main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Truth Shall Set You Free (Obi-Qui AU) Author's note 8/7/08! Thank You!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedidas3, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Hi! I'm new here although I have been lurking a long time. I finally got the courage up to try my hand at writing. This is the first part of an idea I had. I guess it would be a variation of a theme but I hope I can add a different test. Please provide feedback...I welcome it as well as suggestions for improvement, etc. Thanks for giving me this opportunity.

The Truth Shall Set You Free

Part 1

The frightened padawan huddled in the corner of his darkened room. He preferred the darkness for it hid the aftermath of what had just transpired. Tears ran freely down his cheeks, staining his tattered robe. He studied his trembling hands?hands that had just taken the life of his master. There wasn?t a doubt in the mind of the padawan that he had just committed a heinous act. However, the heart of the young man was completely numb. He could not allow himself to feel anymore. His master had spent years teaching him how to hide his pain. He had become familiar with pain both physically and emotionally and the emptiness he was experiencing at the moment was a welcome relief.

He knew that very soon the solitude that he craved would be interrupted. Within a few minutes, his room would be full of other Jedi. Whenever a member of the order died, his or her passing would be felt among the other Jedi. His master had died such a violent death; there would be no question that his passing would have been known throughout the temple. The padawan felt nothing at the death of his master, not even the sometimes devastating effects of a severed training bond. His master had severed that bond long ago when he had ravaged the teenager?s mind. The only thing that he was aware of was the murmuring of voices outside the door of his quarters.

The padawan wished he could raise his shields, but that ability had also been taken away from him by his master. The master would shield the padawan?s mind so that nobody was aware of anything that happened between the two of them. Even the council had been blinded to the seriousness of the situation that had been developing over the years. The young Jedi startled when he felt a gentle but yet a firm grip on his arm. He looked up in the eyes of the Jedi master who was leaning over him.

?Padawan? Are you alright? What happened here?? The voice was inquisitive yet calming to the distraught padawan.

The Jedi master waited patiently for an answer but there was none forthcoming. He knelt down so he was face to face with the young man. Accessing the force, he tried to brush the mind of the padawan but was met with waves of agony and despair. Quickly retreating, he erected his own shields to ward off the pain that was evident in the soul of the being sitting before him. The padawan attempted to retreat further into the corner at the unwelcome intrusion of the master.

The Jedi master spoke once more, ?Padawan, can you tell me what happened here? What happened to your master??

?He?s dead,? came the raspy reply from the cowering figure.

?I know that young one. Can you tell me what happened??

?I killed him,? the padawan whispered. ?I killed Master Elad.? Exhaustion began to claim the apprentice as he leaned his head against the wall. ?I?m just so tired?I just wanted it to stop.?

A nervous energy filled the room as other Jedi who had gathered began to react to the padawan?s words. Rumors and ideas that this apprentice must be full of the dark side flowed from one side of the room to the other. Ignoring the low roar of voices behind him, the Jedi master continued to press for information. He truly believed that things were not always as they seemed to be. ?What is your name, young one??

The padawan choked back a sob. ?Obi-Wan?Obi-Wan Kenobi.?

The Jedi master knew of the young apprentice and of his slain master. Master Elad was well known for his aloof manner and his strict authoritarian approach. He had only trained one other padawan and that student had left the order before he could complete his trials. Whenever he

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    OOOOOOO! *comes out of lurkerhood*

This looks great! Congrats on your first story! I felt for Obi-Wan, poor kid. :( But him and Qui-Gon not together? And what did Elad do?

Can't wait for an update! Bravo!

-Krystal

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What a beginning! I eagerly look forward to more.

4. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    KrystalBlaze: Thanks for reading and being the first response! I really appreciate the support!

Valary_Scott: Thank you so much! The next post should be up Tuesday. Real life is getting in the way this weekend!

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow fantastic beginning, really well done.

His master had spent years teaching him how to hide his pain. He had become familiar with pain both physically and emotionally and the emptiness he was experiencing at the moment was a welcome relief.

Wow if the master was that kind of man, maybe it's good that he's dead?

Looking forward to more of this!

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great beginning. I liked that Obi-Wan was so numb and yet horrified that he had done such a thing. It was obvious that he had been driven to it but what will the Jedi do about a padawan that had killed his master?

Looking forward to more.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome to the boards jedidas3.

