main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tristan Betrayal (A/P, L/M, OC's) *Sequel to Will of the Force* Complete 2015

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Sep 4, 2012.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Cushing's Admirer-Thanks. :) For a while, I wondered myself if it was going to be abandoned. Thankfully, I was able to come back to it.

Jedi_Tyler Thanks. Yeah, I think Arik is the most like Anakin. As for him walking away from Padme; there's a divide in their thinking as it relates to what is best for the Republic. It's a large divide.

Nyota's Heart-Thank you. Glad you like it. :)

Chapter 41

One Year Later

Jabiim

Over the past year, as Anakin feared, the Jedi had been pulled once again into the conflict between the Republic and the planets that wished to be free of its governance. With every step he took into the renewed tension-filled galaxy, he recalled memories of Obi-Wan and their missions together during the Clone Wars.

Clonetroopers under Anakin’s command were attempting to take control of Razor Coast, which had been seized weeks before by Separatist forces. The fighting was intense; as intense as any he could remember from the Clone Wars. Blaster and cannon fire were coming in at them from all directions. Anakin deflected as much as possible with his lightsaber.

Tristan, a year into his knighthood, fought beside his former teacher. The twenty-two-year old young man was caked in mud from the near-constant rainfall that plagued Jabiim. His shaggy, shoulder-length hair was in his eyes, impeding his vision at times.

But he was fast and strong. Tristan’s skills with his lightsaber surpassed nearly all in the Jedi Order except Anakin, Yoda and Mace. Blaster fire that Anakin failed to block, Tristan did.

Skywalker and Kenobi. They still made a good team.

On the opposite end of Razor Coast, Garen and Arik were edging closer to the Separatist stronghold. Garen, like Anakin, had never wished for Tristan, Arik or anyone else to witness the horrors of war as they had faced. Yet, here they were, lightsabers flashing amongst soldiers with blasters, battle droids; all manner of evil at their booted feet.

Arik, now fifteen years of age and fully recovered from his wounds, had grown in height and skill. His voice had deepened into that of a young man.

“I can see my father, Master!” Arik yelled over the rain for Garen to hear him as they approached the stronghold.

As the clonetroopers gained the upper hand, Anakin and Tristan charged forward to assist Garen and Arik in their secondary mission, which was the capture of the commander of the Separatist forces on Jabiim. The man was cocooned in the center of the stronghold where he believed he was safe.

Tristan swung wide towards the front of the stronghold, saber swinging in a high arc, deflecting blaster fire as he took step after step.

“Behind you!” Tristan heard Arik yell.

Tristan dove for the sand as a cannon blast barely missed him. He was about to stand when his caught sight of the man Garen and Arik were supposed to capture. Anakin sensed the danger before he felt it.

Garen had been creeping up on one side, which left a blind spot. He stepped around a corner and was instantly met with blaster fire.

Anakin turned on his heel and ran towards Garen.

Tristan leapt up and lunged for the older man.

Arik was stunned; not able to move. He watched his father and pseudo-brother try to save Garen.

But the Chosen One and his former apprentice were a step too slow; a breath too far away.

Garen raised his lightsaber a moment too late. Blaster fire slammed into his chest. He was lifted from his feet by the force of the shots.

“Garen!” Anakin yelled as he knelt next to his friend.

Tristan, and now Arik, continued to deflect blaster bolts while the clonetroopers managed to finally subdue the fighting force. They placed the commander, Kevram Malak under arrest for war crimes.

“An…Ani,” Garen gasped as he gripped Anakin’s mechanical hand.

Tears had already gathered in Anakin’s blue eyes. He’d said too many goodbyes already to friends and colleagues, yet here was another, more painful than most.

“I’m here, my friend,” Anakin said softly.

He reached out with his flesh and blood hand and rested it on Garen’s forehead, easing some of his pain.

“Master,” Arik sobbed as he knelt down by Garen.

Garen managed a small smile as he reached for his apprentice. “My…my boy. I...I knew the…the moment I first…held you that…”

Arik and Anakin didn’t hide their tears.

“…that we…we were connected,” he finished with a cough.

Anakin didn’t miss the blood now seeping from Garen’s mouth. “Conserve your strength. A med team is on the way.”

Garen squeezed Anakin’s hand. “No need.”

His eyes began drifting closed.

“No, Master!” Arik yelled. “No! You can’t die!”

Jedi Master Garen Muln was dead.

Anakin’s tears now were not for his friend, but for his son. As Arik watched his mentor die, Anakin knew his pain; felt it deeply in his own soul. In his mind, Anakin was back in a dusty repair shop, having burst in to find Obi-Wan dead.

Anakin shook off the harsh memories and gathered his son into his arms. The teenager wrapped gangly arms around his waist and buried his face in his father’s chest. Anakin rubbed his back gently, whispering words and sending thoughts of comfort to the boy.

“Why, Dad?” Arik sobbed.

Anakin closed his eyes tight; Obi-Wan’s face appearing behind his closed lids. “I don’t know, Arik. I’ll never know.”

After several long moments of hugging his son, Anakin let go and turned to speak with Tristan. When he didn’t see him, he turned his attention to several of the clonetroopers.

“Please get Master Muln to the ship and…”

When he stopped, one clone stepped forward. “We’ll take care of him, General Skywalker.”

“Thank you,” he told them as he guided Arik away, his thoughts having already drifted far away from Tristan.

Tristan had stepped into the stronghold and waved his fingers imperceptivity at the two guards standing before Kevram Malak.

“You need to turn away,” he instructed.

Both guards turned away from Tristan.

He approached Malak and could see and sense the fear in the man. He smiled wickedly and used the Force to unlock the cuffs around his wrists.

Malak grinned. “Come to rescue me, Jedi?”

Tristan grinned back as he pulled a vibro-blade from his waist. “No, I’ve come to kill you. You murdered a very good friend of mine today.”

Malak began backing up, his fear eating at him now. Tristan took small, measure steps towards the shorter man. When he had him cornered, he bent down so they were eye to eye.

“You must pay for your crimes,” he whispered as he plunged the blade deeply into Malak’s stomach.

Within minutes it was over. The blade was wiped clear of Tristan’s fingerprints and placed in Malak’s hand. Tristan again turned to the guards and expertly used the mind trick.

“You saw nothing,” he said. “No one entered. The man must have had a concealed weapon. Do not turn around to look.”

The guards, glassy-eyed and docile, repeated word for word Tristan’s commands.

Satisfied with his work, Tristan exited the stronghold and no one saw a thing until clonetroopers entered an hour later and alerted the stunned guards to the fact that their charge was dead.

Mara watched her father throw things across the room as he steamed at the news that Kevram Malak had been capture and mysteriously killed. He was angry that yet another uprising by the Separatists had been put down by the Jedi.

“Battles are won and lost, Father,” Mara pointed out. “The war has not been lost.”

Darex turned and stared at his daughter. Mara had grown into a beautiful young woman, much like her mother had been. But she wasn’t quite the cutthroat ally he needed in his quest to have Tristan Kenobi at his side. She had managed to arrange a meeting between them, and young Tristan had begun to confide in him, but he needed more.

“I understand that Skywalker, his son and Kenobi are headed back to the Jedi Temple,” he said.

Mara nodded. “That is correct. There is to be a funeral for...for Master Garen.”

Darex nodded. He had met Garen Muln once and had actually liked the younger man. Darex had nothing against the Jedi personally. They were simply in his way and needed to be removed.

“Please ask him to come see me when he has a free moment,” he instructed.

Mara nodded as she left, her heart and her head in constant battle over her role in her father’s plans for the Jedi, one of whom meant a great deal to her.

Anakin recalled Obi-Wan’s Remembrance ceremony years before as he stood watching and listening to countless Jedi speak about Garen. Back then, Garen had been at his side, helping Padme hold him up as he said goodbye to his brother.

