main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The TRUE LIGHT side aka NOT the Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Django Fett33, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Love is not the same thing as attachment. Obi-Wan loved Satine, but he didn't become Darth Santa.
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    This thread makes little to no sense. I will add that I like tge Aing-Ti Monks and their "rainbow" view of the Force the best.

3. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Wait, I think Darth Santa was on that Christmas episode of Futurama...lol

Obi-Wan may have loved Satine, but he kept those emotions largely suppressed (the whole, "strong emotion" thing...). Either way, I don't think it was something the Jedi Council would have approved of. Then again, there is instances of times thousands of year before the battle of Yavin where Jedi regularly fell in love and had kids, and the whole nine yards, right? Perhaps love is one of those emotions that is on the watch list for Jedi...

What about the other aspect of my argument, though? There must be a balance between light and dark? Just curious as to your thoughts, there, too, sir.

4. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Wasn't it the Aing-Ti monks who thought that there was no light or dark, there was just the Force?

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yes....

From the Wook:

Unlike the Jedi or Sith, the Aing-Tii held that the Force had neither a light nor a dark side,but was full of many colors, like a rainbow.

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I can see why the bathroom would be the dark side.

Any who mix it up with Fresher and get it wrong one too many times is bound to piss somebody off.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That depends upon what constitutes light and dark, which varies.

You're likely thinking of the Potentium, which believed that the Force was inherently good and that evil and the dark side were illusory. Vergere has been interpreted by some to espouse a philosophy in which there is no light or dark, only the Force, but I would say that this is a flawed interpretation. It is not what Jacen took away from her, in any case. But this has led Vergere to be erroneously conflated with the Potentium.

I think when the dark side is out of balance it means the toilet is clogged.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But it's what she said, which is why the association tends to be made.

Some of us subscribe to an old-school teaching philosophy in which what the teacher tells the student is what the student is expected to "take away", as opposed to the opposite.

I mean, if medical schools operated that way... all I can say is, don't ever get sick.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She says different things in different books.

She talks about "the Dark Side" to Luke a lot, in Destiny's Way.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Fear? Anger? Despair? Suffering? Sounds about right. :p

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I take it you've never spoken to a Zen monk.

Not all religions and spiritualities operate by a strict code of rules lawyering. In fact, most don't! Though I suppose that interestingly enough, the Yuuzhan Vong do.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They have to so they can kill all that begin to question why it was a good idea to travel across the void between galaxies

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have the term light side actually been used by the jedi in any official material? I have not heard that term in any of the movies, bocks or cartoon episodes I have seen/read.
    The way I have understood it there is no light side there is just the Force and part of it is quicker, easier and often more destructive which make it more seductive. This part/s are what we in lack of better words call the dark side. By claming that the Force have a light and a dark side we give it a non-existing duality

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure some novels like I, Jedi mention a light side.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Teaching doesn't require a "strict code of rules lawyering". It's just that telling the student falsehood, in the hope that the student will take away a completely different message, is not universally recognized as effective teaching or even morally sound behavior.

The Force is not just the subject of some real-world "religion". It is real. It is an energy field that really exists in-universe. As such it can have certain properties.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think most religious people would take exception to your dismissing their religion as not real. And yeah, they do teach that way and yeah they do think their religion is real and has "certain properties." Ever heard of Chi? Prana?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It happens - I think the TCW Mortis episodes refer to The Daughter as using the "light side"

Sometimes both sides are given special names - "Ashla" and "Bogan" are the terms used.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I have not jet seen the Mortis episodes

But Ashla and Bogan were used by the je'daii not the jedi

I think you are confusing "controlled emotions" and "no emotions"

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Once again, the big difference is that Vergere's "teaching method" ( snicker ) to emphasize the all-encompassing importance of "internal dark sides" is to deny the existence of the external dark side. Yoda does not do this. Not only is his interaction with Luke in TESB predicated on the existence of the external dark side, but in the AOTC script we hear from the same Yoda that the dark side is growing and clouding everything. These are not references to "Yoda's dark side".

So why does Teacher of the Year feel the need to deny the external dark side in order to insist on the shocking revelation of internal dark sides? Is she unable to comprehend that the two are in no way mutually exclusive? Does she not see that, given the Force is generated by living things, you get some kind of default external dark side just by adding up all the internal dark sides? Or is it just a case of author bias?

And that somehow makes it real? Well, I'm convinced.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Arden Lyn also uses them in the transcript of her account of the split between the Jedi and Xendor's faction, in The Essential Guide to Warfare.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Arawn_Fenn you know star wars isn't real, right?

22. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Blasphemy! lol

23. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

great post. i always found jedi like obi-wan, yoda and qui-gon interesting because when they died they ascended to the force. which i still dont understand where they went. did they become one with the force? did they enter a light side realm? i know qui-gon's body didnt vanish but he still ascended and apparently obi-wan would talk to him in some story (i have no idea which one) and teach him.

the jedi have one weird religion compared to the sith. at least with the sith you know there motivations. control and destruction to the galaxy. the jedi bring "balance to the force," WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?

Starwarsfan1439 likes this.
  24. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Yeah! The only way one can bring balance to the Force is if there are two sides, and what else could they be if one side is the Dark Side? The Gray side? Ridiculous. It therefore has to be the Light Side.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So you say that a sphere can not have balace since it only have one side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.