main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The True Intentions of the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jvberggren, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    the force created anakin to determine once and for all what side (light or dark) was stronger. anakin was created as a normal being (with both evil and good qualities). it was important to make him a little of both, in order to give anakin and the galaxy a real choice.

from that point, the force intervenes no longer. it simply sits back and observes. consider this a test to determine the quality of man -the force's way of understanding its own creation.

if the dark side wins and eventually wipes all life out, then so be it... that will only prove that man is dark and not worthy of survival anyway.

but there is always the chance that the light side is stronger. the force itself doesn't know what side is stronger though. that's basically what it's trying to find out -it's confused! obviously the force can't interfere, because the "experiment" would be compromised.

perhaps that's why obi wan can't interfere as well?

posted this at the wrong forum. is better suited here. appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

tried "the force" on the search button, but only came up with one match!!! so if this has been discussed, let me know and i'll lock.

2. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm fairly certain that, though the Force does have a will, it's not like a god. It's not the Force that creates living things; as Yoda says, "Life creates it, makes it grow." It is up to individuals to determine their destiny, which is why the Force has a light side and a dark side. But that's just IMO.

3. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    not like a personal god. i agree! it's more depicted that way to explain what the force is doing... almost like how the universe itself find solutions and build on a set of laws to make sure that evolution is served. the laws of the universe does sort of dictate or make sure that only certain life forms and ways of life are possible...

the force is like nature -only somewhat more aware of what it's doing.

4. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Neither side is stronger, and the Anakin serves as a fulcrum to bring balance back to the Force. The Force is quite like the deistic interpretation of God: an impersonal, source of the First Cause, and watch-maker in the sky. :)

<[-]> Saber

5. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    i think at that point in history the light side is stronger... another time the dark side might prove to be stronger though. it's not a rigid concept, but a fluent one imo -circumstance is everything!

btw, like your "def." on the force. sort of sums up what i was trying to say in one sentence :)

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I truly don't believe the Force has a will per se or intentions for that matter.

Yoda says that the Force is created by every living thing. So the Force really is an energy field created by all these things. The Force is neither good nor bad, what makes it good or bad are individuals and how they exploit the Force. If you tap into the energy created by anger and hate, you are more powerful but that same power consumes you. That is what the "Dark Side" really is.

Now, I believe that since the Force went out of balance, the energy field had a glitch, a blip. Anakin. It wasn't a conscious attempt by anything to "right itself," just a natural reaction to something that was off balance, much like when animal populations attain a balance by means of predation, ect.

To me the Force is less mystic and more a way of talking about Nature in a way humans can understand it.

7. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    i agree with a lot of your views on the force, although i tend to think that the force is somewhat more conscious and aware of what it's doing.

I truly don't believe the Force has a will per se or intentions for that matter.

the will of the force is to create the best set of circumstances for life -similar to the "intentions" of nature. in doing so it has created (imo the force is the creator of all things) living beings. but these beings have flaws...

it simply does its job -optimize living conditions. and now it's time to find out wether its creation is too flawed and needs correction. sort of like evolution. if it's not self sustainable, then nature dictates that it be removed.

so i guess you could say that the force creates anakin to see wether man will destroy itself or not!

it's not like it contemplates on its decisions, but rather that it's automatically "programmed" to respond to a certain set of circumstances.

8. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.