main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Transformers (With Screenshots & Links)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Twink_Kee, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Yeah, I hated Rodimus. Can't you tell?? :p

2. Darth was Mauled

Darth was Mauled Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    I am looking forward to this game. A good Transformers game is something I have been looking forward to my whole life. The only other Transformers game I can think of is for the NES, and that one ranks down there with Pit Fighter as one of the worst games in history.

3. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Yeah, that game was impossibly difficult and boring. The controls were awful, the bosses and levels were repetetive.

There was also a Headmasters game for the Famicom, but I've never played it.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Could someone enlighten me as to the nature of Headmasters? I don't remember seeing it.

All I know is that the 3-episode long 4th season of Transformers supposedly was a bridge story to the Headmasters series, which, from what I can tell, was a Japanese series that was brought over here and dubbed over.

5. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    There never really was a 4th season. Only about 4-5 episodes for the Headmasters/Powermasters/Targetmasters saga.

I really can't recall what was the deal involving the Transformers and the Nuklons (or whatever the hell their name was). I guess in theory the binary bonding between robot and humanoid makes for a more efficient robot warrior, but the whole thing was really just a gimmick to boost interest on the already sagging toy line.

6. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm afraid my addled, full-of-useless-info brain doesn't need to see many of the shows to remember trivial Transformers stuff. I guess I could even name most if not all of the Autobots and Decepticos up til the movie/season 3. Scary stuff...

Meh. Start getting scared when you can name every G1 and G2 transformer on sight, and say what year they were released in, as well as knowing which comics they showed up in.

The US Headmasters episodes - called 'Rebirth' pts 1-3 - are a stand alone end to the US series, and introduced some thirty new characters and a similar number of Nebulons in only an hour.

The Japanese Headmasters was a full series of 35 episodes which leads on from the third season of the series. Well, the second in Japan, and the first two US series were edited down to just one.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rebirth seems to be referred to as the 4th season in most episode guides I've googled, which is why I referred to it as such.

Was the 35 episode Headmasters series ever aired in the US? Or did it basicly end with rebirth? (I recall there was also a "5th season" that reruns of some episodes and the movie only with new Optimus intros or something "telling the story" as flashbacks or something like that)

8. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Was the 35 episode Headmasters series ever aired in the US? Or did it basicly end with rebirth?

Nope, the series basically ended with Rebirth. I'm nearly 100% certain that there was no new Transformers stuff on TV 'til Beast Wars came along.

Meh. Start getting scared when you can name every G1 and G2 transformer on sight, and say what year they were released in, as well as knowing which comics they showed up in.

I wouldn't go that far, but I could probably name most Transformers from seasons 1-3 without breaking a sweat. The ones that I always forget are the minibots or gestalt-form teams (i.e. Aerialbots, Stunt/Preda/Combat/Constructicons and the like). :p

9. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    All the Jap series were dubbed into english, but I don't know where they may have been shown, if at all. For all intents and purposes, USTF ended with Rebirth. There was a season 5, kind of, which was an assortment of episodes 'presented' by Powermaster Prime and a small child. There was also US Generation 2, which had a terrible 'hypercube' thing instead of the normal rotating symbols for scene change.

10. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    I remember that. The kid's name was Tommy, and he wore a denim Autobot jacket.

Hopefully, one day someone will subtitle the Japanese series (Scramble City, Headmasters, Super God Masterforce, Victory, and Zone) and release them on DVD here.

[Wishful thinking]Maybe Rhino will do it after they're finished with G1.[/Wishful thinking]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I'd rather them try to get back some of the original cast members and dub any Jap series that fits in with the US series, for continuity.

I mean, do you really want to READ what Optimus Prime is saying, or would you rather hear Peter Cullen again? ::)

12. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    The only other Transformers game I can think of is for the NES, and that one ranks down there with Pit Fighter as one of the worst games in history.
    There was also one for the Commadore 64. You had to run around getting energon cubes on Cybertron (at least that is where I think it was). You could control Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee, and Hound, and maybe a few others. It was fun at the time.

13. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Ok, so the US Transformers G1 series we saw was an American version or a Japanese dubbed version? The animation on that series was so-so sometimes that I find it hard to believe that it's "pure Japanese animé". Or was it made by a substandard animation studio? Like Jem's and G.I. Joe?

14. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001

[i]"I think I'd rather them try to get back some of the original cast members and dub any Jap series that fits in with the US series, for continuity."[/i][hr][/blockquote]

Oh, I would too. But I'd say the chances of them getting people like Cullen and as many original VAs as possible wouldn't seem likely. That's [color=green]$$[/color]

I'm no fan of subs, but I'd rather have subs in that case than horrible VAs that rape the spirit of the original characters.

[blockquote][hr][i]There was also one for the Commadore 64. You had to run around getting energon cubes on Cybertron (at least that is where I think it was). You could control Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee, and Hound, and maybe a few others. It was fun at the time. [hr][/i][/blockquote]

There were actually two different games for C64. One was a platformer, and the other one was made by Activision, entitle "The Battle for Cybertron". It was basically a shooting gallery game where you had to destroy Decepticon jets trying to steal energy sources. You had about 10 Autobots, and you had to deploy them over a map in different areas. It was pretty cool.

[blockquote][i][hr]Ok, so the US Transformers G1 series we saw was an American version or a Japanese dubbed version? The animation on that series was so-so sometimes that I find it hard to believe that it's "pure Japanese animé". Or was it made by a substandard animation studio? Like Jem's and G.I. Joe?[/i][hr][/blockquote]

The original G1 was an American-made series, and the Japanese later aired it with Japanese voice actors. The animation itself was done mostly by Toei animation (which I believe was Japan-based). The scripts and production were done by Sunbow in the States. But, for all intents and purposes, it was American made.

So America got the Transformers cartoon first, including the movie. When the series ended after season 2, Japan ignored Rebirth and did Headmasters. Oddly enough, I don't know who did the animation in Headmasters, but it closely matches Toei's animation.

15. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    let's also hope we get a gijoe game

Bone that would be awesome too.

And I heard that there are going to be 2 TF games.

16. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Yeah, but the other one is probably the Armada game. I'm willing to bet that, being done by Infogrames, it will have better gameplay than the G1 game.

17. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Another batch of screenshots:

HERE

I like this one:

[image=http://www.kenkon.com/g/albums/Transformers%20G%20Zero%20Screen%20Shot%202/GZero31.jpg]

and this one:

[image=http://www.kenkon.com/g/albums/Transformers%20G%20Zero%20Screen%20Shot%202/GZero18.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.