main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Truth About Beginnings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Dec 15, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    --- Just so everyone knows, this is my first attempt at Fan Fiction, so bear with me. I had an idea, though, and sometimes you just have to follow them. ---

A sky blue lightsaber left tracks across the line of vision. If one weren't looking carefully, one could almost convince himself that it have been the imagination over-reacting. But carefully observance plus noticing the arm attached to the lightsaber could disprove any thoughts of the imagination. Oblivious to anything around, the Jedi Knight kept working at the forms and methods taught. The saber flowed from form to form like water being poured from a jug. Gradually, the saber came to a halt, perfectly vertical. The Jedi looked up the length of the weapon, peering calmly at the tip. Eyes closed, then the face smoothed into a serene look of concentration. The blade disappeared as the sharp green eyes opened and focused on the world without. The Jedi smiled slightly as she lowered her arms. Releasing a sigh of satisfaction, her body relaxed. Closing her eyes again, she lifted her head towards the sun and drank up its warmth. Her face glowed in pure happiness as she shook off the chill of practicing the art of war. Although the thought of destruction chilled her to the core, she practiced that hardest of all, as if to prove to herself she could overcome anything without as well as within.

Avien Maralday walked to the edge of the practice yard and sat down on a bench. She inspected the length of her weapon, making sure it was still in perfect working order. Once satisfied that the saber was in perfect condition, she set about loosing her mahogany hair from its tightly braided bun at the base of her neck. She ran her fingers through it, making the tresses shimmer and dance in the sunlight. She finished and stood up, shaking her hair out down to her hips. She gather up the rest of her things and began to walk away.

"Now that you've finished your ritual, will you allow to be approached?" asked a melodic voice behind her. It was deep but carried well, despite being soft.

Avien turned around and smiled ruefully at the speaker. "Now, Qui-Gon, I would hardly think of you as being intimidated against approaching any one. You know as well as I that the only reason you weren't raised to Jedi Knight quicker was because of the fact you had a nasty habit of giving the higher authorities a piece of your mind where it ought not be heard!"

He laughed not unkindly. "Well, just because you were terrified of them doesn't mean I should have been. Besides, that was a year and a half ago. Why dwell on it?"

She shook her head, laughing at him. ?You weren?t always that way, as I recall. You came only a few days after me to this place, and as most of us five-year-olds were, you were frightened of the older Jedi Masters and Knights. You even had a hard time talking to your fellow padawans. You weren?t always as forward as you are now.?

Qui-Gon just shook his head and didn?t comment. The unreadable Jedi mask settled back into place and all hints of the friendly banter disappeared. ?Regardless of the past, it still can?t be changed and doesn?t merit being dwelled on.? Avien just sighed. There was no use trying when he settled into one of his moods.

--- More later, if I get positive feedback. Please comment!!! ----

[This message has been edited by The Musical Jedi (edited 12-16-1999).]

2. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    --- Here is the next installment. I don't know if anyone is reading this, but I'm certainly enjoying writing it. Please respond! ---

Even once I knew him well, even after we had lost contact with each other, I knew that Qui-Gon was never simply as he appeared on the surface. Few people ever realized that, but then, few people had him as well as I did. We had become fast friends at the young age of five, but then you had to if you were to survive the Jedi training. But he had it harder than most. While the other children who had come had memories of their families to cling to, happy reminiscence of the childhood to look back on, Qui-Gon Jinn never had any such luxury. He had seen his own parents killed at the age of three and remembered it vividly. He managed to survive for two years with a life he has always refused to discuss, until a Jedi Master felt the presence of the Force within him. Impressed by the raw talent, Qui-Gon Jinn was brought to the Jedi Temple a mere four days after I was. We made an uneasy alliance that grew into friendship, since both of us had many problems with the other padawans. Even before he earned his domineering height and intimidating appearance, he had his piercing gaze which made it seem as though he was looking straight through you. Many of the other padawans who came into contact with him found this threatening, and consequently, he wound up in many fights. I, on the other hand, had always been argumentative and found patience the hardest Jedi virtue to maintain. Neither of us were overly well-liked, but we had one another. Many times had the stern Jedi Master, who made promises to ignore the requests of the Council to the Council, come to me to bury his head in my lap and cry. And I, one of the most respected Jedi Masters who isn?t on the Council, had gone to him for the same reason. He was the first, and for a long time, the only Jedi whose mask I could read through. I guess that linked us together even more tightly than the bond between our Jedi Masters and ourselves. Even looking back now, so many years ago, I could pinpoint the exact second I knew of his death. But it was so much more than that, it was a bond of our lives. I knew when he was tired, when he was afraid. When he was happy or content as well. And he knew me that way as well. I suppose it?s not an uncommon thing among Jedis, and I also suppose it was truly no surprise especially considering how attuned we both were to the Force. Still, it was never a thought in my head that he should be the one to find the Chosen One, although I did believe him destined for greatness. Still, regardless of his accomplishments in life, I shall always think of him as the little boy I first met, with long, dark, tangled hair he begrudgingly asked me to brush and the piercing blue eyes which pleadingly asked for someone to talk to.