Now, Arik and Luke stood on either side of their father; Leia standing in front of him. Garen’s life-long friend, Reeft, stepped forward and lit the funeral pyre. The tall Dressellian stepped back and watched as the flames licked at Garen’s body before fully engulfing the Jedi, carrying and committing his spirit to the Force.

Jedi began to file out; Anakin told his children to go find something to do. He wanted to speak with Reeft.

“I’m the last,” Reeft said softly.

Anakin didn’t have to ask what he meant. Reeft had grown up with Obi-Wan, Siri and Garen. All were now gone; all but Reeft.

“I never thought I’d be the last,” he continued.

“You may be the last, Reeft, but you’re not alone,” Anakin told him. “I’m here and I’m your friend.”

“As am I,” said a new voice.

Reeft turned, not recognizing the voice, but Anakin didn’t need to. “Hello, Ferus.”

He stepped up to them. “Anakin. Reeft. I’m so sorry about Master Garen. I know he meant a lot to you both.”

Reeft thanked him and quickly excused himself.

“This is hard on him,” Anakin told Ferus. “Harder even on my son.”

Ferus cleared his throat. “About Arik; I just came from the Council chambers.”

Anakin nodded. “He’s being assigned to you. When I heard you’d been recalled from Dantooine, I figured it was for that specific reason.”

“I’m not sure how to go about training him,” Ferus admitted. “He’s hurt and angry and…”

Anakin turned to face his childhood nemesis. “He just needs you to listen. Arik’s a talker. He uses his words to work things out in his head. Lend him your ears and you’ll both do fine. He will endure this and come out the other side stronger for it.”

“Like you did?” Ferus asked softly.

Anakin gave him a nod and friendly pat on the shoulder. “Yes, and like you did.”

With that said, Anakin headed out of the room leaving Ferus with his thoughts; thoughts off his new apprentice and his departed master, Siri.

Luke found Mara in one of the training rooms working against a remote with her eyes closed. He watched for a few moments.

“You can come in, Farmboy,” Mara called as she opened her eyes.

“Farmboy?” he asked as he stepped into the room. “I wasn’t raised on a farm you know.”

Mara smiled as she took in his appearance. His blonde hair had recently been cut, so it was very short and spiked on top. His padawan braid had a few new colored ties since they’d last seen one another. She swore he was taller and broader in the shoulders and chest and at seventeen, his voice was that of a man, having long ago lost the squeakiness of youth.

“Wanna spar?” he asked, reaching for his lightsaber.

Mara shrugged. “Sure. I could use a light workout.”

They went easy on one another at first. Strike and parry, back and forth until Luke suddenly leapt into the air and landed behind Mara. Sh felt the heat of the saber at her neck. She heaved a sigh and lowered her head.

“Kill point,” Luke barely got out before Mara turned and swept his legs out from under him.

He hit the mat while striking out with his own leg, throwing Mara off balance and down to the floor, only she landed directly on top of him.

She went to stand immediately, but Luke wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her body to his.

“Don’t go,” he said softly.

Unable to deny her feelings, she leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to his lips.

Hours later, Mara watched from a concealed corner of the Temple as Tristan left, headed for her father.

She closed her eyes and asked the Force for guidance. She was losing the battle over her feelings for Luke. She was definitely falling in love with him, though he was two years younger.

She loved her father very much, but he was bent on destroying the Jedi.

Darex was working when he was informed Tristan had arrived. He waved the young man in and offered him a seat.

“How are you, my boy?” he asked.

Tristan smiled. He liked Darex Jade, even though his daughter was a mild annoyance.

“I’m well, Vice-Chancellor,” Tristan answered formally. “I am curious as to why you’ve asked to see me. You’ve already thanked me profusely for my part in saving your life a year ago.”

Darex laughed softly as he sat down behind his desk. “While I remain grateful for that, it isn’t why I asked to see you. I called you here for this.”

Tristan took the information he was handed and began to read through it.

“Has this information been verified?”

Darex nodded as he poured himself and Tristan each a mug of Corellian whiskey.

“Yes,” Darex answered. “The Chancellor has contacts with one of the clans on Dathomir. She was informed several days ago of the presence of a few high-ranking Separatist leaders and two Republic senators conspiring to convince the Dathomiri to join their cause.”

Tristan frowned. “If Padme knows about this, why don’t the Jedi? I’m sure Master Anakin would have said something to me.”

Darex shrugged. “I really have no answer for that, Jedi Kenobi. However, I seriously doubt that Anakin Skywalker doesn’t know of this development. You can be certain that if he knows, Masters Yoda and Windu know as well.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Tristan questioned. “What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to go to Dathomir and find these men, these traitors to the Republic, and destroy them,” Darex told him straight out.

Tristan was quiet. He studied the holos in the file. He recognized Senators Balkis and Jamaren. They were close allies of Padme and Darex. Tristan couldn’t figure out why they would suddenly become traitors.

But he intended to find out.

“I’ll report as soon as I find anything out,” he told Darex as he stood. “Thanks for the whiskey.”

Darex was pleased at Tristan’s somewhat easy acceptance of the evidence he’d presented.

“What are you doing?” came a female voice that startled Darex.

He turned and saw his daughter standing on the doorway. Her green eyes were full of fire.

“What brings you here so late, Mara?” he questioned the young woman.

Mara Jade stormed into the office. “What do you hope to gain by sending Kenobi to Dathomir? Do two junior senators and a few Separatist leaders mean so much?”

Darex grinned. “No, they mean nothing in the grand scheme. However, the young woman you mentioned, Riema, she means a great deal and when young Tristan sees her, I expect his reaction to be…explosive.”

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    You killed Garen??:eek::eek: You can't do that. I'm certain it's against the rules. Fix it now![face_waiting] Loved the Luke and Mara exchange. She's gonna have to make a decision soon about which side she's truly on.

3. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Sorry Jedi_Tyler, but I did kill Garen. :( You're right about Mara--her moment of truth is coming.

4. Skywalker_Angel

Skywalker_Angel Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Very sad Garen is dead. :( Wondering what Darex has set Tristan up to find on Dathomir and how he reacts to it.

5. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Sorry about Garen. :( It was necessary. As for Tristan and Dathomir...you'll see. ;)

Chapter 42

Chancellor Skywalker’s Office

“I cannot believe you are even entertaining this idea!” Vice-Chancellor Darex Jade yelled. “We cannot give in to them!”

Even in the face of Darex’s anger, Padme remained calm. “Giving in may be the only way to end this war. We cannot let this go on as long as it did so many years ago.”

Darex sighed as he ran his hands through his graying hair. “Chancellor, I…Padme, listen to me. The Republic has lost a lot over the past year, without a doubt. We stand to lose much more if we let these worlds secede from the Republic. We’re projecting an image of being weak, of being…conciliatory.”

Padme’s eyes blazed. “We are not weak, nor are we being conciliatory. A strategic retreat is not weakness, Darex.”

“You’re not talking about a strategic retreat, Padme,” he scolded. “You’re talking about surrender. This Republic must remain intact. To allow it to fracture now would be insane.”

With that, Darex stood and swept from Padme’s office leaving her behind to consider his words.

Arik Skywalker was pulling at his robes. He felt nervous, uncomfortable in his own skin as he waited outside the Council chambers to be called in. It had only been a few days since Garen’s funeral and the young man was not at all eager to be placed in the care of a new mentor so soon.

“Padawan Skywalker,” the attendant called his name. “You may enter the chambers now.”

Arik straightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. “Thank you.”

He stepped into the circular chamber and eyes all of the masters seated in a semi-circle, including his father and Yoda.

“Know why we have called you, you do, Padawan Skywalker?” Yoda questioned.

“I believe so, Master,” Arik answered. “I am to be assigned to a…a new master.”