This has a wondeful feel of past fics when JA stories were the norm. [face_love] [face_love] Excellent intrigue that makes us wonder exactly what happened to Obi-Wan.

If you're making one, I'd love to be added to the PM list for updates. :)

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What an impressive first story!!

My heart just breaks for poor Obi-Wan and I hope he will accept Qui-Gon's help and not beat himself up for killing Elad.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D==D==D=

9. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Layren: Thanks so much for reading. I hope you enjoy this next part!

dianethx: More will be revealed in due time. Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate the support.

Healer Leona: Thanks for the warm welcome. Thank you for the nice compliment. I enjoy stories in the JA era and I hope I can do this one justice. I'll be glad to let you know when I update. Thanks you for reading.

KELIA: I hope you enjoy the next part. Thank you for reading.

Here is the next part as promised. Thank you all for reading and I hope that you enjoy it.

Part 2

Qui-Gon attempted to calm his racing mind. Thoughts of the young padawan in the healer?s wing consumed him. The boy was frightened and hurting and the Jedi master sensed that Obi-Wan Kenobi?s problems were just beginning. Qui-Gon was finding it difficult to believe that a padawan would kill his master in cold blood; but yet, there was no doubt in what Obi-Wan had said to him. He remembered the haunted look in the eyes of the apprentice when he confessed to killing Master Elad. The Jedi master felt the youth?s pain and sorrow, but there was also an emptiness in the heart of the boy that he could not explain.

As Qui-Gon entered the healer?s wing, a scream echoed through the hall. Recognizing that the desperate cries belonged to none other than Obi-Wan, the Jedi quickened his pace. He entered the room and discovered several healers around the apprentice struggling to keep him in bed. The heart wrenching pleas from the padawan threatened to tear at Qui-Gon?s very soul, threatening to open wounds that had taken a long time to heal. Many years ago, Qui-Gon Jinn had sworn an oath to himself. After the betrayal of his former apprentice, Xanatos, he vowed to never take another padawan. The hole that was left in his heart was too great for anyone else to fill. Dismissing those thoughts to the far reaching corners of his mind, Qui-Gon turned his focus to the matter at hand.

The master was surprised at the sheer intensity of Obi-Wan?s struggles. He had seemed so weak and tired earlier. Defeat clung to the apprentice as if it had been the only companion he had known. Qui-Gon stepped forward in the padawan?s line of sight.

?Padawan Kenobi, you must calm down.? Qui-Gon realized that he sounded harsher than he intended, but he also knew that he had to try and put the padawan at ease. Moving in front of one of the healers, he took Obi-Wan?s arms and grasped them firmly.

?Look at me, Padawan.? When he was certain that he had Obi-Wan?s attention, he continued. ?You need to calm down. We just want to help you.?

Obi-Wan could not ignore the man who stood before him. There was something about this master Jedi that compelled the padawan to listen. He ceased his fight against the healers and collapsed back on the bed. Obi-Wan was spent both physically and emotionally. Sweat covered his pale face as he attempted to slow his breathing. He continued to focus on the voice of Master Jinn as he tried to soothe the apprentice?s frayed nerves.

?That?s it, Obi-Wan. Focus on the here and now. Don?t concentrate on what has been. Right now, you must allow the healers to help you.?

Qui-Gon released Obi-Wan?s arms as the healers moved to restrain the padawan. He immediately sensed the fear returning as it threatened to overtake the youth once again. ?No Obi-Wan?remember to focus. Just breathe.? Standing to his full height, the Jedi master turned to Master Healer Nathe who was in charge of Obi-Wan?s case. Qui-Gon had never particularly cared for the healer and found it difficult to hide his disdain. He thought the healer to be arrogant and aloof. These were not characteristics that in Qui-Gon?s mind made a true healer. ?Are those restraints really necessary? As you can see, the boy has calmed down considerably.?

?Master Jinn, we do appreciate your help in controlling Padawan Kenobi, but your services are no longer required,? replied Master Nathe.

?I did not control him. I me

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

The master was surprised at the sheer intensity of Obi-Wan?s struggles. He had seemed so weak and tired earlier. Defeat clung to the apprentice as if it had been the only companion he had known. Qui-Gon stepped forward in the padawan?s line of sight.