3. Jedi Erica Amidala

Jedi Erica Amidala Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 1999
    I really like this story...please continue!

4. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Avien and Qui-Gon continued down the corridors of the Jedi Temple. They talked quietly, but not about anything earth-shattering. They discussed when they would be allowed to take on padawans, and also when they would get assignments somewhere other than Coruscant. As they wandered the honeycomb corridors, padawans ducked respectfully out of the way, and Avien and Qui-Gon nodded respectfully to the Masters. Avien stifled a yawn which turned into a chuckle as she noticed that Qui-Gon was staring at her and shaking his head. ?I know, I know. I?m going to head to my rooms, take a shower and head to bed. You always say that evening is the worst time to practice my saber, but I think it?s the best. People always remember what the first and last things they do are.?

?Well, then I?m covered because I always practice in the morning. Speaking of practicing, I must leave you to your own devices because Starrad has asked me to help him again.? He sighed. ?The poor child hasn?t found his natural grace. I can?t get him to find his balance, so he has trouble. Then again, he is only seven, so it may just take time. Maybe sometime you should join our lessons, since you had that problem yourself.?

?Some other time. Besides, you should probably ask him if he would mind. When I was learning all of that, I do not enjoy having extra observers in my lessons because they made me self-conscious, and then I did even worse!? Her voice trembled at the memory. ?I?d be happy to help, though, if you think I will and Starrad is all right with it. Well, I?ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night and I hope he does well.? Avien lowered her eyes, thinking back to how frustrated she would get when the forms wouldn?t come. She closed her eyes as the memories flooded back to her of things she had failed, of the times she hadn?t quite made it. It overwhelming her. No, her mother cried, you can?t leave your baby brother like that, unattended. He?ll hurt himself, and it would be your fault. Tears fell, for the memories stung now, even sixteen years later. The words had always fallen on her like well-aimed physical attacks. What would we do without your brother? She buried her head in her hands as she remembered the number of times she was told that her brother was the only thing her mother had left, from her father who died during the pregnancy. Oh, Papa, how much I miss you. She took a deep breath. No need to cry, Her saber teacher would tell her when he made the mistake of chastising her too hard. It will improve itself with practice. Qui-Gon drew an arm around her and held her close.

?It?s all right,? he said soothingly. ?That?s not what I meant and you know it. Calm down. You?re okay now.? Avien?s shoulders shook with each silent sob. Her hands pressed against her face because her pride, even now, had trouble allowing herself to let go to her emotions. Gingerly, he rubbed her back and led her to her rooms. He guided her to a chair and sat her down. ?Calm down and have a cup of herbal tea or something. I have to go to Starrad?s lesson, but I?ll check on you later, all right?? Avien nodded slightly and ran one hand through her hair. She looked at Qui-Gon and tried to smile bravely, although it only managed to make her look more upset. Qui-Gon looked over her one last time, his face divulging his concern for her. He left, though, and as soon as he disappeared out the door, Avien let her emotions run loose and began crying over her memories again.

When Qui-Gon Jinn returned, she hadn?t moved from the spot.

[This message has been edited by The Musical Jedi (edited 01-08-2000).]

5. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Avien and Qui-Gon continued down the corridors of the Jedi Temple. They talked quietly, but not about anything earth-shattering. They discussed when they would be allowed to take on padawans, and also when they would get assignments somewhere other than Coruscant. As they wandered the honeycomb corridors, padawans ducked respectfully out of the way, and Avien and Qui-Gon nodded respectfully to the Masters. Avien stifled a yawn which turned into a chuckle as she noticed that Qui-Gon was staring at her and shaking his head. ?I know, I know. I?m going to head to my rooms, take a shower and head to bed. You always say that evening is the worst time to practice my saber, but I think it?s the best. People always remember what the first and last things they do are.?

?Well, then I?m covered because I always practice in the morning. Speaking of practicing, I must leave you to your own devices because Starrad has asked me to help him again.? He sighed. ?The poor child hasn?t found his natural grace. I can?t get him to find his balance, so he has trouble. Then again, he is only seven, so it may just take time. Maybe sometime you should join our lessons, since you had that problem yourself.?

?Some other time. Besides, you should probably ask him if he would mind. When I was learning all of that, I do not enjoy having extra observers in my lessons because they made me self-conscious, and then I did even worse!? Her voice trembled at the memory. ?I?d be happy to help, though, if you think I will and Starrad is all right with it. Well, I?ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night and I hope he does well.? Avien lowered her eyes, thinking back to how frustrated she would get when the forms wouldn?t come. She closed her eyes as the memories flooded back to her of things she had failed, of the times she hadn?t quite made it. It overwhelming her. No, her mother cried, you can?t leave your baby brother like that, unattended. He?ll hurt himself, and it would be your fault. Tears fell, for the memories stung now, even sixteen years later. The words had always fallen on her like well-aimed physical attacks. What would we do without your brother? She buried her head in her hands as she remembered the number of times she was told that her brother was the only thing her mother had left, from her father who died during the pregnancy. Oh, Father, how much I miss you. She took a deep breath. No need to cry, Her saber teacher would tell her when he made the mistake of chastising her too hard. It will improve itself with practice. Qui-Gon drew an arm around her and held her close.

?It?s all right,? he said soothingly. ?That?s not what I meant and you know it. Calm down. You?re okay now.? Avien?s shoulders shook with each silent sob. Her hands pressed against her face because her pride, even now, had trouble allowing herself to let go to her emotions. Gingerly, he rubbed her back and led her to her rooms. He guided her to a chair and sat her down. ?Calm down and have a cup of herbal tea or something. I have to go to Starrad?s lesson, but I?ll check on you later, all right?? Avien nodded slightly and ran one hand through her hair. She looked at Qui-Gon and tried to smile bravely, although it only managed to make her look more upset. Qui-Gon looked over her one last time, his face divulging his concern for her. He left, though, and as soon as he disappeared out the door, Avien let her emotions run loose and began crying over her memories again.

When Qui-Gon Jinn returned, she hadn?t moved from the spot.

6. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Great story. Keep posting it.

7. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great story!

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Burst of applause

Well, I'm hooked.....any more??

Kithera

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    --- Thanks for the positive feedback!! ---

He shook his head when he saw her, still in the chair. ?You can?t always do this to yourself,? he told her quietly. ?I know sometimes the past hurts. It follows you around like some haunt, overshadowing you. But that?s the trick to life. You have to overcome your past so that you can take command of your future.? He crouched down in front of her and looked up into her eyes. ?How many times have you told me that?? His Jedi mask of calmness slid away, as he face contorted in grief. But then it was gone, the mask slipped back into place. He lowered his eyes and made an effort to control himself. ?How many times have you told me that you have to take things as they come and not worry about what you can?t change? How many??

Avien looked down at her friend. ?You?re right. Then again, you?re always right. It?s not fair when you use my own logic against me, you realize. It?s just not fair.? Qui-Gon rocked back and sat down on the floor. Avien stood up and began pacing. ?But I just can?t abandon the past. It?s a part of me, however much it hacks against me. You should know, you still have nightmares about your childhood, so much worse than mine. We both were brought here for a purpose and I?m sure that who were are and that past that created us . . .? She trailed off as a soft knock came from her door. Running one hand over her face and flipping her hair behind her shoulders, she opened the door.

At the door stood a small boy, reaching no more than halfway between Avien?s knees and hips. Even admitting the fact that Avien was quite tall for a female, almost reaching Qui-Gon?s height, it was still a small boy that stood before her. The boy had dusty blond hair and deep, hazel eyes. He looked startled to see Avien open the door and immediately looked at his feet. When he did that, Avien noticed another boy peering around the edge of the corridor, looking equally surprised to see her. He just gaped at her, until he summoned up the courage to say something.

