main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Trials

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by dv001m, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv001m

dv001m Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2003
    What are the Trials anyway? I mean, I know they're what an apprentice takes before he/she can become a Jedi Knight, but what do they consist of? Does the EU have anything to say about it? What's the deal?

2. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I think that this thread doesn't belong here. Try this forum! :)

Star Wars Saga

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Weirdo: No, this thread is definitately ok right where it is. ;) :)

Thing is, I can't find any EU or film material to provide official information on the trials. The best I could do is make an assumption from the little we already know, which I doubt will answer your question. I'll keep looking though, although it doesn't ring a bell right away. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

4. dv001m

Jun 22, 2003
    I had this in SW Saga first, but was locked and directed here.

All I know is that in TPM, Obi-Wan said he was ready to take the Trials. That's all we hear. We hear Anakin mention it in passing in AOTC, but nothing is elaborated on. Maybe I'll post a question in the SW.com Ask the Jedi Council section.

Either way, any information that you can pass along would be great.

5. Muasue

Muasue Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    There's a site I go to called Starwars.com

Go there and you'll find what you're looking for...I'm sure you will.

6. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    Sorry about the link thing. I hesitated. But to this subject I think one possibility would be to Ask The LucasFilm Cedi Council!

I think the trials would be close to the "Cave" in ESB. One must handle with one's fear, to "know the good side from the bad".

7. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    well if some one finds it let me know

8. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    but how will I kno wthe good side from the bad?

9. masterPloKoon-6981

masterPloKoon-6981 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    it probably has something to do with lightsaber dueling with another padawan and utilizing the Force to perform certain tasks.

10. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Ok, this is what I gather.

In Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, a Padawan by the name of Darsha Assant must complete a mission, on her own, which will finalize her transition into Knighthood. I'm guessing that, because it would complete her apprentice training, that this mission would be considered her "trials".

I'm thinking that the misconception is that the trials are a concrete thing- sort of like an "obstacle course" of Force-use, lightsaber skills, and physical prowess. However, I think that the trials are actually actually different for each person (this proven in the Jedi Academy trilogy when Luke announces Kyp's trials complete and explains a bit about how they are different for everyone; however I'm not regarding this information in reference to this question since I assume that, since they are only mentioned in the Prequel films thus far anyways, that you mean the Jedi trials for the old Order).

So my thought on the concept is that the trials is a set mission or situation that one must face and complete. Perhaps aspects of the Dark Side are included, in which, to pass and actually complete the mission, one must resist the temptations prove themselves worthy of Knighthood. ;) :)

11. Knightstorme

Knightstorme Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Ken Kenobi hit it right on the head.

12. dv001m

Jun 22, 2003
    KK, you've done your homework...very nice. Thank you for that answer!

13. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Homework, schomework. I live for this stuff. ;) :)

14. dv001m

Jun 22, 2003
    I think that really makes sense though. The Trials are different for every Jedi. Since every Jedi won't be faced with a "by-the-book" situation that they can handle step-by-step, it would make sense that each individual Jedi would be tested on a personal level like that.

Any ideas what the Trials may have been like for Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Dooku, Yoda, Mace, etc.? What are everyone's thoughts on that...given what we know about their characters.

15. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

16. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    The trials can be compared to boy/girl scout training. I think that making a lightsaber counts as one. There is also many others such as what Anakin did in TPM, with the jedi screen and doing a mission without the help of back-up like in Shadow Hunter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.