Anakin closely watched his son’s reactions. He knew Arik was having a difficult time with the loss of Garen and he and the other masters wanted to be sure that the teen was able to handle such drastic changes so soon.

“Accept this, you do?”

Arik was silent for a few moments, causing concern among the gathered Jedi.

“Padawan Skywalker,” another master called.

With a deep breath, Arik nodded. “Yes, I accept. Who is to be my new master?”

The chamber doors opened then with a wave of Yoda’s clawed hand. In strode Ferus Olin. He stood next to Arik and offered the youth a tentative smile which Arik returned slightly.

“Master Olin has been offered, and accepted the role of being your new master,” Arik was told.

Ferus turned to Arik and rested a hand on his shoulder. “If you’re not ready, we can put this off, or someone else can be chosen.”

Arik shook his head. “No, this is…I must move on. We should do this now.”

A small ceremony followed in which a beginning training bond was formed between Arik and Ferus. Once completed, the new master and padawan team left the chamber.

“Will he be okay?” Jedi Master Lleto asked Anakin.

Anakin stood and folded his arms into the sleeves of his cloak and shook his head. “I sincerely hope so.”

“Your son is powerful, Skywalker,” Master Windu remarked as he came to stand next to Anakin while the others exited the chamber.

Anakin nodded. “Yes, he is. Probably more powerful than his brother and sister.”

“Concerns you, this does?” Yoda asked from his hover-chair which floated beside Mace.

Anakin shook his head. “No, Master, it doesn’t. Garen’s death and its effect on my son concerns me. Arik is a sensitive soul, Masters, and he feels things deeply.”

“Much like you,” Mace commented.

“Yes, much like me,” Anakin agreed. “Though, his emotional control is far beyond mine when I was fifteen.”

“Fine, he will be,” Yoda decided. “Time to work through things, he needs. Time, Master Olin will give him.”

The conversation continued for several more minutes before Anakin excused himself to head for the Senate building and his wife.

Days Later

Dathomir

Tristan stepped off the transport ship he took from Coruscant to Dathomir and was immediately looked upon with suspicion by three senior members of the Singing Mountain Clan.

“What brings you here, Jedi?” one of them asked.

Tristan pulled back his hood and was shocked when he set eyes of Riema. He swallowed deeply and executed a deep bow.

“I come on an important mission for the Vice-Chancellor of the Republic,” he told them, his eyes never once leaving Riema.

“What mission?”

“Senators Balkis and Jamaren have been under surveillance and have been found to be conspiring with the Separatist leaders here on Dathomir in what the Republic believes is an attempt at swaying your people to join their cause,” he told the leader of the clan.

“For what purpose?” Riema asked as she stepped forward.

Tristan’s eyes glossed over in anger as he looked at the girl he once thought he loved. Now, all feelings for her were gone, flushed from his system by her cold, stinging rejection.

“For the purpose of adding to their numbers, of course,” he snapped. “I’m certain they wish to learn the…magic you possess.”

“We have not seen them,” the clan leader spoke. “You are granted two nights’ stay on planet, then you must leave.”

All but Riema turned and left; she stepped forward as the transport ship began to ascend.

“Tris,” she said softly as she reached for his arm.

Tristan pulled away. “You dare reach out to me? After that…letter you sent, you believe you have the right?”

Riema pulled her hand back, but did not avert her eyes from his angry face. “This is my world, I have every right to touch a male.”

Tristan’s blue-gray eyes blazed as he reached out with his right hand extended towards Riema. Her eyes widened and her hands flew to her throat.

“You are dead to me, Riema,” he said in a chilling whisper as he stepped directly in front of her. “Your rights to me, any part of me, have been terminated.”

Lack of oxygen took its toll and Riema passed out at Tristan’s feet. He dispassionately watched her body fall and callously stepped over her as he set about on his search for the two senators who had become traitors to the Republic.

Ferus found his new apprentice seated on the ground in front of a pond in the Room of a Thousand Fountains in a light meditation. The boys’ emotions had been all over the place since Garen’s death.

Before Ferus could announce his presence, Arik spoke. “Are we going on a mission?”

Ferus sat down next to his new apprentice and slowly nodded. “Yes, we are. Do you think you’re ready for it?”

Arik kept his eyes closed. “I believe so, Fer…Master.”

Ferus reached over and rested a hand on Arik’s shoulder. “You don’t have to call me that, Arik. Using my name is fine with me.”

Arik opened his eyes and turned to look at Ferus. He studied the dark eyes; dark hair with the gold streak running through it. Arik didn’t know Ferus Olin well, but he figured with the start of their missions together that would change.

“I don’t mind,” Arik said quietly, and he found the more he considered it, he truly didn’t mind. “Master Garen would…he would want me to.”

“You wish to make him proud of you,” Ferus observed, sensing the boys’ motivations.

Arik nodded. “Yes, Master. I was proud to be his padawan and I want to become the Jedi he was training me to be; the Jedi he always told me I could be.”

Ferus smiled. “You will be, Arik Skywalker, I promise you that. We’ll figure out this master/padawan dynamic and when it’s all said and done, you’ll stand tall as a Jedi Knight.”

Arik gave him a genuine smile then. “Yes, Master.”

Both stood then and headed out of the Room of a Thousand Fountains side by side. When they reached the doors, Arik looked up at Ferus.

“Where are we going?”

Ferus grinned, but didn’t say a word.

Dathomir

Tristan had little trouble tracking the senators. He’d discovered their hiding place in a cave just a few meters climb from the base of a large mountain. He sat crouched down listening to the conversations inside the dimly lit cave. He could not make out the words, but he could detect at least five to six different voices.

Taking a deep breath, Tristan stood, grasped his lightsaber tightly in his hand and walked slowly into the cave. As the voices got closer, he ignited the saber and stepped into the large chamber.

“What is the meaning of this?” Senator Jamaren called out when he saw the Jedi. “Who are you?”

Tristan said nothing; stepping further into the room. His eyes were on fire with sharp hatred as he stared between the two Republic senators and the four Separatist leaders gathered around a large table.

“Why are you here, Jedi?” Senator Balkis questioned as he stepped around the table to come face to face with Tristan.

“You are traitors to the Republic, all of you,” Tristan said in a clear voice. “I have come here on the orders of Vice-Chancellor Darex Jade to put an end to your treachery.”

Separatist leader, General Korman Davess, laughed. “You’re a fool, boy. We’re not the traitors. We’re here discussing how best to end this insane and unnecessary fight. The people who lead your government are the…”

“Enough!” Tristan yelled. “You have all betrayed the Republic and you will pay for your crimes!”

Senator Balkis made a move towards Tristan just as the Jedi lunged towards him and impaled the man with his lightsaber.

Things began to happen fast. Tristan used a Force push to shove two of the Separatists across the cave, each crashing into the cave wall with such force neither survived the impact.

Senator Jamaren sprinted for the exit as General Davess reached for his blaster. Tristan spun to his right and with his saber swinging, he caught Jamaren’s left arm with a high, arching swing; severing the arm just above the elbow.

Jamaren fell to the ground and Tristan spun again, saber held in a two-handed grip as he faced the general.

“Come on, boy,” the older man taunted as he raised the blaster in his hand and fired at Tristan.

Tristan blocked each incoming bolt as he began working his way towards the man. Within moments he’d reached him and swept his lightsaber out, decapitating the general.

“Please, stop,” Jamaren called from the ground where he was crumped, clutching the stump where his arm had been. “You don’t…understand.”

Tristan eyed the remaining man as he stalked closer. “I understand perfectly, Senator Jamaren. You swore to serve the Republic and you betrayed that vow.”

“No, no, you…you have it all…all wrong,” Jamaren stuttered. “Jade sent us…”

Tristan twirled his saber once, twice, three times and plunged it into the chest of Jamaren.