?Umm, why . . . I mean, who . . .? He blushed a rosy color of red, then started over again. ?What I mean to say is, I thought this was some other Knight?s rooms and I didn?t mean to bother you. I?m sorry.? He bobbed his head in a frightened attempt at proper respect that is due to Jedi Knights and turned to leave.

?May I ask who you were looking for? I may be able to help,? she asked quickly, smiling to herself. He turned back around and looked at her a little curiously.

?I was looking for Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn. We just finished our lesson, and I wanted to ask him something and, . . . well, I?ve never been in a Knight?s room before. I can?t imagine Knights have to share like the padawans do.? He stopped abruptly, then looked at his companion as though he?d said too much.

Avien smiled. ?Well, he is in here, if you would like to see him, although they are my rooms instead of his.? He looked at her with a look of wonder mixed with curiosity. She stood aside and gestured him to come in. ?You can come in too, if you like,? she called to his companion down the hall. He glanced at her shyly and then walked into the room.

Her front room had two chairs and a table, plus an area where she could make her own meals, if she chose. It opened into her bedroom. The two rooms were divided by two large glass doors that could be opened to make one large room or closed to make the rooms separate. There was a bathroom and shower, plus a closet, off the bedroom. Other than that, the rooms were sparsely furnished with few personal effects. Avien headed to her closet and produced two stools for the boys to sit on.

?Would either of you like anything to drink or eat?? she asked them. Both of them shook their heads shyly. She sat down in one of the chairs and motioned for Qui-Gon to sit down as well. She smiled again at their timidity and turned to Qui-Gon. ?Any for you??

He shook his head. ?So, Starrad, who?s your friend? Is he a fellow padawan??

Starrad looked at Qui-Gon and immediately seemed to open up

10. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    Tall as Qui-Gon? She could play in the WNBA! aww... looks good so far. And plot advancement is good, really it is.

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    --- No WNBA for Avien. She's got bigger things ahead of her ---

Avien awoke with a start. She could feel the pain, agony, and fear of something or someone rippling through her. Gritting her teeth, she opened herself to the Force, having to find out if it could offer any sort of explanation.

The feelings redoubled and expanded to nearly unbearable, as Avien expected. The general feeling that she got was confusion and terror. Someone was on a rampage, killing whatever was in sight with no regard for reason. She began to shiver, and let go of the Force. Feeling cold all over from her glimpse, she rubbed herself, attempting to generate heat. She could still feel the dull reverberations seeping in to her consciousness, which told her the carnage was not finished.

She got out of bed and began putting on her cadin?sor, the traditional robes of the Jedi Knights and Masters, complete with the dark outer robe. She knew that the Jedi Council would want to meet with their champions of peace and justice very soon. With most of them off the planet, and those who were on the planet asleep, any early risers would most likely be appreciated. She brushed out her hair and left it to lay down her back in dark waves. Then, she left, heading for the Jedi Council Chamber.

As she walked through the maze of corridors and hallways, she wondered why they all stood silent. It stood to reason that the other Knights would have felt this disturbance, and would probably have been woken up themselves. But the hallways stood silent, and Avien received the impression that she was walking through a set of catacombs instead.

A padawan rounded a corner at a dead run, and he nearly ran into Avien. He skidded to a halt and bowed as respect towards his elders dictated, shaking with the effort of running and the fear of the errand he had been sent on. Then, the padawan disappeared much the way he had came, with Avien staring after him. A smile crossed her face, which seemed incongruous with the entire situation. Someone was awake and knew that something was going on; any padawan running as fast as possible was proof for that.

She walked alone in the darkness until she finally reached the Spire. Once in the Spire, Avien smiled at dim memories of being sent here for one offense or another. The Jedi Council Chamber door loomed in front of her. Still, there was silence. No soft murmurs emitted from the door, which would indicate that something was being discussed. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

A little discouraged at the thought of her being the only one in the world that knew something being amiss, Avien raised a hand and hesitantly knocked on the Chamber door. Now, if you?re going to interrupt something, at least don?t be so timid about it, she chastised herself. She put a little more force into it and pounded the door harder. The room stood still with echoes of her knocking resonating in her mind. Enough is enough, she decided, and she pushed open the door.

