main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The true point of the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jun 21, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Bingo. Palpatine creates a false war which he manipulates, in order to get the Republic to give him power in exchange for security. It's also to eliminate as many of his enemies as possible.

"This idea of a democracy being given up and in many cases being given up in a time of crisis, you see it throughout history whether it's Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Adolf Hitler, you see these democracies under a lot of pressure, in a crisis situation, who end up giving up a lot of the freedoms they have and a lot of the checks and balances to somebody with a strong authority to help get them through the crisis. It's not the first time a politician has created a war to try to stay in office."

--George Lucas, Lenoard Maltin interview, 1999.

One of the larger issues that surfaced in the telling of Anakin's fall to the dark side and his rise to becoming a corrupt figure was that of the fall
    of democracy at the hands of the very people who initially fought oppression.

"You have the personal issue of Anakin and his turn to the dark side, but then the children later bring him back to being a human being," Lucas says. "But the larger issue is that you've given up your democracy, and that the bad guys never took it -- it was handed to them. That theme was there 30 years ago which came out of the Vietnam War and Nixon wanting to change the rules so he could get a third term."

"I'm a big history buff and I was really into Caesar at the time," Lucas recalls. "I always wanted to know why the Roman Senate gave Caesar's nephew a dictatorship after they had gotten rid of Caesar. Why after the revolution in France did they create an Emperor? Why did the Germans after they had a Democracy after World War I, turn it into a dictatorship? Those were my initial questions 30 years ago."

--George Lucas, Star Wars Homing Beacon #142

Vialco and kubricklynch like this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Actually, the word stormtrooper goes back to WWI and the tactic of infiltration, with small units infiltrating enemy lines in advance of the real attack. The soldiers were referred to as "Sturmmann" which gets roughly translated as assault or storm trooper. The name of the SS, on the other hand, actually means Guard squadron.

There definately are elements of the Nazi rise and rule, though I'd say it's more of a combination of various historic events, as evidenced above, including the US civil war.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    The true point of the Clone Wars was for "the FIRST... GALACTIC... EMPIYAH!" to be established under Palpatine's rule.