main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Truth About Beginnings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Dec 15, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    The young boy settled his head against her shoulder, snuggled close to her and sticking his thumb in his mouth. Avien gave him a fond, detached smile, mentally trying to steady herself. Glancing down, she saw the saber at her side and her smile turned grim. Opening herself to the Force, a wave of sorrow washed over her. There was a disturbance, as well as absences. Suddenly, Avien began to fear the worst. ?Carridon, I need you to do something for me,? she said softly, giving his leg a gentle rub. ?I have to go see what?s going on, but I want you to keep you eyes hidden unless I tell you it?s all right.?

Obi-Wan turned his bright blue eyes on her; Avien could see curiosity in them. ?If you say so,? he replied. His brow furrowed, leaving the Jedi to wonder what was going through his mind, although she refrained from sweeping his mind to find out.

?You know I wouldn?t as if it wasn?t important,? she replied, searching his face. Nodding slowly, Obi-Wan settled back against her chest, closing his eyes dutifully. Refocusing on the Force, Avien was surprised to discover the disturbance had fled. Whatever it had been was no longer anywhere nearby.

As the pair neared the house, the first thing amiss that Avien noticed was the back door hanging on only half of its hinges, the curtains and rod lying in a heap on the ground. A breeze crossed the open area, ruffling her long, dark hair and the pile of white curtains. Despite the warm day, goose bumps appeared on Avien?s arms, and she was forced to suppress a shiver. Obi-Wan shifted uneasily in her grasp, burying his face in her shoulder. Stepping through the threshold, the Jedi heard the crunch of glass beneath her boots. That must have been the crash, she mused, startled by how easily she settled back into the mode of being a Jedi.

?Please, my babe, don?t e?er forget,? she began singing quietly, realizing that Obi-Wan was beginning to be uncomfortable from her mood. Avien walked into the kitchen and looked around. ?I always will love you.? Nothing out of place was there. She slipped out into the hallway.

?Nothing can ever change that, no thing on heaven or earth,? Avien shivered, remember that her father had sung that to her when she couldn?t sleep, or even when she was upset. ?For even in your darkest hour, my love will always be yours. . .? The tune died from her lips as she rounded a corner in the hallway. She felt her feet give way beneath her, and she crashed to the ground on her knees, still cradling Obi-Wan. In the hall, attached to the wall with an old-fashioned pin, was a note written in a scrawling hand, in dark red ink. Also pinned to the wall were two locks of hair, one dusty blond and the other blond. Suddenly, Avien knew what had happened. The absences, the feeling of dread earlier. It all made horrific sense to her. They were gone, Bria and Adele, dead.

Avien gritted her teeth, guilt washing over her. This was her fault, at least indirectly. ?Damn the Sith,? she murmured quietly, earning another shifting from Obi-Wan. Walking over, she pulled the note from the wall, ripping it and leaving the rest. Justice is always served in the end. it read. Now we are even. Avien blinked, and looked at the opposite side, which was blank. A sense of resolve filled her.

?It is time for us to leave, Obi-Wan,? she said quietly, leaving the hallway. ?You don?t need to hide your face anymore.? Obi-Wan laid curled against her torso and looked up at her, a confused sadness in his eyes. Avien almost smiled faintly, feeling that he already knew what had happened, to some extent. ?There?s nothing left for us here.?

2. LadyJedith

LadyJedith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    How nice to see you again, dear Musical! Thank you for answering me, and be sure: I'm always here enjoying your story.

3. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Blurred buildings flitted through the window as Avien sat in the transport seat with Obi-Wan cradled in her arms. He was asleep, his diminutive chest rising and falling slowly. One of her hands was toying with a lock of his dusty colored hair. It seemed strange to be coming home to the Temple in such a fashion, even though Avien knew it was the right time. On the seat beside her lay her finished saber. The crystals had been added, and it was fully functional.

Her thoughts drifted to the Temple, and Avien couldn?t help but wonder how Qui-Gon was doing. Through letters, they had kept in touch. The last she had heard was that he had been given a padawan, one with a name that never stuck in her head. Her friend had been very proud of the honor and was putting his all into it. Last she had heard, they had an unusually strong bond. Avien smiled faintly; she looked forward to seeing her friend again.