Avien?s breath caught as she glanced around the anteroom. It looked as though, moments before she appeared, the two guards who always stood side by side before the Chamber had simply disappeared. A spear lay propped against the wall and another one lay across the floor. She could almost imagine one guard squatting on the ground, rolling a pair of dice for entertainment, while the other watched the room and its two doors carefully.

Feeling uneasy about the whole situation, Avien opened herself to the Force again, this time with a different purpose. The terror and pain had been muted somewhat, but it still remained and was still fairly intense. She pictured the Jedi Chamber in her mind and carefully began to feel for any sort of life in there. It, too, felt empty and still. Drawing her lightsaber out from its loop on her belt, she revealed the blade and held it ready. The Force heightened all of her sense, and so she clung to it, and opened the door into the famed Jedi Council Chamber.

The Chamber stood dark and shadowed. Through the huge picture windows that lin

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Windu paced back and forth in front of the intruder. His hands drawn behind him, he appeared pensive. Finally, he stopped directly in front of the seated man. ?So, why did you decide that skulking into the Jedi Council Chamber was a good idea? I can?t puzzle it out for myself because few people are brave enough, if one could call it that, to even enter with permission.?

The interloper took a deep breath. He looked strangely relaxed in the chair, talking to one of the highest Jedis in the world. ?Since you are probably wondering, I will begin with my name, which is Randen Hasnron. I have come from Tatooine. As you are probably unaware, that planet still functions in a feudal system, in which slaves and dictators are a normal part of life. I used to be an active member of the former, until at which point I liberated myself by attacking my master and stealing a star speeder for escape. The only problem is that I have many friends on that planet that I would also like to liberate. After seeking help in many places, this was the only one I thought might consider my question of help. I only need help in getting a smuggling system in place so that I need only make runs. First, though, I need to get my first crew off Tatooine so that they can help me make the following runs. For this, I ought to have some sort of assistance. Preferably Jedi support.? He looked expectantly at Mace Windu.

Windu considered Hasnron. His face was as smooth as granite, and about as readable. Avien couldn?t help but wonder what he was thinking, although she knew it was unlikely that he would share his thoughts with her. She merely stood behind him, assuming herself forgotten. As Windu finished his contemplation over the guest, he turned to address Avien.

?Knight Maralday, take this man to a set of guest chambers. This matter is for Council consideration and I cannot make the decision on my own, especially at this time of night.? He turned to Hasnron. ?You will wait for our decision, for from what you?ve told me, your entire plan rests upon it. Good night, both of you.? Windu turned to glance out one of the picture windows. I expect you to find guards for his room, Maralday. I don?t intend on anymore . . . situations this evening. I hope that you sleep well, for you are drawn into this more than you perhaps may see, Windu told her, through the Force.

Of course. May you sleep well, Master Windu. Avien turned to leave, after offering a respectful bow to her superior. Their exchange had taken no longer that a few seconds.

Avien led Randen to some spare rooms and saw that he was comfortable. She then left him and located two guards to stay outside of his door. She walked back to her room and stared out of her window a long time, contemplating what Mace Windu had said to her.

[This message has been edited by The Musical Jedi (edited 12-19-1999).]

13. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Toppers!

14. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I shall always remember that night. It was the night that the world was set into motion. Everything that came afterwards that was of such vital import came because that one night and the one man?s testimony. Mace Windu knew of it, and he tried to warn me. I missed the entire point of what he was trying to tell me, but I still knew, through the Force that something was beginning. That was why I could not sleep that night. I had not understood, and I knew that. But I also knew that something important was beginning, and I was to be involved with it, at least for a while. Still, I suppose that?s the truth about beginnings. Even if you have the feeling that something grand has set in motion, you have no idea how far it?s echoes will reach .

A soft knock came at Avien?s door. She started out of her reverie and unfolded herself from her perch on the window seat. When she opened the door, Joellian was standing there, looking a little awkward. He smiled slightly when the door opened, but the grin was gone in a flash. He looked at his feet, and he shifted his weight from one to another.

?The Jedi Council would like to see you, Knight Maralday. Immediately.? Avien could tell that the young padawan thought she had gotten herself into trouble. She was also touched that he was so concerned for her.