Breathing heavily and with his eyes glowing yellow, Tristan looked around. He saw all five of the men he had just killed. They were all traitors and had deserved his wrath. He’d done his duty to the Republic, and to his friend Darex Jade who had trusted these two senators.

His saber extinguished, Tristan clipped it to his belt and walked from the cave.

Skywalker Residence

Anakin had been awakened by something he could not identify. He slipped from the bed he shared with Padme and wandered onto the balcony.

His cloak wrapped tightly around him, he stared out into the Coruscant night. The space lanes were still fairly crowded. The city-planet never went completely dark or silent.

Anakin closed his eyes and reached out with the Force; reaching for his mostly-dormant bond with Tristan. He had a vague sense of the young man; feelings of anger and intense emotion were all he could feel.

“Ani, are you okay?” Padme’s soft voice carried from inside their bedroom.

Anakin’s eyes snapped open and he sighed. “I’m fine.”

When he didn’t return, Padme wrapped herself in a thick blanket and stepped outside with him. Standing shoulder to shoulder, she’d never felt as distanced from him as she did in that moment.

Anakin looked down at his wife. Possibly for the first time, he realized how small she was next to him. Yet he knew she carried more strength within her than any ten Jedi.

“Do you think it’ll ever be the same?” she asked him suddenly.

“Do I think what will ever be the same?” he returned, not understanding what she meant.

Padme looked out at the city. “Our relationship. Do you think it will ever be the same as it was…before?”

Now he understood. Returning his own gaze to the passing speeders, he finally shook his head and answered her as honestly as he could.

“No,” was his quiet, pained response. “It can’t be, Padme. Not after…”

“Not after I reactivated the clones and…and started this war all over again,” she finished for him.

Anakin took a deep breath and turned to face her. He reached out with his real hand and grasped both of hers as their eyes met.

“I love you,” he told her. “I have since I first set eyes upon you when I was nine years old. It took me a long time to come to the realization that my duty to the Jedi, as a Jedi has to come first. We’re not fighters, soldiers; it’s not what we were ever meant to be. We are protectors, keepers of the peace and when you and Jade decided to…we’ve been thrust into a situation, again, in which we have no business. We’ve lost so many Jedi in the past year; Garen Muln, Bant Eerin, Master…”

“You blame me,” she said, pulling her hands away from him. “You blame their deaths on me and my decision to…”

“It’s not about blame, Padme,” he interrupted her. “Decisions were made; ones which I believe were wrong and remain so to this day. For me, that is a simple statement of fact which nothing can change.”

“We stand opposed,” she said softly.

Anakin nodded. “Yes, we do. Back when the Clone Wars began, we were opposed then as well.”

Padme smiled a bit. “You believed the war to be just.”

Anakin shrugged. “Not just; necessary, perhaps.”

“Now you find it neither just nor necessary,” she commented.

“I find very nothing about war just nor necessary,” he said. “War is completely contrary to the sustainment of all life. There is nothing just or necessary in such death and destruction.”

“I spoke with Darex about…well, he called it surrender,” she remarked. “I called it strategic retreat.”

Anakin stared at her open-mouthed for a moment. “You…why? What changed your mind?”

“I’m tired, Ani,” she said. “Tired of the fighting, the death, and the destruction. It’s as you said, there is nothing just or necessary in continuing the fight. What do we have to gain?”

“You’re going to surrender?” he questioned. “Then what? This will harm you politically as much if not more than reactivating the clones again did.”

“Darex was not in favor,” Padme revealed. “He believes there are some things worth fighting for. He believes that a fractured Republic cannot and will not function.”

Anakin sighed. “I hate to say it, but…I agree with him on one point. There are some things worth fighting for, I just don’t believe fighting to hang on to a few worlds which want to secede is one of those things.”

“You would have me end the fight and let the Republic be split?” she wanted to know his opinion.

“It doesn’t matter what I would do, Padme,” he replied, his tone a bit stern. “It matters what you do.”

With that, Anakin turned and headed back inside, leaving Padme standing on the balcony, alone with her thoughts.

Two Months Later

Over the past months, Mara had spent much time in meditation when she wasn’t with Master Shaak-Ti. She’d been trying to come to terms with her father’s plans and what they were going to mean for the Jedi, the Republic, and more specifically, for her and the feelings she had for Luke Skywalker.

“Something is bothering you, Padawan,” Shaak-Ti said to Mara as she entered the quarters they shared.

From her position on the floor, Mara nodded. “Yes, Master. Something.”

“Care to share?” the master questioned as she assumed a position next to her padawan.

“I wish I could, Master,” Mara replied sincerely.

Shaak-Ti frowned. Mara was secretive by nature, which the elder Jedi had always assumed came from the fact that Mara had a politician for a father. But when she considered how little Darex Jade seemed interested in his only child’s training, she wondered if there was more to Mara’s silence.

“Well, if you change your mind, I hope you know you can always come to me with any and all problems you may have,” Shaak-Ti offered.

Mara turned and their eyes met. “I know. Thank you, Master. I will be going later to see my father.”

“Be safe, Padawan,” the master said as she stood and set off to attend to other duties.

Mara waited a few moments before she gathered her cloak and set out for her father’s office.

“Have you located a live subject, Governor Verbeke?” Darex asked, covered in his dark robe; face obscured.

”I have,” Verbeke responded. “We have captured a Jedi Padawan. We are ready for the field test as soon as you give the order.”

Darex smiled beneath his cloak. “You may…”

“What!?” Mara yelled as she entered her father’s private study in his home.

Darex turned sharply when he heard Mara’s voice. His shock was evident on his face as he turned back to the viewscreen.

“Do not do anything until I give the order,” he ordered Verbeke. “I will contact you again shortly.”

He hit the end key and threw back the cloak. “What are you doing here?”

Mara was stunned. “What am I…what the kriff are you doing!?”

Darex had always known the time would come for him to reveal his plans. “Sit down, Mara.”

Mara reluctantly sat down and stared at her father. “What are you doing with a Jedi Padawan?”

Darex quickly explained his plan to test Order 66 in the padawan. He needed to be certain that there were not any flaws within the programming.

“You…you weren’t going to destroy the Jedi,” she said softly. “You said…if you destroy them you won’t have your dark army.”

Darex smirked at his daughter. “Plans change, my dear. I fear I won’t have my dark army anyway. I will have to make do with Tristan Kenobi, and you, my daughter.”

Mara was shaking her head. “No, you…you can’t. If you destroy the Jedi, you destroy…”

“What? Who?” Darex questioned his daughter. “Do you mean that young man you’re always with? The Skywalker boy?”

Mara exploded. “Yes! Father, you can’t do this! Please don’t do this!”

Darex was shocked at Mara’s emotional outburst. “Calm yourself, child. There is no other way. The Jedi…”

“What about me!?” she screamed as she stood and began pacing the office. “I’m a Jedi! Did you not think of that? Those clones of yours will kill me, too, Father. They’ll kill Luke.”

Darex could see that Mara was only getting more and more upset. He knew there would be no reasoning with her. So, he changed tactics. He stood from behind his desk and moved to intercept her steps. He pulled his daughter into his arms and rubbed her back gently.

“It’s all right, Mara,” he said soothingly.

Hating her own weakness, yet not able to stop it; tears coursed down her cheeks as she let her father comfort her.

“Please, Father, find another way,” she pleaded.

“I will,” Darex said softly. “I will. I promise.”

Mara wiped her eyes and backed away from her father. “There’s always another way, Father. You just have to find it.”

“I will,” he told her again. “Now, you go back to the temple and try to relax. We’ll speak more tomorrow.”

Mara did as instructed. As she left, she didn’t see Tristan waiting to enter as he hid in the shadows.

“You can come out now,” Darex called once Mara was out of earshot.