Obi-Wan shifted, moaning softly. He had trouble sleeping since the day Avien had worked on her saber, and once the boy had realized what exactly happened, the Knight had been unable to get more than an arm?s length from her young nephew. She cooed wordlessly to him, trying to soothe the muffled whimpers. His small hands clutched at her gray tunic, and the noises faded until they were inaudible. Avien could tell he was still doing it, though, from the way his back rose and fell in gasps for breath.

She looked back out the window. It won?t be long, now, carridon, she thought, sending comfort to the small boy. Beneath her feet, the floor shook slightly as the craft prepared for descent. The low-hanging clouds appeared at the window as it descended, then the scene out the window gave way to a dreary picture of silver buildings and falling rain, blown in sheets by a strong wind. Soon, Avien saw the spires that signified the Jedi Temple and a smile spread across her face. It was good to be home.

A slight tremble told the Knight of her arrival, and she gently laid the sleep child on the bench she had been sitting on a moment earlier. Walking across the small chamber, Avien grabbed her cloak which had been hanging on a hook and swung it around her shoulders. Then, she crossed it again, clipping her saber to her belt and picking up Obi-Wan. The pilot appeared, tipping his head respectfully. ?Jedi Knight, we?ve arrived.?

Avien smiled, shifting her sleeping burden. ?Thank you, Eninan. It?s been a pleasure, as always.? He tipped his head again and disappeared back into the cockpit. With her free arm, Avien keyed the password to the door and waited as it decompressed and hissed open.

Under the shelter of a small roof, three robed figures waited patiently as Avien walked across the launching pad, her cape being whipped in the wind and her face stinging from the cold moisture. The wind caught her unbound hair and played with it, tossing the long locks about. Everything settled back into place as she came in out of the wind with the other three. Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, and his padawan regarded Avien as she looked back on the trio. ?Welcome home,? Qui-Gon finally said, taking his friend and her burden into his arms in a warm embrace.

4. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    I've missed three incredibly telling post and so tragic. You write with wonderful emotion Musical

5. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow. So great as always. Keep up the wonderful story.

6. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Aawww...the baby Obi-Wan is so cute... the last few posts were so sad (but in a good way, of course.) Awesome, you did a great job of expressing emotion, especially Obi-Wan's. Now I'm wondering how Obi got to be Qui-Gon's apprentice, not Avien's.

Again, let's all say it together: Awwww!

Post soon, can't wait, keep it up!

7. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *smiles* Thank you, all of you! I'm glad that you all like the emotion. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if I overdo it.

Patience, all will be revealed to you . . .

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    ---A little prepartory piece for grander things to come. By the way, I have no clue how to spell Qui-Gon's padawan's name. If it needs correcting, please tell me! Thanks!---

?Welcome back,? Mace Windu smiled as the quartet walked down the hall. ?The Council is looking forward to meeting with you about your sabbatical, although at the moment because of some Senate affairs, only Yoda and I are available to meet. You will be coming to the Chamber, or would you prefer to visit your room first??

Avien returned the smile, shifting the slumbering Obi-Wan in her arms. ?I?ll go to the Chamber, Mace. My things are being delivered to my room so there?s really no point in my being there just yet. But, I would need to do something with him,? she added, nodding down to the boy. She looked expectantly at Qui-Gon.

He shrugged, giving a look to the pensive, quiet padawan on his other side. ?I think we can handle him. What do you think, Xanatos?? The padawan gave an unsure gesture, turning his dark eyes first on his master and then on Avien. His stoic silence intrigued her.

?All right then, Mace, I?ll go with you. I think Obi-Wan?ll be in good hands,? she smiled, relinquishing him to her friend.

?And if the child awakes?? the padawan finally asked, looking at Obi-Wan.

It was Avien?s turn to shrug. ?Tell him where I am and explain a little about the Temple to him, I guess. I?m sure you?ll be fine.? Xanatos looked uncertain but didn?t comment. Avien just smiled to herself. It was good to be home.

[This message has been edited by The Musical Jedi (edited 04-24-2000).]

9. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Musical wonderfully done!
    I can't wait to see this fateful first encounter with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and of course Xanatos' reaction.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, this is getting interesting! Xanatos as a Padawan!

I can't help hoping that Obi-Wan is a little terror; climbing up on things, jumping on Qui-Gon's bed (it would be even better if Qui-Gon were still in it), getting his hands on Xanatos' light saber, not quite potty-trained, and so on!

But whatever you have planned for Obi-Wan, I'd love to read it--soon!