?Joellian, you don?t need to be worried about me. I?m sure that I have nothing to worry about.? She smiled. ?I?m sure if I am in trouble, it?s not any worse that what I have been in before.? He glanced at her uncertainly. Avien got onto her knees and looked him in the eyes. ?I?ll be okay. I promise.? He didn?t brighten much, but, to Avien?s eyes, he looked a little relieved.

The blond-headed boy led the way to the Jedi Council Chamber, walking alongside Avien. He asked her what it was like to be a full Jedi and whether or not the test of worthiness was easy to pass. She couldn?t really answer the questions about the test, though, because everyone?s experiences were different. At least, that?s what she had been told. Either way, the event had been very intimate; partly facing her greatest fear, partly most desired wish, and partly foretold future. Avien didn?t think she could discuss it with anyone, except maybe Qui-Gon, although they never had.

Abruptly, they reached the Council Chamber. Joellian gave Avien one more concerned look, before he took up his station as runner for the Jedi Masters inside. Avien was allowed into the anteroom.

As she waited, she realized that she was still in the robes she had put on the night before. She thought about all of the events of the night and began to be curious as to whether any of the Masters had felt the terrible feelings of fear and pain. Avien frowned at the thought. They must have. All of the Masters in the next room had been handling the Force since before she was born. The power they could wield greatly dwarfed any grand attempt she could have made. While she was lost in thought, one of the guards touched her arm for her attention, then led her into the Council Chamber.

As she stepped into the center of the Chamber, Avien took a deep breath. Memories of chastisements flooded back to her, but most of them were fond. She had made deep friendships with many of the Council members. And, the thought followed sadly, cried over the few deaths of Council members. She glanced around the room, seeing the members she recognized readily: Mace Windu, Yoda, Yaddle. It was depressing to her to realize how many she didn?t recognize, as well.

15. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    C'mon, I KNOW there have to be more people reading this. Tell the woman what you think!

16. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks, Hiroko. It's nice to know at least one person is reading it! Feed back is a good thing!

17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks, Hiroko. I'm glad to know someone's reading my story! Feed back is a good thing!

18. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    I'm reading it. I really like it too. I promise to post more often.

19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Hey, I'm reading this!!!

I couldn't find the thread for days but I'm glad it's back now

See ya
    Kithera

20. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    --- Oooooo, the next installment. I hope you all like it.---

Windu gazed at her, calculating the effect of what he was about to say. After a few moments, he began. ?As you found out last night, we?ve had a petition for help from one of the Outer Rim territories. Personally, I did not know what to make of it, which is why it was brought before the Council as a whole. Taking into consideration the method in which the situation was brought to our attention, we have decided to send one Jedi Knight to survey the circumstances which shroud this idea. You, Avien Maralday, are to be that Jedi. You will stay on Tatooine until further notice, giving us updates about what is going on and what sort of action you believe that the Council should take. You have three days to prepare yourself for this task. Have you any questions, Jedi Knight??

Avien stood stunned for a few seconds. Then, she recollected her fragmented thoughts. ?Is this to be an covert assignment, or am I to be in cadin?sor the entire time? Need I pack clothes and personal effects? What will I need for my task??

Yoda stared at her with his piercing gaze. ?Focused are you not. Remember the task at hand. Take only what you need, Hmmm? The rest will follow. Remember what you have been taught. That is the only thing you truly take with you. The Force will be with you always, young Knight.?

Avien swallowed quickly, glimpsing her window of opportunity. ?I must address the Council on another matter as well, while I am here. Last night, I felt a great disturbance in the Force, one that woke me from my sleep. I felt much fear, confusion, and terror. Many things died, and I did not understand what was taking place. That is why I came to the Council Chamber last night, and found our visitor from Tatooine. I was curious as to whether any one else felt this . . . . disturbance.?

The Council Chamber stood silent. The young Knight began to feel uncomfortable, as though she had said too much, or something wrong. Then, a swell of the Force drifted around her, and she knew that the Council members were discussing this development. In the back of her mind, she could sense that Qui-Gon Jinn was just now rising from his bed, and he was preparing himself for his morning exercises. His grogginess ebbed at the edge of her consciousness and had a calming effect over her.

