24. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I view the different shows the same way I do various seasons of Digimon, with the exception of Beast Machines (death to anythign that happened there).

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, BM is the one exception to a rule I find works very well.

American TF>Japanese TF.

The G1 cartoon and comic series are so much more epic then the anime that I've seen. And the characters are so much more... identifiable to me. I mean, the Japanese TFs have no personality to me. Not even the Primes and Megatrons.

Hell, the second-stringers are better developed to me.