main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The true reason why the plot feels so rushed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    What is true reason for the plot feeling so overly fast-paced and rushed? Well, it's because all of the events in the movie takes place during the same day, which is the shortest time for any Star Wars movie to date.

I found this on another website made by a user called Plutor. He breaks down how long time passes in real-time in each film.
    • The Phantom Menace - The Invasion of Naboo took place completely during the year 32 BBY (before the Battle of Yavin). The only specific date I can find is the Siege, which began on 3:4:14. But definitely less than one year.
    • Attack of the Clones - The attempted assassination of Senator Amidala happened on 13:5:16. But it says the same date for the beginning of the First Battle of Geonosis. Seems very unlikely, especially given Anakin and Padme's vacation on Naboo and, later, wedding. This blog says 13:5:29. So either less than a day or more likely about 13 days.
    • Revenge of the Sith - The Battle of Coruscant ends on 16:5:20. Luke and Leia were born on 16:5:24. About 4 days. (As mentioned in the comments, this conflicts with the fact that Padme isn't yet obviously pregnant at the start of the movie, and yet has given birth by the end. That would suggest something closer to 3 or 4 months.)
    • A New Hope - Owen and Beru Lars were killed on 35:3:5 (the Tantive IV was captured a day or two previous). The Battle of Yavin also occurred sometime in 35:3. I've found a page that claims it happened on 35:3:9. So definitely less than a month, probably about 6 days.
    • The Empire Strikes Back - The Battle of Hoth occurred on 38:6:6 (Luke fought the Wampa probably a day or two previous). It's not clear when the duel in the Cloud City took place, but it's likely it was also sometime that month. Wookieepedia says this movie and the next are separated by 8 months, which would make it 38:7:3. So about 1 month.
    • Return of the Jedi - The Mission to Jabba's Palace began on 39:3:3. The Battle of Endor took place in 39:3. That neat blog cites 39:3:6. Which would make it about 3 days.

Now, if you look at The Force Awakens, you'll quickly find that 99 % of the events in film takes place during the same day.

BREAKDOWN OF DAY 1: The village raid takes place in the middle of the night before dawn. At dawn, Rey heads out for scavenging before breakfast, and shortly thereafter Finn and Poe escape but Finn crashes into Jakku. During Finn's unconsciousness, Rey has breakfast at home and finds BB-8. After a bit more scavenging before lunch, Finn reaches the marketplace. From this point on, there is basically no breathe of air. Action, action, action. Han Solo captures the Falcon. Action, action, action. Takodana. Some exposition, then action! First Order strike! Action! Resistance arrives and wins. Rey is captured. Everybody heads to the resistance base. Everybody prepares for the battle before evening. Han, Finn and Chewie prepare for their mission to save Rey. Action, action, action! Lightsabers in the evening! Resistance wins, heroes suffer great losses.
      BREAKDOWN OF DAY 2: Rey and Leia's got new clothes. R2 and BB-8 reveals the map and Rey travels to Luke. The End.

Day 2 is so short, so I'd say that the majority of the movie takes place during the same day. Personally, I think this was a bad decision.

2. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Sorry for DP, but could a mod or admin please change the name of the thread to "The plot in TFA takes place during a single day - thoughts?"

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The Force Awakens is problematic, IMO, but I don't think it has anything to do with the internal chronology/passing of time in the film. We see at least 2 sunsets...

4. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    It's certainly not the only reason, but I'd say it played a vital role when JJ and Kasdan wrote the script. I'm sure they had an idea of making everything take place during a 24 hour period.

5. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    This movie is incredibly full of content (and I don't mean dialog, which would kill it, but - the events). There are many events that take place one after another, after another, after another...
    In 9/10 cases it doesn't work - here it does (due supreme acting, and overall execution etc).

Now, the moment when we get in is when the 1st Order is at full military expansion, and is starting up with the conquest (a result of decades long buildup, and who knows what else, that we missed). So, as it is a blitzkrieg of sorts, that dictates and fires up other events (think of Nazi Germany 38-40, it's loaded with events). Key element of blitzkrieg is speed, so there it is - day 1.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The story may seem rushed because of pressure to keep the running time close to 2 hours. At some point they decided that 2:15 was as tight as they could get the narrative, and perhaps it was too tight. I imagine there's a lot of content that may work its way into an extended edition. Taking advantage of Peter Jackson's LOTR model for DVD releases is going to be a big part of this movie's revenue model.

Strongbow likes this.
  7. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    How do we know it was the same day? I really doubt Poe got the map, got captured, tortured, rescued, disappears, re-appears as the leader of a squadron on a completely different part of the galaxy all in one day. Also Rey gets rations TWICE in the morning of "day one". I doubt that's actually the case. Those were two different days IMO
    The only indication it happens during one day is that Rey/Finn doesn't change clothes? Or is there something else? Do we know exactly how long hyperspace travel takes, and the distances they travel in this movie?

This is after one viewing.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think it felt rushed a bit because they wanted to cover to touch on many things a bit instead of focusing on what was really important in the second half. Again Maz. Worthless. That was what..10-15 minutes of the movie that you could done without. I know everyone is talking about the pirate/monster fight but at least that was fun interaction and then a cool little action escape. Meanwhile Maz is just talking about "eyes" in 100% generalities.

9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I hope so.... not because I think there's a problem (I haven't seen it yet), but because I really think that model offers an opportunity to serve different audiences. People like me LOVE the super long LOTR extended editions, and I would love extended editions of Star Wars films too, so long as they elaborate on the films, rather than change them. As an LOTR fan, I think the extended editions are almost invariable better for ME, but I doubt they would have played as well in the theater.

10. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

This. Well, both of these.

Norminator likes this.
  11. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    The thing is, TFA wears the same skin as ANH, but underneath it's different beast altogether IMO.
    In PT we had a civil war, in OT uprising, here full frontal conflict - direct conquest. Consequently, the the speed how events unfold is much different.

12. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I really hope they do release an extended version cause the biggest problem with this film is how rushed it is.

I think this was at least two days though, not one.

Matthew_Wolverine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.