?Padawan Kenobi, you must calm down.? Qui-Gon realized that he sounded harsher than he intended, but he also knew that he had to try and put the padawan at ease. Moving in front of one of the healers, he took Obi-Wan?s arms and grasped them firmly.

?Look at me, Padawan.? When he was certain that he had Obi-Wan?s attention, he continued. ?You need to calm down. We just want to help you.?

Obi-Wan could not ignore the man who stood before him. There was something about this master Jedi that compelled the padawan to listen. He ceased his fight against the healers and collapsed back on the bed.

Awwwwww that part was so heartbreaking. Obi-Wan is clearly afraid of being restrained... he's been abused for certain. So sweet that Qui-Gon got him to be able to calm down... [face_love]

?That has not been proven. That is why I?m here?to discover what happened.? Qui-Gon was quickly losing his patience with the Master Healer.

?You will have to wait, Master Jinn.?

Refusing to be intimidated, Qui-Gon smiled at the healer. ?Fine. I will be outside in the waiting area.?

?I don?t know how long it will take. Perhaps you should return to your quarters and I will contact you when I?m done.?

Really this woman claims to be a Healer? She clearly cares nothing for her patient if she instantly jumps to the conclusion that he's murdered in cold blood...

Enjoying this story very much :D

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    The poor kid. He was obviously terrified of being restrained - indicates that he was in the past and not in a good way. I'm glad that Qui-Gon was able to calm him down a bit but then Obi's reaction was also troubling. He seems so desperate and despairing.

?No Master Jinn. I have no rights. I killed my master. I?m a murderer.? Obi-Wan averted his eyes from the Jedi Master.

?Padawan Kenobi?Obi-Wan, please don?t say anything else. After the healers check you over, we will talk. I think I can help you if you will just allow me to do so.? Qui-Gon studied the apprentice closely. The desolation of the youth?s spirit was manifested by the barren gaze in his eyes.

?There is no need to waste your time, Master. Nothing can change what I?ve done.? Obi-Wan closed his eyes and resigned himself to wait for the future.

That doesn't sound good.

Looking forward to more. If you have a PM list, please put me on it. Thanks.

12. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I can't help but feel that there has to be some reason behind Obi-Wan killing his master. :( :(

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Abuse - whatever form it takes - can destroy too many lives. Hopefully (who am I kidding, of course he will) Qui-Gon will be able to find the truth and as your title says, the truth shall set him free.

Wonderful of Qui to be so understanding, Obi is desolate, and the healer is - humph, inconsiderate.

14. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Layren: I'm so glad you are enjoying this story. Hope you like the next post as well.

dianthex: Desperate and despairing is a good way to describe Obi's plight. Thanks for much for reading.

Healer Leona: There is a reason for Obi killing his master. However, you won't find out what it is in the next post.:D Again, my many thanks for reading this story.

Valairy_Scot: I'm so honored that you are reading this story...thank you so much!

Thanks to everyone who is reading this. I hope you enjoy the next part. It's a little longer since I won't be able to post again until Monday.

Part 3

Master Mace Windu sat in his customary seat next to Master Yoda listening intently as the council discussed the murder of Master Elad and the fate of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Though quiet and reserved by nature, the Jedi master was not one to be reckoned with in battle. He was considered to be one of the most respected Jedi in the Order. His wisdom and power were deemed to be second only to Master Yoda. For all his knowledge and strength, he found himself uncertain what to do about the current situation. The other council members each expressed their own opinions?some were argumentative, some were demanding immediate justice, and some simply were looking for answers.

Silence was demanded by a simple tap of Master Yoda?s gimer stick. Rising from his seat, the diminutive master made his way to the center of the council chamber. A sense of reverence swept through the room as the council members waited for Yoda to speak. Even though he was small in stature, Master Yoda commanded great honor and respect among all the Jedi.

?Solving nothing this is. Opinions and judgments you make without knowing the whole truth. Agree we do, that wrong the padawan was in his actions. But the reason we must be sure of before declaring a verdict.?

?Master Yoda, if I may speak?? Master Windu rose from his seat and stood beside Yoda. ?In listening to the members of the council, many genuine concerns were voiced. But one thing we have forgotten to ask ourselves is why we did not see this coming. Different ones of us knew that the relationship between Master Elad and Padawan Kenobi was not always smooth. We seem to have this idea that all Master/Padawan relationships are made by the will of the Force. This is obviously not the case. A padawan has admitted to killing his master in cold blood. Something is amiss here. I agree with Yoda in that we obviously don?t know the whole truth. I also know that Master Yoda has asked Master Jinn to talk with Padawan Kenobi and try to discover what happened.?