Tristan didn’t bother to wonder how Darex had known he was even there. He stepped into the light and pointed back in the direction in which Mara had exited.

“She’s pretty upset,” he observed.

Darex nodded as he took a seat. “Yes, she is. Please, sit down, my boy. We have much to discuss.”

Tristan discarded his cloak and took a seat. “I…dispatched the two senators who were working with the separatist leaders, along with the leaders themselves.”

Darex smiled. “Good. I’ll admit I was hoping we would have been able to speak two months ago when you returned to Coruscant.”

Tristan scowled. “As was I, Vice-Chancellor. The Jedi have kept me busy. I apologize.”

Darex waved a hand. “No need to apologize, my boy. Now that you’re here, I do have a question to ask you?”

“Of course,” Tristan said. “What is it?”

Darex grinned. “I am in need of a new head of security. Would you be interested in coming to work for me?”

Tristan’s blue-gray eyes widened. “I…I don’t know what…what about the Jedi? I can’t just…just leave them. Anakin has…”

Darex held up a hand. “I understand what they’ve meant to you over the years, particularly the Skywalker family. But, wasn’t it Anakin Skywalker who forbid you a relationship with the young woman from Dathomir? Wasn’t it Anakin Skywalker who didn’t save your father?”

Tristan’s eyes darkened in lightly suppressed anger. There were many things over the years that had made him angry and made him feel less important than Luke, Leia and Arik.

“You’re a very powerful and talented Jedi Knight, Tristan,” Darex complimented. “But, and forgive me for saying this, they are wasting your talents. You could be so much more effective as the head of my security detail. You would be in charge, with no one giving you orders. Please, at least think about it.”

Tristan cleared his throat and nodded. “I will. You have my word, Vice-Chancellor.”

The two shook hands before Tristan exited the office and headed for the temple.

Darex watched him go. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and reached out with the Force towards the door. He extended his left hand and slowly, the door began to close. It moved only inches and Darex opened his eyes.

“Shavit,” he whispered.

Darex was Force-sensitive, but his midi-chlorian count was below what would be considered for a Jedi. His telekinetic skills were basically non-existent. But, his mental acuity was off the charts. His senses were sharp and his shielding was extremely strong.

“I will have you on my side, Tristan Kenobi,” he said to himself as he walked over and shoved the door closed.

Tristan had entered the temple and was headed to his quarters with Darex’s words running through his mind. He was so consumed that he didn’t even see Anakin.

“Whoa,” Anakin said as he reached out and steadied the younger man. “Where are you headed in such a hurry?”

“Just to my quarters,” he answered and attempted to move around the taller man.

“Mind if I join you?” Anakin pressed.

“Truthfully, yes, I do mind,” Tristan answered. “I’ve been terribly busy and all I want is to rest. So, if you don’t mind, I’d…”

Anakin reached out and grabbed his former apprentice by his cloak as he once again tried to move around him.

“I do mind,” Anakin practically growled. “To your quarters; we’ll finish this there.”

Tristan glared as he shrugged off Anakin’s grasp. “Yes, we will.”

Both men walked silently to Tristan’s quarters. Once inside, the young man tossed his cloak aside and turned to face his former teacher.

“You have a serious attitude problem,” Anakin pointed out. “You’re always angry, distant, and abrupt when anyone tries to speak with you. I want to know what is going on with you, Tris.”

Tristan laughed humorlessly. “What’s going on with me? Nothing, Master. Nothing at all. I keep going on mission after mission for the council. I keep watching you dote on Luke, Leia and Arik. Why is it that he’s named after my father?”

Anakin was confused. “Where is that coming from?”

Tristan paced. “I’ve just always wondered. Luke is named after my father. My father, whom I never met. Where were you when he was killed?”

Anakin was becoming angry himself. He took a deep breath and tried to understand why Tristan was angry; why now.

“You know where I was, and you know why,” Anakin said softly, trying desperately to defuse the situation.

Tristan scoffed. “Oh, that’s right. You were walking a droid to a ship while my father was being murdered. All these years and I finally see. You’ve always questioned me. You’ve never allowed me the freedom to choose for myself. You forbid me to see Riema. It’s because of you I don’t have a father!”

Anakin reached out. “Tris, calm down and…”

“No!” Tristan yelled as he yanked his arm back. “I will not calm down! You and the Jedi, you’re all the same; always telling me what I can’t do. My parents weren’t even allowed to be together because of the Jedi. But, you have children and the rules are changed. Why? What makes you so special?”

Anakin felt his hand slip down to the hilt of his lightsaber. He could see anger and hate shining on Tristan’s face, and for the first time he considered the fact that maybe his former apprentice had slipped further than he’d imagined. He’d known Tristan had some trouble controlling his emotions, but what he was now witnessing was on another level.

Tristan noticed, and he laughed. “You can take your hand off your saber, Master. I’m not dangerous.”

It pained Anakin to think it, but he wasn’t so sure that Tristan wasn’t dangerous.

In that moment, Tristan made a decision. He reached down to his belt and unclipped his father’s lightsaber. He slowly twirled it in his hands, running his fingers over it as memories of using it on so many missions filtered through his mind.

“You can take this one,” he finally said, his eyes meeting Anakin’s.

“What?” Anakin flinched.

Tristan tossed the lightsaber at him as he spoke. “I won’t be needing it anymore. I’ve decided to resign my position as a Jedi Knight.”

Anakin was so stunned he didn’t catch the blade. It bounced harmlessly off his chest and fell to the floor with a thud.

Tristan shoved past Anakin and was about to exit the room when Anakin spoke.

“Where are you going?” he asked, pain and heartbreak in his voice.

Tristan turned around. “Vice-Chancellor Jade has offered me a position as his head of security. I’ve decide to accept.”

With that, he pressed the activation stud for the door and walked out of the room and away from Anakin Skywalker.

He didn’t see the tears that fell down Anakin’s cheeks as he bent to pick up the discarded lightsaber.

Clutching the beloved weapon to his chest, Anakin looked up and closed his eyes.

“I’m so sorry, Master,” he whispered to the empty room.

6. Jedi_Tyler

Apr 11, 2005
    So, lots of things I liked about this chapter. :)

I thought Arik handled the situation very well with being assigned a new master so quickly after Garen's death. It shows a mental strength he has that will probably come in handy at some point. I found it interesting that Anakin remarked that Arik was probably the most powerful of the three Skywalker sibs. [face_thinking]

Tristan's confrontation with Riema and then killing the senators and separatist leaders was :eek: I guess all we have now is to wait for him to kneel down before Darex?

My favorite scene, however, was this.

Anakin and Padme seem to be growing apart. :_| I believe him that he doesn't blame Padme, but he also cannot support the decisions she's made in regards to the Republic. I see them at odds for a long time to come.

Last, but not least; Darex Jade. I was surprised he turned out to be Force-sensitive. :eek: I like that he doesn't have the telekinetic ability, but that his shielding is so good. Makes sense that he would focus on and perfect his strengths, thereby minimizing his weaknesses.

Terrific update!=D=

JediMaster_Jen and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Darex is absolutely pulling many strings. [face_worried] I think the A/P is heartbreaking and that perhaps Padme has come to a realization too late. :( Anakin may be left with more losses and regrets than he knows what to do with because of Tristan's Sith tendencies.

I like Arik and also Mara in this. They show a maturity on the one hand and a strength on the other. I'm not surprised at all that Mara has such a non-cowered attitude. :)

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  8. Skywalker_Angel

Sep 12, 2004
    Sad to see Anakin and Padme distanced from each other. I certainly hope they can resolve their differences. :)

9. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Jedi_Tyler, Nyota's Heart, Skywalker_Angel

Thanks for reading. :)

Chapter 43

One Week Later

Tristan stepped into Darex’s office in the Senate Building and was stunned by what he saw. Darex had standing in the middle of the room, eyes closed and both hands extended before him. The two chairs that were positioned in front of his desk were each floating about an inch off the floor.