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Avien appeared before the Council as she was, and always would be. Her hair unbound and her cadin?sor slightly rumpled in use, and the outer robe shed by the door, the young Knight looked more like an older padawan than her rightful station. At least, she did until you looked into her determined eyes. The Knight had matured since seen last.

Yoda sat in his chair with Mace nearby. Avien kneeled on the floor in front of the pair, thankful for the intimate meeting with her comrades, even though most of the proceedings were formalities.

?Ready to do your duties, are you, Knight?? Yoda inquired, tapping his gimmer stick.

Avien turned her eyes to him, giving the diminutive Master a smile. ?Of course I am, Master Yoda, otherwise I wouldn?t have returned. I have settled the things that needed to be.?

Yoda murmured thoughtfully to himself before his next question. Mace simply observed the procedures, interjecting when he thought necessary. ?Heard of the news, we did. The deaths of your brother and sister-in-law, told to us. Affect you, will this not?? The smile faded from Avien?s lips.

?Yes, it has affected me, but I have things under control. I?ve grown a lot away from the Temple, Master. Even with their deaths, I have found a purpose that I?d lost since my return before. There is a reason I?m here; a reason that I bear the burdens I must.?

?Turn to the child you brought, your thoughts do,? the green Master said, leaning forward on his stick a little.

Avien looked at him, the sharp green eyes considering. ?You?re right, Master. He is part of the purpose I must help fulfill. I feel it is my duty to seem him trained to a great Jedi Master. I believe it to be his destiny.?

?Strong words, Aviendha. Very strong words,? Mace commented behind the hands folded thoughtfully at his face.

?What is a Jedi if she isn?t strong?? she replied with a grin. ?As you both know, I possess the ability of foretelling dreams. I have seen him and know that he must be trained. Otherwise, that which we work for will be lost.?

?The Chosen One, do you refer to?? Yoda asked in low tones.

?No, I do not,? she responded, focusing inward. ?But they will have a connection, though what I know not. It?s not that he?s lacking in inane ability. The child is a natural.?

?So do you intend to take the boy on as a padawan when he is of age and ability?? the dark-skinned Jedi asked.

?I will, if the Council thinks it best,? she began, turning her piercing eyes on him, ?but I will say now, and hold to this thought, that I am not the one he would benefit most from. I would like to be his caretaker, though, until he is old enough to live in the dorms. Then, he will live with his Master, whomever that may be.? A twinkle appeared in her eye, leaving no doubt for the Council members that she already knew who the Master would be.

Mace glanced at Yoda, taking into consideration what she had said. The older Jedi nodded, the tips of his ears waving. ?So shall it be, then.? Mace smiled, his agreement evident. Avien bowed her head in acquiescence, a faint smile on her face. The talk quickly turned to other things as the three friends caught up on old news.

I think my Microsoft Word is acting up becuase normally it spaces itself out . . . Hmm . . .

[This message has been edited by The Musical Jedi (edited 04-24-2000).]

12. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    You spelled Xanatos right. (At least I think so.) Gee, I wonder who Obi-Wan's master will be when he gets older... Great work.

13. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    And this, my dear friends, is where life becomes a whole lotta fun for the writer . . .

Qui-Gon and Xanatos walked back to their shared apartment with the Master still carrying a sleeping Obi-Wan. Every once in a while, the young padawan would cast a glance at the boy curiously, but didn?t venture to say anything. Then again, he had never been very talkative.

The trio entered the room and Qui-Gon deposited the boy on the couch until he woke up. Then he settled into his chair and picked up a datacard report on troubles in the Alderaan system. Xanatos disappeared into his room. A few minutes later, the trouble began.

Obi-Wan awoke, terrified when he realized he didn?t know where he was. Sitting up and almost falling off the couch, he attracted the attention of the Master when he began a scream from the depths of his being.

?Ahhhhhhhhhhh-veeeeeeeeeeeee!? he wailed, looking around for his aunt, plainly terrified.

Looking slightly mortified, Qui-Gon quickly put down the datapad and stooped down next to the crying boy. ?Avien will be back later. I promise,? he said in soothing tones.

Giving him a glare, Obi-Wan shook his head obstinately. ?I want Avi!? he wailed again, as loud as his little lungs would permit.

Xanatos peered out of his door, looking slightly annoyed and very curious. ?What are you doing to him, Master?? he inquired.