?Are you sure that Master Jinn should be involved with this investigation?? Master Adi Gallia inquired. She and her own apprentice Siri Tachi formed one of the more well known Master/Padawan teams. ?I do not doubt his ability to handle the investigation, but Qui-Gon does not always??

?Question my decision you may. Question the will of the Force you can not!? The usually calm demeanor of the powerful Jedi master was being sorely tested by this council meeting. He needed to speak with Qui-Gon and with Obi-Wan. It was no secret that Padawan Kenobi had always held a special place in Yoda?s heart. Yoda knew that the young man?s light in the Force was always bright even though the Force seemed to be forging an impossible road for the padawan to travel. ?This meeting is adjourned. Meet again we will when more we know.?

The council members left the chambers without resolving the matter of what to do with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Mace stayed behind with Yoda as the two stared out at the magnificent view of the city. As the sun began to set and cast shadows across the room, Yoda could only hope that the shadows that were in his mind would clear and provide him the answers that he sought. ?We cannot lose this boy. Important to the future of the Jedi this one is.?

Mace stared at Yoda as a myriad of questions flooded his mind. ?Have you seen something in Keno

15. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    Intriguing concept. ;)
    Spotted just one typo: "His wisdom and power *was* deemed to be second only to Master Yoda." -> His wisdom and power were deemed..

If you have a PM list for this could you please add me?

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Yoda released the young padawan from the restraints. ?In your life, so much pain has there been. More there is to come.? He reached down and took Obi-Wan?s hand stroking it gently. ?Here I will be.?

Doesn't sound very encouraging. :(

Excellent post.

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I love hurt comfort stories. Obi-Wan certainly has some inner demons to fight. That he's fighting the restraints and appears to be terrified of them does not bode well for what he's had to go through with his dead Master. Plus the padawans think that he's in the healer's ward a lot. Not good.

I love that Qui-Gon is so persistant.

This was chilling.
    Obi-Wan shook his head as he licked his parched lips. ?No, that?s where you?re wrong. I have no fight left in me. There?s nothing left to fight for.? The young Jedi closed his eyes as he tried to block out the sounds of the healer?s wing. He wanted to find some place safe, but he had learned over the years that there was no where that he could hide that made him completely safe. He had not even been allowed to retreat in the depths of his mind for comfort. He was always followed and forced back to the reality he had tried to escape from.

Great job. Looking forward to more.

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, Obi-Wan is hiding something! It really looks like he didn't have a very close relationship with him master if breaking any bond between them didn't affect him much. Or maybe breaking the bond was an improvement for Obi-Wan, if there was one at all? Maybe this was not such a nice master after all? Qui-Gon will have to find some way to break through Obi-Wan's noble silence.

19. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    padawan_learner86: Thanks for spotting that typo. I can't believe I let that one slip through the cracks. Anyway, thanks again and I appreciate you taking the time to read.

Healer Leona: Thank you! I'm so honored that you are reading my story![face_blush]

dianthex: Yes, Qui-Gon is very persistant! Thank you for reading!

ardavenport: I'm sure that if anyone can break through to Obi, it will be Qui-Gon. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Next post is up!

Part 4

Garen and Bant quietly slipped into Obi-Wan?s room. They were surprised to see Master Yoda climbing off the bed of their friend. They each bowed, showing their respect as Yoda approached them.

?Good that you have come, it is. Needs his friends, he does.?

?Master Yoda, how is he? Is he going to be okay? We saw Master Jinn in the hallway and he said that Obi killed Master Elad. Is that true? What?s going to happen to Obi?? Bant was anxious for answers to her questions. She hoped with all her heart that the Jedi master could provide them.

?One question at a time, young Bant. Answer them I will.? Glancing back at the sleeping youth, Yoda sighed. His eyes contained a sadness that the Force seemed to echo. ?Resting he is. Tired his spirit is. Killed his master, he has confessed to.?

?There has to be some explanation!? exclaimed Garen. ?Master Yoda, you know as well as I do, Obi couldn?t do that. Even with everything that?? The padawan abruptly stopped his tirade with when he felt Bant gently nudge him.