Darex was sweating with the effort he was using to try and harness the Force. He was concentrating so hard, he failed to notice that Tristan had entered the room until the younger man cleared his throat.

Darex’s eyes snapped open and he grinned at Tristan. The moment had come.

Anakin was wandering aimlessly through the temple when he quite literally ran into his daughter.

“Oh, Leia, I’m sorry, sweetheart,” he said as he reached out to steady her.

Leia smiled up at her father and he was at once reminded of Padme; long dark hair, dark eyes and a smile that lit the darkest corners of his heart.

“It’s okay, I’m fine, Dad,” Leia answered. “Are you okay? I heard about…about Tris leaving.”

Anakin nodded. “I’m sure the entire temple has heard by now. To answer your question; I’m…trying to adjust.”

They walked together for a while in silence before Leia spoke again. “Did Mom tell you about…about…”

Anakin smirked. “About Ebran Organa’s…question to you before he left?”

Leia blushed. “Yes.”

Anakin chuckled softly at his daughter’s slight embarrassment. “Oddly enough, no, she didn’t. I spoke with Ebran’s father.”

Leia stopped walking. “You…you did?”

“I did,” he answered. “Bail had some concerns about his son wanting to get married at such a young age. I assured him I had the same reservations in regards to my daughter.”

Leia’s eyes lowered to the floor for a moment before Anakin reached out and tipped her chin up so he could look into her eyes.

“I also told him that my daughter had a very good head on her shoulders,” he said to her. “That she was sensible and very sure of who she is and what she wants. I told him that I understood Ebran to be a very nice young man who’d had a solid upbringing and if he wished to marry my little girl, and she was agreeable, I supported the idea.”

Leia’s eyes brightened and she threw herself into Anakin’s arms, wrapping her own around his waist.

“Thank you, Daddy,” she whispered.

Anakin kissed the top of her head. “Tell me when and where and I’ll walk you down the aisle. I won’t like it, but I’ll do it.”

Leia laughed softly. “You like Ebran?”

Anakin shrugged. “I don’t dislike Ebran. I trust his father. Bail Organa is a good man, an honest man and I don’t doubt his son is the same kind of man. I trust he will take good care of you, should you need taking care of at some point.”

Leia laughed at that as well. Her father knew she was about as independent as they came. She got that from her mother as well.

The two continued their walk, softly talking and laughing together. It served to take his mind off of Tristan, if only for a moment in time.

“You’re…you’re Force-sensitive,” Tristan gasped, his eyes still on Darex.

Darex gave the younger man a nod. “Yes, I am. Oh, my midi-chlorian count is nowhere near as high as yours, but it’s sufficient for my shielding to be quite good.”

Tristan didn’t know how to react. He sat down heavily and sighed deeply. “I never…not once did I suspect.”

Darex took his seat as well. “Yes, well, the point is to keep hidden, until it is time to strike.”

“Strike?” Tristan questioned. “Strike at what? At who?”

Darex hadn’t planned to reveal his plans this early to Tristan. But, if he had the young man on his side, perhaps it would be best to include him.

He leaned forward and took a deep breath. “I’m afraid I have some…unsettling news. Chancellor Skywalker has arrived at the decision that the Republic should effectively surrender the fight and let these Separatist worlds secede. Needless to say, I am opposed.”

Tristan didn’t hide his confusion. “Why would she do that? You and she both wanted to stop the secession.”

Darex sighed. “Padme has grown fearful, Tristan. She…Senator Lorcan Orath and I both agree that she is no longer qualified to lead the Republic. We are…”

“You are what?” Tristan asked with an edge.

“We are planning to call for a vote of no confidence in her leadership,” he revealed. “It will result in nominations and the election of a new Chancellor within fifteen days’ time.”

“You intend to run?” Tristan wondered out loud. “You and Senator Orath?”

Darex smiled. “No, not me, my boy. Senator Orath will run, and we’re fairly certain with the backing of our numerous allies, we will win and we can bring a swift end to all of this secession talk. The clonetroopers can once again be deactivated and peace will reign.”

Tristan was quiet for several long moments. When he finally looked up at Darex and spoke, it was in a clear and concise voice.

“What can I do to help?”

Darex took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair. “I didn’t…I didn’t want to tell you this part. But, I feel you must know the truth about the Jedi Order.”

“What truth?”

With a shake of his head, Darex spoke in a low tone. “Senator Orath and I have uncovered evidence that Master Skywalker and others have been…collaborating with the Separatists.”

The anger in Tristan was quick to take hold. “I knew. I knew something was wrong, that he was hiding something from me. All of them; none of them trust me.”

Darex sighed. “I am sorry, Tristan. I wish there was something I could say to make this easier for you.”

Tristan shrugged. “There isn’t. But, you can tell me how I can help you. I’m finished with the Jedi. I told Anakin I was resigning to come work for you.”

“Governor Verbeke on Arkania has in his possession a Jedi Padawan who was captured in the act of delivering information to a few Separatist soldiers,” Darex told his tale. “We have discovered a contingency order programmed into the clones. Once issued, the clones will turn on their Jedi leaders of they are deemed to be acting in contrast to the best interest of the Republic.”

“Turn?” Tristan inquired. “You mean kill, don’t you?”

Darex nodded solemnly. “Yes. Should the Jedi become a threat, the clones can be issued an order which instructs them to kill any and all Jedi they come into contact with.”

“What about Mara?” he then asked. “She’s your daughter. Are you so willing to eliminate her as an enemy of the Republic?”

Darex gave him a thoughtful look. “Of course not. Mara is aware of my…our plans.”

“The padawan you mentioned,” Tristan began. “Are you going to…test this order on him?”

Darex saw no reason to lie. “Yes, I am. This young man is a traitor to the Republic. I would like you to travel to Arkania and oversee the test. I have already established the fact that the order exists and that it can be issued by anyone. I just require one more field test to be certain.”

Tristan stood and nodded. “I will leave immediately.”

Darex stood and reached out a hand to Tristan. “When you return, we’ll talk credits and your new position as my head of security.”

As Tristan exited the office, Senator Lorcan Orath entered from an outer room where he had been listening to the conversation.

“The boy seems anxious to help,” Orath commented.

Darex grinned. “Yes, he does. This mission to Arkania will be his final test. He is ready to embrace the dark side. Tristan Kenobi will be a powerful ally.”

Orath and Darex sat and began strategizing their next move against Padme.

One Week Later

Senator Tanith Reego stepped inside Padme’s office and smiled at his friend as he took the chair she offered.

“Are you okay?” he inquired. “That was pretty brutal out there.”

Padme shrugged. “I’m fine. I almost…I suppose I should have expected this from Darex. I knew he disagreed with me. Perhaps it was foolish of me to think he was the only one.”

Reego cleared his throat. “For what it’s worth to you, I’ve just been told that I am one of the nominees to…”

Padme smiled. “To replace me as Chancellor.”

Reego nodded. “Yes. After the vote of no confidence, the nominees are announced. If I win, and I intend to, we’ll get this war ended, one way or another. I’ll admit to being surprised that Jade himself isn’t nominated.”

Padme was thoughtful. “I agree. I’ve never truly questioned his motives before now, but…I have begun wondering what his angle is in engineering this vote.”

“I guess we’ll find out eventually.”

Padme nodded as Anakin walked into the office.

“I just heard,” he said as he pulled his wife into a tight hug as he nodded at Reego.

Tanith stood and smiled at the couple. “I’ll be on my way. Padme, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.”

“I will,” she replied. “Thank you.”

Arkania

Tristan stepped into the office of Governor Verbeke and asked immediately to be taken to the prisoner.

“You are?”

Tristan glared. “That is no concern of yours. Now, take me to the Jedi prisoner.”

