main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Triad Chronicles (Book III now in progress, OC's, Qui-Gon) ~~ Updated 4/11~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Force_Triad, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force_Triad

Force_Triad Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2006
    Title: The Triad Chronicles Book I: My Dreams Could Be Tomorrow
    Author:(s) Layren and Neon Star
    Summary: Always in motion is the future is a common Jedi teaching, but when destiny knocks on the Jedi Order's door, one little youngling discovers that is not always true and he must be ready for the destiny of a lifetime that awaits him. First in a multi-saga series.
    Genre: A little of everything, AU
    Timeframe: Varies through the series.
    Disclaimer: The Great Flanneled One owns all recognizable objects. The OC's belong to us :) Please ask before borrowing them :)
    Author Notes: This is completely different from our original Days Like These series. :) The first half of the beginning piece here is the only thing left of the old series, the rest has been entirely redone :) We do hope you enjoy this latest rendition. Feedback is greatly appreciated and strongly encouraged :)
    Author Note Addendum: We're keeping everything here in one thread if it goes with the Triad series. Prequels and other projects with the Force_Triad sock are stand alone, with no prior reading of this series as necessary. Hope we didn't confuse anyone too much :D
    Special thanks to Lord_Timotheus for the wonderful cover art!
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Layren/Pics%20Tim%20made/triadchron.jpg]

Prologue: Servants of the Force

'Tis all a chequer board of nights and days, where destiny with men for pieces plays; Hither and thither, and mates, and slays. ~Edward Fitzgerald

[i]
    Dawn of the Jedi Order
    [/i]
    He looked out over the vast landscape of Coruscant, eyes roving over the slowly building cityscape around the Temple, and the grass lands beyond. This was the sight of the new government, a thousand years in the making, only a short decade old. This was also the sight of their slowly organizing faith.

The Jedi had been around for longer then this Republic; far longer, but never had they stepped from the shadows and gathered together, making themselves truly known to the galaxy. The underground religion as it had once been called was finally centering itself, on this fledgling world, right beside the growing government.

"Magnificent, isn't it, brother?" a voice purred in his ear, as a familiar sense flooded around him.

Smiling a little, he turned to meet matching blue-green eyes, set in a face that was a mirror of his own.

"Jerric, I didn't know you were back. How did it go?" he grasped his twin's forearms tightly looking intently into his twin's face.

"Well, very well. I managed to find a sect in the Morith system. They're agreeing to send representatives to meet with the others here. Soon, we'll truly be the order we dreamed of, Merrick," Jerric stated.

The younger grinned, before pulling his brother into an embrace, "That's wonderful. Have you told Master Sani yet?"

The older shook his head, "I wanted to see you first. Being gone for nearly six months is far too long, dearest."

Merrick laughed a little, "I'm glad for that," he pulled away finally, letting him go, "I did miss you..."

Something dark flickering in those orbs alerted the older that something was wrong, "Not just because I was gone, though. What happened, Merrick?"

Merrick turned away, one hand toying with his thick, long brown-blond hair, "I had that dream again, often while you were away."

There was tension now, between them. Jerric knew what he meant, that dream seemed to come more often this last year, since they came to Coruscant, and started to help build this Order.

"It's always the same, that three-sided triangle of fire, ice, and life, twisting, burning in my mind. Then that light, that bright, all consuming, all seeing light that fills me with as much dread as it does peace... And in the midst of it, I'm starting to be able to see something within that light, a shape, and outline of a person... The dream is getting clearer, Jerric, but I still don't know what it means, except that it

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    So nice to see another story by you! :D Please put me on the PM list. :p

=D=

3. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    OOH!

this is really different! I can't wait to see where this goes and the new material! Lovely stuff, guys.

ready for the ride! :D

-Krystal

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That is quite different. I liked the visions of the future with both the Jedi and the Sith.

I especially liked this.

"It's always the same, that three-sided triangle of fire, ice, and life, twisting, burning in my mind. Then that light, that bright, all consuming, all seeing light that fills me with as much dread as it does peace... And in the midst of it, I'm starting to be able to see something within that light, a shape, and outline of a person... The dream is getting clearer, Jerric, but I still don't know what it means. Except that it means something to this Order," Merrick said softly, voice barely above a whisper.

Great job so far.

5. mari4212

mari4212 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2006
    Oooh.

*bounces excitedly* This? Is cool. Nice backstory, wonderful setup for the next bit.