This action did not go unnoticed by the Jedi master as he studied the two padawans. He easily sensed that they were trying to hide something. Yoda decided to allow Master Jinn to handle the two friends because Qui-Gon always needed in a lesson or two in patience. ?Discover the truth we must. Anything you know of the matter, tell Master Jinn you will. Remember, his friends you are. Help him you must, even if Obi-Wan does not wish it. Meditate I will. Take my leave of you I will, but remember what I said, you must.? Yoda left Bant and Garen alone with their friend.

They moved to stand on either side of the bed. Bant and Garen each took one of Obi-Wan?s hands. Bant leaned over to straighten Obi-Wan?s padawan braid as she had done many times before when he had been in the healer's wing. However, this time the braid was not there. Where the braid should have been, there was nothing but a tangled taft of hair. ~Oh Obi, what happened?~ She looked up at Garen, her eyes searching for an understanding that would not come. ?Garen, what are we going to do? There?s no way we?re going to get out of telling Master Jinn. He already suspects we know something or he wouldn?t want to talk to us.?

?I know. We should have done something earlier?maybe it wouldn?t have gotten this far.?

?No?not your fault.? A barely audible whisper came from the figure in the bed. Obi-Wan opened his eyes to the sight of his two closest friends. He had heard snippets of their conversation and realized that they were talking about him. He would not allow his friends to wallow in misplaced guilt for something that he had asked them to do. Bant and Garen had always remained by his side, even when he hadn?t deserved their friendship. He had been allowed very little time to see his friends over the past few years. Master Elad had frowned upon Obi-Wan associating with his friends outside of the classroom setting. The padawan?s time had been consumed by the demands placed upon him by his master. Obi-Wan forced those memories that threatened to overcome him to the dark recesses of his mind where they belonged. He no longer had to worry about Master Elad.

?Obi?? Bant?s gentle voice broke through the fog that shrouded his mind.

?Bant. Garen. What are you guys doing here?? Obi-Wan?s voice was still weak and hoarse as he spoke. ?You shouldn?t be here.?

?Is that any way to talk to your friends? You couldn?t count this as an official visit to the healer?s wing if

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    OH, that doesn't sound good. Obi-Wan sounds like he's been beaten and tormented through the Force enough that he can't take Force use on him. His master sounds like a monster.

I liked this.
    The only thing that he was truly thankful for was the fact that they really knew very little of what had happened over the years. Ever since that day in the hallway, Obi-Wan had been careful to keep up the façade that he had created when he was around his friends or other Jedi. If they ever discovered the whole truth, he would lose them forever.
    Sounds very ominous, almost as if Obi-Wan thinks he did something bad enough to lose his friends. Of course, it could be that his dead master was warping his mind. Victims can feel that they deserved the brutality.

Great job.

21. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    :eek: The suspense! [face_hypnotized] I have to admit, I've never heard of torture by Force before. ;) That's just evil.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd sincerely wondered what was behind the scenes and this was one of my worries. Poor Obi-Wan.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm back again...and what updates to come home to. Poor Obi-Wan; so hurt that he probably believes its his fault, yet one can understand his not wanting to remember all the past - but he needs to. After all, as the Jedi say, you must FACE and then release emotions to move on.

Glancing back at the sleeping youth, Yoda sighed. His eyes contained a sadness that the Force seemed to echo. ?Resting he is. Tired his spirit is. Killed his master, he has confessed to.? Tired and wounded, indeed.

Wonderful job on this story.

24. obi-gonjinn

obi-gonjinn Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2006
    AGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    OMG This story is amazing i cannot wait for more!!!!
    Poor obi flippin heck woooooowwwwww! I'm really this story is brilliant
    you had beeter finnish it and not leave it unfinnished cause if you dont finnish it there
    shall be syber hell to pay!

I so cant wait for more Update, update soon
    Can i be added to you pm list pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!!
    Woow I hope that obi is gonna be ok and healer nathe!!! I should like to kill him violently!!!
    I hope that all ends well i love da happy endings!!!
    [face_peace] =D= =D= =D=

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ack, I missed a post, how did that happen?

Poor Obi has clearly been abused. I'm glad he's got such friends such as Bant and Garen and that they're doing the right thing in telling Qui-Gon.

Please PM me when you update so I don't miss anymore :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.