Verbeke realized that the young man worked for the hooded figure he had dealt with on so many occasions.

“Yes, this way,” Verbeke said.

Tristan was led on a path through several concealed rooms before finally coming upon a large holding cell; one young teenage Jedi Padawan as its sole occupant.

“Knight Kenobi!” the young man exclaimed. “You’ve come to rescue me?”

Tristan could only hear Darex’s words as he stared at the young learner. The boy was no more than fifteen or sixteen years old, yet Tristan knew he’d taken on a mission of betrayal.

Tristan looked at Verbeke. “Bring me the clone.”

Verbeke did Tristan’s bidding. He scampered off to bring the clonetrooper into the room moments later.

Tristan looked at the tall, imposing figure and contrasted it with the small, scared figure of the padawan.

“Knight Kenobi, help me,” the boy pleaded. “They’re holding me for…for I don’t even know what. They say I’m a…”

“Commander, execute Order 66,” Tristan commanded with no emotion.

The clone looked at Tristan. “Who are you?”

Tristan hadn’t expected that, but answered anyway. “I am the supreme commander of the Army of the Republic and I am issuing Order 66 for this Jedi.”

The clone accepted Tristan’s order and easily grasped the blaster rifle Verbeke handed him. He pointed it at the frightened boy and fired, killing the Jedi instantly.

Verbeke flinched, but Tristan remained calm as he stared at the now deceased young Jedi. He knew the boy, had watched him spar with his agemates. He’d appreciated what he’d seen in those sessions; the boy was a natural with a lightsaber and would have been a great Jedi Knight.

If only he hadn’t been a traitor.

“Knight Kenobi,” Verbeke began. “Are you…”

Tristan spun on his heel, ignited the lightsaber he’d been given which had been confiscated from the padawan and in an instant had cleaved Verbeke half in two, just as his father Obi-Wan had done so many years before to Darth Maul.

“Sir, you…”

Tristan wasted no time in eliminating the clone as well. Darex had been clear in his orders. Once the test was completed, no one in the facility was to be left alive.

Systematically, Tristan swept his way through the staff in the facility; all of them dead from their wounds.

Tristan, standing in the middle of a room and breathing heavily, had the still-ignited lightsaber in his trembling hand. His blue-gray eyes were blood-shot and glowing yellow.

His final test had been given. Tristan Kenobi had fallen to the dark side.

Anakin watched with a critical eye Darex Jade’s reaction to the fact that Senator Tanith Reego had been elected to replace Padme. He smiled outwardly, yet Anakin got a vague sense of something more sinister beneath the surface. Anakin knew Jade had no reason to be happy about Reego being elected. He was too good a friend of Padme’s for that to be the case.

Tanith Reego thanked the members of the Senate for their support and assured them that he would lead the Republic to the best of his ability. He publically wished Padme well in her future endeavors.

Hours later, Padme was standing on the balcony, silently watching as life went on. Her political career was over. She understood and accepted that as fact. The only bright spot was Tanith being elected as her replacement. It was a bit of a victory since his agenda might more closely resemble what hers had been.

“Are you okay?” Anakin asked as he stepped out next to his wife.

Padme shrugged. “I don’t know, to be honest with you. I knew when I made the decision to reactivate the clones and restart this battle that I was risking a lot, namely my reputation and career. I just didn’t think it would end so…so quickly.”

Anakin folded his arms into the folds of his cloak and took a deep breath. “I know you’ll miss it.”

She smiled softly. “Yes, I will. But there are other things. I’ve been…”

“What?” Anakin questioned.

“I’ve started thinking about…returning to Naboo,” she said softly. “Sola and Darred just purchased a property. Ryoo and Pooja are growing up so fast. I haven’t seen them in…”

Anakin grasped her hand. “If you want to go back to Naboo, then I think…I think you should.”

The sting of tears hit her instantly. Anakin pulled his wife against him; her head against his chest and his chin resting atop her head.

“I didn’t mean to upset you,” Anakin whispered.

Padme sniffled a bit. “You didn’t. I feel like I’ve gone from having everything to having…nothing.”

Anakin closed his eyes and sighed deeply. “I won’t pretend to understand what it feels like for you right now, but I do know that you haven’t lost everything. I’m still here for you, even if I’m here on Coruscant and you go to Naboo. You still have three wonderful children.”

Padme smiled slightly. “I know. I suppose I’m…I’m wondering what the future holds; for me, for us.”

“I wish I could answer that for you,” he replied. “I wish I could peer into the future and tell you everything will work out the way you want it to. But, I can’t.”

She looked up at him and rested her hand against his cheek. “You gave up a long time ago on the notion that a Jedi was all-powerful, didn’t you?”

Anakin nodded slowly. “A long time ago in an old mechanics shop.”

“I don’t suppose you’d come to Naboo with me?” she asked softly; knowing the answer in her heart.

For as long as they’d been married, Anakin had tried to give his wife what she wanted. Now, so many years after their secret wedding and three children, he couldn’t give her this one thing.

“Padme, I…” he began and stopped, backing away and turning as he ran his hands through his long locks.

“You can’t,” she finished. “I know. I had to ask.”

He turned to face her, sadness in his blue eyes. “I was so willing to leave after Obi-Wan died. I didn’t want to be a Jedi anymore. I thought I had failed. Now, I know leaving would be the failure. I am a Jedi, above all.”

Padme couldn’t stop the tears. Anakin gathered her into his arms and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“I love you,” he told her. “More than anything. That will never change, I promise.”

They stood together for a long time, just holding onto each other. The moment was interrupted by Anakin’s comlink. He apologized to Padme as he had to leave to return to the Temple.

Once Anakin was gone, Padme sat by herself contemplating her next move. She had already made the decision to return to her home planet, but beyond that she had quite a few things to figure out.

The hard part was that she also now knew she was going to have to figure it out alone. Anakin wouldn’t be with her.

Darex was sitting in his office when his personal comm alerted him to a message. When he entered his code, he wasn’t surprised to see Tristan’s face staring back at him.

“You have news?” he questioned immediately.

Tristan gave one nod of his head. “Yes. The test of Order 66 was successful. That traitorous padawan is dead, as are the occupants of the facility and Governor Verbeke.”

If Darex was surprised that Tristan was now casually speaking about mass murder, he didn’t show it.

“You’ve done well, my young friend,” he said to the former Jedi. “When you return, we’ll discuss your next…mission.”

Tristan considered that word; mission. He realized that without even noticing, he’d begun working for Darex Jade. He’d traded one master for another.

Tristan found that he did not mind answering to Darex. He found Darex’s methods to be expedient; accomplished without endless discussions he’d suffered as a Jedi.

“As you wish, Vice-Chancellor,” he finally spoke. “I’ll return immediately.”

The Jedi Temple

Anakin was standing alone in the Council chamber staring out across the city-planet. He imagined Padme beginning to pack her belongings for her return to Naboo. He wondered what it would be like to wake up in the next few days and know she was gone; across the galaxy and not coming back.

He was about to turn around and head to his quarters when he felt a shiver run down his spine. He closed his eyes and reached out, but felt nothing but a vague sense of unease. He felt something significant had happened, but he could not touch the event itself.

The chamber doors opened and Mace Windu walked in with Yoda beside him in his hover chair.

“Felt it, you did?”

Anakin nodded as he glanced at the grandmaster. “Yes, but I can’t put my finger on what it might be. I just suddenly felt extremely uneasy. Something has happened, but I only have a very vague sense of it. It’s not close.”

“Young Kenobi, it is,” Yoda said.

Anakin turned. “What about Tristan?”

Mace watched the interplay between the Force’s Chosen One and it’s most trusted champion. Without doubt, Yoda and Anakin were the two most powerful Jedi alive, and when the Force spoke, it usually spoke to one of them first.