I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    meep! I am here, and I am reading. :) Intriguing beginning, I'm liking what I see so far. It will be very interesting to see where this goes. Considering, you know, I've yet to read the originals. I think I'll let myself be surprised. :D

7. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Oooh. I can see where this is already going differently than the original.

I like it. Through Theron, you've made the Sith more accessible, more, well, human if you will, even if he's not.

Can't wait for more!

8. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    VaderLVR64 We think it's nice too ;) Very glad you're on board for this one, and you're on the PM list :D Now you can read the story from the beginning this time ;)

KrystalBlaze YAY!! New reader happy dance!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] We hope you stick with us for the ride, it's been great fun, hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Dianethx Visions are going to play a big part in this story as you'll see :D Glad you liked that section, I was rather fond of it myself when Neon wrote it :D She wrote the opening post all on her own as Theron and Merrick both belong to her :) Glad you're still with us! Thanks so much for sticking around!

mari4212 Yep the background is indeed a set up for how things are going to play in the future :D

Commander-DWH YAY! Now you don't have to do a marathon read of the old series since it got scrapped ;) At least we saved you 600 pages of printer paper and ink ;) As far as where this will go, well we hope even Diane will be surprised, and she's been here from the first post of the original book 1 :D

Lithiniel Whoops, didn't mean to leave you out! Sorry about that, I really should pay more attention when I'm doing replies and not do them before I rush out the door for church [face_blush] As far as Theron, yes, we have ;) Even Palpatine was able to seem human to those he manipulated...Theron has to be able to seem human also. We're going to really deviate from the original in practically every way possible, so hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for your comments everyone! We really appreciate them and they inspire us greatly to keep going :D

Saren Wordlist:

Nissan= Older brother
    Nihan= younger brother
    Mahte= Mother
    Nite'= brother of the heart
    ke'nite'= sworn brother of the heart

Chapter One: Interwoven

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman

He shivered curling further against his nite', as the white snow blew outside their small, broken down dwelling. The snores of his supposed fellow orphans rose in the air, creating a harsh symphony of exhaustion, brought by hunger, and the cold.

By all rights he should have been asleep as well and had been some time before, but worry and that dream had woken him. Worry, for the two missing ones of their group, his older brother, and Jer'en. Both had left earlier that evening, determined to get something to eat, before another one of their gang died. They had already buried two in the last few weeks. One from the cold, the other had been caught by the guards while trying to steal and had paid for it. Starvation made one weak, and desperate.

He sighed suppressing a whimper as chill air cut into his throat as he exhaled. He focused away from it; he didn't want to think about the death that had become his life since nearly after birth. He preferred the dream to his reality.

That odd dream of being lost, alone in the wreckage and ruin of his world, without his brother or his ke'nite' or even sadistic Jer'en, alone, as he had never been, with only the darkness and the death around him, trying to consume him, till light. Bright, beautiful light, as golden as the sun. And in the midst of that light a boy, hair as shining as the light he was in, tan of skin, with lively green eyes, and no wings, which had been as odd as the hair itself. He knew him as human, only humans could have such hair and be wingless.

It was a familiar dream, an old one, from the time he was an infant, till now. He had long since named the boy in his mind, truly, faithfully believing him to be Sala'ne' incarnate, even without his wings.

Keeping that image in his mind, he smiled a little, relaxing as he started to slip back into sleep, only to awaken at the feel of a rough hand on his arm, before strong limbs picked him up, cradling him against a wet, cold chest.

Looking up, he caught his brother's mismatched blue and gray eyes, as he heard Jer'en yelling to the others to get up. The faint sounds of blaster fire and explosions were near

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful post! =D=

Till light. Bright, beautiful light, as golden as the sun. And in the midst of that light, a boy, hair as shining as the light he was in, tan of skin, with lively green eyes. And no wings. Which had been as odd as the hair itself. He knew him as human, only humans could have such hair and be wingless.

It was a familiar dream, an old one, from the time he was a infant, till now. He had long since named the boy in his mind, truly, faithfully believing him to be Sala'ne' incarnate, even without his wings.

Loved this. =D=

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I really, really like this story!! Some parts are confusing, especally the relationships among the winged kids, but I'm very interested :D I take it that the Jedi and his brother in the prologue have been dead for several thousand years?

