main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Truce at Bakura," by Kathy Tyers [Bantam, 1993]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"The Truce at Bakura," by Kathy Tyers [Bantam, 1993]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

14.0%
  2. 9

5.4%
  3. 8

23.7%
  4. 7

24.7%
  5. 6 (Average)

8.6%
  6. 5 (Average)

4.3%
  7. 4

7.5%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

3.2%
  10. 1 (Poor)

7.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/ttab_.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost. Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are approaching Imperial space with only one goal; total domination. Princess Leia sees the mission as an opportunity to achieve a diplomatic victory for the Alliance. But it assumes even greater importance when a vision of Obi-Wan Kenobi appears to Luke Skywalker with the message that he must go to Bakura-or risk losing everything the Rebels have fought so desperately to achieve."

TheForce.net Book Review for The Truce at Bakura.

3. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Pretty good novel that starts right after Return of the Jedi. I loved the scenes when the Imperials and people from the Rebellion had to find a way to work together, it was just how I pictured a time when they would have to work together to defeat a common foe. It was already pretty much assumed that the Imperials would double-cross the Rebels when they had a chance and of course they did at the first chance they got.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

Good "sequel" to Return of the Jedi.

-Evan

5. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I liked this book because it dealt with Leia's issues with her father very well and showed the first steps of forvivness.

6. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Considering how early in the EU the book was written, I'd say it was excellent. It introduced a new enemy other than the Empire, showed one of the first worlds to join the alliance post Endor, not to mention the way Imperial citizens felt about the death of the Emperor. The ssi Ruuk were a unique and interesting enemy, though they haven't been seen until the recent FH: Refugee book, I look forward to some Gap-filler novels with'em. The one thing I didn't like was the begining of a relationship between that capiston woman and luke.

10/10

7. DarthJDavis

DarthJDavis Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2003
    While this book was ok, I didn't care for the ssi ruk. They were just not that great of an enemy.

8. DarthJDavis

DarthJDavis Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2003
  9. HavokGamer

HavokGamer Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2003
    This is only the second novel I've read, but I find that I'm really forcing myself to finish it, it doesn't compare with Shadows of the Empire in the least.

10. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    That's 'exactly!' how I felt.

11. Jawa_Monkey_Droid

Jawa_Monkey_Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    Given the timing of this book, I'd have to say it was good. While not a tour de force like the Zahn trilogy, it still has a solid grip on Star Wars characterizations and gives us a good last dose of Empire versus Rebellion-style storytelling.

A good book for all Star Wars fans.

12. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    It was a little slow at the beginnig but the whole thing with Leia and Vader was cool. I also like that Luke found a person that could use the force. I wish he would have lived though. Also the Commader that defected to the Alliance. I was hoping from the beginning that he would do that.

13. Agent1432

Agent1432 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    5 Worst sw book ive read. didn't like it

14. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    I gave it a 9.

The book is very good, I think. It is a good sequel to Return of the Jedi , and I love when Leia and Anakin ("ghost") meeting each other..

15. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    I'd have to say an 8. It's a good book, but there are better ones. Of course there are worse ones as well. So, it definatly deservese to be in the upper portion of the SW book scale.

16. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    i gave it a 1. This is the worse SW book i have ever read, the writing is choppy and unimaginative. It did introduce some new characters that i like, but that is about it.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's okay, but Tyers' writing style isn't particularly well-suited to Star Wars. The Ssi-ruuk didn't interest me at all. The only saving grace is when Anakin's spirit visits Leia.

18. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003

The first chapter or two is a (10). In the beginning of this book I felt that it was a perfect continuation of The Return of the Jedi. If, in the theater, you wished that The Return of the Jedi would never end, then read the first two chapters of this book and you will get your wish (albeit, only for awhile). However, the middle of the book was a bit slow, not much happening. The book seemed to forget that a war was going on. But by the end of the book it picks up again. This is a good transition book from the original trilogy to the Expanded Universe. In the beginning of the book It felt like the movies, and by the end I felt that I was well into the EU, and wanted to "read" on.

19. Jbrewster1012

Jbrewster1012 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    I gave Truce at Bakura a 7. I thought the book was okay. I thought it got slow in the middle. I also wasn't sure what to think of the "force/life-draining" machines. I liked the idea of a book taking place right after ROTJ and the idea that the imperials and rebels must get along, but I think they could have picked a different story.

20. Zilch77

Zilch77 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    8/10
    One of my favorites, first book after first Zahn series. Had the feeling right after ROTJ.

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Another great stand alone SW book.

However I personally wish that Dev would have lived and became Lukes apprentice. I think it would have been cool to start having Jedi again right off the bat besides just Luke until the Jedi Academy Tril.

22. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    A few things.

This book would have been a ten if it werent for the Ssi-ruuvi. (sp?) It was just totally lame. I couldn't pronounce any of the names. Their 'entechment" was lame. The whole thing was just silly.

Bakura is an awesome planet. The isolation, the government in place. The repulsor-engine production. Everything about it, and their reaction to the imperieal occupation is amazing. PEREFCT.

Does this book sound a little like the NJO. The whole Yuuzhan Vong thing. Whats the chance that a galaxy gets barraged two time in 30 years by not one but TWO sets of extra-galactic invaders?

23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Opps, wrong book. I was thinking of The Bacta War. Anyways, I voted a 8, thinking it was The Bacta War. Sorry there.

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

24. Darth_SaberTooth

Darth_SaberTooth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    7-ok book, but....kinda trekish you gotta say.
    The ssi rukk were kinda weak and the transfer human force to droids was just...not star wars...
    great actions though.

25. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I gave it a 7. I liked the section with Leia and Anakin.....but the Ssi-Ruuk were weird, and Luke's swallowing those parasites or whatever they were was gross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.