main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The true insanity, we should all be wary.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Sep 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I awoke this morning with the news of what has happened in the US, and in truth I just brushed it off as something minor. It wasn't untill later in the day, after hearing so many people talking about it and then hearing the full extent of what had happened on the radio, did I realize the enormity of it. I find that I am still very much in shock. Then I got home and turned on the TV and saw the footage. The destruction of the World Trade Centre, and the Pentagon. So many lives wasted. It pretty much hit me then.

I just don't understand it, it makes no sense, these... Demons (as I can't call them human) what did they hope to achieve? I guess I will never understand religious ferver, as surely only that type of madness would lead to this.

I grieve for what has happened, America is not a perfect nation, but no nation. No matter how big or small should ever suffer this type tragedy. It is senseless and serves no purpose, if they wanted violence, then I would say they have it, who ever these Demons are.

I grieve for humanity, I thought as whole we were above this sort of thing, left all that behind in the last World War and all that. Obviously not.

I hope that this tragedy will not drag the world into something that we have avoided for so long, it would be a shame if it did. War is not a healthy thing. Punish those who deserve it to be sure, but I hope we will be mindfull of where war will take us.

I mourne for the people of the US, I wish I could add more, but words fail me now. <sighs>

That is all

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I was falling asleep last night when the news started to break - I thought I was dreaming. Then I sort of woke up and saw the WTC on fire and I was dumbstruck. I was still trying to process this when the first tower crumbled. When the second one followed, I got up, found MrNeech and said to him 'The World Trade Centre in New York is gone' and he said 'yeh, I heard it got hit by a plane' and I said 'No, it's gone.'

His reply can't be posted, but we then spent 2 hours or so glued to CNN and MSNBC trying to come to terms with the tragedy.

Four planes, three buildings filled with people... I don't understand how any person can even consider doing something like this.

My thoughts and prayers are with all people affected by this tragedy.

What scared me more, though (and this is selfish I know), was the way we as Australians immediately pledged out support to the US. I support the US, and I hope they nuke the bastards, but what about CHOGM, next month, right here in Brisvegas? I'm sorry, but the leaders of so many countries in one spot? Talk about tempting. Do we really want to pi$$ anyone off right now?

3. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned about this happening - I would have written it off as just another hijacking with terrible consequences. But this is personal - I know a couple of officers on exchange at the Pentagon. It becomes an entirely different matter altogether.

What I'm really scared about is America's response to this. It needs to be more than just a couple of cruise missiles lobbed at factories, but not a full scale war. A fine balance has to be found somewhere, and I'm not sure a sleeping giant like America can handle it.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    My condolences go to the American people who have suffered by this cowardly attack.

Jedidaniel

5. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Id it were a movie then you wouldn't believe it?, as others have said, my condolences to those killed and their friends and relatives

Oh and yes, any western country is at danger of such attacks, oh and yes I think that if America retaliates with military strikes as they surely will, I heard that 94% of Americans thus surveyed support them, then it could trigger one almighty war, primarily Muslim countries against the Christian West

America has to be smart here.

6. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Things will never be the same again

7. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I think everyone here has pretty muched expressed the same feelings I have in some form or another so I won't bother repeating what has already been said.

In a strange way though, the impression that I get of this event in the years to come is something akin to man taking his first step on the moon for our generation.

I just wish that we got something more 'magical' to bring us together in front of the television and not this.

8. JediLeia

JediLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    i only have one thing to say , i hope these Bastards(sorry about the swearing sil) get brought to justice .
    How could anyone even think to take human lives , it's an appaling thought that somebody could do that

9. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Some ones head is going to roll for this, there is no doubt about that.

10. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    I think heads would be better than a single head KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

11. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I just wanted to also express the absloute shock, anger and fear that we all feel I guess. Whilst the anger tries to overtake me, I hope that in some way, I and many others can remember that the world is not the same for everyone, and the absolute hatred that some people feel for others is very real to them, and is very much what their lives is about. I hope to never understand it, but I know it is how many people live every minute of their lives, and for that I am truly sorry, for them and for the world. I only hope that this can be a moment when most of the worlds stands together and says that this is not how it has to be. I don't understand religion, or that extreme hatred for any reason. I do know it exists. My favourite quote from a man I admire, Bono, said "Believe in a cause enough to die for it, but never enough to kill for it."
    I have a photo of me standing on top of one of one of the towers of the trade centre, looking over at the second tower, with Manhatten behind me. It was an amazing view and a moment that sticks in my mind now more than ever. I remember thinking how small everything seemed from there and I was too scared to look over the side at the ground right below me. To me, standing on top of those towers was really seeing New York. I'm sorry others won't get the chance.

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    There is no excuse for mass murder. None what's so ever.

13. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Too true, Grieyls. It's a sad pity that some people will never understand that.

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I hear they have found a direct link with one of the terrorists to that Arab guy, (what is his name, Abin something?) Well, I hope that it's a reliable link, the world can not afford any mistakes in this.

15. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    You are quite correct in that, Grieyls. The US government has, for the first time, publicly accused Osama bin Laden of orchestrating the attacks. The follow on is that the American military is being prepared for a ground and air conflict. I truly hope they have learnt their lesson from the Australian Army in Vietnam - win the hearts and minds of the people, and you win the war.

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I think they already have our hearts in this matter. Seems everybody I talk to pretty much agrees.

17. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    You've missed and got my point at the same time Grieyls. Yes, they have the support of people like you and me around the world. But think back to why they lost the war in Vietnam. It was because they did not win the popular support of the locals in Vietnam. However, during the Australian Army's stay in Nam, our troops won the support of the local populace, and effectively crushed basis of support that the Viet Cong and NVA were trying to build in Australia's region of responsibilty.

To win a war against bin Laden and his cronies in Afghanistan, on a very simple level, America must win the support of the locals in Afghanistan, either by making and keeping promises, or by showing them that life will be much better for them if they cooperate.

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Further to that. it's time for america to look at who it supports. During my lifetime and yours America has supported both Saddam and Osama bin Laden. Those names ring any bells?

19. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well that I didn't know Ceaser. I do see what you mean now.

20. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, kahli, I guess we can count those among the great oops' of history. America really should have picked their sides a little better in both cases.

With Saddam, they should have stayed right right out of it, and with bin Laden fighting against the Russians, they should have backed the Mudjahedeen, and kept up that support even after the Russians had pulled out. But unfortunately, bad decisions at the time don't and didn't show the results until a long time after the fact.

21. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Can't turn back the clock now though.

22. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Exactly, which is why they need to be careful now. This has the potential to blow up in their faces, but only if it is handly incorrectly. Unfortunately, we won't whether it's been done wrong until after we get bitten on the arse again.

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    We can only wait and see. Let us hope that the US will tread carefully indeed.

24. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    The term 'Collateral Damage' comes to mind.

25. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I must say that I have been impressed with how the US is handling things so far, let's hope they can keep it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.