If you're doing update PMs, I'd like to get them, please :)

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Some parts are confusing, especally the relationships among the winged kids,

:oops: Sorry about that Nat! I forgot to put the word translations in when I was putting the post up this morning. It's been added now and hopefully it makes more sense :D

12. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Wow. That's a very good post.

I like how you're getting more into the culture of the Sora'sa...

And isn't little Kyran cute? Just adorable! (Too bad he has to grow up... *ducks*) ;)

13. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    VaderLVR Thank you! We're glad you're enjoying it :)

NYCitygurl YAY! New reader happy dance! [face_dancing][face_dancing] Really sorry I forgot to put the translations in! I hope they make more sense now :D As far as the Jedi and his brother being dead for a really long time... well, you'll just have to wait and see ;) Can't really answer without giving something away :p You've been added to our list :D

lithiniel Glad you liked the culture of Saren ;) And Ky is awfully cute, and he's mortally offended that you think he could ever not be ;)

Chapter Two: On the Paths of Fate

"There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures." ~ William Shakespeare

Kyran was playing at the low table in the crèche in the art area. He was busy gluing a sculpture out of legimine noodles together and he was up to his elbows in the pasta. He had noodles stuck to his face from where he had swiped at an itch earlier and had forgotten to wipe his hands and glue and bits of pasta under his fingernails, but he did not care that he was filthy; he was having an extremely good time with his project.

The door to the crèche swished open and the familiar tap, tap, of Yoda's gimmer stick as the small master entered the crèche. Kyran paid the sound no attention, gluing away at his pasta sculpture. Yoda's presence in the crèche was not something to be awed at. He taught initiate's classes frequently and he often came to check to see how things were down in the crèche. It wasn't until he reached for more pasta that he realized the Master was right beside him.

"Hello, Master Yoda," he said beaming. "See my sculpture," he added pointing.

The Master's ears twitched and he smiled, "See it I do, fine artist you will be," he said nodding. "Hrm.. fine one."

Kyran grinned happily, pleased at the Master's compliment. "Thank you," he said blushing.

Yoda regarded him for a few moments before he said, "Come with me, Initiate Josel," the Master said before moving away.

Kyran looked up frowning, but he did as he was told, without question.

"Master Anya," Yoda spoke to the crèche Master, who was looking bewildered. "Take Initiate Josel and clothes for him pack for at least a week long trip."

"But Master Yoda," the Master protested, "He's much too young to be venturing out of the Temple."

Yoda stared at her, unmoving. "Destiny he must fulfill. Seen it I have, will of the Force, this is."

The crèche Master glanced at the initiate still uncertain before Yoda said again, "Clothes for him pack, quickly you must. Wait this cannot."

Kyran was confused. What destiny did he have to fulfill? He shook his head. His dreams of the boy with wings had long since faded and he had no reason to think he was anything particularly special. He was scared, but excited also; venturing out of the Temple for the first time, sounded appealing.

Master Anya did not protest further at those words, she merely took Kyran by the hand and led him to his small room where she began packing. "Little one I don't know what Yoda intends but you must obey him or whoever you are with on this journey, do you understand?"

Kyran nodded solemnly. "I will," he said. "I promise." He paused before he continued, "I'll need something to do on the trip won't I?" he asked watching her pack.

"I'm not sure little one," She admitted, "But just in case gather your books for your lessons and I'll pack you some things to do."

The rest of the packing did not take long. Once that was finished, she helped Kyran clean the glue off from his face and his fingernails. "You got rather messy didn't you? I'll save your sculpture so it will be here when you come back," she said and Kyran beamed at her as the sonic drying unit dried him off. The Master pushed the button to levitate the suitcase a

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the translations; they make everything easier :)

The part about the pasta art was very cute :) I'm a little wary about this planet, though apparently they'll be looking for the little winged boy. I'm really curious to find out why, and why he and Kyran bonded. How old is Kyran at this point, by the way, and how much pre-TPM is this? Was the vision of the burning temple from ROTS?

Very excited for the next part :D

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, dear they are taking a young one with them into that kind of danger. I certainly understand Yoda thinking this is a good idea but the Masters may be right. They will have to watch Kyran closely if he is to survive.

Good job.

16. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Nifty. Can't wait for the next installment... :)

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Another great chapter! :D

Yoda stared at him, unblinkingly, his ears twitching slightly. "Now see you do. Your choice, this is not."

Struggling to catch his breath, Zephir stared at Kyran for a moment, "This little one can stop that?"

