main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Trudi Canavan Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've seen sevral mentions of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy around these boards, so I figure it's time a thread got started.

Though her books are more for young adults, I enjoyed them, and they do have some adult material. The Novice was a bit repetitive, but when I finished it I absolutely had to get my hands on the other two.

She's also started a new trilogy set in a different world. I think the first book is Priestess of the White.

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm currently halfway through The High Lord at the moment. Started The Magician's Guild on Monday, so you can guess that I like the books.

They just have the right mix of stuff to grab my attention. Adventure, mystery, romance (not enough romance if you ask me, but I can be a major romantic). Also there must be only two characters that I have genuinly disliked, Fergun and Regin. The characters are just so well written, I've found myself sometimes going "I like this guy" every other chapter, especially with Cery, Dannyl(I really like him) and also Akkarin. That kinda suprised me as I read Novice because there's always that nagging suspicion throughout that he's the bad guy, but I just liked his personality and sense of humour (slightly sarcastic, a bit like mine) and now that I know what his reasons were for using black (or higher) magic I'm definately like his honour and noble actions. I'm just at the bit in The High Lord where Akkarin and Sonea are about to enter Sachakan.

Totally loving it. Might read Canavan's new book, but not sure.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I [face_love] Danny :) He's one of my favorites, as well as . . . Dorrin? Sonea's trainer's son, I think that's his name.

Priestess of the White wasn't as good as the Black Magician trilogy--longer, more drawn-out, didn't really catch my attention--but it was good enough that I'm going to get the sequels.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I JUST finished it.

:_|Why did they have to kill Akkarin???? WHY????? OK, I know why, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. At least a happy ending for Dannyl and Tayend though [face_dancing] good thing one of the three couples in the book got a happy ending or I was gonna be even more annoyed. And it ended with hope and with Sonea doing what she always wanted to do, help the dwells.

Out of the trilogy I think that Novie is my favourite, followed by The High Lord and then The Magician's Guild.

Brilliant read, completely enjoyed it. Just wishing there was more. But now I'm at a loss as to what to read next. I've been reccormended the Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks, so maybe that.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I can give you a ton and a half of recommendations, but a good way to start would be browsing the list of upcoming books in the book club thread, looking at the two recommendation threads, and checking out some of the threads around here. Between those three, there is a lot of good stuff. And if you still want more, I could PM you a whole list :)

I like them in opposite order (like last one best, second in the middle, first least). Sorry, I'm terrible with titles.

6. khallandra

khallandra Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2004
    I'm quite enjoying 'Last of the Wilds' it isn't the same as her last trilogy but still rather enjoyable. I want Mischief!

7. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I finished the magicians guild a few weeks ago - in german, the translation was good so overall it was an easy read. the plot wasn't extraordinary, but nicely written up, so I was never bored. now I can't wait to buy all three in english and see if the original is as good! only two more weeks :D
    I was wondering if anyone else has read Priestress of the White, and could give a second opinion and brief review of it? Thanks.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    It was okay. I didn't love it. It's about a magical war between 10powerful beings (5 vs. 5) backed by gods. The youngest of the 5 (the set we hear about most) was just reciently raised, and is still getting used to her job. Her lover is part of a group of healers pretty much outlawed who is having dreams of the founder of his order. A bit confusing, sorry.

9. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I heard that after this trilogy she's gonna write a sequel to the Black Magician Trilogy.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, that would be fun!! I liked that, but I always throught the ending was a bit imcomplete.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually did finish the trilogy that began with "Priestess of the White" a year or two ago. It was actually fairly good. I just found my copy of the first book again and decided to re-read them.

Canavan does have plans for a sequel trilogy of the Magician's Guild in the works, about Sonea's and Akkaran's son, but she hasn't started writing them yet so there isn't a lot of information. I can't say I'm as excited as I used to be, though I'll probably at least give it a try when it comes out.

She has published or soon will publish (my library's listing it as "on order," but with my library it could have been published in the US several months ago. However, I haven't seen it in stores) The Magician's Apprentice, which takes place several hundred years before the Black Magician trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.