?Nothing!? Qui-Gon replied, holding his hands up as if to prove. Turning halfway to face his padawan, the great Jedi Master shrugged. ?I didn?t do anything!? Seeing his chance, Obi-Wan slipped off the couch and made a run for the door on short legs.

?Master!? Xanatos cried, pointing to the escapee. The door was flung open, and Obi-Wan was gone in search of Avien. Rising swiftly, Qui-Gon hurried to the door with his padawan close behind.

The pair continued out into the hall, where there was no sign of the younger boy. Xanatos sighed, giving his braid a nervous tug. ?Now what?? he asked.

Looking one way, then the other, Qui-Gon shook his head. ?You take left and I take right, padawan. Let me know if you find him,? he added, heading off towards the lifts.

His padawan sighed. Learning the Jedi arts isn?t supposed to be like this, he mused to himself, heading left as instructed.

14. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    *snort*

Awesome! I've always been kind of curious about what life with Xanatos was like. This is going to be hilarious... I have foreseen it.

15. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    <laughs> Oh, this is going to be good. I can't wait until you write more! (This sounds a lot like when I babysit. Thank goodness they don't have the Force!)

16. Kirixchi Kenobi

Kirixchi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2000
    *hops on one foot* More! More! More!

17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for all the responses!! I hope to post tomorrow afternoon, homework willing. And, Kirixcha, thank you very much for you comments in the fav story thread!! You really made my night.

18. Kirixchi Kenobi

Apr 24, 2000
    This is the BEST story. Post more soon.

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I know this is really short, but it is better than nothing, right?

The young padawan began searching his hall, trying to find the younger boy with the Force. It wasn?t much use, though, since Obi-Wan didn?t use it and Xanatos was that experienced. He shook his head, feeling frustrated. The quiet, pensive boy was used to tasks like this.

Suddenly, a flash of blond streaked across the hallway that made a t-intersection with the one Xanatos was in. Breaking off into a run, the padawan hoped the boy didn?t move as quickly as he had before. He slid to a stop, examining the now empty hallway. ?Where could he have gone?? the padawan questioned slowly.

Taking long steps, he began looking in the hallway, coming across an open door about halfway down. Peering in, Xanatos discovered it was a janitor?s closet. He glanced around, noticing blond locks appearing over the tip of a low shelf covered in brushes. ?Gotcha!? he cried, making a dive for Obi-Wan.

With a cry of shock, the blond head darted away. Xanatos crashed into the shelf and the brushes, knocking off them and some bottles of concentrated cleaners, one of which shattered on the floor. The liquid splattered everywhere, filling the room with a sickly strong scent of lemon. Carefully pulling himself up, the padawan looked in dismay at his now-speckled robe. The lemon scent also clung tenaciously to the garments, making his nose wrinkle in disgust. He turned in time to see Obi-Wan flee from the room. Realizing he?d have to deal with the mess later when the boy was apprehended, Xanatos sighed, stood up, and continued the chase.

20. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Lol! It's great. The little stories are great.

21. Kirixchi Kenobi

Apr 24, 2000
    If anyone wants to read this straight through without the comments/changing pages, I have it archived on my site now.
    The site main address is http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us

the story is at http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us/obifanfic/thetruth.html http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us/obifanfic/thetruth.html

It still rocks Musical.

22. Kirixchi Kenobi

Apr 24, 2000
    If anyone wants to read this straight through without the comments/changing pages, I have it archived on my site now.
    The site main address is http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us

the story is at http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us/obifanfic/thetruth.html http://www.geocities.com/jedi_kenobi_us/obifanfic/thetruth.html

It still rocks Musical.

23. LadyJedith

LadyJedith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    It is wonderful to see your sage continuing, dear Musical, I?ve read it from the very beginning just now. It was great!
    You have a gift for making aphorisms; your phrases seem to be? sculptured, sharpened? ?It was time for her to rebuilt both her lightsaber and herself.? ? this one is absolutely classic. I was also deeply impressed by your description skills. Using several strokes, writing down a couple of words you get the point - a scene is heart touching. And one more thing: reading your novel is like listening a symphony. All the characters have their unique tunes, ?musical themes? ? that?s really amazing how you?ve presented Xantos using a few shades, a few notes?

24. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thank you for all the comments everyone! It's always nice to get up in the morning and see my story still on the first page. You guys are what make writing fun.

25. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    In agreement with LadyJedith I am. Your story is one of the reasons I read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.