Kyran looked at Zephir with large green eyes wondering why he was being stared at. The Master's were talking away from him and in voices that were low so that he could not hear. Or maybe they were using the Force to keep him from eavesdropping on them.

"Not him alone, apart of something larger he is," Yoda replied calmly.

I hope this will turn out all right. [face_worried]

=D=

18. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    NYCitygurl I'm glad you liked it, Ky is very cute isn't he? ;) You should be worried about Saren, it's not a nice place at all. As far as why Kyran and him have already bonded -- that will be revealed in time :D And yes that vision of the Temple burning was indeed from Revenge of the Sith :) This is going to be a lengthy fic :p Thanks so much for your comments! We really appreciate them!

Dianethx Yoda really doesn't have much of a choice if he wants the Order to survive ;) As far as Kyran's safety on Saren, yes they'll have to be very vigilante, that's for sure. Thanks for your review! You always have such nice comments :D

Lithiniel Well, here's more for you! :)

VaderLVR Thanks glad you liked it! As far as if it will turn out... well you'll just have to see ;)

Chapter Three: This Way Could Be My Journey

"The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created--created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating." ~ Author Unknown

Zephir boarded the vessel, gently leading the little one along as he made his way to the cockpit. He knew full well that Drex would not be pleased about this new development, just as he was not. And he would have to find some way to explain it...

"It's about time," Drex said, his back turned to Zephir from where he was sitting at the controls. "I was beginning to wonder if I'd have to carry you on board."

"Sorry, Master Yoda and I were having a discussion," Zephir stated, tone a little strained, though he smiled to Kyran. "You had better go get settled in, kidling. We'll be leaving soon. You can go pick out a cabin for yourself while Master Rixar and I talk."

Kyran did as he was told though he wanted to stay and listen in on their conversation. There was heaviness in his chest instead of the excitement he thought he would feel going on a knight's mission out of the Temple for the first time. Neither party really wanted him along. They had no choice but to take him. That made everything different. He gave a small sigh; his depression short lived as he wandered about the ship. What was a cabin? He had no idea how to find one. He had never been on a ship before.

"Kidling?" Drex scowled and turned around to give a smart aleck remark but as he swiveled in his chair he caught sight of Kyran's retreating form and his jaw dropped. "What is he doing here?" he asked, darkly.

"Master Yoda ordered that he be taken with us, and I had to agree," Zephir had to grimace a little.

"Well we'll just have to disobey Master Yoda's order's this time," Drex said, his eyes darkening as he made sure the boy was fully out of earshot. "He can't come with us to Saren, Zephir! You of all people agreeing to bring this boy with us... it will sign his death sentence and I..." he stopped, his face paling a little before he turned away abruptly. He would not be responsible for the death of another innocent. He could not bear it.

Zephir's eyes darkened, in both worry and understanding, "If I could refuse, I would. But I cannot in this case.... That boy is no ordinary child."

Drex said nothing to that; he merely focused on what was in front of him. It had only been two years since his own apprentice had been killed, taken from him due to his own carelessness....he could not do this. He would not be responsible for the death of one so young.

Zephir laid a hand on his shoulder, "This little one won't die, Drex. We will not allow it, and Saren is a foe we both know well."

Drex took a deep breath and then another. He had to pull himself together. Ren was gone and there was nothing he could do to bring him back. He had to move forward. "So you say...."

"So I know both because I know Saren itself, and because Yoda has shown me," Zephir was a little hesitant.

Drex arched a brow at him, frowning. "What has he shown you?"

"My words would not give the horror that I felt upon seeing it

19. Lithiniel

Jun 26, 2006
    Oooh....very nice.

Is Drex's icy heart starting to melt a little?

Is Zephir finding himself interested in Kyran as a Padawan sometime in the future?

I guess time will tell. I'm liking this more and more. Better idea of what's going on this time. Rewrites can be well worth the effort on occasion....

Hey, add me to the PM list, if you would be so kind. ;)

THX!

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked the legend to help explain things. Poor Kyran to think that Drex doesn't like him. I found that Kyran's reaction about being scary to be cute. I just hope that they can protect Kyran once they get there and can get Shane out when they find him.

Good job.

21. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay I caught up! :D

I must say, I'm very intrigued and very statisfied with the rewrite. I feel that a lot more depth is being explored, and I absolutely adore how Shane's background is being fleshed out. And little Kyran is oh so cute.

Excellent job, ladies! I can't wait to read the rest.