?Extraordinary,? commented a woman whom Avien didn?t recognize. ?I think she may be the first in hundreds of years if it is true. Child, you may have the Foretelling.? Taken aback, Avien merely gaped at the notion. Yoda was the last Jedi born that had any trace of the Foretelling, and his abilities consisted entirely of mental images or views. No Jedi in five hundred years or more had a foretelling with its basis utterly within the emotions of the Force.

She stood in the circle, unsure of what to think about the whole idea. Another Jedi Master chimed in with the thought that they should test her immediately and forget the thought of sending her to Tatooine. Others merely thought that they were being foolish, there was some other rational explanation for this occurrence. The discussion grew until the room was live with the hum of the Jedis? words. Avien simply stood in the middle. Then, the theories of Avien?s Foretelling abilities were proved.

Across the plain of the Force, waves of pain and agony rippled through the minds of the Council. Avien gritted her teeth and sank to her knees with the intensity of it. The feelings had multiplied a hundredfold, a thousand fold, from what she had felt the night before. Fighting had broken out in the Jedi Temple.

The Masters, more used to this rush of feeling through the Force, busied themselves with preparation. Avien tried to stagger to her feet, but was unsuccessful. She remained on her knees, choking back tears, doubled over in pain. One of the Masters noticed her difficultly, and wrapped an arm around her, helping her to her feet. Tears streamed down Avien?s face as she felt the silence of entities of comrades, some she knew bett

21. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    WOOHOOOOO!! Wait. That's a bad thing.

*suddenly sits down, embarrassed* Cool! Your fight scenes don't suck. Qui-Gon's gonna whip out his can-o'-death on these guys, right? RIGHT?

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm glad you liked my fight scene. I personally didn't think it was that great. Out of curiousity, where does one get a can o' death?

23. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Qui-Gon Jinn stalked back and forth outside of Avien?s room. She had been put there after the Healers were through. Her back had been repaired to the best of their abilities, but it would be weeks before she was capable of being remotely active again. His mind kept drifting back to when this had happened. It was like an old movie reel that kept replaying itself in his mind. Eventually, he stopped pacing and sat down outside her door. He put his hand in his hands and waited, deep in though.

The morning was as normal, waking up a little after dawn to warm up with his light saber. Qui-Gon watched the sequence of events play out in his mind. He was dressed comfortably, for one couldn?t fight if one wasn?t entirely focused. The knee-length boots, soft breeches, and loose tunic, all the color of moss, except for the leather boots, signified the Jedi Knight was off practice and fine tune his light saber skills. In the halls, Qui-Gon had his first taste of the intruders. One was rushing down the hall, wielding a glaive. Instinct took over, and the intruder was disarmed and flat on his back before he had the time to breathe. Handling his light saber, he discovered from the weak-minded fool that the group of four was there to overthrow the Jedi Council and institute a new order of Jedi, one that consisted of both Light-sided Jedi and Dark-sided Sith. As he was talking to his captive, he felt the full strength of the fight and deaths of other Jedi through the Force. Feeling disembodied, he felt the flash of terror from Avien when two of the trespassers entered the Council Chamber. The terror was replaced by a resolve to protect her Masters, which led to the grave mistake. When the burst of pain exploded across Qui-Gon?s consciousness, he was on his feet, running to the Council Chamber, to Avien. His head sagged lower, and the stone-faced façade melted away. Tears seeped out of his eyes, closed in the pain of the memory. I wasn?t there, he chastised himself. When she needed me most, I wasn?t there. What kind of friend am I to fail when needed most? The memory of the Council Chamber drifted across his memory. It had been in ruins, with two more injured Jedi groaning on the floor before the two had been restrained. In a fit of rage towards her attacker, he had requested to discipline the one who had injured her. He was denied, but he was also told the two faced a bleak fate, for attacking their own. The two had been Jedi themselves.

Avien?s door opened. Qui-Gon leaped to his feet and looked concernedly to the Healer who exited. She smiled slightly at his presence. ?I can use your help. Your friend . . . she isn?t doing well. She needs to be moved into the infirmary. I would get assistance, but I know that no one would be as gentle as you in moving her. Would you please come in??

