main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Triple A Fatigue and the Soul Draining Disappointment of Being a Modern Filmgoer

Discussion in 'Community' started by ArtSchmo, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Are you suffering from "Triple-A Fatigue"?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. ArtSchmo

ArtSchmo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2015
    I hate movies. Almost, anyway.

Over the last couple of years, western filmmaking had grown into this huge pulsating, grotesque, soul-sucking, joyless mass of cold business decisions that's killing all enjoyment I used to have for going to the movies.

The motion picture theatre used to be this magical place where you could go a few times a year to escape reality. To distract yourself from the obvious fact that you have no real life at all and would rather watch other people act out great fantastical adventures on screen so that you won't ever have to.

Now, it's become a ****ing endurance round. Every movie that's coming out is so mind bogglingly big, bloated and obtuse with their ludicrously expensive marketing campaigns and production budgets equivalent to one quarter of a small island nation's yearly GDP.

Let that sink in for a moment.
    THAT. IS. RIDICULOUS.

Nobody has new, fresh, or interesting ideas anymore. Nobody cares to create new fictional universes filled with fascinating concepts, daring, genre-breaking ideas and multi-layered characters. Nobody wants to break the rules.

Everything has to be by the pocket book and stock numbers. If you have an original idea for a film that does not have anything to do with a previously successful and established product, no one will find you because nobody wants to take ****ing risks.

I hate this single-minded mentality that has taken over all facets of art and creativity now, from movies to music, to video games, and beyond. But then, we do live in a disgusting free market capitalist zeitgeist, so I guess I shouldn't expect anything more.

If you feel at all the same frustration I do, I implore you to PLEASE support the little guy. Small filmmakers, writers, artists, game studios, the works. These are the people with new ideas and fresh products. You're not gonna find that in the movie theatre anymore.

Let me know your thoughts on the subject if you have any.

Rant over. Thank you. Goodbye. The end.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Man goes to wrong theater

Rogue1-and-a-half and jp-30 like this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I agree that many films are vacuous, leaning almost entirely on snappy dialogue in place of character or plot. That said? You sound quite overwrought. There are plenty of quality films still being produced. Eye in the Sky is one recent entry.

Then, too, older pictures were never really that profound. It's a bunch of photos pushed across a screen real fast. Let's get a grip here.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I have seen many great films in recent years. It's an overly pessimistic post in my opinion.

7. ArtSchmo

May 2, 2015
    Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just so jaded that I can't even be bothered to check any new films out anymore.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So you don't like the films you haven't bothered to check out?

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know what Triple A fatigue is, but I'm glad I don't have Triple H fatigue.

[​IMG]

Master_Lok and ArtSchmo like this.
  10. ArtSchmo

May 2, 2015
    Just expressing a personal opinion here, buddy. But then, I sometimes forget that it's not okay to have any opinions on the Internet, especially if they deviate from the dominant view on any given subject.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    ArtSchmo, just stop going to superhero movies. Voila, cured.

GregMcP, jp-30 and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. ArtSchmo

May 2, 2015
    I'm not going to superhero movies. I haven't seen a single superhero film since 2008's Dark Knight.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's always the best of times and the worst of times.

In any given year, the sci fi entertainment genre is at least 80% crap. And yet, once in a generation, we get the Battlestar Galactica mini-series/pilot, or World of Tomorrow, the best sci fi movie of the last 20 years.

Recently, there's been craptastic stuff like Ridley Scott's Prometheus and fantastic stuff like Under the Skin or Ex Machina.

On the one hand, there are terrible, vastly overbudgeted empty-headed comic book superhero movies like eveything that Marvel does. On the other hand, there is true garbage like Batman vs. Superman on the D.C. side.

So. There's always something. You an depend on that.

the SuperW always writes exactly the right thing at the exactly the right time. He's like the script of The Graduate.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The smaller artists can make stuff that is just as derivative and unoriginal as their big studio counterparts. You brought up game studios as an example. There's a whole load of trash coming from indie game developers every year.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree that most big-budget films are empty and cynical cash-ins that make use of whatever IP the studio bought, but I think there are plenty of smaller movies that are good (though no, nowhere near all of them). And the big-budget films can be good if they're driven by someone who's ambitious and capable.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  17. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Movies have always been about the bottom line. every once in a while the execs somehow manage to allow someone enough freedom to make something decent, or someone scrapes together enough funding to do it themselves, but that's in spite of the system.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sad Afleck, couldn't have put it better himself

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Look at the young film makers and writers out there. Mommy and daddy will pay for everything when I'm in school and still pay for everything when I'm done with school. Just like the films, no accountability.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    sometimes I worry that the logistics of making Very Big Movies gets in the way of telling a good story. I remember watching all those amazing production videos about the making of the Hobbit "trilogy." You could almost see the moment when the movie got buried under all the frenzied and tactically intricate things going on to get it made.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I hardly even watch stuff in theaters these days, the last one I saw was TFA over Christmas, and I wasn't impressed at all. The last one before that was Deathly Hallows Part 2, which disappointed me due to the rather frustrating deviation from the books at the end. I have generally been enjoying the superhero stuff, at least from Marvel, but I haven't been worried about following them very closely.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    We have to teach ArtSchmo the art of schadenfreude.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Who was it who was promoting the idea that we owe it to the studios to see these $250 million budget action adventure movies because so many people worked so very hard and spent so much money to make them? Not buying a product hurts the feelings of its manufacturer. I think that was the argument.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I remember that, but I do not remember the who. Whom?

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it was in the Batman vs Superman thread.