-Krystal

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Another great update. For some reason, I always particularly love the chapter endings. NOT because it's over :p but because it always leaves me with a feeling of anticipation for the next chapter. :)

Kyran didn't ask what happened after that, he was already asleep, lulled by the sound of the Master's voice, his breathing deep and even.

Zephir smiled warmly, and tucked the blanket a little tighter around the small boy, before he stood to leave. They would soon be there, so he took comfort in what peace they had left.

Wonderful. =D=

23. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I am enjoying the story so far. I love the characters they do draw you in. Please add me to your update list.

I am new to fan fiction and really don't know much of the Star Wars universe outside of the movies. I can see this story will teach me a lot about the planets within the galaxy. Saran sounds like a scary place. I am sorry any child has to be born there much less go and visit.

24. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Lithiniel Is it? You'll just have to see ;) As far as Zephir taking Kyran as a padawan -- we can't reveal too early :) What would be the fun in that? But there's definitely some bonding going on there, I think. Very glad you're enjoying the rewrite :D You've been added to the list, thanks for your comments!

Dianethx Glad you liked the legend, it also hints at things to come ;) Kyran and Drex never have had a really good relationship, unfortunately, but maybe this time things will be better? :) We really appreciate your reviews!

KrystalBlaze I'm so glad you caught up! Very glad you're satisfied with the rewrite and we are definitely doing things more in depth than we were before and better integrating our plot, and of course little Ky is cute ;) He can't lose that cuteness :D Here's more for you :) Thanks for commenting!

VaderLVR We had noticed that you often quoted the end of the chapter ;) At least you don't like it just cause it's over ;) Here's more for you :D Thanks for replying! We appreciate it very much :)

PrincessChattyCathy Glad to see you finally got over here :D See, fanfiction is fun! We're glad you like the characters, we love them too. Saren Seven actually is entirely made up and doesn't exist in the canon universe at all and it is a very bad place, as you'll see in this post. Thanks so much for your comments!

Chapter Four: Fateful Glimmers

The fire is the main comfort of the camp, whether in summer or winter, and is about as ample at one season as at another. It is as well for cheerfulness as for warmth and dryness. ~Henry David Thoreau

~*~

Drex glanced up at him as he came back in. "Is he asleep now?"

Zephir nodded, settling back into his own seat, "Yes, he is."

Drex was chewing on the end of a stylus as he worked. "Good." He sighed deeply. "Having him around makes me unable to concentrate like I should," he looked down at his datapad, his gaze distant.

Zephir looked at him for a long time, before sighing. He couldn't say anything to that, as he knew what was truly bothering his old friend. Things seemed so silent, without Ren around.

Drex blew out a long, slow breath, before he shut down his datapad. He couldn't work anymore. Not on this. "I'm going to go do at least some stretches."

Zephir nodded, "Very well. If you want to practice some, just ask."

"I would but it's close quarters, Zephir, you don't usually like close quarters combat," Drex said running a hand through his hair. "At most we'd have a small room to work with. Why don't we meditate instead?"

"An excellent suggestion as we'll both need the peacefulness before we get there," Zephir replied..

"Why don't we go meditate in the observation gallery?" he was grateful to what his friend was allowing. He needed the comfort that meditation would bring him. Even with the little one around the silence inside his mind was deafening.

"That would be best," Zephir agreed, rising from his place. He smiled a little. "Just lead the way."

Drex clapped him on the back. "Thank you, old friend."

~*~

The next day Kyran was doing his lessons, practicing his handwriting as Master Anya had told him. His tongue was sticking out as he concentrated on making the letter that started his name.

Zephir watched him from where he was supposed to be reading. Yet again, the boy captured his attention, over the mind numbing political advances on this or that issue within the North, or South of Saren.

Carefully Kyran printed the letters in his name, the way Master Anya had showed him. After some time, he had finished and had completed his full name several times; he sat up, tired from concentrating so hard but pleased with his efforts. He tilted his head looking at his work. It looked nice. He could be done now.

Returning to his reading, Zephir smiled a little, feeling the boy's pride at accomplishing what he had set out to do. It was something of a refreshing breeze of pure emotion. Unlike the thickness of old past and tension that c

25. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay! Now they're on Saren!

Now comes the action! Or I hope... lovely interaction between Ky and Zephir. If only Drex would open up a bit. Silly Drex.

Will await eagerly for the next installment! :)

-Krystal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.