“Turned, he has,” Yoda nearly whispered. “A rage, he has inside. Powerful, uncontrollable.”

“An evil like we’ve never seen,” Mace added.

Anakin took a deep breath and closed his eyes once more. He didn’t want to believe that his former apprentice had fallen to the dark side. Yet he could not deny the growing anger the young man had begun to display in the weeks and months leading up to his knighting.

“Since he was a child,” Anakin whispered to himself as he reached for the bond he and Tristan once shared. “It’s been there since he was a boy.”

All that remained of the bond were the tattered edges of a once-close relationship between student and teacher; father and son.

The End

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing action and schemes coming to fruition for great :eek: factor

Loved to bits the father/daughter moment. - awww. :D

The A/P - now that's a bit of brilliant writing, showing that love and profession don't always gel when it comes to timing and priorities/obligations. :( Circumstances are conspiring to keep them apart. I just hope that when they seem to be favorable again, that particular door isn't closed some other way, too little too late.

A woman might be able to understand in her head why a dude chose something besides her, but her heart - not so easily. Padme has a strong sense of duty too, but you can't tell me if she had to choose between her children and her career that her letter of resignation wouldn't be filed asap.

[face_thinking]

11. Jedi_Tyler

Apr 11, 2005
    Just like the chapter before--lots of things to like. :) Loved that first scene with Tristan discovering that Darex is Force-sensitive. Curious to see how that plays out and who else discovers his secret.

The scene between Anakin and Leia was very sweet. :) Anakin clearly loves his only daughter very much but is most concerned with her happiness.

Tristan killing the padawan and all the occupants of that facility was chilling. Reminded me of the scene in RotS when Anakin killed everyone on Mustafar.

The Anakin and Padme scenes were sad. It felt like the end of their relationship, even though they clearly still love one another. Life is taking them in separate directions and I hope in the end it brings them back together

Great work.=D=

12. Skywalker_Angel

Sep 12, 2004
    Well, I have to say, I don't like the way Anakin and Padme seem to be drifting apart. :( Makes me sad.

Loved Tristan discovering that Darex is Force-sensitive. That is sure to change their dealings with each other in lots of ways.

Great work, as always. =D=

13. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Oh please no! No Tristan, don't do this to them (especially Anakin)! Please don't let Anakin go through this! Please tell me, Tristan can/ will be redeemed! Please tell me Anakin and Padme aren't drifting apart & can repair their relationship somehow! Please say they won't break apart! Please let this all end up with a happy ending (preferably without anymore major character deaths (e.g., Anakin, Padme, etc.). I'm hope you'll have Obi-wan's Force Ghost appear to Anakin to reassure him that he did everything he could! Poor Anakin!

JediMaster_Jen and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Nyota's Heart Amazing action and schemes coming to fruition for great :eek: factor

Thanks. :)

The A/P - now that's a bit of brilliant writing, showing that love and profession don't always gel when it comes to timing and priorities/obligations. :( Circumstances are conspiring to keep them apart. I just hope that when they seem to be favorable again, that particular door isn't closed some other way, too little too late

Thank you. :) I wouldn't write them off just yet. But, don't hold out too much hope, either. ;)

A woman might be able to understand in her head why a dude chose something besides her, but her heart - not so easily. Padme has a strong sense of duty too, but you can't tell me if she had to choose between her children and her career that her letter of resignation wouldn't be filed asap.

This is so true!:)

Jedi_Tyler Loved that first scene with Tristan discovering that Darex is Force-sensitive. Curious to see how that plays out and who else discovers his secret.

What makes you so sure anyone else will figure it out? ;)

The scene between Anakin and Leia was very sweet. :) Anakin clearly loves his only daughter very much but is most concerned with her happiness.

Thanks. He is definitely concerned with all of his children.

Tristan killing the padawan and all the occupants of that facility was chilling. Reminded me of the scene in RotS when Anakin killed everyone on Mustafar.

Yep, gone off the deep end, Tristan has. :p

The Anakin and Padme scenes were sad. It felt like the end of their relationship, even though they clearly still love one another. Life is taking them in separate directions and I hope in the end it brings them back together.

Ya just never know, do ya? Anything is possible. :)

Skywalker_Angel Well, I have to say, I don't like the way Anakin and Padme seem to be drifting apart. :( Makes me sad.

I know. I'm sorry.

Loved Tristan discovering that Darex is Force-sensitive. That is sure to change their dealings with each other in lots of ways.

It certainly will, but is that a good thing, or a bad thing? [face_thinking]

cje24576 Oh please no! No Tristan, don't do this to them (especially Anakin)!

Yeah, he's done it. :( I wish I could tell you all those things you want to know. But that would ruin the ending. :)

I'm hope you'll have Obi-wan's Force Ghost appear to Anakin to reassure him that he did everything he could! Poor Anakin!

This is a possibility!

Thanks for reading everyone. :) Your replies mean the world. Writing this story has been fun at times and utterly frustrating at others. It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that the previous chapter will serve as the end of this story. I have added an epilogue below, which I hope you enjoy.

Enjoy, and know it's been my absolute pleasure to bring you this story. In closing, stay turned for a new story entitled The Other Side of Betrayal, which is the follow-up to this fic. :) I'm almost ready to post the first chapter. So, be on the lookout.

Small synopsis--The Other Side of Betrayal begins five years after the end of The Tristan Betrayal. It deals with what happens to Tristan, Anakin and all the players after Tristan's turn to the dark side. There will be sadness, happiness, love, hate and so many other raging emotions. You'll find out what transpires between Anakin and Padme, Anakin and Tristan, Luke and Mara and others.

Once again, thank you. :)

Epilogue

Years later, Anakin wouldn’t have been able to tell anyone how long he stood in the Council chamber alone after Yoda and Mace had left. Tears cascaded down his cheeks as he became lost in memories of the boy he’d raised and loved as a son. He knew deep in his heart that he’d lost Tristan; to the darkness, to his own ambition and selfishness. The young man he’d become had let shadows cover the good boy he’d been and in that child’s place stood a stranger.

Minutes, hours; Anakin wasn’t certain, but he finally mustered the courage to square his shoulders and walk from the room. His cloak billowing around his tall frame, he headed to Room of a Thousand Fountains to meditate. He didn’t know when or where, but his senses told him that a confrontation with his former student was looming.

Anakin would be ready.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Congratulations on completing such a riveting fic and I am very glad there will be a follow-up. Definitely I will be on the lookout! @};-

16. Jedi_Tyler

Apr 11, 2005
    Well, I didn't expect it to end there, but...I like it. It leaves a lot of things hanging which I suspect will keep us all riveted in the next installment of this trilogy. :) I'm anxious to see what happens between Anakin and Tristan, and if Anakin will seek out his student or let Tristan come to him. Whichever happens, it's sure to be explosive.

Awesome story! Great work!=D=

17. Skywalker_Angel

Sep 12, 2004
    Fantastic! I =D= I'm am looking forward to seeing what happens between Anakin and Padme. I really don't like the idea of them being apart for too long. :(

18. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Nyota's Heart =D= Congratulations on completing such a riveting fic and I am very glad there will be a follow-up. Definitely I will be on the lookout! @};-

Thank you. :) Yes, the 3rd story is coming. The outline is complete as are the first three chapters. Just doing some editing and things and it will be along soon.

Jedi_Tyler Well, I didn't expect it to end there, but...I like it.

Thanks. :)

It leaves a lot of things hanging which I suspect will keep us all riveted in the next installment of this trilogy.

Well, I hope it'll be riveting. :)

Awesome story! Great work!=D=

Again, thank you. :)

Skywalker_Angel I'm am looking forward to seeing what happens between Anakin and Padme. I really don't like the idea of them being apart for too long. :(

Well.....[face_worried]

Thanks for reading everyone!!^:)^