Qui-Gon nodded his assent. He walked in, shocked at the smell of sterility and unnatural cleanliness that affronted his sense of smell. Avien was laid upon her bed, on her stomach. Her eyes were closed and her breathing shallow. She was clothed in the long, loose drawstring pants that were used by the medical team. Her back had a long, three-inch mark where the blade had come into contact with her. Qui-Gon could see two, possibly three bone-knitters at various intervals along the mark. His breath slowed as he realized how pale and frail she looked. He reached out to her, using telepathy. Avien? Please say something. Avien, I just want to know . . . . His thought trailed off. He could sense dark, confusing, lasting dreams. He shivered at the thought of them.

The Healer glanced at him, then back to Avien. ?My name is Cadiana. Most people just call me Cadi, though.? She produced a soft, over-sized tunic and carefully worked in onto Avien?s inert form. ?You?re Qui-Gon Jinn, I?ve already gathered that. I know things may look bad, but she?s lost a lot of blood. She?s also been sedated because we can?t have someone waking up while the bone-knitters are being implanted. Now, I?m going to gently roll her onto her

24. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Just so everyone knows, I will on vacation from Dec. 25 through Jan. 5 I won't be able to post then, so I hope you, my lovely readers, will post so my story doesn't disappear into the dark depths of space! Also, COMMENTS ARE GOOD, I PROMISE!!!

25. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    --- Will someone please reassure me that my story will still be here when I got back from vacation? Please? *hears a cricket chirp* Is anyone out there?---

Avien opened her eyes and found herself in a dark room. Glancing down, she realized she had on a training suit, a skin-tight suit the color of leaves. Her hair was pulled back from her face into a bun held into place by a matching ribbon. A lightsaber lay on the floor in the middle of the room. Glancing around her, Avien noticed the tall, flying arches and the high, domed ceiling. Swallowing nervously, she realized that this was the room where the Knight trials take place. It was a place that a Jedi visits only once.

Padding softly to the middle of the room, Avien crouched down and looked at the lightsaber lying on the floor. It was her own, the one she built during her training under Master Abi Trekand. She was a kind Master, but hard as stone when she put her foot down. After Avien had been raised, she had been sent on a mission and had not come back alive. She had never felt any loss over her death, nothing beyond the usual emotions experienced through the Force. The two had never been close.

Avien gripped the Force, partly just to prove to herself she still could. She had dim memories of a fight, an attack that had just occurred, and an injury that left her on the floor of the Council Chamber. If she closed her eyes and concentrated, she could feel the cool floor beneath her cheek.

She opened the saber and gazed at the sky blue blade. Its hum was comforting. Avien?s eyes gazed beyond the blade, where she saw movement. Reaching out with the Force, she felt the same presence of the man who had injured her. With more caution since this was the second time around, she felt around herself with the Force. Someone was directly behind her as well. And, he was creeping up upon her.

Abruptly, Avien stood up, flipped around, and confronted the person behind her, all of this in one fluid movement. Making sure that the person behind her didn?t attack, she settled into a defense position and waited to see what would happen. The man she was facing was clothed from head to foot in a Jedi robe that had been dyed black. He eyed her fervently, which made Avien shiver and think of animals locating their first meal in days.

Suddenly, he struck. Avien parried with her blade and the two made a horrific crash. She felt time slowing down again, as it always did when she fought any live person. He withdrew, and Avien watched carefully, feeling out around her for his comrade. He was still lounging by one of the columns, observing their battle as it played out. The thought crossed Avien?s mind that since there was only one of her this time, he would attack if she managed to kill his friend. But only then.

The blacked-robed assailant began spinning his doubled-bladed saber. Avien watched, looking completely at ease, although inside she was sprung for the attack. When it came, she flipped gracefully over his head, landed with a light thump, and charged from the back. He turned around, but Avien was already beneath him and had given him a hit across the knees. He grunted, but made no other noise as he collapsed onto the ground. Avien kicked the double-handed saber out of his hands and stood over him. ?The Force will be with you,? she told him quietly, and then she ran him through with her blade.

Stepping back, Avien watched in wonder as the man faded from the ground. The only sign left that he had ever been there at all was his double-bladed saber. From across the room, she heard clapping, muffled by gloves or something else on the hands. The other man who had been in the room with her crossed the floor, dressed in cadin?sor. A smile crossed his face, and he strolled towards her. ?Bravo, I commend you. Those fellows generally aren?t that easy to kill, but you?ve managed it, and quite neatly so, too. It was a much better showing than the one in the Council Chamber. Unfortunately, I cannot stay to see how I would fare because I am now the only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.